Chapter 1 The First Morning
* Edward Abbey arrives at Moab, Utah, after driving 450 miles from Albuquerque, NM, to start his job as a park ranger at the 33,000-acre Arches National Monument.
* Abbey settles into the trailer provided for him and watches the sun come up.
* Seeing ravens and hearing mice reminds Abbey he is not entirely alone. The sun comes up and snow begins to melt as he drinks his morning coffee.
Chapter 2 Solitaire
* Other park employees bring Abbey water and equipment for his stay and he invites them to stay for dinner, but they decline.
* The author eats his dinner outside, cooked over a fire.
* Abbey turns off the lights and generator, and enjoys his solitude.
Chapter 3 The Serpents of Paradise
* Abbey enjoys the mornings on his porch with feet outside.
* A rattlesnake visits Abbey and he tosses it away with a spade, realizing that the mice in...
This section contains 2,019 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)