|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bell arrives where in November 1913?
2. Bell launches the first of many trips into the desert, taking along only which employees?
3. By the end of May, 1914, Bell is back in England where she receives a prestigious gold medal from whom?
4. Who is Janet Wallach's work a biography of?
5. Bell next goes to stay with the Lascelles at their embassy home in ________, but finds it boring.
Short Essay Questions
1. What dark cloud looms on the horizon for Bell at the end of Chapter 34?
2. What actions does Bell engage in toward the end of Chapter 18?
3. What transpires for Bell between the end of 1913 and the end of January 1914?
4. What transpires when Bell arrives in Damascus in November 1913?
5. What sort of family is Gertrude Bell born into?
6. Where does Bell gain her early education?
7. What is Bell's role as a member of Cox's Political Staff?
8. What is the reaction Bell gets to her position on assisting in the establishment of an Arab State?
9. What does the author show Bell's level of comfort to be in the presence of men?
10. What aspect of her duties is Bell unhappy about and how does this change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Bell's stepmother play in her life?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Cairo Conference go from Bell's perspective? What specifically did she like or dislike?
Essay Topic 3
What is the outcome of Bell publishing her white paper entitled Review of the Civil Administration of Mesopotamia?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)