|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What location does Bell move onto following this warning to turn back?
2. In the winter of 1909 Bell makes her first journey from Syria to what region?
3. When Bell continues eastward and across the Pacific, where in North America does she initially land?
4. On this trip in Chapter 7, who besides Delaere is accompanying Bell?
5. What is suffering a decline in this country where Bell is in 1912 that draws her attention?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Bell meet in May 1911 who will become significant later in her life?
2. How does Bell win the man over she met years earlier and who will become her mentor?
3. What troubles occur in Chapter 34?
4. What has Bell learned on this trip between Damascus and Baghdad in early 1914?
5. How does Bell come to meet an individual in Chapter 7 who later comes to be her mentor?
6. What does Bell do subsequent to the warning by the Turkish soldiers toward the end of January 1914?
7. What sort of family is Gertrude Bell born into?
8. What transpires for Bell during the first half of 1918?
9. What is among the first steps Bell takes in Chapter 23 when she arrives in Baghdad?
10. What does the biography find Bell doing at the end of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the outcome of Bell publishing her white paper entitled Review of the Civil Administration of Mesopotamia?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bell fare as a student at the University of Oxford? What expectations do people have of her?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Cairo Conference go from Bell's perspective? What specifically did she like or dislike?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)