|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it by the summer of 1889 that Bell's feelings for Lascelles's son wane?
(a) They share few common interests.
(b) He buries himself in politics.
(c) He calls upon her less frequently.
(d) He is not as bright, passionate as she.
2. What is the purpose of Bell's initial trip to Jerusalem?
(a) To study Altai and enter the Arabic world.
(b) To study Arabic and enter the Arabic world.
(c) To study Bodish and enter the Arabic world.
(d) To study Hebrew and enter the Arabic world.
3. Bell reaches what location the day following her release from custody in early 1914?
4. When World War I begins, the British have concerns regarding Turkish trade routes to India and what else?
(a) Persian petroleum fields.
(b) Jordan petroleum fields.
(c) Egyptian petroleum fields.
(d) The Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.
5. January 1914 ends, water and provisions are running low, and who is sent to warn Bell to turn back?
(a) British soldiers.
(b) Turkish soldiers.
(c) Arabian sheiks.
(d) Lebanese soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 8 finds Bell is active in which movement in England in 1908?
2. Why does Hugh Bell not deem Cadogan to be a fit suitor and refuse to consent to their marrying?
3. What does Bell do for the next five years following the loss of Cadogan?
4. What is suffering a decline in this country where Bell is in 1912 that draws her attention?
5. Bell falls in love with which young man toward the end of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does author Janet Wallach establish in the opening chapters of the book?
2. How and when does Gertrude die?
3. What is transpiring in Bell's life at the beginning of Chapter 14?
4. What has Bell learned on this trip between Damascus and Baghdad in early 1914?
5. What transpires when Bell arrives in Damascus in November 1913?
6. What takes place when Bell's white paper is published?
7. What transpires in June 1914 that causes the British government to seek Bell out again?
8. Why is Bell mourning an individual in Chapter 4?
9. How does Chapter 25 open?
10. What is among the purposes of Bell's trip in May 1914?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)