|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is complicating the British ability in gaining intelligence even a year after the start of the First World War?
(a) The British have been clashing with people in Middle East for centuries.
(b) The British do not blend in with the indigenous people, culture,and religions.
(c) The region has many languages, religions, cultural differences, and a lack of trust.
(d) The British government in India and Egypt are fighting over territory.
2. In May of 1911 Bell meets Thomas Edward Lawrence whose position is what?
(a) Royal archeologist.
(b) Junior geologish.
(c) Junior archaeologist.
(d) Senior archeologist.
3. In a trip across the desert, Bell spends months documenting and photographing what?
(a) Stonehenge and treasures she finds in desert cities.
(b) The Arabian colosseum and treasures she finds in desert cities.
(c) Baghdad towers and treasures she finds in desert cities.
(d) Ancient ruins and treasures she finds in desert cities.
4. Bell reaches what location the day following her release from custody in early 1914?
5. When she learns an unrequited love who has gone to war has died in battle, Bell does what?
(a) Plunges into silent depression, which never truly lifts for duration of her life.
(b) Mourns his loss, but later meets another man and marries.
(c) Initially buries herself in work, but eventually recovers and is happy.
(d) Dates again after a time, although she never marries.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, the men Bell meets at the start of Chapter 16 are cautious in their interactions with Bell, but she soon wins them over for what reasons?
2. Janet Wallach shows Bell is more comfortable in the company of men, noting it is probably as a result of what?
3. After returning to London in 1889, Bell spends how long in social seasons without garnering any marriage proposals?
4. Who meets Bell in her office at the military intelligence agency?
5. Chapter 4 finds Bell how old and mourning the loss of Cadogan, who has died of pneumonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bell's plan when facing the challenge of getting Faisal to the throne after the Cairo Conference?
2. What is the point of Bell's trip to Jerusalem in November 1899?
3. What is the outcome when the British government has General Allenby appoint Sharif Hussein's son as the new ruler of Syria?
4. In what fashion is Bell raised?
5. What transpires when Bell arrives back in Damascus in May 1914?
6. How does Bell win the man over she met years earlier and who will become her mentor?
7. What does Bell do with King Faisal established on the Iraqi throne?
8. What is Bell's role as a member of Cox's Political Staff?
9. While successful academically, how is it Bell fails in Victorian society?
10. What does Bell do subsequent to the warning by the Turkish soldiers toward the end of January 1914?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)