|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bell determines she will have to create what for Faisal and his court for him to be successful?
(a) Requisite diplomatic procedures.
(b) Appropriate attire, cultural mannerisms.
(c) Proper ceremonial procedures.
(d) Suitable political status.
2. The first matter of business Bell undertakes in Baghdad upon her return late in 1919 is to draft a report stating that what would be a possibility within a few years?
(a) An Arab State.
(b) An Egyptian State.
(c) A Jordanian State.
(d) A Persian State.
3. Who does Chapter 25 find to be the King of Syria?
4. Which general does the British government instruct to appoint a new ruler of Syria once the war is over?
(a) General Allenby.
(b) General Allentown.
(c) General Allens.
(d) General Allenton.
5. Along which river does Bell brave wartime skirmishes and blistering heat to travel the area in search of information in Chapter 17?
6. The independent state Cox announces in the summer of 1920 is to be under the guarantee of what?
(a) North Arabic Treaty Organization (NATO).
(b) United Nations.
(c) League of Nations.
(d) Middle Eastern Allied States (MEAS).
7. What is the title of Bell's white paper she publishes in January 1921?
(a) Review of the Civil Administration of Mesopotamia.
(b) Review of the Civil Administration of Persia.
(c) Review of the Civil Administration of Iraq.
(d) Review of the Civil Administration of Arabia.
8. Bell meets up again with Lawrence at the Cairo Conference of 1921 and has what reaction?
(a) It pleases her.
(b) It dismays her.
(c) It annoys her.
9. Where is Bell's work receiving praise from in early 1917?
(a) Arab government.
(b) Mesopotamian government.
(c) British government.
(d) Persian government.
10. Faisal is eventually elected and his coronation is held when?
(a) October 31, 1921.
(b) August 23, 1921.
(c) December 25, 1921.
(d) November 24, 1921.
11. Her spirits rise on October 31, 1918 when Bell learns that the Allies have signed an armistice with which nation?
12. Chapter 32 shows the burgeoning friendship between Faisal and Bell, upon whom the king has come to rely for what advice?
(a) Both political and mundane household issues.
(b) Both mundane household and personal issues.
(c) Both political and religious issues.
(d) Both diplomatic and political issues.
13. Why does Bell leak some secret documents to an influential Arab nationalist in 1920?
(a) She seeks to encourage a democratic republic in southeastern Asia.
(b) She seeks to encourage an extensive empire in southwestern Asia.
(c) She seeks to encourage a moderate commonwealth in southeastern Asia.
(d) She seeks to encourage a constitutional government for moderate Arabs.
14. When hearing of Bell leaking the documents in 1920, what does her superior do?
(a) Severely chastises her for the indiscretion.
(b) Imposes administrative, non-judicial punishment.
(c) Reports her indiscreton to a British tribunal.
(d) Temporarily confines her to quarters.
15. When she returns from her week away in the summer of 1918, Bell learns that Cox is leaving for which British consulate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Churchill pleases Bell at the Cairo Conference of 1921?
2. Who is the only man who can buoy Bell's spirits in the face of adversity like that of the British influence in the Arab region in early 1920?
3. When Bell stops to visit the new ruler of Syria in September 1919, she learns he is lobbying for support where?
4. What is the main purpose of her month-long trip with her beloved father before returning in the first half of 1920?
5. What is Bell's reaction to losing her trusted mentor in the summer of 1918?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)