|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the summer of 1902, which individual does Bell hire?
(a) Marie Delaere.
(b) Marsha Delaere.
(c) Martha Delaere.
(d) Marilyn Delaere.
2. Although full of conviction, Bell does not carry much power in her initial role as a British spy. Why?
(a) She holds an administrative position.
(b) She is a female in a male environment.
(c) She acts in an unofficial capacity.
(d) She works for British government, not a military officer.
3. Who are the children of Hugh Bell and Florence Olliffe?
(a) Hugo, Mary, and Lisa.
(b) Hugo, Molly, and Elsa.
(c) Harry, Molly, and Lisa.
(d) Harry, Mary, and Elsa.
4. Where is Bell's heading on her next trip in Chapter 7?
(a) Islamabad, Pakistan.
(b) Rabat, Morocco.
(c) Lhasa, Tibet.
(d) Delhi, India.
5. Why is Bell active in this movement in 1908?
(a) Traditional Victorians favor segregating working and ruling classes.
(b) She favors equal voting rights.
(c) She values tradition; social movement is counter to her core Victorian beliefs.
(d) She resents male/female inequality.
6. Who joins Bell in Turkey?
(a) A requisite military squad.
(b) A requisite soldier.
(c) Two drivers and vehicles.
(d) A hired team of several guards.
7. What location does Bell move onto following this warning to turn back?
8. Who will Lawrence one day comes to be known as?
(a) Lawrence of Syria.
(b) Lawrence of Lebanon.
(c) Lawrence of Arabia.
(d) Lawrence of Palestine.
9. On her 1905 trip, what does Bell plan to study and observe so she can share her findings with the English?
(a) Bedouine and Byzantine people and Roman and Druze ruins.
(b) Roman and Byzantine ruins and the Bedouin and Druze people.
(c) Roman and Byzantine people and Bedouin and Druze ruins.
(d) Bedouine and Byzantine ruins and the Roman and Druze people.
10. By the end of her second year, Bell is the first woman to achieve first place in Modern History studies, but fails in what?
(a) Passing physics.
(b) Securing a husband.
(c) Passing chemistry.
(d) Passing calculus.
11. January 1914 ends, water and provisions are running low, and who is sent to warn Bell to turn back?
(a) Turkish soldiers.
(b) Lebanese soldiers.
(c) Arabian sheiks.
(d) British soldiers.
12. Where does Bell obtain this knowledge?
(a) Royal Geographical Society.
(b) Royal Army Engineer Academy.
(c) Royal Astronomical Society.
(d) Royal Army Geography Corps.
13. When she embarks in 1909, what knowledge does Bell take with her?
(a) Surveying, map making, and astronomy.
(b) Surveillance, map making, and astronomy.
(c) Surveying, map making, and astrology.
(d) Surveying, geography, and astronomy.
14. The local people are suspicious of Bell's motives and imprison her in the large palace for how long?
(a) From February 24 to February 28, 1914.
(b) From February 24 to March 7, 1914.
(c) From February 24 to March 3, 1914.
(d) From February 24 to March 1, 1914.
15. Chapter 16 finds Bell in the East disembarking from a what?
(a) Troop transport train.
(b) Troop transport ship.
(c) Troop transport trailer.
(d) Troop transport lorry (truck).
Short Answer Questions
1. At age two, what is the name of the Middlesbrough home Bell and her family move to?
2. The British government once more seeks Bell out at the start of World War I for her information on the region, and she advises they organize the Arabs against which people?
3. What is the purpose of Bell's initial trip to Jerusalem?
4. When in 1911 does Bell again leave England for a trip to the East?
5. Bell finds herself back in the dreariness of England during which season in 1915 in Chapter 15?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)