|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bell see along her desert journey in Chapter 5 that causes her to marvel?
(a) Ancient ruins of palaces and intact pyramids.
(b) Ancient ruins of cities and intact tombs.
(c) Ancient ruins of palaces and Stonehenge.
(d) Ancient ruins of palaces and cities.
2. Bell eventually gains the confidence of which soldiers who agree to accompany her on her journey over desert sands?
3. Bell will become a spy for which British agency during the First World War?
(a) Royal Marines.
(b) MI6, the secret intelligence service.
(c) Foreign Office.
(d) Royal Army.
4. Bell finds herself meeting members of which esteemed group in Chapter 7?
(a) Indian Civil Service.
(b) Pakistani Army.
(c) Moroccan Palace Guards.
(d) Arabian Knights.
5. Chapter 5 finds Bell traveling to Jerusalem in what month and year?
(a) September 1899.
(b) July 1899.
(c) November 1899.
(d) December 1888.
6. In Chapter 2, what school does Bell attend?
(a) Kingston University.
(b) Camelot University.
(c) Essex University.
(d) University of Oxford.
7. At age two, what is the name of the Middlesbrough home Bell and her family move to?
(b) Red River.
(c) Red Oaks.
(d) Red Barns.
8. Chapter 6 finds Bell where in the summer of 1900?
(a) At home in England.
(b) On holiday in Paris.
(c) Touring in Turkey.
(d) Returning to Jerusalem.
9. What is complicating the British ability in gaining intelligence even a year after the start of the First World War?
(a) The region has many languages, religions, cultural differences, and a lack of trust.
(b) The British government in India and Egypt are fighting over territory.
(c) The British do not blend in with the indigenous people, culture,and religions.
(d) The British have been clashing with people in Middle East for centuries.
10. In a second trip, Bell comes dangerously close to losing her life on a climb up what rocky surface?
(a) Aletschgletscher glacier.
(b) Langfjordjøkelen glacier.
(c) Salajekna glacier.
(d) Finsteraarhorn glacier.
11. In May of 1911 Bell meets Thomas Edward Lawrence whose position is what?
(a) Senior archeologist.
(b) Junior geologish.
(c) Junior archaeologist.
(d) Royal archeologist.
12. When she embarks in 1909, what knowledge does Bell take with her?
(a) Surveying, map making, and astronomy.
(b) Surveying, geography, and astronomy.
(c) Surveillance, map making, and astronomy.
(d) Surveying, map making, and astrology.
13. Chapter 14 finds Bell is working for the Red Cross in what location?
14. Much of Bell's information is provided by Richard (Dick) Doughty-Wylie who is now living where?
15. How long does the British government deny Bell passage to the East following the outbreak of the First World War?
(a) Nine months.
(b) More than a year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Twelve months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bell falls in love with which young man toward the end of Chapter 3?
2. When do Bell and her entourage reach Bombay?
3. In what season of 1871 does Mary Bell die of complications giving birth to a son whose name is Maurice?
4. Bell is ready to make a journey into where in November 1913, but encounters a number of delays?
5. Bell was born on what date?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)