|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: The Khatun, Chapters 29, 30, 31 and 32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. January 1914 ends, water and provisions are running low, and who is sent to warn Bell to turn back?
(a) Lebanese soldiers.
(b) Turkish soldiers.
(c) British soldiers.
(d) Arabian sheiks.
2. Following the departure of her mentor, Bell is soon stricken with a bout of which illness?
3. Late in 1919, Bell's superior is furious about her memo regarding what might be possible in a few years, believing Britain should not do anything to risk losing what?
(a) Valuable oil in the Mesopotamian region.
(b) Control over valuable trade routes along the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers.
(c) Political dominance over border area with Turkey.
(d) Strategic military proximity to Persia.
4. In the winter of 1909 Bell makes her first journey from Syria to what region?
5. What is Bell's response to spending the winter away from her English home?
(a) She is particularly taken by customs and culture so different from England.
(b) She finds the customs and culture to be very similar to those in England.
(c) She is especially lonely, missing England, her home, and her father.
(d) She thinks that Romania, having only achieved freedom just over a decade before, has little in the way of culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, following her rest in England, Bell stops in Cairo en route to Baghdad where she takes a meeting with which interior minister?
2. In Chapter 13, Bell stays for several weeks before heading in which direction and arriving on May 1, 1914?
3. Who were Bell's parents?
4. By 1917 Bell acquires what in the Political Office?
5. In what situation does Bell find herself in Chapter 24?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)