|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is lying next to Sinclair in the long hall?
2. What can Sinclair and Pistorius send each other?
3. What does the note say the egg is?
4. What has Pistorius left the seminary to pursue?
5. Who is one of the men who Sinclair overhears talking on the street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Demian so important to Sinclair? What would have happened to Sinclair if he had not not met Demain? How can Sinclair put Demian's teaching into his own ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Hesse's writing style. How would you describe Hesse's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Hesse's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Hesse use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)