|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the organists name?
2. Whose former home does Sinclair visit in chapter 7?
3. What does Knaurer talk about?
4. What kind of building is Sinclair drawn to in this chapter?
5. Where is the organ music being played?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Demian is written in the first person. Why do you think Hesse chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Demian so important to Sinclair? What would have happened to Sinclair if he had not not met Demain? How can Sinclair put Demian's teaching into his own ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Hesse use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)