|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Demain say Sinclair can find him?
2. What is Knaurer frustrated by at the end of his talks with Sinclair?
3. What is Sinclair doing when he has a vision?
4. What is Knaurer trying to do in the abandoned building?
5. How does Sinclair regulate the height of his flight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way could good be seen as a bad thing in this book? Why is it important for Sinclair to escape the goodness of his family and experience what his family thinks is the evil side of life? How do Sinclair's ideas about good and evil reflect his immaturity?
Essay Topic 2
In what way are Nietzsche's ideas similar to Sinclair's views on life? What does Sinclair mean by Nietzsche following his destiny relentlessly? How do Nietzsche's ideas only confirm Sinclair's ideas about life rather than challenging them?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns in Germany during the 20th century. How does Hesse express these concerns?
2) How would the novel's meaning change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)