|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sinclair feel when Demain gets Kromer off his back?
2. Who does Sinclair post his painting of the sparrow to?
3. Which of the following does Kromer demand Sinclair do to pay off his debt?
4. What does Sinclair go home for in this chapter?
5. Which of the following does Sinclair add to the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pistorius tell Sinclair in chapter 5?
2. What is Sinclair's main conflict in chapter 3?
3. How does Pistorius help Sinclair to break free of himself in chapter 6?
4. How does Sinclair feel after his first meeting with Demian in chapter 7?
5. How does Sinclair try to attract the girl he sees in the park in chapter 4?
6. What does Demain tell Sinclair in chapter 8?
7. What is Pistorius' ambition?
8. What does Sinclair's father say about Demian's interpretation of Cain and Abel?
9. How does Sinclair react when Pistorius stops being his guide?
10. What dominates Sinclair's thoughts during his travels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Why? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect their interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could good be seen as a bad thing in this book? Why is it important for Sinclair to escape the goodness of his family and experience what his family thinks is the evil side of life? How do Sinclair's ideas about good and evil reflect his immaturity?
Essay Topic 3
In what way are Nietzsche's ideas similar to Sinclair's views on life? What does Sinclair mean by Nietzsche following his destiny relentlessly? How do Nietzsche's ideas only confirm Sinclair's ideas about life rather than challenging them?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)