|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sinclair's father dismiss Demian's ideas as?
2. What does Kromer demand from Sinclair?
3. What does Sinclair despair of ever doing in this chapter?
4. Why can Sinclair not say good bye to Demian?
5. What does Demian encourage Sinclair to interpret with imagination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sinclair's hopes and ambitions at the beginning of the story?
2. How do Demian and Sinclair meet again in chapter 7?
3. How are Sinclair's new thoughts threatening his security?
4. How is Sinclair's dream about the sparrow hawk significant?
5. Describe the vision Sinclair has in chapter 8?
6. How does Sinclair initially react when Demian gives his interpretation of Cain and Abel in chapter 2?
7. How does Eva give Sinclair confidence at the beginning of chapter 8?
8. How does Eva and Sinclair's relationship become deeper in chapter 7?
9. Describe the character of Demain.
10. What dreadful event happens at the beginning of chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What was the Cainnites doctrine?
2) How were the Cainnites views by more orthodox Christians?
3) In what way can Demian be considered a Cainnite?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Why? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect their interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
What was Sinclair's relationship with his father at the beginning of the book? Why does their relationship change so dramatically? In what way is their poor relationship affecting Sinclair in a bad way? In what ways does Sinclair need his father?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)