|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sinclair think his world is divided into?
2. Which of the following words does Sinclair not add to the portrait?
3. What kind of apples does Sinclair say he steals?
4. What does Demian read in this chapter?
5. What does Sinclair think that Demian's ideas threaten?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do things change for the worse at the end of chapter 7?
2. What new perspective does Demain give Sinclair on the story of Cain and Abel?
3. How does Sinclair feel after his night out with Beck?
4. How does Kromer bully Sinclair?
5. What does Sinclair learn about the organist in this chapter?
6. Describe Sinclair night out with Beck.
7. Summarize the novel.
8. What does the sparrow hawk symbolize?
9. What does Sinclair find in a book on his desk in chapter 5?
10. How does Eva give Sinclair confidence at the beginning of chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Hesse's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Hesse use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Demian is written in the first person. Why do you think Hesse chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? Give examples.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)