|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character?
2. What does Sinclair describe Demian as?
3. Who does Sinclair confess to in this chapter?
4. Who does Sinclair meet at the beginning of the chapter?
5. What does Sinclair find it easy to do in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Demain share with Sinclair in chapter 3?
2. How does Sinclair feel when he enters boarding school?
3. How does Sinclair's world change when he meets Kromer?
4. Why do the other students start to treat Sinclair with respect?
5. How does Sinclair's life change at the end of chapter 3?
6. What are Sinclair's fears regarding Kromer and his family?
7. How does Eva and Sinclair's relationship become deeper in chapter 7?
8. What stage has Sinclair reached in his life in chapter 1?
9. What ideas does Demain impart in his first meeting with Sinclair in chapter 7?
10. How does Pistorius interpret one of Sinclair's flying dreams in chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Hesse's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Demian is written in the first person. Why do you think Hesse chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
In what way could good be seen as a bad thing in this book? Why is it important for Sinclair to escape the goodness of his family and experience what his family thinks is the evil side of life? How do Sinclair's ideas about good and evil reflect his immaturity?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)