|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sinclair say the face in his portrait is?
2. Who does Sinclair long to see?
3. What does Demian read in this chapter?
4. What book is the story of Cain and Abel from?
5. Who did Sinclair steal the apples from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the other students start to treat Sinclair with respect?
2. What does Knaurer tell Sinclair in chapter 6?
3. Describe the character of Demain.
4. How do Demian and Sinclair meet again in chapter 7?
5. How are Sinclair's new thoughts threatening his security?
6. What does Demain share with Sinclair in chapter 3?
7. Why is Demain a fascination for the other boys?
8. How does Sinclair save Knaurer in chapter 6?
9. What ideas does Demain impart in his first meeting with Sinclair in chapter 7?
10. What new perspective does Demain give Sinclair on the story of Cain and Abel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How different would Sinclair life have been if he stayed in the light realm? What do the students think will happen to Sinclair if he stays in the forbidden realm?
Essay Topic 2
Demian is written in the first person. Why do you think Hesse chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of early 20th century Germany.
1) In what way did the values of the older generation clash with the younger generation?
2) What part did religion play in early 20th century life?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)