|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beckwith describe the sergeant major in Chapter 33?
2. What reminder does the president make to Beckwith in Chapter 45?
3. What does Beckwith make clear about the men in Delta Force in Chapter 24?
4. Which aircraft carrier is it necessary to hide from the Russians?
5. Which case influences the trick exercise given in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Delta Force in Chapter 38?
2. How does the president react to the cancellation of the mission?
3. Why does Beckwith test his soldiers as he does in Chapter 28?
4. What are some of the elements to the tests given in Chapter 30?
5. What leads to the evacuation of the soldiers and the end of the mission for Delta Force?
6. How does Beckwith describe the specialized handling of helicopters in Chapter 45?
7. What is Beckwith focused on as the book ends?
8. How does Beckwith explain the relationship between evaluators and commanders?
9. What problems are the helicopter pilots having in Chapter 35, and which possible solutions are presented?
10. What are the first signs of trouble for the rescue mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Prologue in "Delta Force" introduces the main mission and crisis of the story, as well as the intent of Beckwith in designing the program.
1) Describe the general purpose of a prologue and the similarities and differences between the Prologue of "Delta Force" and the standard use of a prologue in general.
2) Explain the situation that is taking place during the Prologue and why it will be a major theme for the story.
3) Analyze Beckwith's intentions for designing Delta Force and how they are substantiated in the Prologue.
Essay Topic 2
In "Delta Force", Beckwith discusses the value of minor paranoia in the military.
1) Explain the military definitions of paranoia that Beckwith provides in the book and compare them to the standard definitions of paranoia for civilians.
2) Describe how paranoia can be a positive sign in the military.
3) Explain how much paranoia certain soldiers should have, which situations it might be more evident in, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Beckwith makes plans to update and release his blueprint for Delta Force.
1) Explain how the Joint Chiefs of Staff are comprised and their role in the military and the government.
2) Describe how Beckwith works with the Joint Chiefs of Staff and others to update his plans for Delta Force.
3) Explain the use of a "salesman" and why it is necessary for the presentation of the program in briefings.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)