|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beckwith call the enemy territory in Chapter 13?
2. What part of the American military is Delta Force considered in the beginning of Chapter 16?
3. What is the term used to describe Beckwith's idea to send his After Action Report to a senator?
4. Which applicants does the Delta Force begin to accept in Chapter 22?
5. What year is it when Beckwith first brings his report to his supervisor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the hierarchy for Delta Force that is outlined in Chapter 22?
2. What problem does Beckwith face in Chapter 20, and how is it solved?
3. What impresses Beckwith about the British SAS, and what does he find confusing about them?
4. What are some of the concerns that Beckwith has about his plan in Chapter 18, and how is the budget presented?
5. What are the results of the first two runs of the Delta Force selection process?
6. How does Beckwith describe the sacrifices made by his family, and how do they relate with other military families in general?
7. What leads Beckwith to Britain in Chapter 1, and what special program does he observe while he is there?
8. What does Beckwith observe while he is recovering from his injury?
9. How and why does Beckwith thank the Air Force at Pleiku?
10. How does Beckwith explain paranoia in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beckwith, Delta Force, and the government plan the rescue mission for the hostages in the American Embassy.
1) Describe the concerns for the rescue mission and the possible solutions presented for them.
2) Explain Beckwith's concerns with the helicopters, fueling, and the pilots.
3) Analyze the channels of communications that are being used for the rescue mission as well as the key elements that will be used to execute the plan.
Essay Topic 2
Beckwith uses several military terms throughout the book that allow the reader to be informed in military procedures.
1) Describe the difference between "use" and "misuse" in the military.
2) Describe the term that Beckwith uses to refer to enemy territory and why.
3) What is room clearing and what are its procedures?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the nine-month search and destroy mission that Beckwith is on during his second trip to Vietnam in 1968. Include the details of the events that take place on the mission, the losses and injuries Beckwith writes about, and why the experience continues to haunt him several years later as he is writing the book.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)