|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following best describes Beckwith's meeting with General Rogers in Chapter 21?
2. What leads to Beckwith's invitation by the British to travel to Malaya for a real-life expedition?
3. What does Beckwith report about the status of Delta Force at the end of Chapter 19?
4. Which group is Beckwith the operations officer for at the start of Chapter 8?
5. How long does it take Beckwith to assemble the first Delta Force?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beckwith explain paranoia in Chapter 21?
2. How does Beckwith describe the compound in Vietnam and how long does it take him to recruit the first Delta Force team?
3. What is the Joint Chiefs of Staff?
4. What is the bond being created between Beckwith and his soldiers in Chapter 12?
5. What request does Beckwith make to General Meyer in Chapter 18, and what is Meyer's response?
6. How is Beckwith promoted to full colonel in Chapter 15?
7. What does Beckwith observe while he is recovering from his injury?
8. What is the hierarchy for Delta Force that is outlined in Chapter 22?
9. What is a "salesman" and which skills do they have?
10. What is the purpose of the Prologue in "Delta Force"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Delta Force", Beckwith uses many different literary techniques to maintain the interest of the reader and inform them at the same time.
1) Describe the tone of the book, including how Beckwith delivers the information in a way that is easy to understand.
2) Explain Beckwith's view of himself, and how his personality is evident in his writing style.
3) Describe the effectiveness of the use of a literary flashback to provide a necessary understanding of Beckwith's experiences leading up to the creation of Delta Force.
4) Analyze the structure of the book (length of chapters, order of events, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Beckwith uses several military terms throughout the book that allow the reader to be informed in military procedures.
1) Describe the difference between "use" and "misuse" in the military.
2) Describe the term that Beckwith uses to refer to enemy territory and why.
3) What is room clearing and what are its procedures?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze General Meyer's involvement in Delta Force's history throughout the book. Include a description of Meyer, his background and position, and all of the ways that he helps Beckwith in developing and implementing Delta Force.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)