• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Peters, Julie Anne. Define Normal. Little, Brown, and Company, 2000.
• The book opens in a school office where peer counseling is taking place.
• The narrator of the book is the counselor, Antonia Dillon.
• Antonia is indignant because the student coming into the office is Jazz Luther.
• Antonia notices the appearance of Jazz: shredded jeans, black lips, and purple hair.
• The school counselor, Dr. DiLeo, is not present, and Jazz jokes that he probably ran to 7-Eleven to get more Tic Tacs.
• Antonia believes that Jazz "was hopeless. A punker. A druggie. A gang hanger" (2).
• Jazz responds to Antonia with a joke when Antonia asked Jazz why she was at the session: "It keeps me off the streets" (2).
• Jazz is required to do 15 hours of counseling during the term.
• Amanda notices the piercing in...
This section contains 7,980 words
(approx. 27 pages at 300 words per page)