|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter is somewhat angry with Paul because
2. All of Margot's weekend guests, including Maltravers, are
3. Margot assures Paul that their honeymoon will be
4. Margot asks Paul to help the young women she is sending to Rio, because
5. Margot's yacht is waiting for Paul to take him to
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Paul given the news of Prendergast's death?
2. How is it that Prendergast is now a chaplain at the prison where Paul is incarcerated?
3. Why do you suppose Potts is intercepting Margot's interviewees across the street as they leave her residence?
4. Paul is misunderstood as a misanthrope for wanting to stay in solitary confinement. Why does he prefer it?
5. Sir Wilfred Lucas-Dockery represents a certain type of character in Waugh's coterie of nuts. Describe him.
6. Describe the trait in Paul Pennyfeather that makes him ask Alistair Digby-Vaine-Trumpington to be his best man.
7. When Margot announces her upcoming marriage to Maltravers, what is Paul's reaction?
8. What is ironic about Captain Grimes, besides the fact that he keeps showing up in Paul's life?
9. What is the distinguishing characteristic of Paul Pennyfeather that makes him go to Marseilles on business he is not really sure about--to call on women at an address in the depths of the slums?
10. What is about Margot that is so attractive to Peter? What personal motivation of Margot's does she make very clear to the men around her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this story, Waugh has young Peter Beste-Chetwynde not only mixing alcoholic drinks for adults, but indulging heavily himself at a very young age. Write an essay about the history of drinking in England. Was there ever a minimum age for drinking? Is there now? How does the rate of alcoholism in Britain compare to the U.S.?
Essay Topic 2
An astonishing element of this story is that Waugh wants us to notice that no one, including parents and teachers, is terribly concerned over the accidental shooting of little Lord Tangent, not to mention his ensuing death. Look into the American standards for schools and write an essay on the degree to which we protect our children from careless teachers and unsafe conditions. Do we, as a country, have laws about such things? Are the laws strictly local? Are there some lawsuits you can reference about this kind of accident on school grounds? Are the laws different for private vs. public schools?
Essay Topic 3
This story would have ruffled the feathers of the British elite, as well as the clergy. When the book was released in the late 1920's, was it reviewed? Research and write about any reviews, positive or negative, that the book has received, and explain the positions of the reviewers.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)