|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul's primary goal in his new classroom is
2. What does Paul do that gets him expelled?
3. Grimes does not have "doubts," but mostly just
4. What is the general response to Chokey?
5. What was it that his recently fired teacher had, that Dr. Fagan seeks in a teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lady and Lord Circumference.
2. What words of wisdom does the Chaplain offer Paul when he is expelled?
3. Captain Grimes is terribly depressed after being married a few days to Flossie. What is it that is so upsetting to him?
4. Prendergast seems doubtful about the presence of a new school master at Llanabba. How does that come through in their initial meeting?
5. What is Dr. Fagan's biggest concern with respect to the sporting event at Llanabba?
6. Although other sports have been canceled due to floods, Dr. Fagan decides on the spur of the moment to hold a major, lavish sporting event at Llanabba because the sun has come out. For whose benefit is the event?
7. How is it that Paul loses the inheritance of his father's money?
8. What is the source of Mr. Prendergast's doubt?
9. What is obvious about Paul Pennyfeather and his nature, based on the incident on campus?
10. What do we learn about Digby-Vaine-Trumpington from the letter Potts has sent to Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Decline and Fall is a hilarious story that would lend itself well to a stage play or movie. Research to determine whether the story has ever been scripted for either. If so, include in your essay when, where and how the story was presented, the actors and producers and any reviews that might have resulted.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the history of the Ritz Hotel in London, where Paul Pennyfeather stayed as his wedding was under preparation. Include information on the founders, the accommodations, the changes the hotel has undergone if it still exists, and the services and accommodations they offer.
Essay Topic 3
Many times throughout this story "the war" is mentioned. Write a detailed essay about the effects of world war one on British society. This story was written shortly after the end of the war when the country is trying to recover from its effects. Try to focus on a particular town or township that was hit particularly hard by the war and describe its effects, before and after.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)