|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Philbrick warns Paul that Margot may be in trouble with
(a) The League of Nations committee.
(b) The London police.
(c) Scotland Yard.
(d) The Royal family.
2. Margot's yacht is waiting for Paul to take him to
(b) Egdon Heath.
(d) Scone College.
3. Otto Silenus openly
(a) Critiques Peter's physical appearance.
(b) Complains about the service.
(c) Courts Margot Beste-Chetwynde.
(d) Ignores Paul Pennyfeather.
4. Paul learns of Prendergast's fate through
(a) The Medical officer.
(b) Conversations sung during a hymn.
(c) Philbrick's message to him.
(d) The Governor's speech.
5. What can we assume about Paul's friend, Potts, at this point?
(a) He is not a friend.
(b) He wants Margot.
(c) He has kept Paul's secret.
(d) He is afraid of Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Margot done to King's Thursday that is so controversial?
2. The author wants us to deduce that Otto Silenus is
3. The women, whose "work" is questionable, were ultimately signed on as
4. Now away from Llanabba, Paul is feeling
5. Dr. Fagan is, again, ready to
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Paul fit into Silenus' description of the wheel of life?
2. What comparable trait can be said to be possessed by both Margot and Grimes?
3. On whom can we blame the death of Prendergast?
4. When Margot announces her upcoming marriage to Maltravers, what is Paul's reaction?
5. Compare the two names held by Maltravers -- Maltravers and, now, Metroland. What is Waugh trying to say?
6. Margot Beste-Chetwynde had been at King's Thursday only once before she purchased the property many years later. Discuss that visit.
7. What is ironic about Captain Grimes, besides the fact that he keeps showing up in Paul's life?
8. How does the judge see Paul's involvement in the crime for which he is convicted?
9. How is it that Prendergast is now a chaplain at the prison where Paul is incarcerated?
10. What is Peter Beste-Chetwynde doing at Scone College? How does Paul feel about him?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)