|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul is ordered by Secretary Maltravers to undergo
(a) An appendectomy.
(b) Gall stone removal.
(c) Brain surgery.
(d) A liver transplant.
2. Paul's best man is the same person who
(a) Helped him get a job at Llanabba.
(b) Worked with Paul under Dr. Fagan.
(c) Tried to marry Margot long ago.
(d) Got him expelled from Scone College.
3. Professor Silenus decides to stay on at Margot's house, since
(a) He has no ambition.
(b) He is sleeping better.
(c) He wants to wait for Margot.
(d) He has no money.
4. While Paul was gone, Margot has married
5. What has Margot done to King's Thursday that is so controversial?
(a) She has turned it into a meeting house.
(b) She has demolished it.
(c) She has rebuilt and modernized it.
(d) She has preserved it as a party house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite harsh prison conditions, Paul
2. Grimes is in prison, convicted of
3. The author refers to Paul's shadow which is
4. Paul arranges to have dinner with Arthur Potts who is
5. Margot asks Paul to help the young women she is sending to Rio, because
Short Essay Questions
1. On whom can we blame the death of Prendergast?
2. Discuss Dr. Fagan's current state of affairs at Llanabba.
3. What is ironic about Captain Grimes, besides the fact that he keeps showing up in Paul's life?
4. Grimes has supposedly met with a terrible death in the bogs. Does Paul mourn his passing?
5. Sir Wilfred Lucas-Dockery represents a certain type of character in Waugh's coterie of nuts. Describe him.
6. Margot Beste-Chetwynde had been at King's Thursday only once before she purchased the property many years later. Discuss that visit.
7. What is Peter Beste-Chetwynde doing at Scone College? How does Paul feel about him?
8. Describe the trait in Paul Pennyfeather that makes him ask Alistair Digby-Vaine-Trumpington to be his best man.
9. As they approach King's Thursday, Paul seems to be in reverie. What do his daydreams mean?
10. How is Paul given the news of Prendergast's death?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)