|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the interviews, Paul and Margot go to lunch and see
2. Young Peter, in his drunkenness, seems a bit
3. Margot assures Paul that their honeymoon will be
(a) The best three months of their lives.
(b) The best three months of Peter's life.
(c) The best three months of his life.
(d) The best three months of her life.
4. Why do the officials in France laugh at Paul's comment about the absurdity of the League of Nations?
(a) Because they feel the same.
(b) Because they know he is going to jail.
(c) Because he is incredibly naive.
(d) Because the ladies have turned him in.
5. Paul's walking partner
(a) Has been to prison many times.
(b) Is a well-educated man.
(c) Hates being in prison.
(d) Is in prison for the first time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wilfred Lucas-Dockery's ambition?
2. One of young Peter's learned skills is
3. The supper party is in celebration of
4. Guilt over Grimes' death is expressed by
5. Official papers are signed that say
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the judge see Paul's involvement in the crime for which he is convicted?
2. Why do you suppose Potts is intercepting Margot's interviewees across the street as they leave her residence?
3. What is Peter Beste-Chetwynde doing at Scone College? How does Paul feel about him?
4. The author gives us a clear glimpse of Pennyfeather's future at the end of this chapter. Discuss this seemingly awkwardly-placed revelation.
5. What is Paul's response to the mysterious diagnosis, the trip to the hospital and his freedom?
6. What is the distinguishing characteristic of Paul Pennyfeather that makes him go to Marseilles on business he is not really sure about--to call on women at an address in the depths of the slums?
7. On his way to Egdon-Heath, what does Paul learn ?
8. What is ironic about Captain Grimes, besides the fact that he keeps showing up in Paul's life?
9. Briefly, discuss how Paul escapes the prison at Egdon-Heath.
10. Compare the two names held by Maltravers -- Maltravers and, now, Metroland. What is Waugh trying to say?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)