|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Potts quits school for a new job, his father
(a) Does not approve.
(b) Encourages him heartily.
(c) Disowns him.
(d) Congratulates him.
2. Young Peter Pastmaster is now
(a) A Bollinger at Scone College.
(b) A member of society.
(c) An alcoholic professor.
(d) Studying to be a priest.
3. One of young Peter's learned skills is
(a) Entertaining guests.
(b) Analyzing people.
(c) Dealing with his mother.
(d) Mixing cocktails.
4. The supper party is in celebration of
(a) Flossie's nursing certificate.
(b) Margot's marriage.
(c) Paul Pennyfeather's death.
(d) Digby-Vaine-Trumpington's reappearance.
5. Margot has a bias that favors hiring
(a) Girls who come from poverty.
(b) Girls with children.
(c) Girls with husbands.
(d) Girls with no experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Egdon Heath, the convicts recently heard a lecture delivered by
2. Margot's yacht is waiting for Paul to take him to
3. Now away from Llanabba, Paul is feeling
4. Cliff Place, a medical facility, is run by
5. Official papers are signed that say
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you suppose Potts is intercepting Margot's interviewees across the street as they leave her residence?
2. How is it that Prendergast is now a chaplain at the prison where Paul is incarcerated?
3. Grimes has supposedly met with a terrible death in the bogs. Does Paul mourn his passing?
4. How is Paul given the news of Prendergast's death?
5. Sir Wilfred Lucas-Dockery represents a certain type of character in Waugh's coterie of nuts. Describe him.
6. Paul seems to have a temporary coming-out when he travels to London and meets with Potts. How is he different?
7. Why is it not surprising that Paul and Margot run into Philbrick at the upscale restaurant where they are having lunch?
8. Compare the two names held by Maltravers -- Maltravers and, now, Metroland. What is Waugh trying to say?
9. Briefly, discuss how Paul escapes the prison at Egdon-Heath.
10. What is the distinguishing characteristic of Paul Pennyfeather that makes him go to Marseilles on business he is not really sure about--to call on women at an address in the depths of the slums?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)