|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can we assume about Potts in this chapter?
(a) He is investigating something.
(b) He is just a friend of Paul's.
(c) He is up to no good.
(d) He is in love with Margot.
2. The supper party is in celebration of
(a) Paul Pennyfeather's death.
(b) Flossie's nursing certificate.
(c) Margot's marriage.
(d) Digby-Vaine-Trumpington's reappearance.
3. Margot's yacht is waiting for Paul to take him to
(c) Egdon Heath.
(d) Scone College.
4. Margot asks Paul to help the young women she is sending to Rio, because
(a) They need more money.
(b) They are having transportation problems.
(c) They have false identities.
(d) They are stuck in Marseilles.
5. Guilt over Grimes' death is expressed by
(b) The prison's chaplain.
(d) Paul Pennyfeather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Margot assures Paul that their honeymoon will be
2. One of young Peter's learned skills is
3. After Potts' visit to Kings Thursday, Otto Silenus
4. Paul seems to believe now in
5. When Potts quits school for a new job, his father
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the judge see Paul's involvement in the crime for which he is convicted?
2. What is about Margot that is so attractive to Peter? What personal motivation of Margot's does she make very clear to the men around her?
3. Briefly, discuss how Paul escapes the prison at Egdon-Heath.
4. As they approach King's Thursday, Paul seems to be in reverie. What do his daydreams mean?
5. Compare the two names held by Maltravers -- Maltravers and, now, Metroland. What is Waugh trying to say?
6. On whom can we blame the death of Prendergast?
7. How is it that Prendergast is now a chaplain at the prison where Paul is incarcerated?
8. The author gives us a clear glimpse of Pennyfeather's future at the end of this chapter. Discuss this seemingly awkwardly-placed revelation.
9. Paul is misunderstood as a misanthrope for wanting to stay in solitary confinement. Why does he prefer it?
10. Describe the trait in Paul Pennyfeather that makes him ask Alistair Digby-Vaine-Trumpington to be his best man.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)