|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul's walking partner
(a) Is in prison for the first time.
(b) Has been to prison many times.
(c) Hates being in prison.
(d) Is a well-educated man.
2. While Paul was gone, Margot has married
3. After the interviews, Paul and Margot go to lunch and see
4. When Paul presses Potts about his line of work, Potts
(a) Admits he is doing divorce shadowing.
(b) Admits he is a spy for the government.
(c) Lies and says he is with the League of Nations.
(d) Lies and claims he works with sea life.
5. Now away from Llanabba, Paul is feeling
(a) Confident and more like himself.
(b) Afraid and insecure.
(d) Smug and conceited.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul learns of Prendergast's fate through
2. Young Peter, in his drunkenness, seems a bit
3. The author wants us to deduce that Otto Silenus is
4. Not surpisingly, Paul runs into his old friend,
5. Peter is somewhat angry with Paul because
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paul's response to the mysterious diagnosis, the trip to the hospital and his freedom?
2. What comparable trait can be said to be possessed by both Margot and Grimes?
3. The author gives us a clear glimpse of Pennyfeather's future at the end of this chapter. Discuss this seemingly awkwardly-placed revelation.
4. Compare the two names held by Maltravers -- Maltravers and, now, Metroland. What is Waugh trying to say?
5. Where does Paul fit into Silenus' description of the wheel of life?
6. Grimes has supposedly met with a terrible death in the bogs. Does Paul mourn his passing?
7. Describe the trait in Paul Pennyfeather that makes him ask Alistair Digby-Vaine-Trumpington to be his best man.
8. Sir Wilfred Lucas-Dockery represents a certain type of character in Waugh's coterie of nuts. Describe him.
9. How is it that Prendergast is now a chaplain at the prison where Paul is incarcerated?
10. When Margot announces her upcoming marriage to Maltravers, what is Paul's reaction?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)