|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Silenus sees himself as static, and Paul as
(a) Off the grid.
2. The supper party is in celebration of
(a) Digby-Vaine-Trumpington's reappearance.
(b) Paul Pennyfeather's death.
(c) Flossie's nursing certificate.
(d) Margot's marriage.
3. When Potts arrives, on Grimes' trail, Paul
(a) Lies about Grimes' identity.
(b) Directs him toward Grimes' home.
(c) Explains that he knows Grimes.
(d) Tells him Grimes has a new job.
4. Grimes escapes prison under a cloud of
(a) Quarry dust.
(c) Heavy rain.
5. Paul's new walking companion believes the chaplain is
(a) Not a well man.
(b) Not a Christian.
(c) A Satan worshipper.
(d) A fake.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Governor is interested in
2. The wedding between Paul and Margot promises to be
3. Despite harsh prison conditions, Paul
4. Margot asks Paul to help the young women she is sending to Rio, because
5. Guilt over Grimes' death is expressed by
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Captain Grimes, besides the fact that he keeps showing up in Paul's life?
2. Grimes has supposedly met with a terrible death in the bogs. Does Paul mourn his passing?
3. What is Paul's response to the mysterious diagnosis, the trip to the hospital and his freedom?
4. Describe the trait in Paul Pennyfeather that makes him ask Alistair Digby-Vaine-Trumpington to be his best man.
5. When Margot announces her upcoming marriage to Maltravers, what is Paul's reaction?
6. Sir Wilfred Lucas-Dockery represents a certain type of character in Waugh's coterie of nuts. Describe him.
7. The author gives us a clear glimpse of Pennyfeather's future at the end of this chapter. Discuss this seemingly awkwardly-placed revelation.
8. Discuss Professor Silenus' role in the renovation of King's Thursday. What does he set out to accomplish?
9. How is Paul given the news of Prendergast's death?
10. How is it that Prendergast is now a chaplain at the prison where Paul is incarcerated?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)