|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All of Margot's weekend guests, including Maltravers, are
(b) Suffering from poverty.
2. Silenus's architectural style is biased toward
(b) Gingerbread decor.
(c) Industrial simplicity.
(d) Tudor mansions.
3. Now away from Llanabba, Paul is feeling
(a) Confident and more like himself.
(b) Afraid and insecure.
(d) Smug and conceited.
4. Dr. Fagan's letter sounds as though
(a) Llanabba is closing down.
(b) Llanabba has improved.
(c) Llanabba is thriving.
(d) Llanabba no longer exists.
5. Margot asks Paul to help the young women she is sending to Rio, because
(a) They have false identities.
(b) They are having transportation problems.
(c) They need more money.
(d) They are stuck in Marseilles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rather than hold her accountable, Paul realizes that Margot
2. The prison chaplain turns out to be
3. Again, Paul is living the good life now, as
4. Not surpisingly, Paul runs into his old friend,
5. Silenus sees himself as static, and Paul as
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly, discuss how Paul escapes the prison at Egdon-Heath.
2. What is Peter Beste-Chetwynde doing at Scone College? How does Paul feel about him?
3. Describe the trait in Paul Pennyfeather that makes him ask Alistair Digby-Vaine-Trumpington to be his best man.
4. Discuss Professor Silenus' role in the renovation of King's Thursday. What does he set out to accomplish?
5. When Margot announces her upcoming marriage to Maltravers, what is Paul's reaction?
6. Sir Wilfred Lucas-Dockery represents a certain type of character in Waugh's coterie of nuts. Describe him.
7. How does the judge see Paul's involvement in the crime for which he is convicted?
8. What is Paul's response to the mysterious diagnosis, the trip to the hospital and his freedom?
9. Compare the two names held by Maltravers -- Maltravers and, now, Metroland. What is Waugh trying to say?
10. Why is it not surprising that Paul and Margot run into Philbrick at the upscale restaurant where they are having lunch?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)