|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wilfred Lucas-Dockery forces Paul to
(a) Socialize more with the wardens.
(b) Start an arts and crafts project.
(c) Gradually begin to socialize with other prisoners.
(d) Go into serious therapy.
2. Rather than hold her accountable, Paul realizes that Margot
(a) Was a good mother and philanthropist.
(b) Was set up by Peter to look like a criminal.
(c) Could not possibly be imprisoned for her crimes.
(d) Was innocent and knew nothing of the crime.
3. Paul is convicted and sentenced for
(b) White slave trafficking.
4. Silenus's architectural style is biased toward
(b) Tudor mansions.
(c) Industrial simplicity.
(d) Gingerbread decor.
5. The new companion, the "big man," thinks an angel told him
(a) To kill all Catholics.
(b) To kill everyone.
(c) To kill his own family.
(d) To decapitate the elect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Professor Silenus values machines over
2. Paul is impressed by Margot's talents as a
3. The author refers to Paul's shadow which is
4. We can assume that the Hon. Miles Malpractice is
5. Silenus thinks that Margot Beste-Chetwynde is
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Dr. Fagan's current state of affairs at Llanabba.
2. Why is it not surprising that Paul and Margot run into Philbrick at the upscale restaurant where they are having lunch?
3. What does Waugh's final passage about Paul's reading say about Paul?
4. What is Paul's response to the mysterious diagnosis, the trip to the hospital and his freedom?
5. How is Paul given the news of Prendergast's death?
6. Paul is misunderstood as a misanthrope for wanting to stay in solitary confinement. Why does he prefer it?
7. The author gives us a clear glimpse of Pennyfeather's future at the end of this chapter. Discuss this seemingly awkwardly-placed revelation.
8. Discuss Professor Silenus' role in the renovation of King's Thursday. What does he set out to accomplish?
9. Sir Wilfred Lucas-Dockery represents a certain type of character in Waugh's coterie of nuts. Describe him.
10. What comparable trait can be said to be possessed by both Margot and Grimes?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)