|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Official papers are signed that say
(a) Paul died under anesthesia.
(b) The surgeon was too drunk to operate.
(c) Dingy is actually a nurse.
(d) A girl died under anesthesia.
2. Margot Metroland, married to the former Maltravers,
(a) Carries on an affair with Digby-Vaine-Trumpington.
(b) Will divorce and marry again soon.
(c) Is now destitute and despondent.
(d) Has disconnected herself from her son.
3. Again, Paul is living the good life now, as
(a) A tourist.
(b) Margot's husband.
(c) A dead man.
(d) A fugitive.
4. The professor attracted Mrs. Beste-Chetwynde's attention with a rejected design
(a) For a village in Hungary.
(b) For a Tudor mansion.
(c) For an aluminum factory.
(d) For a chewing gum factory.
5. Paul seems to believe now in
(a) Being adventurous.
(c) Being static.
(d) Taking chances.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Governor is interested in
2. Paul's train ride to Kings Thursday foreshadows
3. What might indicate that young Peter knows about his mother's business?
4. Margot asks Paul to help the young women she is sending to Rio, because
5. Peter is somewhat angry with Paul because
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter Beste-Chetwynde doing at Scone College? How does Paul feel about him?
2. Briefly, discuss how Paul escapes the prison at Egdon-Heath.
3. When Margot announces her upcoming marriage to Maltravers, what is Paul's reaction?
4. On his way to Egdon-Heath, what does Paul learn ?
5. Paul is misunderstood as a misanthrope for wanting to stay in solitary confinement. Why does he prefer it?
6. Grimes has supposedly met with a terrible death in the bogs. Does Paul mourn his passing?
7. As they approach King's Thursday, Paul seems to be in reverie. What do his daydreams mean?
8. Discuss Professor Silenus' role in the renovation of King's Thursday. What does he set out to accomplish?
9. How does the judge see Paul's involvement in the crime for which he is convicted?
10. Where does Paul fit into Silenus' description of the wheel of life?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)