|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Margot has a bias that favors hiring
(a) Girls with husbands.
(b) Girls with children.
(c) Girls with no experience.
(d) Girls who come from poverty.
2. What can we assume about Paul's friend, Potts, at this point?
(a) He is afraid of Paul.
(b) He wants Margot.
(c) He has kept Paul's secret.
(d) He is not a friend.
3. Cliff Place, a medical facility, is run by
(c) Augustus Fagan.
4. The death of Prendergast, perhaps, was
(a) The Governor's plan.
(b) Set up by the Chief Warder.
(d) Part of the reforms.
5. Professor Silenus decides to stay on at Margot's house, since
(a) He has no ambition.
(b) He wants to wait for Margot.
(c) He is sleeping better.
(d) He has no money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Using bread for their ante, prisoners bet on
2. Paul feels that Grimes is actually
3. Silenus's architectural style is biased toward
4. When Potts quits school for a new job, his father
5. Despite harsh prison conditions, Paul
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Captain Grimes, besides the fact that he keeps showing up in Paul's life?
2. Sir Wilfred Lucas-Dockery represents a certain type of character in Waugh's coterie of nuts. Describe him.
3. Discuss Professor Silenus' role in the renovation of King's Thursday. What does he set out to accomplish?
4. Describe the trait in Paul Pennyfeather that makes him ask Alistair Digby-Vaine-Trumpington to be his best man.
5. As they approach King's Thursday, Paul seems to be in reverie. What do his daydreams mean?
6. How does the judge see Paul's involvement in the crime for which he is convicted?
7. The author gives us a clear glimpse of Pennyfeather's future at the end of this chapter. Discuss this seemingly awkwardly-placed revelation.
8. How is Paul given the news of Prendergast's death?
9. Grimes has supposedly met with a terrible death in the bogs. Does Paul mourn his passing?
10. On his way to Egdon-Heath, what does Paul learn ?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)