|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can we assume about Potts in this chapter?
(a) He is just a friend of Paul's.
(b) He is investigating something.
(c) He is up to no good.
(d) He is in love with Margot.
2. The author wants us to deduce that Otto Silenus is
(a) A traditional architect.
(b) A talented artist.
(c) Warm and friendly.
(d) Cold and inhuman.
3. One of young Peter's learned skills is
(a) Analyzing people.
(b) Entertaining guests.
(c) Dealing with his mother.
(d) Mixing cocktails.
4. When Potts quits school for a new job, his father
(a) Does not approve.
(b) Congratulates him.
(c) Encourages him heartily.
(d) Disowns him.
5. While Paul was gone, Margot has married
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul seems to believe now in
2. In his more evolved frame of mind, Paul imagines that
3. After the interviews, Paul and Margot go to lunch and see
4. The unsuspecting Paul Pennyfeather is arrested while
5. Paul learns that Peter Best-Chetwynde has
Short Essay Questions
1. Paul seems to have a temporary coming-out when he travels to London and meets with Potts. How is he different?
2. Briefly, discuss how Paul escapes the prison at Egdon-Heath.
3. How is it that Prendergast is now a chaplain at the prison where Paul is incarcerated?
4. What is Peter Beste-Chetwynde doing at Scone College? How does Paul feel about him?
5. Discuss Professor Silenus' role in the renovation of King's Thursday. What does he set out to accomplish?
6. On whom can we blame the death of Prendergast?
7. On his way to Egdon-Heath, what does Paul learn ?
8. Grimes has supposedly met with a terrible death in the bogs. Does Paul mourn his passing?
9. When Margot announces her upcoming marriage to Maltravers, what is Paul's reaction?
10. What is the distinguishing characteristic of Paul Pennyfeather that makes him go to Marseilles on business he is not really sure about--to call on women at an address in the depths of the slums?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)