|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is familiar about Prendergast in his new role as prison chaplain?
(a) His walk.
(b) His wig.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His cane.
2. Paul feels that Grimes is actually
(b) A hero.
(c) In another prison.
(d) Dead this time.
3. The supper party is in celebration of
(a) Paul Pennyfeather's death.
(b) Margot's marriage.
(c) Flossie's nursing certificate.
(d) Digby-Vaine-Trumpington's reappearance.
4. The author warns us that Paul Pennyfeather
(a) Will be the only character left standing.
(b) Will not be a hero in this story.
(c) Will not live up to Potts' expectations.
(d) Has a bright future in politics.
5. When Potts arrives, on Grimes' trail, Paul
(a) Lies about Grimes' identity.
(b) Directs him toward Grimes' home.
(c) Tells him Grimes has a new job.
(d) Explains that he knows Grimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. The wedding between Paul and Margot promises to be
2. Margot assures Paul that their honeymoon will be
3. Grimes is assumed to be dead because
4. Paul's walking partner
5. Young Peter, in his drunkenness, seems a bit
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you suppose Potts is intercepting Margot's interviewees across the street as they leave her residence?
2. Grimes has supposedly met with a terrible death in the bogs. Does Paul mourn his passing?
3. Sir Wilfred Lucas-Dockery represents a certain type of character in Waugh's coterie of nuts. Describe him.
4. When Margot announces her upcoming marriage to Maltravers, what is Paul's reaction?
5. Paul is misunderstood as a misanthrope for wanting to stay in solitary confinement. Why does he prefer it?
6. As they approach King's Thursday, Paul seems to be in reverie. What do his daydreams mean?
7. What is the distinguishing characteristic of Paul Pennyfeather that makes him go to Marseilles on business he is not really sure about--to call on women at an address in the depths of the slums?
8. Paul seems to have a temporary coming-out when he travels to London and meets with Potts. How is he different?
9. Describe the trait in Paul Pennyfeather that makes him ask Alistair Digby-Vaine-Trumpington to be his best man.
10. Discuss Dr. Fagan's current state of affairs at Llanabba.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)