|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Wilfred Lucas-Dockery's ambition?
(a) To be renowned for his work in prison reform.
(b) To be a famous investor of artifical sunlight.
(c) To be a Prison Commissioner.
(d) To be a Governor of his township.
2. Professor Silenus values machines over
3. All of Margot's weekend guests, including Maltravers, are
(a) Suffering from poverty.
4. When Inspector Bruce appears, Paul thinks he is there to discuss
(a) Security at Kings Thursday.
(b) Posting guards at the wedding ceremony.
(c) Guarding the wedding presents.
5. The wedding between Paul and Margot promises to be
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul feels that Grimes is actually
2. Again, Paul is living the good life now, as
3. Silenus's architectural style is biased toward
4. The women, whose "work" is questionable, were ultimately signed on as
5. When Potts quits school for a new job, his father
Short Essay Questions
1. When Margot announces her upcoming marriage to Maltravers, what is Paul's reaction?
2. What is the distinguishing characteristic of Paul Pennyfeather that makes him go to Marseilles on business he is not really sure about--to call on women at an address in the depths of the slums?
3. Discuss Professor Silenus' role in the renovation of King's Thursday. What does he set out to accomplish?
4. Margot Beste-Chetwynde had been at King's Thursday only once before she purchased the property many years later. Discuss that visit.
5. Sir Wilfred Lucas-Dockery represents a certain type of character in Waugh's coterie of nuts. Describe him.
6. What is about Margot that is so attractive to Peter? What personal motivation of Margot's does she make very clear to the men around her?
7. Grimes has supposedly met with a terrible death in the bogs. Does Paul mourn his passing?
8. Why do you suppose Potts is intercepting Margot's interviewees across the street as they leave her residence?
9. Where does Paul fit into Silenus' description of the wheel of life?
10. Compare the two names held by Maltravers -- Maltravers and, now, Metroland. What is Waugh trying to say?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)