|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Potts' visit to Kings Thursday, Otto Silenus
(a) Packs his bags and calls for a car.
(b) Gives away his things to the gardener.
(c) Moves in, with his instruments and luggage.
(d) Disappears, never to return.
2. Dockery's assessment of Paul is that
(a) He is emotionally stunted.
(b) He is a misanthrope who feels inferior.
(c) He is a slow-witted recluse.
(d) He is intellectually superior to most.
3. Grimes is assumed to be dead because
(a) His hat was found floating in the bog.
(b) The dogs followed his trace into the water.
(c) His body was never found.
(d) His body was found.
4. What is familiar about Prendergast in his new role as prison chaplain?
(a) His cane.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His wig.
(d) His walk.
5. Wilfred Lucas-Dockery forces Paul to
(a) Start an arts and crafts project.
(b) Gradually begin to socialize with other prisoners.
(c) Go into serious therapy.
(d) Socialize more with the wardens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Margot's yacht is waiting for Paul to take him to
2. The supper party is in celebration of
3. What has Margot done to King's Thursday that is so controversial?
4. The death of Prendergast, perhaps, was
5. The author wants us to deduce that Otto Silenus is
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Dr. Fagan's current state of affairs at Llanabba.
2. On his way to Egdon-Heath, what does Paul learn ?
3. As they approach King's Thursday, Paul seems to be in reverie. What do his daydreams mean?
4. What is ironic about Captain Grimes, besides the fact that he keeps showing up in Paul's life?
5. Why do you suppose Potts is intercepting Margot's interviewees across the street as they leave her residence?
6. How does the judge see Paul's involvement in the crime for which he is convicted?
7. Where does Paul fit into Silenus' description of the wheel of life?
8. When Margot announces her upcoming marriage to Maltravers, what is Paul's reaction?
9. The author gives us a clear glimpse of Pennyfeather's future at the end of this chapter. Discuss this seemingly awkwardly-placed revelation.
10. How is Paul given the news of Prendergast's death?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)