|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question constitutes Prendergast's doubts?
(a) Why did it all begin?
(b) What is my purpose here?
(c) Who are the Bundles?
(d) Why was I born to this mother?
2. Dr. Fagan feels some of his students come from
(a) The very best families.
(b) The orphanages.
(c) The other side of the tracks.
3. The result of leaving Prendergast with the boys is that
(a) He fell to sleep in front of them.
(b) He left them and joined the others.
(c) He went to bed.
(d) He caned twenty three of them.
4. What does Paul do that gets him expelled?
(a) Sarcastically replies to the charges.
(b) Did not return a book to the Chaplain.
(c) Was not sufficiently humbled by his encounter.
(d) Runs pantless for the length of the quadrangle.
5. Mr. Prendergast is flustered with Paul's arrival because he
(a) Is a former clergyman.
(b) Will need to share bath time with Grimes.
(c) Is taking a pay cut.
(d) Will have to give up his regular bath time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Fagan surprisingly detests
2. Beste-Chetwynde tells Paul that
3. What is so surprising about the wealthy Mrs. Beste-Chetwynde?
4. Philbrick tells Prendergast that he is
5. As a result of being his father's only heir, Philbrick claimed he is tormented by
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Prendergast's wig related to the "intractable" behavior of his students?
2. Can you put together the pieces of Philbrick's story about his sister Gracie, and imagine what the true story might have been? Of course, we do not know, but Waugh hints through his story telling that Philbrick's life might not be great as he says.
3. Why are Sniggs and Postlehwaite especially guilty of the unjust treatment of Paul Pennyfeather?
4. What is Dr. Fagan's biggest concern with respect to the sporting event at Llanabba?
5. What is obvious about Paul Pennyfeather and his nature, based on the incident on campus?
6. Paul and young Beste-Chetwynde seem to become immediate friends. Describe what we know of Beste-Chetwynde from this chapter.
7. Discuss how Paul Pennyfeather is able to gain control over his class full of wild and mischievous boys.
8. Describe Lady and Lord Circumference.
9. What is the source of Mr. Prendergast's doubt?
10. What is ironic about the structure of Llanabba Castle?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)