|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Paul reluctant about Digby-Vaine-Trumpington's offer?
(a) It is not enough to make up for the damage.
(b) He wants to hear it face to face.
(c) He wants no further dealings with Digby-Vaine-Trumpington.
(d) He wants to preserve his honor.
2. Mr. Pendergast dresses up for the occasion in
(a) A stained and worn top hat.
(b) A new cravat of purple silk.
(c) A stiff evening collar.
(d) A faded blazer that smells of camphor.
3. What happened to Lord Tangent at the sporting event?
(a) He fought with Chokey.
(b) He was shot in the foot.
(c) He learned to play a flute.
(d) He was taken away by the musicians.
4. At Llanabba, Philbrick is supposedly engaged to
(a) Flossie Fagan.
(b) Dingy Fagan.
(d) Prendergast's sister.
5. On Paul's first day with his little "mob," he is
(a) Dumb with terror.
(b) Disgusted by them.
(d) Angry with himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Beste-Chetwynde would like
2. Mr. Philbrick tells Paul that his father was
3. Paul protects Beste-Chetwynde from trouble by
4. Mr. Prendergast seems obsessed with
5. Beste-Chetwynde tells Paul that
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it that Paul loses the inheritance of his father's money?
2. Discuss Mr. Levy, the scholastic agent. Is he a man of character?
3. What words of wisdom does the Chaplain offer Paul when he is expelled?
4. How does Paul learn of the invitation to tutor young Beste-Chetwynde over the holidays? Is it unusual? If so, how?
5. The mysterious Philbrick speaks wistfully of his father, Chick. Discuss Chick.
6. What is the source of Mr. Prendergast's doubt?
7. Prendergast seems doubtful about the presence of a new school master at Llanabba. How does that come through in their initial meeting?
8. Although other sports have been canceled due to floods, Dr. Fagan decides on the spur of the moment to hold a major, lavish sporting event at Llanabba because the sun has come out. For whose benefit is the event?
9. How does Grimes portray the school system?
10. How is Prendergast's wig related to the "intractable" behavior of his students?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)