|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Fagan claims that what he needs in a professor is
(a) Ability to teach.
(d) A well-rounded background.
2. What does the five percent of ninety pounds represent?
(a) We do not know.
(b) What Fagan will pay to Paul when he starts working.
(c) What Paul will pay to Fagan for the job.
(d) The deduction from Paul's paycheck.
3. Prendergast tends to
(a) Feel sorry for everyone else.
(b) Blame Grimes for his unhappiness.
(c) Tell long, meaningless stories of his past.
(d) Be a good, but strange friend.
4. Llanabba has a reputation for being
(a) Academically remarkable.
(b) Academically sound.
(c) A great institution.
(d) Mediocre, at most.
5. Grimes reveals he has a pattern of
(a) Landing in the soup.
(b) Being arrested.
(c) Leaving without notice.
(d) Getting girls in trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it that his recently fired teacher had, that Dr. Fagan seeks in a teacher?
2. Why does Grimes reject the job offered by the Clutterbucks?
3. Paul's primary goal in his new classroom is
4. Regarding his upcoming marriage, Grimes is clearly in a state of
5. What was Paul Pennyfeather studying to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Captain Grimes' deep despondency has caused him to make some unusual decisions. Discuss them.
2. Paul and young Beste-Chetwynde seem to become immediate friends. Describe what we know of Beste-Chetwynde from this chapter.
3. Captain Grimes is in sheer agony over his upcoming marriage to Flossie. How does he pull himself out of his sad mood?
4. Discuss how Paul Pennyfeather is able to gain control over his class full of wild and mischievous boys.
5. Discuss Mr. Levy, the scholastic agent. Is he a man of character?
6. What do we learn about Digby-Vaine-Trumpington from the letter Potts has sent to Paul?
7. What is the source of Mr. Prendergast's doubt?
8. Describe Lady and Lord Circumference.
9. What is Dr. Fagan's primary concern about Llanabba?
10. What is it about Mrs. Beste-Chetwynde that has put Paul in such a state of mind over her?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)