|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wilfred Lucas-Dockery forces Paul to
(a) Go into serious therapy.
(b) Start an arts and crafts project.
(c) Gradually begin to socialize with other prisoners.
(d) Socialize more with the wardens.
2. The Governor is interested in
(a) Getting to the underlying cause of the big man's problems.
(b) Making the man an example for others.
(c) Getting prison property repaired.
(d) Understanding what motivates the chaplain.
3. What has Margot done to King's Thursday that is so controversial?
(a) She has rebuilt and modernized it.
(b) She has demolished it.
(c) She has turned it into a meeting house.
(d) She has preserved it as a party house.
4. Otto Silenus openly
(a) Courts Margot Beste-Chetwynde.
(b) Ignores Paul Pennyfeather.
(c) Complains about the service.
(d) Critiques Peter's physical appearance.
5. The author refers to Paul's shadow which is
(a) His alter-ego.
(b) His inner child.
(c) His depression.
(d) His true self.
6. As punishment, Paul's companion is assigned to
(a) Sharpening knives.
(b) Distributing food.
(c) Arts and crafts.
(d) Doing carpentry work.
7. Silenus thinks that Margot Beste-Chetwynde is
(a) A woman of high character and taste.
(b) A marvel to behold.
(c) Not to be trusted.
(d) Not much different from other similar women.
8. Using bread for their ante, prisoners bet on
(a) Grimes' death.
(b) Grimes' new alias.
(c) Grimes' turning himself in.
(d) Grimes' capture.
9. Margot's yacht is waiting for Paul to take him to
(c) Scone College.
(d) Egdon Heath.
10. Paul is convicted and sentenced for
(c) White slave trafficking.
11. Paul's walking partner
(a) Has been to prison many times.
(b) Hates being in prison.
(c) Is a well-educated man.
(d) Is in prison for the first time.
12. The wedding between Paul and Margot promises to be
13. Paul arranges to have dinner with Arthur Potts who is
(a) A friend of Captain Grimes.
(b) A colleague at Llanabba.
(c) A friend of Mrs. Beste-Chetwynde.
(d) His old friend from Scone College.
14. Unexpectedly, Grimes shows up in disguise, having
(a) Escaped from prison.
(b) Been wanted by Scotland Yard.
(c) Faked his own death.
(d) Been a fugitive for months.
15. Cliff Place, a medical facility, is run by
(d) Augustus Fagan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dockery's assessment of Paul is that
2. What might indicate that young Peter knows about his mother's business?
3. Rather than hold her accountable, Paul realizes that Margot
4. Why do the officials in France laugh at Paul's comment about the absurdity of the League of Nations?
5. Young Peter, in his drunkenness, seems a bit
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)