|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of the charge against Paul at Scone, Dr. Fagan
(a) Lowers the salary he initially offered.
(b) Rejects his application.
(c) Limits him to less intelligent students.
(d) Asks him to teach more classes.
2. How did the boys get cigars to smoke in the boiler room?
(a) Predergast gave them to Beste-Chetwynde.
(b) Grimes gave them to Pennyfeather.
(c) Grimes gave them to Clutterbuck.
(d) Prendergast gave them to Clutterbuck.
3. Why is Paul reluctant about Digby-Vaine-Trumpington's offer?
(a) He wants to hear it face to face.
(b) He wants no further dealings with Digby-Vaine-Trumpington.
(c) It is not enough to make up for the damage.
(d) He wants to preserve his honor.
4. For a photo backdrop, Dr. Fagan is counting on
(a) Gathering the throng of students.
(b) The front of the castle.
(c) Using the wealthy families' cars.
(d) Flowers and gazebos.
5. Beste-Chetwynde tells Paul that
(a) Philbrick is a butler and a criminal.
(b) Philbrick is a Russian spy.
(c) He does not believe Grimes is a real teacher.
(d) He believes Philbricke is a Russian prince.
6. Dr. Fagan wants to be sure that boys from wealthy families
(a) Invite their grandparents.
(b) Have the day off.
(c) Invite the family servants.
(d) Win at least two events.
7. What is the rumor about Mrs. Beste-Chetwynde
(a) She is rich and famous.
(b) She is a South American.
(c) She is sister-in-law to Pastmaster.
(d) She poisoned her last husband.
8. What was the topic of the argument among Prendergast, Philbrick and Cholmondley?
(b) Roman Catholicsm.
(c) Music, particularly jazz.
(d) The rood screen.
9. What is the general response to Chokey?
(a) His race makes most of the guests uncomfortable.
(b) He frightens most of the guests.
(c) He is accepted heartily.
(d) His presence indicates a flaw in the system.
10. Paul Pennyfeather's parents are
(a) Prosperous solicitors.
(b) Part of the Scone faculty.
(d) Very supportive.
11. The candidate who interviews before Paul is
(a) In high demand.
(c) Slightly sarcastic.
(d) Hearing impaired.
12. What was it about Paul that led to the attack on him?
(a) His objection to drunkenness.
(b) His tie that was similar to the Bollingers'.
(c) His sobriety, which was offensive.
(d) His academic excellence.
13. What is so surprising about the wealthy Mrs. Beste-Chetwynde?
(a) She has come alone.
(b) She has missed the entire event.
(c) She has a huge and beautiful car.
(d) Her companion is a "negro".
14. Paul and Grimes leave Prendergast to the boys, even though he is
15. Mr. Prendergast seems obsessed with
(a) His mother.
(b) Dr. Fagan.
(c) His pipes.
(d) The welfare of the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grimes think Prendergast cannot keep order?
2. The charge against Paul Pennyfeather is
3. Mr. Pendergast dresses up for the occasion in
4. Fagan knows that when a person wants to teach, he probably
5. Foie gras sandwiches are not to be served to
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)