|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paulina pretend when Gerardo comes back in the room?
2. What is the occupation of the person in the answer to question #78?
3. Who was Paulina's friend at the University?
4. What does Roberto say?
5. What is the lighting of the stage in this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gerardo and Paulina do when Schubert's Death and the Maiden begins?
2. What does Roberto tell Gerardo about his stopping at their house?
3. Why does Paulina talk about coffee to Roberto?
4. What does Paulina say when Gerardo talks about going to the police?
5. What does Paulina hear while she is hiding?
6. What does Paulina pretend when Gerardo comes to bed and how does Gerardo respond?
7. Why was the doctor involved with torture?
8. Where does the last Scene open?
9. What does Paulina say to Roberto about breakfast?
10. What does Roberto say about Paulina's accusations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerardo looks at Paulina, who does not return the look, takes her hand and looks forward.
1. What do you think this behavior of Gerardo means?
2. What might be symbolically significant that Gerardo is looking forward and Paulina is looking at Roberto?
3. Does this part of the last scene seem to imply to you that Paulina still has not healed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina is frightened, even in her own home. She has survived severe torture and prison. This has affected her greatly.
1. Do you think her survival is due more to her mental toughness or physical toughness? Why?
2. What qualities do you think would be necessary for someone to survive what Paulina has been through?
3. Paulina is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. What do you think that means?
Essay Topic 3
Roberto asserts that Gerardo's wife needs psychiatric treatment. Gerardo assures him that he is her treatment.
1. Based on what you've seen thus far of Paulina's actions, do you think she needs psychiatric treatment? Why or why not?
2. Do you think needs psychiatric treatment would be beneficial to anyone who has undergone torture? Why or why not?
3. Do you think a husband should be trying to act as his wife's psychiatrist? Why or why not?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)