|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paulina's general demeanor during this scene?
2. What does Gerardo offer Roberto?
3. What is the lighting of the stage in this scene?
4. Gerardo wife replies to Gerardo's accusation by saying what?
5. Who is the first character on the stage in this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gerardo plead with Roberto to confess?
2. What does Paulina get when she goes back in the spare bedroom?
3. What is Gerardo going to tell Paulina about what he thinks Roberto is going to do?
4. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
5. What does Paulina tell Gerardo about Roberto and what does he say?
6. Why does Paulina talk about coffee to Roberto?
7. What does the audience hear from the room where Paulina went?
8. What does Gerardo and Paulina talk about when they go outside?
9. What does Gerardo tell Paulina was missing from his car and what does she say?
10. What do Gerardo and Paulina do when the music ends?
Essay Topic 1
We are left wondering whether she would actually shoot him at the end of Act 2, Scene 1. Or would Gerardo forget something in the house and return to stop her? We are then forced to literally look at ourselves and those around us. What would each of us do in the same situation? Would we shoot, or let him live the rest of his days with his terrible secret?
1. Do you think you would do what Paulina is doing in her circumstances? Why or why not?
2. Do you think living with what he has done is worse punishment than killing him? Why or why not?
3. If you were a police officer called to the scene of Paulina killing Roberto, after listening to the confession, what would you do? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The tension immediately picks up when Paulina hears a car, looks out the window and grabs for a gun.
1. What does Paulina's actions in the beginning of the play tell the audience? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What would you do in your home if you felt afraid?
3. Some say that fear produces aggression, such as Paulina with the gun. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Paulina works herself into an excited fervor over the prospect of these individuals being punished or executed.
1. What do you think is the difference between revenge and justice? Use examples from the play and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Paulina's excitement is due to wanting revenge or wanting justice? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,341 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)