|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gerardo respond to the offer of the appointment?
2. What does Gerardo confess to Paulina with some coaxing?
3. What could the fact that Paulina uses her panties to gag Roberto instead of something else symbolize?
4. What does Gerardo say his wife fails to do?
5. When will Paulina remove Roberto's gag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gerardo say Paulina remembers about her torture and how does Roberto respond?
2. When and under what circumstances did Paulina meet Dr. Miranda?
3. What does Gerardo and Paulina talk about when they go outside?
4. What does Gerardo tell Paulina and who is at the door?
5. What does Paulina do when she comes inside the first time from talking to Gerardo on the terrace?
6. Why does Paulina tell Roberto she is going to kill him even though he has confessed?
7. What does Gerardo tell Paulina was missing from his car and what does she say?
8. What is Gerardo going to tell Paulina about what he thinks Roberto is going to do?
9. What do Gerardo and Paulina do when the music ends?
10. What does the audience see after Paulina leaves the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roberto asserts that Gerardo's wife needs psychiatric treatment. Gerardo assures him that he is her treatment.
1. Based on what you've seen thus far of Paulina's actions, do you think she needs psychiatric treatment? Why or why not?
2. Do you think needs psychiatric treatment would be beneficial to anyone who has undergone torture? Why or why not?
3. Do you think a husband should be trying to act as his wife's psychiatrist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that this scene is set just before dawn could be symbolic of the dawn of realization that Roberto is not exempt from retaliation for his past deeds.
1. Why do you think the dawn could symbolize justice for Roberto?
2. At this point in the play Paulina is convinced Roberto is guilty, though Gerardo is not. As a reader do you believe Paulina's assertion? Why or why not?
3. If dawn might symbolize justice, could it also symbolize bringing the past to light? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Paulina pretends that Gerardo has awakened her when he tells her that Roberto is staying the night, comforts her fear and asks her to make them breakfast in the morning.
1. Why do you think Paulina has pretended to be asleep?
2. Why do you think Paulina is afraid of strangers and do you think there is any way for her to overcome her fear?
This section contains 2,507 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)