|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the stage lighting the way it was?
2. What was Paulina studying in college?
3. Who does Roberto mention as being gone at the moment?
4. What does Paulina tie to the chair?
5. What does Paulina pretend when Gerardo comes back in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Paulina and Gerardo have had dinner the night he caught a ride home?
2. What does Roberto ask about concerning the car?
3. Why does Paulina tell Roberto she is going to kill him even though he has confessed?
4. What does Roberto see when he awakes?
5. How does the play, DEATH AND THE MAIDEN, open?
6. What does Paulina do when she comes inside the first time from talking to Gerardo on the terrace?
7. Why does Paulina talk about coffee to Roberto?
8. Why does Gerardo plead with Roberto to confess?
9. What does Paulina do when she hears a car?
10. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tension immediately picks up when Paulina hears a car, looks out the window and grabs for a gun.
1. What does Paulina's actions in the beginning of the play tell the audience? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What would you do in your home if you felt afraid?
3. Some say that fear produces aggression, such as Paulina with the gun. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina works herself into an excited fervor over the prospect of these individuals being punished or executed.
1. What do you think is the difference between revenge and justice? Use examples from the play and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Paulina's excitement is due to wanting revenge or wanting justice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
As Paulina pays for some candy at the concert, Roberto enters. According to the stage direction, he may be real, or just in Paulina's head.
1. Do you think Roberto is there or that Paulina killed him? Why or why not?
2. If Paulina killed him, why do you think she would see him at a concert that played Schubert's Death and the Maiden?
3. Do you think it is more likely that Roberto is at the concert or that Paulina is insane? Explain your answer.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)