|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Gerardo lie to Paulina about the commission position?
2. Where is the person in question #1 sitting?
3. What does Roberto say he enjoys when his wife and children are away?
4. What does Gerardo ask of Paulina after she tells him that Roberto is the man who tortured her?
5. As Paulina drives away, what does the audience see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roberto tell Gerardo about his stopping at their house?
2. How and when was Paulina arrested and what was she too afraid to do?
3. With whom is Gerardo speaking and about what?
4. What do Gerardo and Paulina do when Schubert's Death and the Maiden begins?
5. Why do you think Act 1, Scene 3 has no dialogue?
6. What does Gerardo say when Paulina asks who was in the car?
7. When and under what circumstances did Paulina meet Dr. Miranda?
8. Why was the doctor involved with torture?
9. What does Paulina say when Gerardo asks if she wants him to leave her?
10. What does Roberto say about Paulina's accusations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We are left wondering whether she would actually shoot him at the end of Act 2, Scene 1. Or would Gerardo forget something in the house and return to stop her? We are then forced to literally look at ourselves and those around us. What would each of us do in the same situation? Would we shoot, or let him live the rest of his days with his terrible secret?
1. Do you think you would do what Paulina is doing in her circumstances? Why or why not?
2. Do you think living with what he has done is worse punishment than killing him? Why or why not?
3. If you were a police officer called to the scene of Paulina killing Roberto, after listening to the confession, what would you do? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina finally speaks, and her first monologue presents the full force of her hatred for the man calling himself Roberto Miranda.
1. Do you believe if someone carries hatred inside it is harmful to that person? Why or why not?
2. There have been persons in history who have been done great wrong and forgiven their oppressors. Do you think you could do that? Why or why not?
3. In what ways do you think Paulina's hatred could blind her to the possibility that Roberto is not the man who tortured her?
Essay Topic 3
Roberto asserts that Gerardo's wife needs psychiatric treatment. Gerardo assures him that he is her treatment.
1. Based on what you've seen thus far of Paulina's actions, do you think she needs psychiatric treatment? Why or why not?
2. Do you think needs psychiatric treatment would be beneficial to anyone who has undergone torture? Why or why not?
3. Do you think a husband should be trying to act as his wife's psychiatrist? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,456 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)