|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of sandwich does Paulina offer Roberto?
2. What does Paulina "slyly" mention?
3. What does Roberto say is the real reason he stopped back at Gerardo's home?
4. What could the fact that Paulina uses her panties to gag Roberto instead of something else symbolize?
5. Gerardo wife replies to Gerardo's accusation by saying what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paulina do before she leaves the house?
2. What relative of Roberto does Paulina mention and what does she say about this relative?
3. What does Paulina say about Schubert to Roberto?
4. What has happened to Roberto by midday and what has Paulina revealed?
5. What kind of position has Gerardo been offered and what does he say about it?
6. What does Paulina tell Roberto about her and Gerardo?
7. What is Gerard doing with Paulina on the patio at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, that she had started before and what interrupted them before?
8. What does Paulina say when Gerardo talks about going to the police?
9. What music does Paulina play and what does she say to Roberto about the music?
10. Why does Gerardo plead with Roberto to confess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This is another powerful scene where no dialogue, or at least no meaningful dialogue, is spoken.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
2. Do you think that some emotions can be better portrayed with watching behavior rather than with words? Why or why not?
3. If you were to watch some students in your school without being able to hear their words, would you have a good idea of what they might be saying? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina is frightened, even in her own home. She has survived severe torture and prison. This has affected her greatly.
1. Do you think her survival is due more to her mental toughness or physical toughness? Why?
2. What qualities do you think would be necessary for someone to survive what Paulina has been through?
3. Paulina is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. What do you think that means?
Essay Topic 3
Paulina still wants to know how many times Gerardo slept with the other woman. He finally admits to doing so a total of five times. He asks if she truly wants them to torture each other in this way.
1. Why do you think Paulina would try to get a specific number out of Gerardo?
2. What do you think of Gerardo's character after finding out he was with another woman while she was being tortured? Why?
3. Do you think it was easier or more difficult for Paulina to forgive her husband for being with another woman because she was in prison? Would it have been more difficult, do you think, if she had been at home? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,534 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)