|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the person in the answer to question #78?
2. What does Paulina "slyly" mention?
3. How does Paulina feel about the possibility of these people going to trial?
4. What does Paulina call Roberto?
5. When Paulina exits Roberto's room, what does she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play, DEATH AND THE MAIDEN, open?
2. Why was the doctor involved with torture?
3. Why does Gerardo plead with Roberto to confess?
4. What does Roberto say about Paulina to Gerardo and how does Gerardo respond?
5. What does Roberto tell Gerardo about his stopping at their house?
6. What does Roberto say about Paulina's accusations?
7. How is Gerardo acting when he comes in the house?
8. What does Paulina say to Roberto about breakfast?
9. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
10. What relative of Roberto does Paulina mention and what does she say about this relative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctor initially became involved to save people's lives. He was asked to sit in on interrogations to tell how much electric current the prisoner could take, and then he could tell the interrogator when to stop before the person died. He never killed a single person.
1. Do you think any truly compassionate doctor would have done this? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dr. Miranda's initial involvement with the prisoners violated his physician's oath? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Roberto should be punished for his involvement in the torture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina still wants to know how many times Gerardo slept with the other woman. He finally admits to doing so a total of five times. He asks if she truly wants them to torture each other in this way.
1. Why do you think Paulina would try to get a specific number out of Gerardo?
2. What do you think of Gerardo's character after finding out he was with another woman while she was being tortured? Why?
3. Do you think it was easier or more difficult for Paulina to forgive her husband for being with another woman because she was in prison? Would it have been more difficult, do you think, if she had been at home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Act 1, Scene 3, is an extremely brief scene without dialog, written all in stage directions. The stage is darker still, when a cloud has passed over the moon.
1. Why do you think a writer would have a scene without dialog? Use examples to support your answer.
2. What symbolism do you see in the darkness of the stage? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 2,357 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)