|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerardo's wife ask him?
2. Where is Paulina's mother going?
3. When Paulina goes to the guest bedroom door, what does she do?
4. In Paulina's talk to Roberto, where does she say Gerardo was waiting for her?
5. Who is the first person on the stage when the play opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paulina say when Gerardo talks about going to the police?
2. What is the purpose of the commission the government is forming?
3. What does Paulina hear while she is hiding?
4. What does Gerardo say when Paulina asks who was in the car?
5. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
6. What does Paulina say about Schubert to Roberto?
7. What does Paulina do before she leaves the house?
8. Why does Gerardo plead with Roberto to confess?
9. What does Gerardo say when they realize how late it is and how does Roberto respond?
10. What does Gerardo do when he sees Roberto and what does Paulina do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We are left wondering whether she would actually shoot him at the end of Act 2, Scene 1. Or would Gerardo forget something in the house and return to stop her? We are then forced to literally look at ourselves and those around us. What would each of us do in the same situation? Would we shoot, or let him live the rest of his days with his terrible secret?
1. Do you think you would do what Paulina is doing in her circumstances? Why or why not?
2. Do you think living with what he has done is worse punishment than killing him? Why or why not?
3. If you were a police officer called to the scene of Paulina killing Roberto, after listening to the confession, what would you do? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that this scene is set just before dawn could be symbolic of the dawn of realization that Roberto is not exempt from retaliation for his past deeds.
1. Why do you think the dawn could symbolize justice for Roberto?
2. At this point in the play Paulina is convinced Roberto is guilty, though Gerardo is not. As a reader do you believe Paulina's assertion? Why or why not?
3. If dawn might symbolize justice, could it also symbolize bringing the past to light? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Roberto asserts that Gerardo's wife needs psychiatric treatment. Gerardo assures him that he is her treatment.
1. Based on what you've seen thus far of Paulina's actions, do you think she needs psychiatric treatment? Why or why not?
2. Do you think needs psychiatric treatment would be beneficial to anyone who has undergone torture? Why or why not?
3. Do you think a husband should be trying to act as his wife's psychiatrist? Why or why not?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)