|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roberto say is the real reason he stopped back at Gerardo's home?
2. What was Paulina studying in college?
3. What does Paulina say there is none of in the house?
4. To what does Paulina have an aversion?
5. What does Paulina "slyly" mention?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paulina do after she locks her husband in their room?
2. What is Gerard doing with Paulina on the patio at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, that she had started before and what interrupted them before?
3. What does Paulina do when she comes inside the first time from talking to Gerardo on the terrace?
4. What does Paulina say when Gerardo talks about going to the police?
5. What do Gerardo and Paulina do when the music ends?
6. What does Gerardo do when he sees Roberto and what does Paulina do?
7. What does Roberto tell Gerardo about his stopping at their house?
8. What does Gerardo tell Paulina and who is at the door?
9. What does Gerardo tell Paulina was missing from his car and what does she say?
10. What does Gerardo say when Paulina asks who was in the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerardo continues his plea to indulge Paulina, as she is one of many who feel they need vengeance for past wrongs.
1. Do you think this means that Gerardo has no desire for vengeance? Why or why not?
2. Vengeance can be a two edged sword. What do you think is meant by this in view of Paulina's behavior?
3. Do you think vengeance can restore peace of mind? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina works herself into an excited fervor over the prospect of these individuals being punished or executed.
1. What do you think is the difference between revenge and justice? Use examples from the play and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Paulina's excitement is due to wanting revenge or wanting justice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gerardo looks at Paulina, who does not return the look, takes her hand and looks forward.
1. What do you think this behavior of Gerardo means?
2. What might be symbolically significant that Gerardo is looking forward and Paulina is looking at Roberto?
3. Does this part of the last scene seem to imply to you that Paulina still has not healed? Why or why not?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)