|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lighting of the stage in this scene?
2. What is heard from Roberto's room?
3. What does Roberto wish would happen to the people the commission ferrets out?
4. What could the fact that Paulina uses her panties to gag Roberto instead of something else symbolize?
5. What does Gerardo ask of Paulina after she tells him that Roberto is the man who tortured her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paulina hear while she is hiding?
2. How is Gerardo acting when he comes in the house?
3. Why does Paulina tell Roberto she is going to kill him even though he has confessed?
4. How and when was Paulina arrested and what was she too afraid to do?
5. What does Gerardo do when Roberto says Gerardo didn't protect his wife from rape?
6. What does Paulina say when Gerardo asks if she wants him to leave her?
7. What does Paulina get when she comes on the stage in Scene 3?
8. What does Paulina say when Gerardo talks about going to the police?
9. What does Paulina tell Roberto about her and Gerardo?
10. What does Roberto think of Gerardo acting nice and Paulina acting mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerardo looks at Paulina, who does not return the look, takes her hand and looks forward.
1. What do you think this behavior of Gerardo means?
2. What might be symbolically significant that Gerardo is looking forward and Paulina is looking at Roberto?
3. Does this part of the last scene seem to imply to you that Paulina still has not healed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As Paulina pays for some candy at the concert, Roberto enters. According to the stage direction, he may be real, or just in Paulina's head.
1. Do you think Roberto is there or that Paulina killed him? Why or why not?
2. If Paulina killed him, why do you think she would see him at a concert that played Schubert's Death and the Maiden?
3. Do you think it is more likely that Roberto is at the concert or that Paulina is insane? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
By the end of Act 1, Scene 3, assuming we don't already know the story, we know that Paulina is either crazy or desperate. Perhaps it is a combination of both.
1. Do you think Paulina is crazy? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
2. Do you think a person can be crazy and still live as normally as Paulina lives? Why or why not?
3. Why might desperation look like mental illness? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)