|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Roberto heard?
2. What do the two men jest about as they say goodnight.
3. What does Roberto wish would happen to the people the commission ferrets out?
4. To what does Paulina have an aversion?
5. What does Paulina do with the keys?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play, DEATH AND THE MAIDEN, open?
2. What happens after Paulina and Gerardo have had dinner the night he caught a ride home?
3. How is Gerardo acting when he comes in the house?
4. What does Paulina say when Gerardo asks if she wants him to leave her?
5. What does Gerardo first do when he gets home?
6. What do Gerardo and Paulina do when Schubert's Death and the Maiden begins?
7. What does Paulina pretend when Gerardo comes to bed and how does Gerardo respond?
8. What is Gerard doing with Paulina on the patio at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, that she had started before and what interrupted them before?
9. What does Roberto think of Gerardo acting nice and Paulina acting mean?
10. Why does Paulina talk about coffee to Roberto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerardo looks at Paulina, who does not return the look, takes her hand and looks forward.
1. What do you think this behavior of Gerardo means?
2. What might be symbolically significant that Gerardo is looking forward and Paulina is looking at Roberto?
3. Does this part of the last scene seem to imply to you that Paulina still has not healed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Roberto says that he heard about Gerardo's appointment to the Investigating Commission. He also seems very respectful of the role Gerardo will play, in that he will have many duties and worries on his hands shortly, and wants to help remove the trouble with the car.
1. Does Roberto's offer of help and wanting to talk about the commission seem suspicious? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Roberto's offer of help is logical given he has just met Gerardo? Why or why not?
3. Could Roberto's behavior in the statement above be a foreshadowing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of Act 1, Scene 3, assuming we don't already know the story, we know that Paulina is either crazy or desperate. Perhaps it is a combination of both.
1. Do you think Paulina is crazy? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
2. Do you think a person can be crazy and still live as normally as Paulina lives? Why or why not?
3. Why might desperation look like mental illness? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)