|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerardo offer Roberto?
2. Where is the person in question #1 sitting?
3. What could the lighting on the stage in this act mean?
4. What kind of sandwich does Paulina offer Roberto?
5. One is one explanation for Paulina's actions to Roberto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Roberto by midday and what has Paulina revealed?
2. What does Gerardo and Paulina talk about when they go outside?
3. What does Paulina say when Gerardo talks about going to the police?
4. What does Paulina say when Gerardo asks if she wants him to leave her?
5. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
6. What does Gerardo tell Roberto?
7. Why does Paulina tell Roberto she is going to kill him even though he has confessed?
8. What does Paulina hear while she is hiding?
9. What does Gerardo first do when he gets home?
10. What does Paulina tell Gerardo about Roberto and what does he say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paulina is frightened, even in her own home. She has survived severe torture and prison. This has affected her greatly.
1. Do you think her survival is due more to her mental toughness or physical toughness? Why?
2. What qualities do you think would be necessary for someone to survive what Paulina has been through?
3. Paulina is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. What do you think that means?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that this scene is set just before dawn could be symbolic of the dawn of realization that Roberto is not exempt from retaliation for his past deeds.
1. Why do you think the dawn could symbolize justice for Roberto?
2. At this point in the play Paulina is convinced Roberto is guilty, though Gerardo is not. As a reader do you believe Paulina's assertion? Why or why not?
3. If dawn might symbolize justice, could it also symbolize bringing the past to light? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Roberto asserts that Gerardo's wife needs psychiatric treatment. Gerardo assures him that he is her treatment.
1. Based on what you've seen thus far of Paulina's actions, do you think she needs psychiatric treatment? Why or why not?
2. Do you think needs psychiatric treatment would be beneficial to anyone who has undergone torture? Why or why not?
3. Do you think a husband should be trying to act as his wife's psychiatrist? Why or why not?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)