Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paulina's general demeanor during this scene?
2. What does Gerardo offer Roberto?
3. What is the lighting of the stage in this scene?
4. Gerardo wife replies to Gerardo's accusation by saying what?
5. Who is the first character on the stage in this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gerardo plead with Roberto to confess?
2. What does Paulina get when she goes back in the spare bedroom?
3. What is Gerardo going to tell Paulina about what he thinks Roberto is going to do?
4. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
5. What does Paulina tell Gerardo about Roberto and what does he say?
6. Why does Paulina talk about coffee to Roberto?
7. What does the audience hear from the room where Paulina went?
8. What does Gerardo and Paulina talk about when they go outside?
9. What does Gerardo tell Paulina was missing from his car and what does she say?
10. What do Gerardo and Paulina do when the music ends?
Essay Topic 1
As Paulina pays for some candy at the concert, Roberto enters. According to the stage direction, he may be real, or just in Paulina's head.
1. Do you think Roberto is there or that Paulina killed him? Why or why not?
2. If Paulina killed him, why do you think she would see him at a concert that played Schubert's Death and the Maiden?
3. Do you think it is more likely that Roberto is at the concert or that Paulina is insane? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
This is another powerful scene where no dialogue, or at least no meaningful dialogue, is spoken.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
2. Do you think that some emotions can be better portrayed with watching behavior rather than with words? Why or why not?
3. If you were to watch some students in your school without being able to hear their words, would you have a good idea of what they might be saying? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The doctor initially became involved to save people's lives. He was asked to sit in on interrogations to tell how much electric current the prisoner could take, and then he could tell the interrogator when to stop before the person died. He never killed a single person.
1. Do you think any truly compassionate doctor would have done this? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dr. Miranda's initial involvement with the prisoners violated his physician's oath? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Roberto should be punished for his involvement in the torture? Why or why not?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)