|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to speak in this scene?
2. What does Gerardo ask of Paulina after she tells him that Roberto is the man who tortured her?
3. What seems probable by Paulina's behavior while listening to the two men?
4. What kind of sandwich does Paulina offer Roberto?
5. Why is it likely Paulina does not want to encounter Roberto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gerardo tell Roberto?
2. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
3. Why does Paulina talk about coffee to Roberto?
4. What does Paulina do after she locks her husband in their room?
5. What is the purpose of the commission the government is forming?
6. Where does Paulina go after she picks up some items from a drawer?
7. What kind of position has Gerardo been offered and what does he say about it?
8. What happens after Paulina and Gerardo have had dinner the night he caught a ride home?
9. What does Paulina tell Gerardo about Roberto and what does he say?
10. What does Roberto tell Gerardo about his stopping at their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that this scene is set just before dawn could be symbolic of the dawn of realization that Roberto is not exempt from retaliation for his past deeds.
1. Why do you think the dawn could symbolize justice for Roberto?
2. At this point in the play Paulina is convinced Roberto is guilty, though Gerardo is not. As a reader do you believe Paulina's assertion? Why or why not?
3. If dawn might symbolize justice, could it also symbolize bringing the past to light? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina works herself into an excited fervor over the prospect of these individuals being punished or executed.
1. What do you think is the difference between revenge and justice? Use examples from the play and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Paulina's excitement is due to wanting revenge or wanting justice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Paulina still wants to know how many times Gerardo slept with the other woman. He finally admits to doing so a total of five times. He asks if she truly wants them to torture each other in this way.
1. Why do you think Paulina would try to get a specific number out of Gerardo?
2. What do you think of Gerardo's character after finding out he was with another woman while she was being tortured? Why?
3. Do you think it was easier or more difficult for Paulina to forgive her husband for being with another woman because she was in prison? Would it have been more difficult, do you think, if she had been at home? Why or why not?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)