|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerardo say his wife fails to do?
2. To what has Gerardo just been appointed?
3. Why did Gerardo lie to Paulina about the commission position?
4. Gerardo wife replies to Gerardo's accusation by saying what?
5. What kind of clothing does Paulina pull out of the drawer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Gerardo and Paulina enter the scene and what do they do?
2. What does Paulina say when Gerardo talks about going to the police?
3. What kind of position has Gerardo been offered and what does he say about it?
4. What does Paulina say to Roberto about breakfast?
5. What does Paulina do when she hears a car?
6. What does Paulina pretend when Gerardo comes to bed and how does Gerardo respond?
7. Why does Paulina tell Roberto she is going to kill him even though he has confessed?
8. What does Gerardo do when Roberto says Gerardo didn't protect his wife from rape?
9. Why was the doctor involved with torture?
10. What does Paulina do after she locks her husband in their room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerardo continues his plea to indulge Paulina, as she is one of many who feel they need vengeance for past wrongs.
1. Do you think this means that Gerardo has no desire for vengeance? Why or why not?
2. Vengeance can be a two edged sword. What do you think is meant by this in view of Paulina's behavior?
3. Do you think vengeance can restore peace of mind? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The doctor initially became involved to save people's lives. He was asked to sit in on interrogations to tell how much electric current the prisoner could take, and then he could tell the interrogator when to stop before the person died. He never killed a single person.
1. Do you think any truly compassionate doctor would have done this? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dr. Miranda's initial involvement with the prisoners violated his physician's oath? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Roberto should be punished for his involvement in the torture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The tension immediately picks up when Paulina hears a car, looks out the window and grabs for a gun.
1. What does Paulina's actions in the beginning of the play tell the audience? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What would you do in your home if you felt afraid?
3. Some say that fear produces aggression, such as Paulina with the gun. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)