|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Gerardo and Paulina go to bed?
2. What has Roberto heard?
3. What does Roberto say he enjoys when his wife and children are away?
4. What does Paulina tie to the chair?
5. From where has Paulina phoned the garage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gerardo say when Paulina asks who was in the car?
2. What does Roberto tell Gerardo about his stopping at their house?
3. What does Paulina get when she comes on the stage in Scene 3?
4. Why does Paulina tell Roberto she is going to kill him even though he has confessed?
5. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
6. How is Gerardo acting when he comes in the house?
7. What do Gerardo and Paulina appear not to notice while listening to the concert?
8. What music does Paulina play and what does she say to Roberto about the music?
9. Why does Paulina talk about coffee to Roberto?
10. What does Paulina pretend when Gerardo comes to bed and how does Gerardo respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that this scene is set just before dawn could be symbolic of the dawn of realization that Roberto is not exempt from retaliation for his past deeds.
1. Why do you think the dawn could symbolize justice for Roberto?
2. At this point in the play Paulina is convinced Roberto is guilty, though Gerardo is not. As a reader do you believe Paulina's assertion? Why or why not?
3. If dawn might symbolize justice, could it also symbolize bringing the past to light? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina still wants to know how many times Gerardo slept with the other woman. He finally admits to doing so a total of five times. He asks if she truly wants them to torture each other in this way.
1. Why do you think Paulina would try to get a specific number out of Gerardo?
2. What do you think of Gerardo's character after finding out he was with another woman while she was being tortured? Why?
3. Do you think it was easier or more difficult for Paulina to forgive her husband for being with another woman because she was in prison? Would it have been more difficult, do you think, if she had been at home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Act 1, Scene 3, is an extremely brief scene without dialog, written all in stage directions. The stage is darker still, when a cloud has passed over the moon.
1. Why do you think a writer would have a scene without dialog? Use examples to support your answer.
2. What symbolism do you see in the darkness of the stage? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)