|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two men jest about as they say goodnight.
2. What is supposed to happen on Sunday?
3. What happens after Gerardo and Paulina go to bed?
4. Where is the person in question #1 sitting?
5. What does Roberto say he enjoys when his wife and children are away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paulina say when Gerardo talks about going to the police?
2. What does Gerardo and Paulina talk about when they go outside?
3. What does Paulina say about Schubert to Roberto?
4. What does Roberto tell Gerardo about his stopping at their house?
5. What happens after Paulina and Gerardo have had dinner the night he caught a ride home?
6. What does the audience see after Paulina leaves the house?
7. What does Gerardo say when they realize how late it is and how does Roberto respond?
8. What has happened to Roberto by midday and what has Paulina revealed?
9. What does Gerardo say when Paulina asks who was in the car?
10. What is Gerard doing with Paulina on the patio at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, that she had started before and what interrupted them before?
Essay Topic 1
Roberto says that he heard about Gerardo's appointment to the Investigating Commission. He also seems very respectful of the role Gerardo will play, in that he will have many duties and worries on his hands shortly, and wants to help remove the trouble with the car.
1. Does Roberto's offer of help and wanting to talk about the commission seem suspicious? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Roberto's offer of help is logical given he has just met Gerardo? Why or why not?
3. Could Roberto's behavior in the statement above be a foreshadowing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina pretends that Gerardo has awakened her when he tells her that Roberto is staying the night, comforts her fear and asks her to make them breakfast in the morning.
1. Why do you think Paulina has pretended to be asleep?
2. Why do you think Paulina is afraid of strangers and do you think there is any way for her to overcome her fear?
Essay Topic 3
Paulina finally speaks, and her first monologue presents the full force of her hatred for the man calling himself Roberto Miranda.
1. Do you believe if someone carries hatred inside it is harmful to that person? Why or why not?
2. There have been persons in history who have been done great wrong and forgiven their oppressors. Do you think you could do that? Why or why not?
3. In what ways do you think Paulina's hatred could blind her to the possibility that Roberto is not the man who tortured her?
This section contains 2,518 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)