Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paulina's general demeanor during this scene?
2. What does Gerardo offer Roberto?
3. What is the lighting of the stage in this scene?
4. Gerardo wife replies to Gerardo's accusation by saying what?
5. Who is the first character on the stage in this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gerardo plead with Roberto to confess?
2. What does Paulina get when she goes back in the spare bedroom?
3. What is Gerardo going to tell Paulina about what he thinks Roberto is going to do?
4. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
5. What does Paulina tell Gerardo about Roberto and what does he say?
6. Why does Paulina talk about coffee to Roberto?
7. What does the audience hear from the room where Paulina went?
8. What does Gerardo and Paulina talk about when they go outside?
9. What does Gerardo tell Paulina was missing from his car and what does she say?
10. What do Gerardo and Paulina do when the music ends?
Essay Topic 1
Act 1, Scene 3, is an extremely brief scene without dialog, written all in stage directions. The stage is darker still, when a cloud has passed over the moon.
1. Why do you think a writer would have a scene without dialog? Use examples to support your answer.
2. What symbolism do you see in the darkness of the stage? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
We are left wondering whether she would actually shoot him at the end of Act 2, Scene 1. Or would Gerardo forget something in the house and return to stop her? We are then forced to literally look at ourselves and those around us. What would each of us do in the same situation? Would we shoot, or let him live the rest of his days with his terrible secret?
1. Do you think you would do what Paulina is doing in her circumstances? Why or why not?
2. Do you think living with what he has done is worse punishment than killing him? Why or why not?
3. If you were a police officer called to the scene of Paulina killing Roberto, after listening to the confession, what would you do? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Gerardo continues his plea to indulge Paulina, as she is one of many who feel they need vengeance for past wrongs.
1. Do you think this means that Gerardo has no desire for vengeance? Why or why not?
2. Vengeance can be a two edged sword. What do you think is meant by this in view of Paulina's behavior?
3. Do you think vengeance can restore peace of mind? Why or why not?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)