|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Gerardo lie to Paulina about the commission position?
2. What would be an adjective that might describe Paulina's actions at this point?
3. Who is the first character on the stage in this scene?
4. What is the occupation of the person in the answer to question #78?
5. To what has Gerardo just been appointed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paulina do when she comes inside the first time from talking to Gerardo on the terrace?
2. What does Roberto ask about concerning the car?
3. What does Paulina pretend when Gerardo comes to bed and how does Gerardo respond?
4. What does Roberto see when he awakes?
5. What does Paulina say about Schubert to Roberto?
6. Why do you think Act 1, Scene 3 has no dialogue?
7. What does Paulina get when she comes on the stage in Scene 3?
8. How do Gerardo and Paulina enter the scene and what do they do?
9. What does Paulina do after she locks her husband in their room?
10. What does the audience see after Paulina leaves the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paulina works herself into an excited fervor over the prospect of these individuals being punished or executed.
1. What do you think is the difference between revenge and justice? Use examples from the play and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Paulina's excitement is due to wanting revenge or wanting justice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that this scene is set just before dawn could be symbolic of the dawn of realization that Roberto is not exempt from retaliation for his past deeds.
1. Why do you think the dawn could symbolize justice for Roberto?
2. At this point in the play Paulina is convinced Roberto is guilty, though Gerardo is not. As a reader do you believe Paulina's assertion? Why or why not?
3. If dawn might symbolize justice, could it also symbolize bringing the past to light? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
We are left wondering whether she would actually shoot him at the end of Act 2, Scene 1. Or would Gerardo forget something in the house and return to stop her? We are then forced to literally look at ourselves and those around us. What would each of us do in the same situation? Would we shoot, or let him live the rest of his days with his terrible secret?
1. Do you think you would do what Paulina is doing in her circumstances? Why or why not?
2. Do you think living with what he has done is worse punishment than killing him? Why or why not?
3. If you were a police officer called to the scene of Paulina killing Roberto, after listening to the confession, what would you do? Why?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)