|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the commission?
2. What does Roberto probably believe about the commission?
3. What does the character in #1's answer grab when hearing a car?
4. What does Roberto suggest that Gerardo will have on his hands soon?
5. What happens to Gerardo's car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roberto say about Paulina's accusations?
2. What do Gerardo and Paulina appear not to notice while listening to the concert?
3. How do Gerardo and Paulina enter the scene and what do they do?
4. What does Gerardo first do when he gets home?
5. What has happened to Roberto by midday and what has Paulina revealed?
6. What does Gerardo tell Paulina and who is at the door?
7. What does Paulina pretend when Gerardo comes to bed and how does Gerardo respond?
8. What does Roberto finally say is his real purpose for stopping?
9. What does Roberto ask about concerning the car?
10. What does Gerardo say when Paulina asks who was in the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctor initially became involved to save people's lives. He was asked to sit in on interrogations to tell how much electric current the prisoner could take, and then he could tell the interrogator when to stop before the person died. He never killed a single person.
1. Do you think any truly compassionate doctor would have done this? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dr. Miranda's initial involvement with the prisoners violated his physician's oath? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Roberto should be punished for his involvement in the torture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This is another powerful scene where no dialogue, or at least no meaningful dialogue, is spoken.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
2. Do you think that some emotions can be better portrayed with watching behavior rather than with words? Why or why not?
3. If you were to watch some students in your school without being able to hear their words, would you have a good idea of what they might be saying? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Roberto asserts that Gerardo's wife needs psychiatric treatment. Gerardo assures him that he is her treatment.
1. Based on what you've seen thus far of Paulina's actions, do you think she needs psychiatric treatment? Why or why not?
2. Do you think needs psychiatric treatment would be beneficial to anyone who has undergone torture? Why or why not?
3. Do you think a husband should be trying to act as his wife's psychiatrist? Why or why not?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)