Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paulina's general demeanor during this scene?
2. What does Gerardo offer Roberto?
3. What is the lighting of the stage in this scene?
4. Gerardo wife replies to Gerardo's accusation by saying what?
5. Who is the first character on the stage in this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gerardo plead with Roberto to confess?
2. What does Paulina get when she goes back in the spare bedroom?
3. What is Gerardo going to tell Paulina about what he thinks Roberto is going to do?
4. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
5. What does Paulina tell Gerardo about Roberto and what does he say?
6. Why does Paulina talk about coffee to Roberto?
7. What does the audience hear from the room where Paulina went?
8. What does Gerardo and Paulina talk about when they go outside?
9. What does Gerardo tell Paulina was missing from his car and what does she say?
10. What do Gerardo and Paulina do when the music ends?
Essay Topic 1
We get a glimpse into the depths of Roberto's character, as his anger begins to show in Act 2, Scene 1.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
2. Considering how Roberto is acting do you think he is guilty? Why or why not?
3. If Roberto was innocent, do you think it would be natural for him to be angry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The doctor initially became involved to save people's lives. He was asked to sit in on interrogations to tell how much electric current the prisoner could take, and then he could tell the interrogator when to stop before the person died. He never killed a single person.
1. Do you think any truly compassionate doctor would have done this? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dr. Miranda's initial involvement with the prisoners violated his physician's oath? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Roberto should be punished for his involvement in the torture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Some audience members may also be shocked by Paulina's act of taking off her panties and stuffing them in Roberto's mouth. It is a moment that defines the disgust she feels for him. It is also a kind of smug revenge, as we shall see in later scenes, or a display of her new-found feminine power, now that she has the upper hand.
1. Do you think the act of Paulina stuffing Roberto's mouth with her panties might indicate some of the torture she endured? Why or why not? What type of torture would it suggest? Why?
2. Paulina now has the upper-hand with a man she believes was one of her captors. Do you think doing what she is starting to do only brings her down to his level? Why or why not?
3. If you found someone you thought had imprisoned you and tortured you what would your response be?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)