|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerardo call their argument?
2. Where is Paulina's mother going?
3. Why is it likely Paulina does not want to encounter Roberto?
4. About what do Gerardo and Roberto joke?
5. After Paulina is gone, how does the stage appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paulina say about Schubert to Roberto?
2. What does Roberto finally say is his real purpose for stopping?
3. What does Roberto ask about concerning the car?
4. What does Roberto tell Gerardo about his stopping at their house?
5. What does Gerardo tell Paulina and who is at the door?
6. What does Paulina say when Gerardo asks if she wants him to leave her?
7. What music does Paulina play and what does she say to Roberto about the music?
8. What happens after Paulina and Gerardo have had dinner the night he caught a ride home?
9. What does Paulina tell Gerardo about Roberto and what does he say?
10. What does Paulina say when Gerardo talks about going to the police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerardo continues his plea to indulge Paulina, as she is one of many who feel they need vengeance for past wrongs.
1. Do you think this means that Gerardo has no desire for vengeance? Why or why not?
2. Vengeance can be a two edged sword. What do you think is meant by this in view of Paulina's behavior?
3. Do you think vengeance can restore peace of mind? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paulina still wants to know how many times Gerardo slept with the other woman. He finally admits to doing so a total of five times. He asks if she truly wants them to torture each other in this way.
1. Why do you think Paulina would try to get a specific number out of Gerardo?
2. What do you think of Gerardo's character after finding out he was with another woman while she was being tortured? Why?
3. Do you think it was easier or more difficult for Paulina to forgive her husband for being with another woman because she was in prison? Would it have been more difficult, do you think, if she had been at home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The fact that this scene is set just before dawn could be symbolic of the dawn of realization that Roberto is not exempt from retaliation for his past deeds.
1. Why do you think the dawn could symbolize justice for Roberto?
2. At this point in the play Paulina is convinced Roberto is guilty, though Gerardo is not. As a reader do you believe Paulina's assertion? Why or why not?
3. If dawn might symbolize justice, could it also symbolize bringing the past to light? Why or why not?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)