|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the person in the answer to question #78?
2. Who is the first person to speak in this scene?
3. Where does Paulina find Roberto's keys?
4. What does Paulina "slyly" mention?
5. When Paulina goes to the guest bedroom door, what does she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gerardo first do when he gets home?
2. When and under what circumstances did Paulina meet Dr. Miranda?
3. What does Paulina finally say is the main thing she wants from Roberto?
4. How and when was Paulina arrested and what was she too afraid to do?
5. Why does Paulina talk about coffee to Roberto?
6. What does the audience see after Paulina leaves the house?
7. What does Gerardo do when Roberto says Gerardo didn't protect his wife from rape?
8. What does Gerardo tell Roberto?
9. What does Paulina do when she hears a car?
10. Where does the last Scene open?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paulina still wants to know how many times Gerardo slept with the other woman. He finally admits to doing so a total of five times. He asks if she truly wants them to torture each other in this way.
1. Why do you think Paulina would try to get a specific number out of Gerardo?
2. What do you think of Gerardo's character after finding out he was with another woman while she was being tortured? Why?
3. Do you think it was easier or more difficult for Paulina to forgive her husband for being with another woman because she was in prison? Would it have been more difficult, do you think, if she had been at home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The doctor initially became involved to save people's lives. He was asked to sit in on interrogations to tell how much electric current the prisoner could take, and then he could tell the interrogator when to stop before the person died. He never killed a single person.
1. Do you think any truly compassionate doctor would have done this? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dr. Miranda's initial involvement with the prisoners violated his physician's oath? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Roberto should be punished for his involvement in the torture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gerardo continues his plea to indulge Paulina, as she is one of many who feel they need vengeance for past wrongs.
1. Do you think this means that Gerardo has no desire for vengeance? Why or why not?
2. Vengeance can be a two edged sword. What do you think is meant by this in view of Paulina's behavior?
3. Do you think vengeance can restore peace of mind? Why or why not?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)