|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paulina feel when she hears Death and the Maiden at a friend's house?
2. What kind of sandwich does Paulina offer Roberto?
3. Why were Gerardo and Paulina frightened by a visitor in the middle of the night?
4. What invitation does Gerardo extend to Roberto?
5. What is Gerardo's feelings in his offer of friendship with Roberto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roberto tell Gerardo about his stopping at their house?
2. What does Paulina say to Gerardo's wanting Roberto to explain his side?
3. How does the play, DEATH AND THE MAIDEN, open?
4. What do Gerardo and Paulina do when Schubert's Death and the Maiden begins?
5. Where does Paulina go after she picks up some items from a drawer?
6. What does Gerardo do when Roberto says Gerardo didn't protect his wife from rape?
7. What does Paulina do when she hears a car?
8. What does the audience see after Paulina leaves the house?
9. What does Paulina do when she comes inside the first time from talking to Gerardo on the terrace?
10. What does Gerardo tell Roberto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Paulina pays for some candy at the concert, Roberto enters. According to the stage direction, he may be real, or just in Paulina's head.
1. Do you think Roberto is there or that Paulina killed him? Why or why not?
2. If Paulina killed him, why do you think she would see him at a concert that played Schubert's Death and the Maiden?
3. Do you think it is more likely that Roberto is at the concert or that Paulina is insane? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The tension immediately picks up when Paulina hears a car, looks out the window and grabs for a gun.
1. What does Paulina's actions in the beginning of the play tell the audience? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What would you do in your home if you felt afraid?
3. Some say that fear produces aggression, such as Paulina with the gun. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Paulina is frightened, even in her own home. She has survived severe torture and prison. This has affected her greatly.
1. Do you think her survival is due more to her mental toughness or physical toughness? Why?
2. What qualities do you think would be necessary for someone to survive what Paulina has been through?
3. Paulina is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. What do you think that means?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)