|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Portia's mother think about Anna?
2. How does Portia know Eddie?
3. To what did Eddie limit his communication with Anna after he began working for Thomas?
4. What does Major Brutt send to Portia as a gift?
5. When did Eddie's visits start to become much more regular?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Daphne's friends warm up to Portia?
2. How does Daphne greet Portia?
3. What happens when Matchett finds the letter from Eddie under Portia's pillow?
4. What is contained in the letter Anna writes to Eddie?
5. What happens when Anna and Thomas come home from their trip?
6. Portia tells Lilian she wants to confront Eddie about what?
7. Why doesn't Portia want to write in her diary how she feels about leaving Waikiki?
8. What does Portia tell Major Brutt about Anna and Thomas?
9. On what nights does Matchett say goodnight to Portia?
10. What happens at the movie theater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An author's own convictions often shine through in his/her work. At what points in the novel do you think Bowen is voicing her own opinions? How does she accomplish this? How effective is she in masking her own feelings with the voices of her characters? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
It is St. Quentin's words about trust and honor that lead to the conversation which results, ultimately, in the end of Portia and Eddie's relationship. Why might St. Quentin's words have bothered her so much, when none of the other warnings she received had the same effect? Do you think that earlier in the novel, before all of the problems that Portia and Eddie had, that his words would have had the same effect on her? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did Portia's trip to Waikiki influence her? Were the resulting changes good or bad? How was she different after returning home? Were the results of her new behaviors positive or negative? Was she better off, having had that experience? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)