|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Eddie's visits start to become much more regular?
2. Who comes in while Major Brutt and Thomas are talking?
3. Where does Daphne work?
4. How does Major Brutt feel about Anna's marriage to Thomas?
5. What does Portia like about Eddie, according to what she tells Lilian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it a surprise when Major Brutt visits the Quaynes' home?
2. Why does Mr. Bursely make Portia so uncomfortable at the party?
3. What does Portia leave behind at Eddie's?
4. What happens when Anna and Thomas come home from their trip?
5. What happens at the movie theater?
6. What is Anna's relationship with Major Brutt?
7. Why does Portia have to go stay on the coast in spring?
8. What is Miss Paullie's school like?
9. How does Matchett feel about Mrs. Quayne?
10. How does Thomas feel about Portia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is St. Quentin's words about trust and honor that lead to the conversation which results, ultimately, in the end of Portia and Eddie's relationship. Why might St. Quentin's words have bothered her so much, when none of the other warnings she received had the same effect? Do you think that earlier in the novel, before all of the problems that Portia and Eddie had, that his words would have had the same effect on her? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Anna and Portia. What similarities do the two share? How are they different? Do you think it was their similarities or their differences that made their relationship with one another so difficult? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Portia had many men in her life, all of whom influenced her in some way. Choose one of these men, who you think had the biggest influence on Portia's character and the course of her life. Why was this man so important? What did he teach Portia? Did his influence make her life better or worse? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)