|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening at the Quaynes' home in April?
2. Where did Mr. Quayne meet Irene?
3. What does Thomas notice about Portia and Eddie the first time he sees them together?
4. Who had Portia's diary for nine days?
5. What does Major Brutt accept from Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dickie tell Portia before she leaves Waikiki?
2. What happens when Matchett finds the letter from Eddie under Portia's pillow?
3. What happens at the movie theater?
4. What does Portia tell Lilian about why she likes Eddie?
5. Who are Daphne and Dickie?
6. How does Thomas react to Portia visiting him in his study?
7. Why do Anna and Thomas decide to send Matchett to retrieve Portia?
8. Why is it a surprise when Major Brutt visits the Quaynes' home?
9. According to Matchett, what changed about Portia during her trip to Waikiki?
10. What attracted Thomas most to Anna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An author's own convictions often shine through in his/her work. At what points in the novel do you think Bowen is voicing her own opinions? How does she accomplish this? How effective is she in masking her own feelings with the voices of her characters? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Eddie established himself as the villain of the story; once Eddie was gone, in many ways, Major Brutt took his place as Portia's confidante and friend. Contrast these two characters. What did Portia learn from each of them? Who had more of an influence on her, for better or worse? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Dickie and Daphne. What do they have in common? Why do they enjoy antagonizing one another so much? Who has more of an effect on Portia's character? Why? What makes them so different from anyone else Portia has known? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)