|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Suggestions 7 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it true progress when a woman does not clap after a man cooks a meal according to Suggestion 6?
(a) When she claps, this implies that cooking is an inherently female act.
(b) Her clapping gives the man the impression that he is good at something that he is not.
(c) When she claps, she is giving unnecessary praise.
(d) Her clapping tells the man that she loves him for his cooking.
2. What are some other reasons Adichie gives for keeping her last name?
(a) Adichie is the name her mother has always called her, and it means strength in Igbo.
(b) Adichie signifies her Igbo culture, and she does not want to take on her American husband's name and lose that.
(c) Adichie is the name she has had since birth, the name that has traveled with her through life's milestones.
(d) Adichie is the only name she has ever known.
3. What is Ijeawele's daughter's name?
(a) Ijeawele Adichie.
(b) Chizalum Adora.
(c) Chizalum Adichie.
(d) Chizalum Ijeawele.
4. How long has Adichie known Ijeawele as mentioned in the Introduction?
(a) Since they both joined a local club.
(b) Since childhood.
(c) Since college.
(d) Since high school.
5. In Suggestion 8, what is it that we, our society, teach girls?
(a) Society teaches girls to be shy, to be good listeners, and to be uplifting wives.
(b) Society teaches girls to be likeable, to be honest, and to be kind.
(c) Society teaches girls to be strong, smart, and outgoing.
(d) Society teaches girls to be likeable, to be nice, and to be false.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should Ijeawele do about the onslaught of white beauty Chizalum will see?
2. At the start of Suggestion 4, what does Adichie warn her friend about?
3. At the start of Suggestion 6, how does the author define "language"?
4. What is the better alternative to saying, "Don't you know you're old enough to find a husband?" (27)?
5. How does Adichie feel about Sanders' advice?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)