|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Suggestions 4 - 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the magnificent thing that Ijeawele has done at the start of the letter?
(a) Ijeawele has asked for advice.
(b) Ijeawele has left her husband who was unfaithful
(c) Ijeawele has brought a feminist into the world.
(d) Ijeawele has brought a human being in the world.
2. What is Adichie's concern around young girl's experience with sports?
(a) Adichie considers how this lack of physical activity affects future health for young girls.
(b) Adichie fears that girls do not reach higher levels of sports because of their upbringings.
(c) Adichie wonders if girls should not play sports, because they are too dangerous.
(d) Adichie worries that girls have parts of themselves silenced and stifled, because sports are male activities.
3. What warning does Adichie make to her friend at the end of the Opening of the Letter?
(a) Chizalum will turn out according to society, but Ijeawele should punish her if she does.
(b) Society will tell Chizalum to be careful how she acts around men.
(c) Ijeawele might do everything Adichie suggests, but Chizalum will turn out differently.
(d) Ijeawele will not be able to teach all Suggestions, but she should focus on some.
4. What does Adichie introduce as a true Igbo tradition in Suggestion 1?
(a) The father working and the mother staying at home.
(b) The mother staying home.
(c) The mother working and raising the children.
(d) A double-income family.
5. What does Adichie propose Ijeawele teach her daughter to overcome all the issues presented in Suggestion 3?
(a) Adichie says to teach Chizalum self-reliance, that it is important for her to have independence.
(b) Adichie says to teach Chizalum the difference between gender inequality and sexism.
(c) Adichie says to teach Chizalum to research feminism and use its tools to better her own life.
(d) Adichie says to teach Chizalum how to stand up for herself and teach others about inequality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important that Chizalum reject gender roles from the beginning as stated in Suggestion 3?
2. What example does Adichie provide to prove her point about Igbo tradition?
3. What does Adichie say needs to be the second part of, "If you criticize X in women, but do not criticize X in men..." (27)?
4. What question does Adichie's friend, Ijeawele, ask her at the start of the text?
5. Adichie identifies two "Feminist Tools" for Ijeawele to consider. What are they?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)