|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the bartender at the Paul Pry?
2. Blake remembers asking Beth once if she thought he looked like who in Chapter 6?
3. What does Sally call Blake in a fight in Chapter 3?
4. What does Blake put over Fenton's head in Chapter 10?
5. How old was Blake's wife when she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Blake go with Finney after leaving the Paul Pry in Chapter 2?
2. Why are the Muntons pursuing Blake in Chapter 4? What foreshadowing is used in this chapter?
3. How does Blake discover who Sally's visitor was in Chapter 3? What does Sally do?
4. Who follows Blake in the Meat Wagon in Chapter 2? What does he learn from Finney?
5. How does Blake describe the history of the Munton family in Chapter 7?
6. What conversation does Blake's boss have with him in Chapter 6?
7. What is described in the news article which opens the book? To whose point of view does the narrative switch after the article?
8. What foreshadowing takes place at the Paul Pry in Chapter 1?
9. What does Blake ask Sally when he sees her in Chapter 3? What is her reaction?
10. What flashback is used in Chapter 4? What is described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Baz, Lee, Jess, and Tommy Munton. How does Blake describe the history of the Muntons in Mangel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism and imagery of East Bloater Road and analyze the actions of the protagonist in Chapter 11. How does Blake become trapped by the Munton brothers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of flashback in the narrative and the events described in the fire at Hoppers. How did Blake's actions put Beth at the scene of the fire?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)