|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Constabulary also testifies that most fishing boats ___________________.
2. Who helps Stone release the yacht so that Stone can get away?
3. The Constabulary testifies that there were multiple _______________ found on the Expansive.
4. What information does Arrington's faxed letter to Stone contain?
5. The jury in the case consists of ______________ men.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Frank Stendahl and how is his testimony damning for Allison?
2. What does Stone learn about Arrington who has still not shown up on the island?
3. What does Sir Leslie gives Stone from Allison, and what does he ask of Stone?
4. What is Jim Forrester's reaction when Stone suggests that Stendahl might actually be Paul Manning?
5. What is Stone's life like after the trial and what revelation does he make that now makes sense?
6. Describe Allison's demeanor during her testimony.
7. What assertions is Stone able to make regarding Paul Manning's health as a possible cause of death and the reason why Stendahl would like to see Allison convicted?
8. According to Sir Leslie, what is Sir Winston willing to do in order to get the prime minister's position?
9. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
10. How is Sir Winston unsuccessful at undermining Stone with a surprise witness as the trial begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
How does Woods use the literary technique of local color in "Dead in the Water"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in St. Marks establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)