|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new man who Stone meets at the bar at the Shipwright's Arms?
2. What does Stone notice as he leave's Allison's yacht?
3. Jim Forrester testifies that the Mannings had ______________________.
4. What does the man in #139 say his profession is?
5. Why does Stone contact Bill Eggers again?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Sir Leslie, what is Sir Winston willing to do in order to get the prime minister's position?
2. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
3. Describe Allison's demeanor during her testimony.
4. What is Stone's perception of Allison's private meeting with Sir Leslie?
5. How has Sir Leslie masterminded the trial and Allison's fake execution?
6. What is the purpose of Sir Winston's having Stone forcefully brought to him for a meeting?
7. Describe Jim Forrester's testimony at the trial.
8. What does Stone learn about Libby Manning's mother, and how does he help the woman personally?
9. Who is the man who shows up at the Shipwright's Arms and what does Stone find notable about him?
10. How does Stone insure that Allison has an alibi for her whereabouts when the Race pulls out of the harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Allison. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)