|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allison do when she hears her sentence?
2. Bill Eggers begins a campaign of outrage against the prime minister including an interview on which television program?
3. Stone instructs Allison to call the yacht broker to have the new yacht moved to _________________.
4. What does Stone suggest regarding Stendahl?
5. What does Allison do the night before the trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stone learn about Paul and Libby's divorce decree?
2. How are Stone and Allison at odds regarding Allison's obligations to Libby's family after Libby's death?
3. Who is Frank Stendahl and how is his testimony damning for Allison?
4. How has Sir Leslie masterminded the trial and Allison's fake execution?
5. How is Sir Winston unsuccessful at undermining Stone with a surprise witness as the trial begins?
6. Why is Allison packing and what close call does Stone help her avoid?
7. Describe Allison's demeanor during her testimony.
8. What assertions is Stone able to make regarding Paul Manning's health as a possible cause of death and the reason why Stendahl would like to see Allison convicted?
9. Describe the events leading up to Allison's execution, and how the various characters react.
10. What does Stone learn about Libby Manning's mother, and how does he help the woman personally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Dead in the Water" is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Suspicion takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Allison. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)