|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stone notice as he leave's Allison's yacht?
2. The jury in the case consists of ______________ men.
3. Who is Sir Winston's surprise witness?
4. What does Stone note about the man in #139?
5. What does the man in #139 say his profession is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim Forrester's testimony at the trial.
2. What does Sir Leslie gives Stone from Allison, and what does he ask of Stone?
3. Who is Frank Stendahl and how is his testimony damning for Allison?
4. What is the significance of the spear gun and the missing spear that Stone comes across?
5. What does Stone learn about Libby Manning's mother, and how does he help the woman personally?
6. Describe Allison's demeanor during her testimony.
7. What changes Stone's perspective on Allison's use of a spear gun to kill her husband?
8. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
9. What is Stone's life like after the trial and what revelation does he make that now makes sense?
10. What is Stone's perception of Allison's private meeting with Sir Leslie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Woods is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Woods uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story, and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Woods' writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "Dead in the Water".
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)