|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the person in #148?
2. The jury in the case consists of ______________ men.
3. Sir Leslie makes his opening remarks, pointing out that ________________________.
4. The witness testifies that the insurance money was moved to an account ___________________.
5. Who helps Stone release the yacht so that Stone can get away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Allison packing and what close call does Stone help her avoid?
2. According to Sir Leslie, what is Sir Winston willing to do in order to get the prime minister's position?
3. What is the verdict in the coroner's inquest into the plane crash that killed Libby Manning?
4. Who is Frank Stendahl and how is his testimony damning for Allison?
5. What is Stone's perception of Allison's private meeting with Sir Leslie?
6. What is the purpose of Sir Winston's having Stone forcefully brought to him for a meeting?
7. What does Stone learn about Libby Manning's mother, and how does he help the woman personally?
8. What is Jim Forrester's reaction when Stone suggests that Stendahl might actually be Paul Manning?
9. How does Stone insure that Allison has an alibi for her whereabouts when the Race pulls out of the harbor?
10. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Stone. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
"Dead in the Water" is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How does Woods use the literary technique of local color in "Dead in the Water"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in St. Marks establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)