|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stone instructs Allison to call the yacht broker to have the new yacht moved to _________________.
2. What is the verdict delivered in the case?
3. What does the plane's mechanic reveal when Stone goes to the airport to see him?
4. Stone insists that Allison never _________________.
5. When did the arrangement in #113 expire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stone learn about Libby Manning's mother, and how does he help the woman personally?
2. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
3. What does Sir Leslie gives Stone from Allison, and what does he ask of Stone?
4. How are Stone and Allison at odds regarding Allison's obligations to Libby's family after Libby's death?
5. What is Jim Forrester's reaction when Stone suggests that Stendahl might actually be Paul Manning?
6. What is Stone's life like after the trial and what revelation does he make that now makes sense?
7. What changes Stone's perspective on Allison's use of a spear gun to kill her husband?
8. Who is Frank Stendahl and how is his testimony damning for Allison?
9. Who is the man who shows up at the Shipwright's Arms and what does Stone find notable about him?
10. What is the significance of the spear gun and the missing spear that Stone comes across?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Stone, Arrington and Allison. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "Dead in the Water"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)