|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stone tell the person about in #109?
2. What is the content of a fax which Stone receives from Arrington?
3. Why does Stone call Bill Eggers from the yacht?
4. Who does Sir Leslie say will replace the prime minister?
5. How does Sir Winston treat Allison when she is on the stand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim Forrester's testimony at the trial.
2. How is Sir Winston unsuccessful at undermining Stone with a surprise witness as the trial begins?
3. According to Sir Leslie, what is Sir Winston willing to do in order to get the prime minister's position?
4. How has Sir Leslie masterminded the trial and Allison's fake execution?
5. What changes Stone's perspective on Allison's use of a spear gun to kill her husband?
6. What does Stone learn about Paul and Libby's divorce decree?
7. What is Stone's life like after the trial and what revelation does he make that now makes sense?
8. Describe the events leading up to Allison's execution, and how the various characters react.
9. What is the significance of the spear gun and the missing spear that Stone comes across?
10. Who is the man who shows up at the Shipwright's Arms and what does Stone find notable about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Woods' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Woods' writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "Dead in the Water".
Essay Topic 3
Suspicion takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)