|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stone suggest regarding Stendahl?
2. When did the arrangement in #113 expire?
3. What information does Arrington's faxed letter to Stone contain?
4. Sir Leslie makes his opening remarks, pointing out that ________________________.
5. Stone and Allison discuss whether or not Allison will be responsible for ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stone learn about Libby Manning's mother, and how does he help the woman personally?
2. What does Stone learn about Arrington who has still not shown up on the island?
3. According to Sir Leslie, what is Sir Winston willing to do in order to get the prime minister's position?
4. What does Sir Leslie gives Stone from Allison, and what does he ask of Stone?
5. What is Stone's perception of Allison's private meeting with Sir Leslie?
6. Describe the events leading up to Allison's execution, and how the various characters react.
7. What is the verdict in the coroner's inquest into the plane crash that killed Libby Manning?
8. What assertions is Stone able to make regarding Paul Manning's health as a possible cause of death and the reason why Stendahl would like to see Allison convicted?
9. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
10. Who is Frank Stendahl and how is his testimony damning for Allison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Jim Forrester. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)