|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allison do during Stone's practice questioning?
2. What does Stone tell Libby's lawyer?
3. What does Stone note about the man in #139?
4. Who is Sir Winston's surprise witness?
5. The jury convicts Allison based on ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Sir Winston's having Stone forcefully brought to him for a meeting?
2. What changes Stone's perspective on Allison's use of a spear gun to kill her husband?
3. What does Stone learn about Libby Manning's mother, and how does he help the woman personally?
4. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
5. What is Stone's life like after the trial and what revelation does he make that now makes sense?
6. Describe Allison's demeanor during her testimony.
7. How is Sir Winston unsuccessful at undermining Stone with a surprise witness as the trial begins?
8. How does Stone insure that Allison has an alibi for her whereabouts when the Race pulls out of the harbor?
9. How are Stone and Allison at odds regarding Allison's obligations to Libby's family after Libby's death?
10. What does Sir Leslie gives Stone from Allison, and what does he ask of Stone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Woods use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does Woods use the literary technique of local color in "Dead in the Water"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in St. Marks establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "Dead in the Water"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)