|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on the stand, how does Allison describe her early marriage to Paul?
2. Who does Thomas think the man in #139 is?
3. What is the name of the yacht which Allison has chartered to take her out of St. Marks?
4. Who does Sir Leslie say will replace the prime minister?
5. Who is the Constabulary who Sir Winston calls to testify?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the verdict in the coroner's inquest into the plane crash that killed Libby Manning?
2. What is the purpose of Sir Winston's having Stone forcefully brought to him for a meeting?
3. How has Sir Leslie masterminded the trial and Allison's fake execution?
4. Why is Allison packing and what close call does Stone help her avoid?
5. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
6. What is Stone's life like after the trial and what revelation does he make that now makes sense?
7. How is Sir Winston unsuccessful at undermining Stone with a surprise witness as the trial begins?
8. What is Stone's perception of Allison's private meeting with Sir Leslie?
9. What is the significance of the spear gun and the missing spear that Stone comes across?
10. What does Stone learn about Paul and Libby's divorce decree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Libby Manning. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Libby Manning's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Stone, Arrington and Allison. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)