|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The mechanic of the plane in which Libby died testifies that the crash could have been caused by what?
2. Bill Eggers begins a campaign of outrage against the prime minister including an interview on which television program?
3. Why does Stone call Bill Eggers from the yacht?
4. Who refuses to visit with Allison even though she requests to see him?
5. Jim Forrester testifies that the Mannings had ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jim Forrester's reaction when Stone suggests that Stendahl might actually be Paul Manning?
2. Why is Allison packing and what close call does Stone help her avoid?
3. What is the purpose of Sir Winston's having Stone forcefully brought to him for a meeting?
4. What is the significance of the spear gun and the missing spear that Stone comes across?
5. Who is the man who shows up at the Shipwright's Arms and what does Stone find notable about him?
6. How are Stone and Allison at odds regarding Allison's obligations to Libby's family after Libby's death?
7. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
8. What is the verdict in the coroner's inquest into the plane crash that killed Libby Manning?
9. According to Sir Leslie, what is Sir Winston willing to do in order to get the prime minister's position?
10. Who is Frank Stendahl and how is his testimony damning for Allison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Allison. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Woods uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story, and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)