|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not mentioned in Paul's will?
2. What is Stone's profession?
3. Who was Paul Manning's first wife?
4. What are the conditions of Allison's bail?
5. What information does Paul's first wife give Stone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the reporters who have come to the island to cover Allison's trial?
2. Why can Stone not represent Allison in her trial and why does Sir Leslie appear to be the perfect man for the job?
3. Why does Stone use Paul Manning's medical report in the coroner's inquest?
4. Why is Allison's seduction of Stone a suspicious move?
5. What are the terms of Allison's bail, and what are consequences if she should violate it?
6. Why does Allison have mixed feelings regarding Stone's payment to Libby?
7. Who is Arrington Carter and what is her relationship with Stone?
8. Why does Jim Forrester want to be present when Allison gives an interview to the reporter from 60 Minutes?
9. Why is Allison unable to elude the police as she tries to escape from the island?
10. Who is Hilary Kramer and what is her role in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suspicion takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Woods is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Woods uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story, and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)