|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul Manning had been married before to a woman who lived in which U.S. state?
2. What are the conditions of Allison's bail?
3. What does the man in #8 tell Stone about the yacht's passenger(s)?
4. What happened to the husband on board the ship?
5. Paul Manning survived financially on __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Allison Manning and how does Stone come in contact with her?
2. Why does Jim Forrester want to be present when Allison gives an interview to the reporter from 60 Minutes?
3. Who is Jim Forrester and how does Stone meet him?
4. What deal does Stone strike with Libby on Allison's behalf?
5. Why is Sir Winston, the Minister of Justice, so interested in Allison's case?
6. What is Libby's fate when trying to leave the island and why does Stone not think Allison is behind the tragedy?
7. Why does Allison have mixed feelings regarding Stone's payment to Libby?
8. Why is Allison's seduction of Stone a suspicious move?
9. What is Stone's plan for putting some public pressure on Sir Winston regarding the case?
10. What is so disconcerting about Jim Forrester's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Woods' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Woods' writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "Dead in the Water".
Essay Topic 3
Woods uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story, and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)