|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sir Winston's hypothesis about Allison's case?
2. Who is the interim barrister defending Allison?
3. Who are present when Chris Wheaton interviews Allison?
4. Who is the Minister of Justice on the island?
5. What does the man in #37 ask the judge immediately in the courtroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Arrington Carter and what is her relationship with Stone?
2. What deal does Stone strike with Libby on Allison's behalf?
3. How is Sir Winston unsuccessful at undermining Stone with a surprise witness as the trial begins?
4. Why does Allison have mixed feelings regarding Stone's payment to Libby?
5. Describe Allison's demeanor during her testimony.
6. What is Allison's story regarding her husband's death?
7. How has Sir Leslie masterminded the trial and Allison's fake execution?
8. What does Stone learn about Arrington who has still not shown up on the island?
9. How does Stone insure that Allison has an alibi for her whereabouts when the Race pulls out of the harbor?
10. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "Dead in the Water"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,652 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)