Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an option the jury has in the woman's case?
2. Stone spends part of the night writing a letter to whom?
3. What was Stone's former profession?
4. What does Stone tell Allison is her best chance of surviving her situation?
5. Paul Manning survived financially on __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sir Leslie gives Stone from Allison, and what does he ask of Stone?
2. How does Stone manage the media and press conference for Allison?
3. Why is Sir Winston, the Minister of Justice, so interested in Allison's case?
4. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
5. Who is Jim Forrester and how does Stone meet him?
6. What does Bob Cantor uncover regarding the Mannings' activities prior to leaving the Canary Islands?
7. Describe Jim Forrester's testimony at the trial.
8. How is Sir Winston unsuccessful at undermining Stone with a surprise witness as the trial begins?
9. What is the message of the fax which Stone receives from Arrington?
10. What assertions is Stone able to make regarding Paul Manning's health as a possible cause of death and the reason why Stendahl would like to see Allison convicted?
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Explain Woods' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)