|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On St. Marks, anyone convicted of a crime is often _____________________.
2. Why does Stone tell Allison to leave the island?
3. Allison refuses to leave the island without her briefcase and ____________________.
4. What are the conditions of Allison's bail?
5. Stone feels that he has successfully ruled out __________________ in the case.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Chris Wheaton and what is her role in the peripheral trial activities?
2. What does the investigator learn about Paul Manning which may indicate that he committed suicide?
3. What does Bob Cantor uncover regarding the Mannings' activities prior to leaving the Canary Islands?
4. Who is Jim Forrester and how does Stone meet him?
5. What is Allison's story regarding her husband's death?
6. Who is Allison Manning and how does Stone come in contact with her?
7. Who is Stone Barrington?
8. Why is Allison unable to elude the police as she tries to escape from the island?
9. What is so disconcerting about Jim Forrester's story?
10. Who is Libby Manning and what is her possible impact on Allison's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Woods' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Woods use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)