|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the tropical island where Stone is vacationing?
2. Allison does not act like _____________________.
3. What are the conditions of Allison's bail?
4. Who is representing Allison legally?
5. Who is the attorney who will represent Allison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Allison's story regarding her husband's death?
2. Why does Jim Forrester want to be present when Allison gives an interview to the reporter from 60 Minutes?
3. What does the investigator learn about Paul Manning which may indicate that he committed suicide?
4. Who is Allison Manning and how does Stone come in contact with her?
5. What happens to the reporters who have come to the island to cover Allison's trial?
6. What does Stone learn about Paul Manning from his conversation with Bob Cantor?
7. What are the terms of Allison's bail, and what are consequences if she should violate it?
8. How does Stone manage the media and press conference for Allison?
9. What does Stone learn from Sir Leslie about the drastic punishment inflicted on guilty parties in St. Marks?
10. What is so disconcerting about Jim Forrester's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suspicion takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
"Dead in the Water" is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Woods is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)