|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of the Mannings' property had been stolen?
2. Stone tells Libby that Allison will pay her __________________ if she will sign a contract promising not to make any more claims against Paul's estate.
3. Who is the Hollywood star who Stone's girlfriend wants to interview?
4. The 60 Minutes reporter thinks that Allison is _____________.
5. After the press conference, the media is invited to take photographs of ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chris Wheaton's opinion of Allison and how does she intend to portray Allison in the broadcast segment?
2. What is Libby's fate when trying to leave the island and why does Stone not think Allison is behind the tragedy?
3. Who is Allison Manning and how does Stone come in contact with her?
4. Why is Sir Winston, the Minister of Justice, so interested in Allison's case?
5. Who is Hilary Kramer and what is her role in the story?
6. What is the message of the fax which Stone receives from Arrington?
7. How could Stone's media blitz backfire on him and be negative for Allison's trial?
8. Why does Stone use Paul Manning's medical report in the coroner's inquest?
9. Why does Allison have mixed feelings regarding Stone's payment to Libby?
10. What request does Sir Leslie make of the court regarding Stone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "Dead in the Water"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Woods is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Sir Winston. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)