|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about Paul's medical report?
2. What event does Stone and Allison attend in Chapter 5?
3. What does Stone learn about the Mannings during their time on the Canary Islands?
4. Stone calls Cantor and leaves a message for him to _____________________.
5. Stone learns that Allison has been talking to __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bob Cantor find out about Paul Manning's financial situation and why does Stone negate Bob's assertions that Paul may have killed himself?
2. Why is Sir Winston, the Minister of Justice, so interested in Allison's case?
3. Who is Jim Forrester and how does Stone meet him?
4. Who is Allison Manning and how does Stone come in contact with her?
5. What is Libby's fate when trying to leave the island and why does Stone not think Allison is behind the tragedy?
6. What deal does Stone strike with Libby on Allison's behalf?
7. How could Stone's media blitz backfire on him and be negative for Allison's trial?
8. Why does Stone use Paul Manning's medical report in the coroner's inquest?
9. Who is Libby Manning and what is her possible impact on Allison's trial?
10. What happens to the reporters who have come to the island to cover Allison's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suspicion takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Woods' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)