|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stone tells Jim Forrester that Allison will be ________________ if she is found guilty.
2. Who is the owner of the bar that Stone visits?
3. Who is the interim barrister defending Allison?
4. Stone and Jim wonder what would have happened to Allison if she had ____________________.
5. Which of the following is NOT an option the jury has in the woman's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request does Sir Leslie make of the court regarding Stone?
2. What does Stone learn about Libby from Allison and why is he concerned that she has shown up?
3. What is Libby's fate when trying to leave the island and why does Stone not think Allison is behind the tragedy?
4. What is Allison's story regarding her husband's death?
5. What does Stone learn about Paul Manning from his conversation with Bob Cantor?
6. Why is Allison's seduction of Stone a suspicious move?
7. Who is Libby Manning and what is her possible impact on Allison's trial?
8. What is Chris Wheaton's opinion of Allison and how does she intend to portray Allison in the broadcast segment?
9. What deal does Stone strike with Libby on Allison's behalf?
10. What two possibilities for a faked death exist as revealed by Bob Cantor and what is Stone's opinion of these?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Woods uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story, and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Woods use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)