Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an option the jury has in the woman's case?
2. Stone spends part of the night writing a letter to whom?
3. What was Stone's former profession?
4. What does Stone tell Allison is her best chance of surviving her situation?
5. Paul Manning survived financially on __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sir Leslie gives Stone from Allison, and what does he ask of Stone?
2. How does Stone manage the media and press conference for Allison?
3. Why is Sir Winston, the Minister of Justice, so interested in Allison's case?
4. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
5. Who is Jim Forrester and how does Stone meet him?
6. What does Bob Cantor uncover regarding the Mannings' activities prior to leaving the Canary Islands?
7. Describe Jim Forrester's testimony at the trial.
8. How is Sir Winston unsuccessful at undermining Stone with a surprise witness as the trial begins?
9. What is the message of the fax which Stone receives from Arrington?
10. What assertions is Stone able to make regarding Paul Manning's health as a possible cause of death and the reason why Stendahl would like to see Allison convicted?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Stone. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Stone, Arrington and Allison. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)