|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stone has Allison give him two blank pieces of paper with her signature and _________________.
2. Who is not mentioned in Paul's will?
3. Who was Paul Manning's first wife?
4. Who does Stone talk to after breakfast in Chapter 14?
5. Who is the pilot of the plane that will take Libby to Antigua?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Stone's finding the new rubber dinghy still intact on the yacht?
2. What two possibilities for a faked death exist as revealed by Bob Cantor and what is Stone's opinion of these?
3. Who is Thomas and what is he able to tell Stone about the yacht in the harbor and its passengers?
4. Who is Arrington Carter and what is her relationship with Stone?
5. What is so disconcerting about Jim Forrester's story?
6. Why is Allison unable to elude the police as she tries to escape from the island?
7. Why is Sir Winston, the Minister of Justice, so interested in Allison's case?
8. How could Stone's media blitz backfire on him and be negative for Allison's trial?
9. Who is Jim Forrester and how does Stone meet him?
10. What does Sir Winston insinuate about Allison's role in her husband's death at the coroner's inquest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Woods use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Woods uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story, and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "Dead in the Water"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)