|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hilary Kramer interview Allison?
2. What is Stone instructed to not put on in the courtroom?
3. Who is the pilot of the plane that will take Libby to Antigua?
4. What does Stone learn about the Mannings during their time on the Canary Islands?
5. On St. Marks, anyone convicted of a crime is often _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sir Winston, the Minister of Justice, so interested in Allison's case?
2. Describe Jim Forrester's testimony at the trial.
3. What does Stone learn from Sir Leslie about the drastic punishment inflicted on guilty parties in St. Marks?
4. What happens to the reporters who have come to the island to cover Allison's trial?
5. What is Stone's life like after the trial and what revelation does he make that now makes sense?
6. What is Stone's perception of Allison's private meeting with Sir Leslie?
7. Why does Stone use Paul Manning's medical report in the coroner's inquest?
8. What is so disconcerting about Jim Forrester's story?
9. Why does Allison have mixed feelings regarding Stone's payment to Libby?
10. According to Sir Leslie, what is Sir Winston willing to do in order to get the prime minister's position?
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Stone, Arrington and Allison. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
"Dead in the Water" is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How does Woods use the literary technique of local color in "Dead in the Water"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in St. Marks establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 1,623 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)