|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Paul Manning's first wife?
2. Allison tells Stone that Paul made monthly alimony payments to his first wife in the amount of _____________.
3. Who is representing Allison legally?
4. Who is the interim barrister defending Allison?
5. Who was the husband of the woman in #10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Arrington Carter and what is her relationship with Stone?
2. What happens to the reporters who have come to the island to cover Allison's trial?
3. Why is Allison's seduction of Stone a suspicious move?
4. Why does Stone use Paul Manning's medical report in the coroner's inquest?
5. Who is Stone Barrington?
6. Who is Libby Manning and what is her possible impact on Allison's trial?
7. What does Bob Cantor find out about Paul Manning's financial situation and why does Stone negate Bob's assertions that Paul may have killed himself?
8. Why does Jim Forrester want to be present when Allison gives an interview to the reporter from 60 Minutes?
9. What does Stone learn about Paul Manning from his conversation with Bob Cantor?
10. What does Stone learn about Libby from Allison and why is he concerned that she has shown up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Woods use the literary technique of local color in "Dead in the Water"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in St. Marks establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Stone, Arrington and Allison. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Allison. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)