|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stone spends part of the night writing a letter to whom?
2. Allison does not act like _____________________.
3. Why does Stone sneak off of Allison's yacht?
4. Who is the attorney who will represent Allison?
5. After the press conference, the media is invited to take photographs of ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jim Forrester and how does Stone meet him?
2. Who is Allison Manning and how does Stone come in contact with her?
3. Why does Allison have mixed feelings regarding Stone's payment to Libby?
4. What is the message of the fax which Stone receives from Arrington?
5. Who is Hilary Kramer and what is her role in the story?
6. What two possibilities for a faked death exist as revealed by Bob Cantor and what is Stone's opinion of these?
7. What does Bob Cantor uncover regarding the Mannings' activities prior to leaving the Canary Islands?
8. Why is Allison's seduction of Stone a suspicious move?
9. Why does Stone use Paul Manning's medical report in the coroner's inquest?
10. What request does Sir Leslie make of the court regarding Stone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Woods use the literary technique of local color in "Dead in the Water"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in St. Marks establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Suspicion takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "Dead in the Water"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)