|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about Paul's medical report?
2. What does Stone go to the yacht to look for?
3. Stone has dinner with Allison to tell her about _____________________.
4. Where did the woman in #10 say she and her husband stopped to make a few repairs on the yacht?
5. Allison refuses to leave the island without her briefcase and ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real reason the jury convicts Allison and what is her sentence?
2. What is Jim Forrester's reaction when Stone suggests that Stendahl might actually be Paul Manning?
3. Describe the events leading up to Allison's execution, and how the various characters react.
4. Who is Chris Wheaton and what is her role in the peripheral trial activities?
5. What is Chris Wheaton's opinion of Allison and how does she intend to portray Allison in the broadcast segment?
6. What happens to the reporters who have come to the island to cover Allison's trial?
7. What is so disconcerting about Jim Forrester's story?
8. What is Allison's story regarding her husband's death?
9. What is the message of the fax which Stone receives from Arrington?
10. Why is Allison's seduction of Stone a suspicious move?
Essay Topic 1
How does Woods use the literary technique of local color in "Dead in the Water"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in St. Marks establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Woods' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Stone, Arrington and Allison. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,677 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)