|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Leslie determine will be Stone's role in the trial?
2. What does Allison neglect to tell the person in #45?
3. Sir Winston says that Allison could have pushed her husband overboard while he was _________________.
4. Thomas gives Stone of list of ____________________.
5. Who is representing Allison legally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the investigator learn about Paul Manning which may indicate that he committed suicide?
2. What is significant about Stone's finding the new rubber dinghy still intact on the yacht?
3. What is Stone's life like after the trial and what revelation does he make that now makes sense?
4. What changes Stone's perspective on Allison's use of a spear gun to kill her husband?
5. What does Stone learn about Paul and Libby's divorce decree?
6. How does Stone insure that Allison has an alibi for her whereabouts when the Race pulls out of the harbor?
7. What is the significance of the spear gun and the missing spear that Stone comes across?
8. What deal does Stone strike with Libby on Allison's behalf?
9. Who is Frank Stendahl and how is his testimony damning for Allison?
10. Who is Thomas and what is he able to tell Stone about the yacht in the harbor and its passengers?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Jim Forrester. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "Dead in the Water"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Woods' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,677 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)