|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the judge make it impossible for Stone to do?
2. Stone spends part of the night writing a letter to whom?
3. Paul Manning had to replace the item in #75 by ordering one from which city?
4. Who is Stone's friend who had been making arrangements for another English barrister for Allison's trial?
5. What is delivered to Allison while she is at the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal does Stone strike with Libby on Allison's behalf?
2. Who is Stone Barrington?
3. Who is Chris Wheaton and what is her role in the peripheral trial activities?
4. What is so disconcerting about Jim Forrester's story?
5. How could Stone's media blitz backfire on him and be negative for Allison's trial?
6. Who is Thomas and what is he able to tell Stone about the yacht in the harbor and its passengers?
7. Who is Jim Forrester and how does Stone meet him?
8. What is the message of the fax which Stone receives from Arrington?
9. Why is Sir Winston, the Minister of Justice, so interested in Allison's case?
10. What does the investigator learn about Paul Manning which may indicate that he committed suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Woods is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Jim Forrester. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Libby Manning. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Libby Manning's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)