|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the reporter from 60 Minutes?
2. Allison refuses to leave the island without her briefcase and ____________________.
3. Allison tells Stone that Paul made monthly alimony payments to his first wife in the amount of _____________.
4. Who does Stone talk to after breakfast in Chapter 14?
5. What does Stone ask Thomas to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stone use Paul Manning's medical report in the coroner's inquest?
2. What is Stone's plan for putting some public pressure on Sir Winston regarding the case?
3. What deal does Stone strike with Libby on Allison's behalf?
4. What two possibilities for a faked death exist as revealed by Bob Cantor and what is Stone's opinion of these?
5. What is significant about Stone's finding the new rubber dinghy still intact on the yacht?
6. What is the message of the fax which Stone receives from Arrington?
7. Who is Thomas and what is he able to tell Stone about the yacht in the harbor and its passengers?
8. What does Bob Cantor uncover regarding the Mannings' activities prior to leaving the Canary Islands?
9. What does Sir Winston insinuate about Allison's role in her husband's death at the coroner's inquest?
10. How does Stone manage the media and press conference for Allison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Woods' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
"Dead in the Water" is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Stone. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)