|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stone's profession?
2. What happens as Allison is about to board the plane?
3. Who is the attorney who will represent Allison?
4. Stone calls Bill Eggers to have him hire _________________.
5. Stone tells Libby that Allison will pay her __________________ if she will sign a contract promising not to make any more claims against Paul's estate.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stone's plan for putting some public pressure on Sir Winston regarding the case?
2. What does Stone learn about Libby Manning's mother, and how does he help the woman personally?
3. How could Stone's media blitz backfire on him and be negative for Allison's trial?
4. Describe the events leading up to Allison's execution, and how the various characters react.
5. What does Sir Leslie gives Stone from Allison, and what does he ask of Stone?
6. Why does Jim Forrester want to be present when Allison gives an interview to the reporter from 60 Minutes?
7. Why is Sir Winston, the Minister of Justice, so interested in Allison's case?
8. What is so disconcerting about Jim Forrester's story?
9. Who is Frank Stendahl and how is his testimony damning for Allison?
10. What does Bob Cantor find out about Paul Manning's financial situation and why does Stone negate Bob's assertions that Paul may have killed himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Woods use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Stone. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Stone, Arrington and Allison. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,763 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)