|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stone learns that Allison has been talking to __________________.
2. Who dies in the plane crash?
3. Allison refuses to leave the island without her briefcase and ____________________.
4. What does Sir Leslie send Stone to get when Stone and Allison arrive for lunch?
5. Who is the Minister of Justice on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two possibilities for a faked death exist as revealed by Bob Cantor and what is Stone's opinion of these?
2. Who is Allison Manning and how does Stone come in contact with her?
3. What is Allison's story regarding her husband's death?
4. How does Stone manage the media and press conference for Allison?
5. What are the terms of Allison's bail, and what are consequences if she should violate it?
6. Who is Hilary Kramer and what is her role in the story?
7. What deal does Stone strike with Libby on Allison's behalf?
8. Why does Jim Forrester want to be present when Allison gives an interview to the reporter from 60 Minutes?
9. What request does Sir Leslie make of the court regarding Stone?
10. Who is Thomas and what is he able to tell Stone about the yacht in the harbor and its passengers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Woods is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "Dead in the Water"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)