|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sir Leslie makes his opening remarks, pointing out that ________________________.
(a) Allison had no motive to kill her husband.
(b) Paul Manning committed suicide.
(c) Allison was a devoted wife.
(d) there is no proof that Paul Manning is dead.
2. What does Stone notice is missing from the Expansive in Chapter 41?
(a) The rubber dinghy.
(b) A missing spear.
(c) The first aid kit.
(d) A case of champagne.
3. When Stone cross-examines the Constabulary, he establishes that the diary ____________________.
(a) was lying out on a bedside table.
(b) was securely locked in a drawer.
(c) actually belonged to Libby.
(d) was written in the third-person point of view.
4. Who is the lawyer who represents Libby and her mother?
(a) Harry Pearson.
(b) Harlan Sloan.
(c) Brock Garrison.
(d) Harley Potter.
5. The Constabulary also testifies that most fishing boats ___________________.
(a) are painted white.
(b) do not have satellite phones.
(c) are not built for speed.
(d) have a spear gun on board.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stone tell Libby's lawyer?
2. What does Sir Winston accuse Stone of?
3. What does Stone suggest regarding Stendahl?
4. What is the content of a fax which Stone receives from Arrington?
5. Why does Stone contact Bill Eggers again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What assertions is Stone able to make regarding Paul Manning's health as a possible cause of death and the reason why Stendahl would like to see Allison convicted?
2. What does Stone learn about Paul and Libby's divorce decree?
3. How are Stone and Allison at odds regarding Allison's obligations to Libby's family after Libby's death?
4. What does Stone learn about Libby Manning's mother, and how does he help the woman personally?
5. How is Sir Winston unsuccessful at undermining Stone with a surprise witness as the trial begins?
6. Describe Allison's demeanor during her testimony.
7. Who is the man who shows up at the Shipwright's Arms and what does Stone find notable about him?
8. Who is Frank Stendahl and how is his testimony damning for Allison?
9. How has Sir Leslie masterminded the trial and Allison's fake execution?
10. Why is Allison packing and what close call does Stone help her avoid?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)