|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elisha describe his state as when Ilana asks him if he is hot?
2. Elisha believes he lost the answer to #146 on his way to _______________.
3. ____________ tells Elisha that John Dawson doesn't know he will be executed in the morning.
4. Who has not eaten all day because he is upset about what is going to happen to John Dawson?
5. Elisha owes his life to a ______________, according to his story.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elisha tell John Dawson about the meaning of his name after John comments on it?
2. What does Ilana say when she talks about she also kills with her voice? Do they have a choice?
3. What is the question that Elisha asks of every ghost in the room with him, though he has a hard time getting an answer?
4. Why does John Dawson appear to pity Elisha instead of being mad at him?
5. What is ironic about the room in which John is being held as a prisoner?
6. Why does the room feel crowded to Elisha as the clock ticks past midnight in the chapter?
7. What does John Dawson request from Elisha after he begins to pace around the room?
8. Why is Elisha positive that John Dawson will not want anything to eat during his time being captured?
9. What does Elisha ask John Dawson about when he sees how slender his fingers and hands are?
10. Who are the people who are sitting around the table at the start of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elisha seems to be a simple character, someone who is going to kill someone else, even though it's not clear at first why he needs to do this.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha thinks it's okay for the prisoner to die?
Part 2: Why do you think Elisa believes killing in general is okay?
Part 3: Why didn't Elisha just refuse to kill the prisoner when he was told to do so?
Essay Topic 2
Facing the man he is to kill is not a simple task for Elisa, nor would many people consider it a simple task.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha wants to face the man he is told he will kill in the morning?
Part 2: Why do you think Dawson tries to talk with Elisha before he dies?
Part 3: Would you have been able to sit and talk with the man who you were about to kill? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The story of the beggar has stayed with Elisha throughout his life, causing him to be less than afraid of the dark.
Part 1: Why do you think the story of the beggar has stayed with Elisha throughout the years?
Part 2: Do you think the beggar could have been symbolic of something else in Elisha's life? If so, what?
Part 3: What made you not be afraid of the dark anymore? Did a certain person teach you not to be afraid?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)