|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first question that Dawson asks Elisha after they stare at each other?
2. Elisha's mother used to tell him there was a ____________ that would guide and protect him everywhere he goes.
3. When Elisha begs the boy for answers, what does the boy reply?
4. Who beats Elisha to bringing the food down to John Dawson?
5. Who takes Elisha's arm and tells him to talk to the boy who looks like the Elisha of before?
Essay Topic 1
The media begins to circulate reports about the escalating tension between the two groups and their respective prisoners.
Part 1: In what ways does the media help the situation which is taking place in the story? Or don't they?
Part 2: Why do you think people rely on the media to help them in hostage situations?
Part 3: Do you think the media's intentions are completely pure in these sorts of situations? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ilana and Gideon look upon Dawson with kindness and with compassion, which seems odd as they are agreeing to kill him.
Part 1: Why do you think Gideon and Ilana seem to harbor no ill will toward Dawson in the story?
Part 2: How would you react if you were in the same room as a person who was going to die?
Part 3: Why do you think the group has not told Dawson he is going to die until he does?
Essay Topic 3
According to all of the people who are guarding Dawson, they have cheated death in many a situation.
Part 1: Why do you think the author thought it was important for the characters to mention the fact that they had cheated death?
Part 2: Do you feel more or less sympathetic for these people as they speak about their brushes with death?
Part 3: Have you ever cheated death? How did that make you feel afterward? If not you, then someone else?
This section contains 1,738 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)