|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the torture methods used on Gideon during a time when he was arrested?
2. What does John Dawson think of Elisha's name and how it sounds?
3. Usually Elisha found the _________ of his rabbi, his old master to be reassuring, but not this time.
4. What is the name of the radio program that Ilana creates on a regular basis?
5. What are the positions of the people in the group of men that Gad has to select from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John Dawson do when Gideon tells him that he is going to die at dawn the next day?
2. What is strange about the boy that Elisha sees among the dead people who begin to surround him in the room?
3. Why does the room feel crowded to Elisha as the clock ticks past midnight in the chapter?
4. What did Ilana do to narrowly escape her own death, according to her recollection?
5. What happened to Stefan at the concentration camp where Elisha was held as well?
6. What does the Berlin Chief of the Gestapo do to Stefan in order to try to get information from him?
7. What does the beggar do to Elisha when Elisha begs for answers about the meaning of his words?
8. Who are some of the dead people that Elisha begins to see in the room around him?
9. What does the boy tell Elisha about all of the faces that Elisha sees around him in the room?
10. What is the question that Elisha asks of every ghost in the room with him, though he has a hard time getting an answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The presence of the Old Man is mysterious, though he controls all that happens in the story, it seems at times.
Part 1: Who do you think the Old Man is and just how powerful is he really in relation to the Movement?
Part 2: Why do you think the followers believe in what the Old Man says?
Part 3: Why do you think the followers go along with the ideas of the Old Man, even though they disagree?
Essay Topic 2
Facing the man he is to kill is not a simple task for Elisa, nor would many people consider it a simple task.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha wants to face the man he is told he will kill in the morning?
Part 2: Why do you think Dawson tries to talk with Elisha before he dies?
Part 3: Would you have been able to sit and talk with the man who you were about to kill? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While some people seem to have peaceful ideas of how to resolve the situation with the prisoners, others think otherwise.
Part 1: What is the value of trying to resolve the situation with the other side in a peaceful way?
Part 2: What is the benefit of resolving the situation in a violent way?
Part 3: What will change once violence has been done in the name of a Movement?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)