|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ilana call Elisha, though he asks her to stop calling him that?
2. Elisha (the man who was a prophet of #156) restored life to a ___________ by lying on him and breathing into his mouth.
3. What is John Dawson staring at when Elisha enters his room to meet him?
4. Elisha wants to impose the image of ____________ torturer on John Dawson, but he cannot.
5. "In a way, we are the ones to _________ John Dawson. Because you can't do it without us. Now, do you see?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How are things different when Elisha returns upstairs after the killing of John Dawson?
2. What does Elisha ask John Dawson about when he sees how slender his fingers and hands are?
3. What do each of the people around the table slowly talk about as they are sitting together?
4. What did Gideon do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
5. What did Joab do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
6. Why is Elisha positive that John Dawson will not want anything to eat during his time being captured?
7. What does Ilana say when she talks about she also kills with her voice? Do they have a choice?
8. What did Gad do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
9. What did Ilana do to narrowly escape her own death, according to her recollection?
10. What does Elisha tell John Dawson about the meaning of his name after John comments on it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dawson's mother makes a plea for her son's life, but it falls on seemingly deaf ears. Even the mother's cries for her child are not heard.
Part 1: Why do you think Dawson's mother pleads for the safe return of her child?
Part 2: Do you think Dawson's mother should have made a plea for the safe return of Dawson? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the use of the mother to call out for her child is a good move or a weak one? Why?
Essay Topic 2
According to all of the people who are guarding Dawson, they have cheated death in many a situation.
Part 1: Why do you think the author thought it was important for the characters to mention the fact that they had cheated death?
Part 2: Do you feel more or less sympathetic for these people as they speak about their brushes with death?
Part 3: Have you ever cheated death? How did that make you feel afterward? If not you, then someone else?
Essay Topic 3
The media begins to circulate reports about the escalating tension between the two groups and their respective prisoners.
Part 1: In what ways does the media help the situation which is taking place in the story? Or don't they?
Part 2: Why do you think people rely on the media to help them in hostage situations?
Part 3: Do you think the media's intentions are completely pure in these sorts of situations? Why or why not?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)