|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elisha's master's eyes are like two globes of _________, two suns that burn his face.
2. What does John Dawson think of Elisha's name and how it sounds?
3. The woman in the work camp likes making love to ____________ who are about to die.
4. What is the name of the radio program that Ilana creates on a regular basis?
5. The boy who asks for his father to be healed does not get his wish, but he is turned into _______________ and carried up to heaven.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Elisha do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
2. What does Elisha ask John Dawson about when he sees how slender his fingers and hands are?
3. What does the beggar do to Elisha when Elisha begs for answers about the meaning of his words?
4. What did Gad do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
5. What happened to Stefan at the concentration camp where Elisha was held as well?
6. What does Elisha tell John Dawson about the meaning of his name after John comments on it?
7. Who are the people who are sitting around the table at the start of this chapter?
8. What does Elisha begin to understand about the idea of killing others as he talks with the younger version of himself?
9. What does the Berlin Chief of the Gestapo do to Stefan in order to try to get information from him?
10. Why does the room feel crowded to Elisha as the clock ticks past midnight in the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The media begins to circulate reports about the escalating tension between the two groups and their respective prisoners.
Part 1: In what ways does the media help the situation which is taking place in the story? Or don't they?
Part 2: Why do you think people rely on the media to help them in hostage situations?
Part 3: Do you think the media's intentions are completely pure in these sorts of situations? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Elisha seems to be a simple character, someone who is going to kill someone else, even though it's not clear at first why he needs to do this.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha thinks it's okay for the prisoner to die?
Part 2: Why do you think Elisa believes killing in general is okay?
Part 3: Why didn't Elisha just refuse to kill the prisoner when he was told to do so?
Essay Topic 3
The presence of the Old Man is mysterious, though he controls all that happens in the story, it seems at times.
Part 1: Who do you think the Old Man is and just how powerful is he really in relation to the Movement?
Part 2: Why do you think the followers believe in what the Old Man says?
Part 3: Why do you think the followers go along with the ideas of the Old Man, even though they disagree?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)