|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gideon report back about the state of health of John Dawson?
2. Gideon talks about taking something to _______________ to John Dawson.
3. The boy tells Elisha that the ________ are hungry as Elisha considers taking food to Dawson.
4. What does John Dawson want to do as he is waiting for his execution?
5. What is John Dawson staring at when Elisha enters his room to meet him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gideon reveal to Elisha about John Dawson, which surprises Elisha?
2. What does John refuse to do when Elisha is preparing to kill him?
3. What does Elisha tell John Dawson about the meaning of his name after John comments on it?
4. What does Elisha begin to understand about the idea of killing others as he talks with the younger version of himself?
5. What did Joab do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
6. Who are some of the dead people that Elisha begins to see in the room around him?
7. What is the question that Elisha asks of every ghost in the room with him, though he has a hard time getting an answer?
8. How are things different when Elisha returns upstairs after the killing of John Dawson?
9. What does the boy tell Elisha about all of the faces that Elisha sees around him in the room?
10. What does John Dawson reveal about his appetite on the last night before his execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The presence of the Old Man is mysterious, though he controls all that happens in the story, it seems at times.
Part 1: Who do you think the Old Man is and just how powerful is he really in relation to the Movement?
Part 2: Why do you think the followers believe in what the Old Man says?
Part 3: Why do you think the followers go along with the ideas of the Old Man, even though they disagree?
Essay Topic 2
While some people seem to have peaceful ideas of how to resolve the situation with the prisoners, others think otherwise.
Part 1: What is the value of trying to resolve the situation with the other side in a peaceful way?
Part 2: What is the benefit of resolving the situation in a violent way?
Part 3: What will change once violence has been done in the name of a Movement?
Essay Topic 3
The story of the beggar has stayed with Elisha throughout his life, causing him to be less than afraid of the dark.
Part 1: Why do you think the story of the beggar has stayed with Elisha throughout the years?
Part 2: Do you think the beggar could have been symbolic of something else in Elisha's life? If so, what?
Part 3: What made you not be afraid of the dark anymore? Did a certain person teach you not to be afraid?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)