|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John Dawson's son, who is Elisha's age, go to school, according to John?
2. The boy tells Elisha the people are here to witness Elisha become a __________ at dawn tomorrow.
3. Elisha's mother used to tell him there was a ____________ that would guide and protect him everywhere he goes.
4. Elisha was named for a man who was a prophet of ____________, as he explains.
5. What does Gideon report back about the state of health of John Dawson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question that Elisha asks of every ghost in the room with him, though he has a hard time getting an answer?
2. What does the boy tell Elisha about all of the faces that Elisha sees around him in the room?
3. What did Gad do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
4. What does Elisha tell John Dawson about the meaning of his name after John comments on it?
5. What does John Dawson do when Gideon tells him that he is going to die at dawn the next day?
6. Who are some of the dead people that Elisha begins to see in the room around him?
7. What does John Dawson request from Elisha after he begins to pace around the room?
8. What does Ilana say when she talks about she also kills with her voice? Do they have a choice?
9. What does Gideon reveal to Elisha about John Dawson, which surprises Elisha?
10. Why does the room feel crowded to Elisha as the clock ticks past midnight in the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The causes for which people fight compel them to act in dramatic ways. However, in modern culture, it can be hard to understand their motivation.
Part 1: Why do you think so many people fight for the Movement in this story?
Part 2: What causes do you think are worth fighting for? Why?
Part 3: Are there any causes you should see yourself getting violent for? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dawson's mother makes a plea for her son's life, but it falls on seemingly deaf ears. Even the mother's cries for her child are not heard.
Part 1: Why do you think Dawson's mother pleads for the safe return of her child?
Part 2: Do you think Dawson's mother should have made a plea for the safe return of Dawson? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the use of the mother to call out for her child is a good move or a weak one? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The cries of the child echo throughout the city, giving Elisha something to think about.
Part 1: What might the cries of the child signify to Elisha and to the story as a whole?
Part 2: In what ways is Elisha still a child in this story? Why?
Part 3: Do you think the cries of the child would change your mind if you were in Elisha's shoes? Why or why not?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)