|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ilana understands why Elisha doesn't want to see John Dawson - he is ________.
2. Who is NOT one of the people sitting around the table, thinking about David ben Moshe?
3. Elisha comments that Dawson's hands are the hands of a _______________.
4. When it is time, Elisha sees a __________ giving absolution to David.
5. Elisha remembers a story where the nights sometimes allow the sky to open up so that the ____________ of unhappy children can be heard.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question that Elisha asks of every ghost in the room with him, though he has a hard time getting an answer?
2. What does Gideon reveal to Elisha about John Dawson, which surprises Elisha?
3. What does Ilana say when she talks about she also kills with her voice? Do they have a choice?
4. What did Gideon do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
5. What does Elisha tell John Dawson about the meaning of his name after John comments on it?
6. What does the boy tell Elisha about all of the faces that Elisha sees around him in the room?
7. Why does the room feel crowded to Elisha as the clock ticks past midnight in the chapter?
8. What does Elisha ask John Dawson about when he sees how slender his fingers and hands are?
9. What does John Dawson do when Gideon tells him that he is going to die at dawn the next day?
10. What do each of the people around the table slowly talk about as they are sitting together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elisha's main goal in life was to figure out why he was victimized by others, heading to Sorbonne to study philosophy in order to answer these sorts of questions.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha thought he would find peace in the study of philosophy?
Part 2: What subjects might you try to study if you were attempting to get past a horrible event in your lifetime? Why?
Part 3: Do you think Elisha could have gotten away from his ghosts had he simply studied at Sorbonne? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gad is seen as someone who changes Elisha's life, but an outsider might also see his actions as attempting to brainwash the boy.
Part 1: How is Gad like a messenger in Elisha's life? How does he speak to Elisha in a way that reaches him?
Part 2: In what ways is Gad brainwashing the boy? Do you think this is being done on purpose?
Part 3: Do you think Gad is brainwashed by his own ideas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
According to all of the people who are guarding Dawson, they have cheated death in many a situation.
Part 1: Why do you think the author thought it was important for the characters to mention the fact that they had cheated death?
Part 2: Do you feel more or less sympathetic for these people as they speak about their brushes with death?
Part 3: Have you ever cheated death? How did that make you feel afterward? If not you, then someone else?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)