|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elisha remembers a story where the nights sometimes allow the sky to open up so that the ____________ of unhappy children can be heard.
2. Who is no longer yawning when Elisha goes upstairs after the execution?
3. Elisha wants to ____________ Dawson, otherwise he's killing a man for no reason at all.
4. The ghosts are leaving the cell, taking ____________ with them.
5. Elisha wants to impose the image of ____________ torturer on John Dawson, but he cannot.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Berlin Chief of the Gestapo do to Stefan in order to try to get information from him?
2. What did Ilana do to narrowly escape her own death, according to her recollection?
3. What is the first question John Dawson asks after Elisha and John stare at each other for a while?
4. Who are the people who are sitting around the table at the start of this chapter?
5. What does the boy tell Elisha about all of the faces that Elisha sees around him in the room?
6. Who are some of the dead people that Elisha begins to see in the room around him?
7. What does John Dawson reveal about his appetite on the last night before his execution?
8. What do each of the people around the table slowly talk about as they are sitting together?
9. Why does the room feel crowded to Elisha as the clock ticks past midnight in the chapter?
10. What is strange about the boy that Elisha sees among the dead people who begin to surround him in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of the beggar has stayed with Elisha throughout his life, causing him to be less than afraid of the dark.
Part 1: Why do you think the story of the beggar has stayed with Elisha throughout the years?
Part 2: Do you think the beggar could have been symbolic of something else in Elisha's life? If so, what?
Part 3: What made you not be afraid of the dark anymore? Did a certain person teach you not to be afraid?
Essay Topic 2
The cries of the child echo throughout the city, giving Elisha something to think about.
Part 1: What might the cries of the child signify to Elisha and to the story as a whole?
Part 2: In what ways is Elisha still a child in this story? Why?
Part 3: Do you think the cries of the child would change your mind if you were in Elisha's shoes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Facing the man he is to kill is not a simple task for Elisa, nor would many people consider it a simple task.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha wants to face the man he is told he will kill in the morning?
Part 2: Why do you think Dawson tries to talk with Elisha before he dies?
Part 3: Would you have been able to sit and talk with the man who you were about to kill? Why or why not?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)