|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____________ is praying for the repose of the dead when Elisha comes upstairs.
2. Due to a ventilation system, Dawson's room is actually much less ___________ than the room above.
3. Those in the Movement have a _________, and if they deny this, then they cede victory to their enemy.
4. What does the beggar tell Elisha as Elisha walks around asking questions of everyone?
5. What does his mother murmur to him when Elisha is standing in the room, asking questions of the people surrounding him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ilana say when she talks about she also kills with her voice? Do they have a choice?
2. What does the boy tell Elisha about all of the faces that Elisha sees around him in the room?
3. What does John Dawson request from Elisha after he begins to pace around the room?
4. What does Elisha tell John Dawson about the meaning of his name after John comments on it?
5. What does Elisha ask John Dawson about when he sees how slender his fingers and hands are?
6. What did Gideon do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
7. What does John refuse to do when Elisha is preparing to kill him?
8. What happened to Stefan at the concentration camp where Elisha was held as well?
9. Why is Elisha positive that John Dawson will not want anything to eat during his time being captured?
10. What is the first question John Dawson asks after Elisha and John stare at each other for a while?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dawson's mother makes a plea for her son's life, but it falls on seemingly deaf ears. Even the mother's cries for her child are not heard.
Part 1: Why do you think Dawson's mother pleads for the safe return of her child?
Part 2: Do you think Dawson's mother should have made a plea for the safe return of Dawson? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the use of the mother to call out for her child is a good move or a weak one? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Pride seems to be a large part of the decisions which are being made in this story. People do things because they think they should, not because they want to do them necessarily.
Part 1: Why do you think the movements believe that they have to act a certain way?
Part 2: What do you think might happen if a side did back down? How would this be a bad thing for them?
Part 3: Do you think pride is a major cause of world struggles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The symbolism of 'dawn' is everywhere in this story - with dawn being when the prisoner is killed and when Elisa becomes pensive.
Part 1: Why do you think 'dawn' was selected as the focus of the title?
Part 2: Do you think 'dawn' is a good symbol to use in this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: Is dawn an important time in your life? Why or why not?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)