|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gad laughs at the response of John Dawson, saying that it's typical English to have a ______________.
2. Gideon is finally freed from his torture and imprisonment due to ______________.
3. When Elisha begs the boy for answers, what does the boy reply?
4. What is the question Dawson then asks, surprising Elisha in the process?
5. Elisha's master's eyes are like two globes of _________, two suns that burn his face.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gideon do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
2. What does the beggar do to Elisha when Elisha begs for answers about the meaning of his words?
3. What does the boy tell Elisha about all of the faces that Elisha sees around him in the room?
4. What is the question that Elisha asks of every ghost in the room with him, though he has a hard time getting an answer?
5. What does the Berlin Chief of the Gestapo do to Stefan in order to try to get information from him?
6. What did Elisha do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
7. Who are some of the dead people that Elisha begins to see in the room around him?
8. Why does the room feel crowded to Elisha as the clock ticks past midnight in the chapter?
9. What is the macabre reasoning for Catherine's desire to make love to Elisha at the youth camp in Normandy?
10. What is strange about the boy that Elisha sees among the dead people who begin to surround him in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dawson's mother makes a plea for her son's life, but it falls on seemingly deaf ears. Even the mother's cries for her child are not heard.
Part 1: Why do you think Dawson's mother pleads for the safe return of her child?
Part 2: Do you think Dawson's mother should have made a plea for the safe return of Dawson? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the use of the mother to call out for her child is a good move or a weak one? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Pride seems to be a large part of the decisions which are being made in this story. People do things because they think they should, not because they want to do them necessarily.
Part 1: Why do you think the movements believe that they have to act a certain way?
Part 2: What do you think might happen if a side did back down? How would this be a bad thing for them?
Part 3: Do you think pride is a major cause of world struggles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The media begins to circulate reports about the escalating tension between the two groups and their respective prisoners.
Part 1: In what ways does the media help the situation which is taking place in the story? Or don't they?
Part 2: Why do you think people rely on the media to help them in hostage situations?
Part 3: Do you think the media's intentions are completely pure in these sorts of situations? Why or why not?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)