|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elisha see filing into the room, making the room feel very crowded?
2. Who urges Elisha to go take the food down to John Dawson?
3. Ilana is saved from being killed by a member of the opposition by a situation with ____________.
4. What is NOT one of the things Joab does during his 48-hour interrogation session?
5. What do the English not have of Ilana, which has made it difficult for anyone to identify her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John Dawson request from Elisha after he begins to pace around the room?
2. What did Joab do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
3. What does Ilana say when she talks about she also kills with her voice? Do they have a choice?
4. What is ironic about the room in which John is being held as a prisoner?
5. What does John Dawson reveal about his appetite on the last night before his execution?
6. Why does John Dawson appear to pity Elisha instead of being mad at him?
7. What happened to Stefan at the concentration camp where Elisha was held as well?
8. What did Ilana do to narrowly escape her own death, according to her recollection?
9. What does Elisha tell John Dawson about the meaning of his name after John comments on it?
10. What is the question that Elisha asks of every ghost in the room with him, though he has a hard time getting an answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The causes for which people fight compel them to act in dramatic ways. However, in modern culture, it can be hard to understand their motivation.
Part 1: Why do you think so many people fight for the Movement in this story?
Part 2: What causes do you think are worth fighting for? Why?
Part 3: Are there any causes you should see yourself getting violent for? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The media begins to circulate reports about the escalating tension between the two groups and their respective prisoners.
Part 1: In what ways does the media help the situation which is taking place in the story? Or don't they?
Part 2: Why do you think people rely on the media to help them in hostage situations?
Part 3: Do you think the media's intentions are completely pure in these sorts of situations? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Elisha's main goal in life was to figure out why he was victimized by others, heading to Sorbonne to study philosophy in order to answer these sorts of questions.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha thought he would find peace in the study of philosophy?
Part 2: What subjects might you try to study if you were attempting to get past a horrible event in your lifetime? Why?
Part 3: Do you think Elisha could have gotten away from his ghosts had he simply studied at Sorbonne? Why or why not?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)