|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gad owes his life to three ____________ who were supposed to be killed in a specific way as directed by the Old Man.
2. Who is the women in her mid-twenties that Elisha met while at the work camp in France?
3. The boy finally tells Elisha that the dead are not there to ________, but because they go wherever he goes.
4. Elisha remembers a story where the nights sometimes allow the sky to open up so that the ____________ of unhappy children can be heard.
5. Gideon doesn't say a thing during his torture because he feels as if God is ____________ him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question that Elisha asks of every ghost in the room with him, though he has a hard time getting an answer?
2. How are things different when Elisha returns upstairs after the killing of John Dawson?
3. What happened to Stefan at the concentration camp where Elisha was held as well?
4. What did Ilana do to narrowly escape her own death, according to her recollection?
5. What does the beggar do to Elisha when Elisha begs for answers about the meaning of his words?
6. What is the first question John Dawson asks after Elisha and John stare at each other for a while?
7. What does the boy tell Elisha about all of the faces that Elisha sees around him in the room?
8. What did Elisha do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
9. Why does John Dawson appear to pity Elisha instead of being mad at him?
10. What is strange about the boy that Elisha sees among the dead people who begin to surround him in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The presence of the Old Man is mysterious, though he controls all that happens in the story, it seems at times.
Part 1: Who do you think the Old Man is and just how powerful is he really in relation to the Movement?
Part 2: Why do you think the followers believe in what the Old Man says?
Part 3: Why do you think the followers go along with the ideas of the Old Man, even though they disagree?
Essay Topic 2
Gad is seen as someone who changes Elisha's life, but an outsider might also see his actions as attempting to brainwash the boy.
Part 1: How is Gad like a messenger in Elisha's life? How does he speak to Elisha in a way that reaches him?
Part 2: In what ways is Gad brainwashing the boy? Do you think this is being done on purpose?
Part 3: Do you think Gad is brainwashed by his own ideas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Even in the face of pain and suffering, people in the Movement do not die - at least among the group of five.
Part 1: How do you think the five feel about their brushes with death?
Part 2: What do you think the Movement thinks about all of these brushes with death?
Part 3: Do you think these five have just been lucky or has divine intervention played a part?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)