|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound finally disappears from the outside, according to the book?
2. Elisha also wants to find out what makes a man most truly a _________ in this world.
3. At the end of his first raid, Elisha feels __________ as he finds himself in the same position as the SS guards.
4. What is NOT one of the ways mentioned that might be considered 'any means necessary' in the goal of the Movement?
5. Elisha believes it is necessary to kill in order to change his people's ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How can one tell the different between night and day time, according to the beggar in Elisha's memory?
2. What was the decision of the Old Man that Gad relayed to Elisha an hour earlier in the first chapter?
3. What happens to Elisha after he spends a month in a youth camp in Normandy, France?
4. How does Elisha rationalize the killing of others in the name of the Movement, even though scripture condemns it?
5. What are some of the operations that Elisha has taken part in since his arrival in Palestine?
6. What happens when Gad offers Elisha a future when he visits with him one fateful day?
7. What do several masked instructors teach to the new recruits when they arrive in Palestine?
8. What was the goal of the first rad that Elisha went on as a part of the Movement?
9. What is the subject that Elisha wants to study when he is enrolled at Sorbonne in Paris?
10. What is the eleventh commandment that is taught to the recruits by a masked man with a soft voice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The media begins to circulate reports about the escalating tension between the two groups and their respective prisoners.
Part 1: In what ways does the media help the situation which is taking place in the story? Or don't they?
Part 2: Why do you think people rely on the media to help them in hostage situations?
Part 3: Do you think the media's intentions are completely pure in these sorts of situations? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
According to all of the people who are guarding Dawson, they have cheated death in many a situation.
Part 1: Why do you think the author thought it was important for the characters to mention the fact that they had cheated death?
Part 2: Do you feel more or less sympathetic for these people as they speak about their brushes with death?
Part 3: Have you ever cheated death? How did that make you feel afterward? If not you, then someone else?
Essay Topic 3
Elisha's main goal in life was to figure out why he was victimized by others, heading to Sorbonne to study philosophy in order to answer these sorts of questions.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha thought he would find peace in the study of philosophy?
Part 2: What subjects might you try to study if you were attempting to get past a horrible event in your lifetime? Why?
Part 3: Do you think Elisha could have gotten away from his ghosts had he simply studied at Sorbonne? Why or why not?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)