|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The house is a convenient choice as the comings and goings of ___________ seems to be reasonable activity.
2. _____________ movements in Europe protest in front of British embassies.
3. What is the eleventh commandment that is taught to the new recruits when they are training?
4. How old is Elisha when the story begins?
5. The beggar tells Elisha not to be afraid of the dark. Night is ____________ than day.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ilana say about the two deaths of the two men who are to be executed?
2. What do several masked instructors teach to the new recruits when they arrive in Palestine?
3. How did Elisha, the main character, come to be in France after the events of WWII?
4. What is the subject that Elisha wants to study when he is enrolled at Sorbonne in Paris?
5. How is David ben Moshe treated around the world during the time of conflict after his capture?
6. What is the lesson that the beggar taught Elisha when he was walking through the dark?
7. How can one tell the different between night and day time, according to the beggar in Elisha's memory?
8. What happens when Gad offers Elisha a future when he visits with him one fateful day?
9. What was the decision of the Old Man that Gad relayed to Elisha an hour earlier in the first chapter?
10. What has Elisha seen every night since hearing the advice of the beggar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While some people seem to have peaceful ideas of how to resolve the situation with the prisoners, others think otherwise.
Part 1: What is the value of trying to resolve the situation with the other side in a peaceful way?
Part 2: What is the benefit of resolving the situation in a violent way?
Part 3: What will change once violence has been done in the name of a Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Dawson's mother makes a plea for her son's life, but it falls on seemingly deaf ears. Even the mother's cries for her child are not heard.
Part 1: Why do you think Dawson's mother pleads for the safe return of her child?
Part 2: Do you think Dawson's mother should have made a plea for the safe return of Dawson? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the use of the mother to call out for her child is a good move or a weak one? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Elisha seems to be a simple character, someone who is going to kill someone else, even though it's not clear at first why he needs to do this.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha thinks it's okay for the prisoner to die?
Part 2: Why do you think Elisa believes killing in general is okay?
Part 3: Why didn't Elisha just refuse to kill the prisoner when he was told to do so?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)