|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the commandment that the Jews have tried to live by, though they have suffered in the process?
2. Where is the crying coming from as Elisha is standing at the window of the building?
3. Elisha is usually uneasy about beggars who inspire in him mingled feelings of _________ and fear.
4. The leaders of England feel that a pardon will be interpreted as a sign of ____________ and that it will encourage other young idealists.
5. Elisha's previous idea about killing others included: If you kill, then you're taking on the function of _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the English army do in response to the kidnapping of Captain John Dawson?
2. What happens when Gad offers Elisha a future when he visits with him one fateful day?
3. What is the lesson that the beggar taught Elisha when he was walking through the dark?
4. How did Elisha, the main character, come to be in France after the events of WWII?
5. What does Ilana say about the two deaths of the two men who are to be executed?
6. What is the subject that Elisha wants to study when he is enrolled at Sorbonne in Paris?
7. Why didn't Elisha want to return to his native town where his family used to live?
8. How does Elisha rationalize the killing of others in the name of the Movement, even though scripture condemns it?
9. What does Elisha know about the man who is residing in the hiding place where Elisha is?
10. What is the face the Elisha sees the evening that takes place in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The causes for which people fight compel them to act in dramatic ways. However, in modern culture, it can be hard to understand their motivation.
Part 1: Why do you think so many people fight for the Movement in this story?
Part 2: What causes do you think are worth fighting for? Why?
Part 3: Are there any causes you should see yourself getting violent for? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ilana has a radio broadcast that talks about the idea that certain deaths are meaningful and others are not.
Part 1: Why do you think some deaths are more meaningful than others?
Part 2: Why do you think Ilana condemns the British government for the death of John Dawson?
Part 3: Isn't Ilana's logic incorrect? Why does she praise a death that the Movement does not necessarily want to occur?
Essay Topic 3
The story of the beggar has stayed with Elisha throughout his life, causing him to be less than afraid of the dark.
Part 1: Why do you think the story of the beggar has stayed with Elisha throughout the years?
Part 2: Do you think the beggar could have been symbolic of something else in Elisha's life? If so, what?
Part 3: What made you not be afraid of the dark anymore? Did a certain person teach you not to be afraid?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)