|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Jews now go out and _______, just like everyone else, to assert their rights to live as men.
2. At the end of his first raid, Elisha feels __________ as he finds himself in the same position as the SS guards.
3. Elisha is now hearing about Jews, not as ___________, but as fighters who are simply claiming what is theirs.
4. What is the dialogue that leads Elisha to believe Gad is a powerful person? E: Who are you? G: I am a __________________.
5. Whose face does Elisha see as he is staring out the window during this particular night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ilana say to John Dawson's mother during her radio program?
2. What will happen to David ben Moshe as a result of his capture by the English?
3. What is strange about the boy that Elisha sees among the dead people who begin to surround him in the room?
4. What makes Elisha feel uneasy about Gad when Gad first enters his life at his furnished flat?
5. What do several masked instructors teach to the new recruits when they arrive in Palestine?
6. What is the eleventh commandment that is taught to the recruits by a masked man with a soft voice?
7. What does Elisha ask John Dawson about when he sees how slender his fingers and hands are?
8. What is the cellar of the two story building somewhere between Ramat-Gan and Tel Aviv used for?
9. What does the boy tell Elisha about all of the faces that Elisha sees around him in the room?
10. What does John Dawson reveal about his appetite on the last night before his execution?
Essay Topic 1
Facing the man he is to kill is not a simple task for Elisa, nor would many people consider it a simple task.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha wants to face the man he is told he will kill in the morning?
Part 2: Why do you think Dawson tries to talk with Elisha before he dies?
Part 3: Would you have been able to sit and talk with the man who you were about to kill? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dawson's mother makes a plea for her son's life, but it falls on seemingly deaf ears. Even the mother's cries for her child are not heard.
Part 1: Why do you think Dawson's mother pleads for the safe return of her child?
Part 2: Do you think Dawson's mother should have made a plea for the safe return of Dawson? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the use of the mother to call out for her child is a good move or a weak one? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Elisha seems to be a simple character, someone who is going to kill someone else, even though it's not clear at first why he needs to do this.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha thinks it's okay for the prisoner to die?
Part 2: Why do you think Elisa believes killing in general is okay?
Part 3: Why didn't Elisha just refuse to kill the prisoner when he was told to do so?
This section contains 2,109 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)