Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Every evening, Elisha stands near a window in order to greet the arrival of ___________.
2. What kind of job is taking place when David ben Moshe is wounded and captured by the English?
3. Where is the crying coming from as Elisha is standing at the window of the building?
4. Elisha's goal is to enroll in a ___________ course at the Sorbonne school.
5. To Elisha, ______________ was more of a sacred ideal than an actual place or a political slogan to them.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Stefan at the concentration camp where Elisha was held as well?
2. What is the lesson of the grizzled master that Elisha remembers when he learns about the idea of killing others?
3. What has Elisha seen every night since hearing the advice of the beggar?
4. What did Elisha do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
5. Why does John Dawson appear to pity Elisha instead of being mad at him?
6. What did Ilana do to narrowly escape her own death, according to her recollection?
7. What does John Dawson do when Gideon tells him that he is going to die at dawn the next day?
8. What is the lesson that the beggar taught Elisha when he was walking through the dark?
9. What is the cellar of the two story building somewhere between Ramat-Gan and Tel Aviv used for?
10. What does Ilana say about the two deaths of the two men who are to be executed?
Essay Topic 1
The media begins to circulate reports about the escalating tension between the two groups and their respective prisoners.
Part 1: In what ways does the media help the situation which is taking place in the story? Or don't they?
Part 2: Why do you think people rely on the media to help them in hostage situations?
Part 3: Do you think the media's intentions are completely pure in these sorts of situations? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ilana and Gideon look upon Dawson with kindness and with compassion, which seems odd as they are agreeing to kill him.
Part 1: Why do you think Gideon and Ilana seem to harbor no ill will toward Dawson in the story?
Part 2: How would you react if you were in the same room as a person who was going to die?
Part 3: Why do you think the group has not told Dawson he is going to die until he does?
Essay Topic 3
The causes for which people fight compel them to act in dramatic ways. However, in modern culture, it can be hard to understand their motivation.
Part 1: Why do you think so many people fight for the Movement in this story?
Part 2: What causes do you think are worth fighting for? Why?
Part 3: Are there any causes you should see yourself getting violent for? Why or why not?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)