|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the eleventh commandment that is taught to the new recruits when they are training?
2. If one sees a __________, then night has succeed the day, for night has a face.
3. What is NOT one of the ways mentioned that might be considered 'any means necessary' in the goal of the Movement?
4. What does Elisha have to do the following day that is making him pensive during this evening?
5. The radio announcer says that the _____________ is responsible for the death of David ben Moshe.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the English army do in response to the kidnapping of Captain John Dawson?
2. How have the fighters of the Movement been attacking the English by surprise?
3. What do several masked instructors teach to the new recruits when they arrive in Palestine?
4. Describe the city setting at the start of the story when Elisha is standing near a window.
5. What happens when Gad offers Elisha a future when he visits with him one fateful day?
6. What was the decision of the Old Man that Gad relayed to Elisha an hour earlier in the first chapter?
7. What will happen to David ben Moshe as a result of his capture by the English?
8. How is David ben Moshe treated around the world during the time of conflict after his capture?
9. What is the eleventh commandment that is taught to the recruits by a masked man with a soft voice?
10. What is the cellar of the two story building somewhere between Ramat-Gan and Tel Aviv used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While some people seem to have peaceful ideas of how to resolve the situation with the prisoners, others think otherwise.
Part 1: What is the value of trying to resolve the situation with the other side in a peaceful way?
Part 2: What is the benefit of resolving the situation in a violent way?
Part 3: What will change once violence has been done in the name of a Movement?
Essay Topic 2
The presence of the Old Man is mysterious, though he controls all that happens in the story, it seems at times.
Part 1: Who do you think the Old Man is and just how powerful is he really in relation to the Movement?
Part 2: Why do you think the followers believe in what the Old Man says?
Part 3: Why do you think the followers go along with the ideas of the Old Man, even though they disagree?
Essay Topic 3
According to all of the people who are guarding Dawson, they have cheated death in many a situation.
Part 1: Why do you think the author thought it was important for the characters to mention the fact that they had cheated death?
Part 2: Do you feel more or less sympathetic for these people as they speak about their brushes with death?
Part 3: Have you ever cheated death? How did that make you feel afterward? If not you, then someone else?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)