|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____________ movements in Europe protest in front of British embassies.
2. In London, Dawson's mother requests _____________ for David ben Moshe in order to save her own son.
3. David ben Moshe's death sentence is the __________ death sentence the mandatory power in Palestine has imposed on the people of the Movement.
4. What is the dialogue that leads Elisha to believe Gad is a powerful person? E: Who are you? G: I am a __________________.
5. What is a Meshulah, or the person that Elisha sees Gad during his time with Elisha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Elisha after he spends a month in a youth camp in Normandy, France?
2. What is the subject that Elisha wants to study when he is enrolled at Sorbonne in Paris?
3. What does Ilana say to John Dawson's mother during her radio program?
4. How can one tell the different between night and day time, according to the beggar in Elisha's memory?
5. What are some of the basic ideas of the Movement's ideology as taught to recruits by Gad?
6. How did Elisha, the main character, come to be in France after the events of WWII?
7. What does Elisha know about the man who is residing in the hiding place where Elisha is?
8. How does Elisha rationalize the killing of others in the name of the Movement, even though scripture condemns it?
9. What are some of the operations that Elisha has taken part in since his arrival in Palestine?
10. What does Elisha envy in the Old Man, regardless of what he instructs them to do for the cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cries of the child echo throughout the city, giving Elisha something to think about.
Part 1: What might the cries of the child signify to Elisha and to the story as a whole?
Part 2: In what ways is Elisha still a child in this story? Why?
Part 3: Do you think the cries of the child would change your mind if you were in Elisha's shoes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dawson's mother makes a plea for her son's life, but it falls on seemingly deaf ears. Even the mother's cries for her child are not heard.
Part 1: Why do you think Dawson's mother pleads for the safe return of her child?
Part 2: Do you think Dawson's mother should have made a plea for the safe return of Dawson? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the use of the mother to call out for her child is a good move or a weak one? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Facing the man he is to kill is not a simple task for Elisa, nor would many people consider it a simple task.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha wants to face the man he is told he will kill in the morning?
Part 2: Why do you think Dawson tries to talk with Elisha before he dies?
Part 3: Would you have been able to sit and talk with the man who you were about to kill? Why or why not?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)