|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All around the world, _____________ is treated as a hero for the situation he is in.
2. The woman of #52 talks about David ben Moshe's death as being ___________.
3. For six weeks, recruits are taught by ____________ instructors on how to use various kinds of weapons.
4. Elisha also wants to find out what makes a man most truly a _________ in this world.
5. Where is the crying coming from as Elisha is standing at the window of the building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ilana say to John Dawson's mother during her radio program?
2. Why does Gad want Elisha to join the Movement of Jews who are fighting against the English?
3. What do several masked instructors teach to the new recruits when they arrive in Palestine?
4. What is the lesson of the grizzled master that Elisha remembers when he learns about the idea of killing others?
5. What does Elisha envy in the Old Man, regardless of what he instructs them to do for the cause?
6. Describe the city setting at the start of the story when Elisha is standing near a window.
7. How did Elisha, the main character, come to be in France after the events of WWII?
8. What makes Elisha feel uneasy about Gad when Gad first enters his life at his furnished flat?
9. What happens when Gad offers Elisha a future when he visits with him one fateful day?
10. Why didn't Elisha want to return to his native town where his family used to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elisha is a survivor of a Nazi work camp, and yet he becomes a killer for a group of people with strong beliefs - much like the Nazis preached.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha didn't just walk away from the ideas of Gad?
Part 2: Why can't Elisha see that what he is doing is just as wrong as what the Nazis did to him and to others?
Part 3: Why do you think Elisha may have been more vulnerable to the words of Gad?
Essay Topic 2
Facing the man he is to kill is not a simple task for Elisa, nor would many people consider it a simple task.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha wants to face the man he is told he will kill in the morning?
Part 2: Why do you think Dawson tries to talk with Elisha before he dies?
Part 3: Would you have been able to sit and talk with the man who you were about to kill? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Elisha seems to be a simple character, someone who is going to kill someone else, even though it's not clear at first why he needs to do this.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha thinks it's okay for the prisoner to die?
Part 2: Why do you think Elisa believes killing in general is okay?
Part 3: Why didn't Elisha just refuse to kill the prisoner when he was told to do so?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)