|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A ____________ delegation is received at the White House where the U.S. president promises to help as well.
2. The house is a convenient choice as the comings and goings of ___________ seems to be reasonable activity.
3. The Old Man believes they cannot back away from their plans or the __________ will then seem weak to the outside world.
4. From whom did Elisha learn a lesson when he was a child of twelve?
5. At the end of his first raid, Elisha feels __________ as he finds himself in the same position as the SS guards.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the decision of the Old Man that Gad relayed to Elisha an hour earlier in the first chapter?
2. What is the subject that Elisha wants to study when he is enrolled at Sorbonne in Paris?
3. Describe the city setting at the start of the story when Elisha is standing near a window.
4. What are some of the operations that Elisha has taken part in since his arrival in Palestine?
5. What has Elisha seen every night since hearing the advice of the beggar?
6. How does Elisha rationalize the killing of others in the name of the Movement, even though scripture condemns it?
7. What is the face the Elisha sees the evening that takes place in this chapter?
8. What was the goal of the first rad that Elisha went on as a part of the Movement?
9. What does Ilana say about the two deaths of the two men who are to be executed?
10. What does Elisha envy in the Old Man, regardless of what he instructs them to do for the cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While some people seem to have peaceful ideas of how to resolve the situation with the prisoners, others think otherwise.
Part 1: What is the value of trying to resolve the situation with the other side in a peaceful way?
Part 2: What is the benefit of resolving the situation in a violent way?
Part 3: What will change once violence has been done in the name of a Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Ilana has a radio broadcast that talks about the idea that certain deaths are meaningful and others are not.
Part 1: Why do you think some deaths are more meaningful than others?
Part 2: Why do you think Ilana condemns the British government for the death of John Dawson?
Part 3: Isn't Ilana's logic incorrect? Why does she praise a death that the Movement does not necessarily want to occur?
Essay Topic 3
The causes for which people fight compel them to act in dramatic ways. However, in modern culture, it can be hard to understand their motivation.
Part 1: Why do you think so many people fight for the Movement in this story?
Part 2: What causes do you think are worth fighting for? Why?
Part 3: Are there any causes you should see yourself getting violent for? Why or why not?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)