|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Old Man cries because in his eyes, the ____________ are not yet free from fear and victim mentality.
2. ____________ seems indifferent to the idea of a man dying for no reason.
3. What is NOT one of the adjectives one might use to describe the city at the time Elisha is experiencing it?
4. In Hassidic legends, the ______________ is always portrayed standing, according to Elisha's understanding.
5. Elisha believes it is necessary to kill in order to change his people's ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ilana say about the two deaths of the two men who are to be executed?
2. What is the cellar of the two story building somewhere between Ramat-Gan and Tel Aviv used for?
3. What happens to Elisha after he spends a month in a youth camp in Normandy, France?
4. What was the decision of the Old Man that Gad relayed to Elisha an hour earlier in the first chapter?
5. Describe the city setting at the start of the story when Elisha is standing near a window.
6. What was the goal of the first rad that Elisha went on as a part of the Movement?
7. What happens when Gad offers Elisha a future when he visits with him one fateful day?
8. What will happen to David ben Moshe as a result of his capture by the English?
9. What is the subject that Elisha wants to study when he is enrolled at Sorbonne in Paris?
10. What do several masked instructors teach to the new recruits when they arrive in Palestine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dawson's mother makes a plea for her son's life, but it falls on seemingly deaf ears. Even the mother's cries for her child are not heard.
Part 1: Why do you think Dawson's mother pleads for the safe return of her child?
Part 2: Do you think Dawson's mother should have made a plea for the safe return of Dawson? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the use of the mother to call out for her child is a good move or a weak one? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In many stories, the ending includes the redemption of those who are right and the slaughter of those who are wrong.
Part 1: Why do you think the author still had Dawson die within this story?
Part 2: How might the story have been different had Dawson been left alive?
Part 3: Do you think this is a realistic story to tell? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Pride seems to be a large part of the decisions which are being made in this story. People do things because they think they should, not because they want to do them necessarily.
Part 1: Why do you think the movements believe that they have to act a certain way?
Part 2: What do you think might happen if a side did back down? How would this be a bad thing for them?
Part 3: Do you think pride is a major cause of world struggles? Why or why not?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)