|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Tel Aviv, all of the people are afraid of mass _______________, and all newspapers appeal for the Dawson execution to be called off.
2. In London, Dawson's mother requests _____________ for David ben Moshe in order to save her own son.
3. An hour earlier, who relayed the decision of the Old Man to Elisha?
4. ____________ inspires all Jewish men, woman and children during her radio program.
5. Every evening, Elisha stands near a window in order to greet the arrival of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson that the beggar taught Elisha when he was walking through the dark?
2. What is the lesson of the grizzled master that Elisha remembers when he learns about the idea of killing others?
3. How can one tell the different between night and day time, according to the beggar in Elisha's memory?
4. What was the decision of the Old Man that Gad relayed to Elisha an hour earlier in the first chapter?
5. What does Ilana say about the two deaths of the two men who are to be executed?
6. What is the cellar of the two story building somewhere between Ramat-Gan and Tel Aviv used for?
7. What is the face the Elisha sees the evening that takes place in this chapter?
8. What do several masked instructors teach to the new recruits when they arrive in Palestine?
9. What was the goal of the first rad that Elisha went on as a part of the Movement?
10. What will happen to David ben Moshe as a result of his capture by the English?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lines between what is wrong and what is right are blurred in this story as both sides have a compelling case based on their beliefs.
Part 1: Why do you think killing is thought to be okay in certain situations?
Part 2: Do you agree that killing in the name of a belief is right? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the Movement also could have done to get David back?
Essay Topic 2
Ilana has a radio broadcast that talks about the idea that certain deaths are meaningful and others are not.
Part 1: Why do you think some deaths are more meaningful than others?
Part 2: Why do you think Ilana condemns the British government for the death of John Dawson?
Part 3: Isn't Ilana's logic incorrect? Why does she praise a death that the Movement does not necessarily want to occur?
Essay Topic 3
Elisha seems to be a simple character, someone who is going to kill someone else, even though it's not clear at first why he needs to do this.
Part 1: Why do you think Elisha thinks it's okay for the prisoner to die?
Part 2: Why do you think Elisa believes killing in general is okay?
Part 3: Why didn't Elisha just refuse to kill the prisoner when he was told to do so?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)