|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The boy tells Elisha that the ________ are hungry as Elisha considers taking food to Dawson.
(c) Enemy armies
2. At midnight, the dead leave the graveyard to go to the __________, not to pray, but to eat.
3. The boy who asks for his father to be healed does not get his wish, but he is turned into _______________ and carried up to heaven.
(a) An angel
(b) A cloud
(c) A ghost
(d) A prayer
4. Ilana is saved from being killed by a member of the opposition by a situation with ____________.
(a) A broken leg
(b) A friendly woman
(c) A cold in the head
(d) A cup of tea
5. What is NOT one of the torture methods used on Gideon during a time when he was arrested?
(a) Drowned in a bucket
(b) Face spat on
(c) Beard pulled
(d) Matches lit under fingernails
Short Answer Questions
1. Gideon doesn't say a thing during his torture because he feels as if God is ____________ him.
2. Who does Elisha see filing into the room, making the room feel very crowded?
3. What is the last word on John's lips at his execution?
4. What are the positions of the people in the group of men that Gad has to select from?
5. Gideon is finally freed from his torture and imprisonment due to ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ilana do to narrowly escape her own death, according to her recollection?
2. What does John Dawson do when Gideon tells him that he is going to die at dawn the next day?
3. What does Elisha ask John Dawson about when he sees how slender his fingers and hands are?
4. What does Elisha begin to understand about the idea of killing others as he talks with the younger version of himself?
5. What does John Dawson request from Elisha after he begins to pace around the room?
6. What does John refuse to do when Elisha is preparing to kill him?
7. Why does the room feel crowded to Elisha as the clock ticks past midnight in the chapter?
8. What did Gideon do to narrowly escape his own death, according to his recollection?
9. What does the Berlin Chief of the Gestapo do to Stefan in order to try to get information from him?
10. What does Gideon reveal to Elisha about John Dawson, which surprises Elisha?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)