|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elisha have to do the following day that is making him pensive during this evening?
(a) Kill a man
(b) Get married
(c) Go home
(d) Take a test
2. Where is the crying coming from as Elisha is standing at the window of the building?
3. In London, Dawson's mother requests _____________ for David ben Moshe in order to save her own son.
(a) A pardon
(b) A stayed execution
(c) A speedy trial
(d) The death
4. Who comes knocking at Elisha's door just as he is asking questions of the world and his place in it?
(c) David ben Moshe
5. The woman of #52 talks about David ben Moshe's death as being ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The leaders of England feel that a pardon will be interpreted as a sign of ____________ and that it will encourage other young idealists.
2. Elisha also wants to find out what makes a man most truly a _________ in this world.
3. One can distinguish between night and day by looking at a man's ___________, according to the beggar.
4. In Hassidic legends, the ______________ is always portrayed standing, according to Elisha's understanding.
5. Every evening, Elisha stands near a window in order to greet the arrival of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the decision of the Old Man that Gad relayed to Elisha an hour earlier in the first chapter?
2. What do several masked instructors teach to the new recruits when they arrive in Palestine?
3. What is the lesson of the grizzled master that Elisha remembers when he learns about the idea of killing others?
4. What is the subject that Elisha wants to study when he is enrolled at Sorbonne in Paris?
5. What does Elisha envy in the Old Man, regardless of what he instructs them to do for the cause?
6. What was the goal of the first rad that Elisha went on as a part of the Movement?
7. What happens to Elisha after he spends a month in a youth camp in Normandy, France?
8. What makes Elisha feel uneasy about Gad when Gad first enters his life at his furnished flat?
9. What is the lesson that the beggar taught Elisha when he was walking through the dark?
10. How can one tell the different between night and day time, according to the beggar in Elisha's memory?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)