|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Dawson staring at when Elisha enters his room to meet him?
(a) The pillow
(c) The window
2. What does Gideon report back about the state of health of John Dawson?
(a) He is asleep
(b) He is coughing
(c) He is vomiting
(d) He is hungry
3. The boy finally tells Elisha that the dead are not there to ________, but because they go wherever he goes.
4. What does Gad reply when Elisha asks what he would have done if the men hadn't made a choice?
(a) I'd have killed myself instead
(b) I would have made them kill each other
(c) I would have drawn straws
(d) I would have shot them all
5. What is the question Dawson then asks, surprising Elisha in the process?
(a) Are you Elisha?
(b) Are you a believer in God?
(c) Are you the Old Man in my dreams?
(d) Are you the one?
6. The woman in the work camp likes making love to ____________ who are about to die.
(a) Little boys
(b) Concentration camp survivors
(d) Movement soldiers
7. ___________ is making murderers out of these people through his action.
(b) Old Man
8. Ilana understands why Elisha doesn't want to see John Dawson - he is ________.
9. What is the last word on John's lips at his execution?
(a) Little boy
(c) Poor boy
10. _____________ is praying for the repose of the dead when Elisha comes upstairs.
11. What does John Dawson want to tell Elisha even as the pistol is raised?
(a) A funny story
(b) A Bible story
(c) His sins
(d) A limerick
12. Elisha's mother used to tell him there was a ____________ that would guide and protect him everywhere he goes.
(a) Goat of gold
13. Elisha owes his life to a ______________, according to his story.
14. Elisha was named for a man who was a prophet of ____________, as he explains.
15. John refuses to be ______________ when he is executed.
(c) Tied up
Short Answer Questions
1. Looking back on the situation of killing the man, Gad says that he was very young and very _________.
2. Gad laughs at the response of John Dawson, saying that it's typical English to have a ______________.
3. The boy who asks for his father to be healed does not get his wish, but he is turned into _______________ and carried up to heaven.
4. Elisha does not believe that a man about to die could ever be ______________.
5. Elisha remembers a story where the nights sometimes allow the sky to open up so that the ____________ of unhappy children can be heard.
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)