|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The boy tells Elisha, "You are the ________ of all that we have been," as Elisha begs for answers.
(b) Sum total
2. The tattered fragment of darkness has a face, Elisha sees, and that face is ___________.
(b) His rabbi's
(c) His own
(d) His father's
3. "In a way, we are the ones to _________ John Dawson. Because you can't do it without us. Now, do you see?"
4. Who is the German resistance fighter that Elisha met in Buchenwald?
5. Who does Elisha see filing into the room, making the room feel very crowded?
6. Gideon thinks he is only alive because he did not admit _____________.
(a) His plans
(b) His guilt
(c) His feelings
(d) His allegiance
7. What does John Dawson want to do as he is waiting for his execution?
(a) Talk his way out of execution
(b) See the sky
(c) Write a note to his son
(d) Kill himself
8. What does the assistant barracks leader try to do to Elisha when he discovers what he has done?
(a) Puts him outside
(b) Hits him
(c) Shoots him
(d) Tries to choke him
9. _____________ is praying for the repose of the dead when Elisha comes upstairs.
10. Where does John Dawson's son, who is Elisha's age, go to school, according to John?
(a) Royal Air Force Academy
11. Gad owes his life to three ____________ who were supposed to be killed in a specific way as directed by the Old Man.
12. What does Ilana serve to the people who are sitting around the table?
13. ____________ tells Elisha that John Dawson doesn't know he will be executed in the morning.
14. Gad laughs at the response of John Dawson, saying that it's typical English to have a ______________.
(a) Carefree attitude
(b) Healthy appetite
(c) Stiff upper lip
(d) Desire for alcohol
15. The woman in the work camp likes making love to ____________ who are about to die.
(a) Movement soldiers
(b) Concentration camp survivors
(d) Little boys
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the women in her mid-twenties that Elisha met while at the work camp in France?
2. What does Gad reply when Elisha asks what he would have done if the men hadn't made a choice?
3. Gideon talks about taking something to _______________ to John Dawson.
4. What did the German resistance fighter lose during his torture at the hands of the Nazis?
5. Elisha wants to impose the image of ____________ torturer on John Dawson, but he cannot.
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)