|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fighters in the Movement have been attacking under the cover of __________, taking the English by surprise.
(b) English uniforms
2. Who is now occupying the town in which Elisha and his parents once resided?
3. The Old Man believes the English only respect one thing. What is that one thing?
4. The Old Man believes they cannot back away from their plans or the __________ will then seem weak to the outside world.
5. Where is the crying coming from as Elisha is standing at the window of the building?
6. What does Gad do during the fateful mission which allows them to get away?
(a) Scream for help
(b) Hide David
(c) Shoot a captain
(d) Change a tire
7. The Movement's objective is to kill the greatest number of __________ possible.
8. What does Elisha have to do the following day that is making him pensive during this evening?
(a) Take a test
(b) Kill a man
(c) Go home
(d) Get married
9. What kind of job is taking place when David ben Moshe is wounded and captured by the English?
(a) Hard job
(d) Soft job
10. Who freed Elisha from the concentration camps, though he did not take them up on their offer to help?
11. Whose face does Elisha see as he is staring out the window during this particular night?
(a) The rabbi's
(b) His own
(c) His father's
(d) The beggar's
12. The leaders of England feel that a pardon will be interpreted as a sign of ____________ and that it will encourage other young idealists.
13. The High Commissioner of _________ announces that the entire population will be held responsible if the hostage is killed.
14. Ilana's broadcasts are a product of the _______________, the men find out.
(a) Old Man
15. When Gad offers to give Elisha a ____________, Elisha sees Gad as a Meshulah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the adjectives one might use to describe the city at the time Elisha is experiencing it?
2. In what area does Elisha spend time in a youth camp after moving to his new country?
3. Where does Elisha not want to return to after he is freed from the camps of the Nazis?
4. During what season does the opening section of the novel take place?
5. Elisha is now hearing about Jews, not as ___________, but as fighters who are simply claiming what is theirs.
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)