|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Hassidic legends, the ______________ is always portrayed standing, according to Elisha's understanding.
2. The fighters in the Movement have been attacking under the cover of __________, taking the English by surprise.
(a) English uniforms
3. What does the mysterious figure ask of Elisha when he encounters him in the empty building?
(a) Are you afraid of the dark?
(b) Do you know God?
(c) What are your desires?
(d) Who do you serve?
4. During what season does the opening section of the novel take place?
5. Where does Elisha not want to return to after he is freed from the camps of the Nazis?
(c) His native town
6. The beggar tells Elisha not to be afraid of the dark. Night is ____________ than day.
7. Elisha is usually uneasy about beggars who inspire in him mingled feelings of _________ and fear.
8. What does Gad do incessantly as he talked to Elisha about his ideas of the world?
9. What does Elisha have to do the following day that is making him pensive during this evening?
(a) Take a test
(b) Get married
(c) Kill a man
(d) Go home
10. The Old Man cries because in his eyes, the ____________ are not yet free from fear and victim mentality.
11. Elisha also wants to find out what makes a man most truly a _________ in this world.
12. One can distinguish between night and day by looking at a man's ___________, according to the beggar.
13. From what concentration camp did Elisha come during the events of World War II?
(b) Bergen Belsen
(c) Auschwitz II
14. From whom did Elisha learn a lesson when he was a child of twelve?
(a) Old beggar
(b) His mother
(c) His father
(d) Old Man
15. When the people learn the entire population will be held responsible, the word _________ begins to be whispered by the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area does Elisha spend time in a youth camp after moving to his new country?
2. The woman of #52 talks about David ben Moshe's death as being ___________.
3. Elisha feels uneasy with Gad's sense of __________ and his knowledge about Elisha.
4. The Old Man believes they cannot back away from their plans or the __________ will then seem weak to the outside world.
5. ____________ seems indifferent to the idea of a man dying for no reason.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)