|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound finally disappears from the outside, according to the book?
(a) The music
(b) The bombing
(c) The wolves
(d) The child crying
2. Gad talks to Elisha about realizing the age old Jewish dream of an independent ____________.
3. The Old Man believes the English only respect one thing. What is that one thing?
4. Gad and David are childhood friends who entered the __________ together.
5. Every evening, Elisha has never failed to see a __________ when he stands at the window.
6. The first mission of Elisha was to attack a _______________ on the road between Haifa and Tel Aviv.
(a) Supply bus
(b) Military convoy
(c) Lone tank
(d) Army Captain
7. Every evening, Elisha stands near a window in order to greet the arrival of ___________.
(b) His soul
(d) His prayers
8. What is NOT one of the adjectives one might use to describe the city at the time Elisha is experiencing it?
9. Where is John Dawson being kept in the two-story building as he is a hostage?
10. The High Commissioner of _________ announces that the entire population will be held responsible if the hostage is killed.
11. How old is Elisha when the story begins?
12. In London, Dawson's mother requests _____________ for David ben Moshe in order to save her own son.
(a) A stayed execution
(b) A speedy trial
(c) The death
(d) A pardon
13. What is the eleventh commandment that is taught to the new recruits when they are training?
(a) Listen to the Old Man
(b) Forget your family
(c) Forget your past
(d) Hate your enemy
14. The leaders of England feel that a pardon will be interpreted as a sign of ____________ and that it will encourage other young idealists.
15. Whose face does Elisha see as he is staring out the window during this particular night?
(a) His own
(b) The rabbi's
(c) His father's
(d) The beggar's
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dialogue that leads Elisha to believe Gad is a powerful person? E: Who are you? G: I am a __________________.
2. What does Elisha have to do the following day that is making him pensive during this evening?
3. Which side of the English vs. Palestinian conflict has probably had more casualties?
4. Who is now occupying the town in which Elisha and his parents once resided?
5. What is the only thing Elisha knows about the man he will be facing the following day?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)