|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does David go after tending to his aunt's business in Dover?
2. What does David's family encourage him to do in Chapter 54?
3. Who are the most penitent prisoners at Mr. Creakle's experimental prison?
4. What is taken to Mrs. Steerforth in Chapter 56?
5. In Chapter 64, the narrator reveals that all of the characters are happy except which one?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosa Dartle react to Steerforth's death?
2. How does Mr. Peggotty's visit in Chapter 63 tie up the loose ends of the novel?
3. How does Mr. Dick help Dr. and Mrs. Strong, and what is the result?
4. How does David manage to meet with Dora in Chapter 41?
5. How does Dora react when David tells her of his poverty?
6. In Chapter 42, what is revealed about Jack Maldon, and how does Dr. Strong react?
7. What does David learn about Traddles when he returns to London in Chapter 59?
8. How is Mr. Peggotty reunited with Emily?
9. How does Dora's father react when he learns of the affair between David and Dora?
10. How does the action in Chapter 64 sum up the lives of all the characters in "David Copperfield"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 2
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 3
Dickens published this novel in twenty installments. How does this structure affect the way in which the story is told?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)