|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David refrain from telling Agnes that he loves her in Chapter 60?
2. Who travels with the Micawbers, Mr. Peggotty, and Emily in Chapter 57?
3. What is Mr. Micawber's position in Australia?
4. What delays David from delivering a letter to Emily from Ham?
5. Where does Maldon invite Mrs. Strong in Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Creakle write to David in Chapter 61?
2. How does Mr. Dick help Dr. and Mrs. Strong, and what is the result?
3. When David visits Agnes in Chapter 39, why does Mrs. Heep follow them around?
4. What does David realize in Chapter 58?
5. Why does Dora say it's better for her to die now?
6. What does Littimer tell David in Chapter 46?
7. In Chapter 36, who finds work, and what work do they find?
8. Who travels in Chapter 57, and where do they go?
9. How is Mr. Peggotty reunited with Emily?
10. How does Rosa Dartle react to Steerforth's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is David Copperfield a self-portrait of Charles Dickens? Use textual evidence and biographical support to argue your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is the motif of mothers and mother figures used in "David Copperfield"? Which characters act in this type of position, and how do they affect the novel and the other characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)