|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to follow David and Agnes around when they try to talk about Dora?
2. Who senses the unhappiness of Dr. and Mrs. Strong in Chapter 45 and wants to help?
3. To what does David attribute all of his good fortune?
4. After the paperwork is settled in Chapter 52, what does everyone decide to do?
5. Who does David receive a letter from with an invitation to visit in Chapter 61?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the action in Chapter 64 sum up the lives of all the characters in "David Copperfield"?
2. How does Mr. Peggotty's visit in Chapter 63 tie up the loose ends of the novel?
3. What does David realize in Chapter 58?
4. Recount Mr. Micawber's charges against Uriah Heep.
5. How does Mr. Dick help Dr. and Mrs. Strong, and what is the result?
6. How does Rosa Dartle react to Steerforth's death?
7. How is Mr. Peggotty reunited with Emily?
8. After learning of his newly impoverished state, what does David decide to do, and what happens as a result?
9. Who travels in Chapter 57, and where do they go?
10. Why does Dora say it's better for her to die now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does social class play in "David Copperfield"? What different classes are represented, and by which characters?
Essay Topic 2
How would the story be different if David's mother had lived?
Essay Topic 3
How is speech used to indicate social class in "David Copperfield"? Providing specific examples from the text, which characters are evidence of this motif? What social classes are represented by differences in speech?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)