|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the simple act of placing the Strongs' hands together accomplish?
2. Who does Mr. Micawber blame for many of his troubles in Chapter 49?
3. Who do Mr. Peggotty and David search for in hopes of learning more information about Emily in Chapter 47?
4. Who hits Uriah Heep?
5. How does David earn extra money in Chapter 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dora's father react when he learns of the affair between David and Dora?
2. Recount Mr. Micawber's charges against Uriah Heep.
3. How does the action in Chapter 64 sum up the lives of all the characters in "David Copperfield"?
4. What happens when David tries to improve Dora's thinking?
5. What happens when David confronts Agnes in Chapter 62?
6. What does David realize in Chapter 58?
7. What does Miss Betsey tell David about the strange man in Chapter 47?
8. What happens when David sees Ham in Chapter 55?
9. In Chapter 36, who finds work, and what work do they find?
10. What does David learn about Traddles when he returns to London in Chapter 59?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dickens published this novel in twenty installments. How does this structure affect the way in which the story is told?
Essay Topic 2
How is speech used to indicate social class in "David Copperfield"? Providing specific examples from the text, which characters are evidence of this motif? What social classes are represented by differences in speech?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways can Miss Betsey be seen as a hero in the novel? Who does she save, and how?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)