|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drops hints about a relationship between Mrs. Strong and Jack Maldon?
2. Who suddenly arrives in Chapter 63?
3. Who does David receive a letter from with an invitation to visit in Chapter 61?
4. What does David refrain from telling the Micawbers, Mr. Peggotty, and Emily about in Chapter 57?
5. How does Dora's father find out about the relationship between David and Dora?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dora's father react when he learns of the affair between David and Dora?
2. In Chapter 42, what is revealed about Jack Maldon, and how does Dr. Strong react?
3. What happens when David sees Ham in Chapter 55?
4. What is the major problem that David discovers about his marriage to Dora in Chapter 44?
5. How does the action in Chapter 64 sum up the lives of all the characters in "David Copperfield"?
6. What does David do when he returns home in Chapter 40?
7. Why does David travel, and where does he go?
8. What does David learn about Traddles when he returns to London in Chapter 59?
9. Why does Dora say it's better for her to die now?
10. Recount Mr. Micawber's charges against Uriah Heep.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty? How are characters viewed based on their pecuniary successes?
Essay Topic 3
What role does social class play in "David Copperfield"? What different classes are represented, and by which characters?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)