|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David refrain from telling the Micawbers, Mr. Peggotty, and Emily about in Chapter 57?
2. Why does Dora stop communicating with David in Chapter 38?
3. Who does Mr. Micawber blame for many of his troubles in Chapter 49?
4. When do the last two chapters of the novel take place in relation to the previous chapters?
5. In Chapter 46, as David passes the Steerforth house, who asks to speak with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who travels in Chapter 57, and where do they go?
2. What does David realize in Chapter 58?
3. What happens when David sees Ham in Chapter 55?
4. In Chapter 36, who finds work, and what work do they find?
5. Describe Emily's adventures after leaving home.
6. How does Dora's father react when he learns of the affair between David and Dora?
7. In Chapter 42, what is revealed about Jack Maldon, and how does Dr. Strong react?
8. When David visits Agnes in Chapter 39, why does Mrs. Heep follow them around?
9. How does David manage to meet with Dora in Chapter 41?
10. How is Mr. Peggotty reunited with Emily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does social class play in "David Copperfield"? What different classes are represented, and by which characters?
Essay Topic 2
Is David Copperfield a self-portrait of Charles Dickens? Use textual evidence and biographical support to argue your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)