|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does David go after tending to his aunt's business in Dover?
2. Where will this secret meeting occur?
3. What does Miss Betsey explain to David in Chapter 47?
4. Who hits Uriah Heep?
5. Who dies while attempting to rescue another man during the storm in Chapter 55?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David do when he returns home in Chapter 40?
2. How does Mr. Peggotty's visit in Chapter 63 tie up the loose ends of the novel?
3. Who travels in Chapter 57, and where do they go?
4. How is Mr. Peggotty reunited with Emily?
5. What happens when David sees Ham in Chapter 55?
6. In Chapter 42, what is revealed about Jack Maldon, and how does Dr. Strong react?
7. How does the action in Chapter 64 sum up the lives of all the characters in "David Copperfield"?
8. Why does Mr. Creakle write to David in Chapter 61?
9. What does Mrs. Micawber tell David in Chapter 49?
10. What does David learn about Traddles when he returns to London in Chapter 59?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty? How are characters viewed based on their pecuniary successes?
Essay Topic 2
What role does social class play in "David Copperfield"? What different classes are represented, and by which characters?
Essay Topic 3
Dickens published this novel in twenty installments. How does this structure affect the way in which the story is told?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)