|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David ask Agnes to promise in Chapter 39?
2. Who suddenly arrives in Chapter 63?
3. Who does David see when he returns late to his aunt's house in Chapter 47?
4. How does Emily learn of Ham's death?
5. What does David decide to do in order to make sure Dora gets the life she requires?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Peggotty's visit in Chapter 63 tie up the loose ends of the novel?
2. What does David do when he returns home in Chapter 40?
3. How does Mr. Dick help Dr. and Mrs. Strong, and what is the result?
4. Describe Emily's adventures after leaving home.
5. What does David realize in Chapter 58?
6. In Chapter 42, what is revealed about Jack Maldon, and how does Dr. Strong react?
7. What does Mrs. Micawber tell David in Chapter 49?
8. How is Mr. Peggotty reunited with Emily?
9. Why does Mr. Creakle write to David in Chapter 61?
10. How does Dora's father react when he learns of the affair between David and Dora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is David Copperfield a self-portrait of Charles Dickens? Use textual evidence and biographical support to argue your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in "David Copperfield"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 3
How does David change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)