|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What delays David from delivering a letter to Emily from Ham?
2. Who do Mr. Peggotty and David search for in hopes of learning more information about Emily in Chapter 47?
3. Who makes preparations to go to Australia in Chapter 55?
4. In Chapter 50, who summons David and takes him to a rooming house in London?
5. How does David feel about his relationship with Dora?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emily's adventures after leaving home.
2. Recount Mr. Micawber's charges against Uriah Heep.
3. How does Dora react when David tells her of his poverty?
4. What does David do when he returns home in Chapter 40?
5. Why does David travel, and where does he go?
6. In Chapter 43, how does David prepare to marry Dora?
7. When David visits Agnes in Chapter 39, why does Mrs. Heep follow them around?
8. What does David learn about Traddles when he returns to London in Chapter 59?
9. How is Mr. Peggotty reunited with Emily?
10. What does Littimer tell David in Chapter 46?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dickens published this novel in twenty installments. How does this structure affect the way in which the story is told?
Essay Topic 2
How is physical beauty used to correspond to moral good in this novel? Which characters demonstrate the use of this motif?
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols(the sea, flowers, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)