|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Betsey explain to David in Chapter 47?
2. What happens when David tries to improve Dora's thinking in Chapter 48?
3. How does David earn extra money in Chapter 43?
4. Where does David go after tending to his aunt's business in Dover?
5. What does Miss Betsey tell David at the end of Chapter 54?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Betsey tell David about the strange man in Chapter 47?
2. How does Dora react when David tells her of his poverty?
3. In Chapter 43, how does David prepare to marry Dora?
4. What does David realize in Chapter 58?
5. How does the action in Chapter 64 sum up the lives of all the characters in "David Copperfield"?
6. Who travels in Chapter 57, and where do they go?
7. Recount Mr. Micawber's charges against Uriah Heep.
8. How is Mr. Peggotty reunited with Emily?
9. How does Mr. Peggotty's visit in Chapter 63 tie up the loose ends of the novel?
10. What does David learn about Traddles when he returns to London in Chapter 59?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty? How are characters viewed based on their pecuniary successes?
Essay Topic 2
How is speech used to indicate social class in "David Copperfield"? Providing specific examples from the text, which characters are evidence of this motif? What social classes are represented by differences in speech?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "David Copperfield"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)