|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the status of Dora's illness in Chapter 53?
2. How does Dora's father find out about the relationship between David and Dora?
3. How long does David wander aimlessly through Europe before returning home?
4. Who do David, Miss Betsey, Mr. Dick, and Traddles meet in Chapter 52?
5. Who does David receive a letter from with an invitation to visit in Chapter 61?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when David sees Ham in Chapter 55?
2. After learning of his newly impoverished state, what does David decide to do, and what happens as a result?
3. What does Miss Betsey tell David about the strange man in Chapter 47?
4. What is the major problem that David discovers about his marriage to Dora in Chapter 44?
5. How does Dora's father react when he learns of the affair between David and Dora?
6. What does David do when he returns home in Chapter 40?
7. Recount Mr. Micawber's charges against Uriah Heep.
8. How is Mr. Peggotty reunited with Emily?
9. What does David hear about Agnes in Chapter 60?
10. How does David manage to meet with Dora in Chapter 41?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 2
How does David and Agnes' friendship affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is the motif of mothers and mother figures used in "David Copperfield"? Which characters act in this type of position, and how do they affect the novel and the other characters in the novel?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)