|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dora specifically send for on her deathbed?
2. In Chapter 50, who summons David and takes him to a rooming house in London?
3. Who are the most penitent prisoners at Mr. Creakle's experimental prison?
4. How does David feel he must act due to his financial status in Chapter 35?
5. Why does Miss Betsey send David to Dover to attend to some business for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 36, who finds work, and what work do they find?
2. Recount Mr. Micawber's charges against Uriah Heep.
3. What does Miss Betsey tell David about the strange man in Chapter 47?
4. What does David do when he returns home in Chapter 40?
5. How does Dora's father react when he learns of the affair between David and Dora?
6. How does Dora react when David tells her of his poverty?
7. How does Rosa Dartle react to Steerforth's death?
8. What is the major problem that David discovers about his marriage to Dora in Chapter 44?
9. After learning of his newly impoverished state, what does David decide to do, and what happens as a result?
10. What does David hear about Agnes in Chapter 60?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 2
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 3
How is physical beauty used to correspond to moral good in this novel? Which characters demonstrate the use of this motif?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)