|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does David run into when he and Agnes attend a dinner party?
2. How does David feel in his new lodgings with the Wickfields?
3. What boarding school does David attend in London?
4. Who does David re-encounter when he arrives in London?
5. Why is Emily being let out of her apprenticeship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Littimer make David feel?
2. How does Steerforth spend his time in Yarmouth in Chapter 22?
3. How do the other characters feel about Mr. Murdstone?
4. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
5. Describe the friendship between David and Steerforth.
6. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
7. What does Ham tell David about Emily in Chapter 31?
8. How does David feel about Dora, and what does he worry about?
9. What happens immediately after David's mother's funeral?
10. How does Mrs. Steerforth react to learning her son has run away with Emily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (abuse of the weak, marriage equality, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the different characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does David change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "David Copperfield"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)