|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David feel in his new lodgings with the Wickfields?
2. What does David learn on his birthday?
3. What does David find when he returns home for the holidays?
4. How does David do in school?
5. What does David often do while staying in Yarmouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
2. Why is David anxious about returning to school?
3. Describe the interaction between Rosa Dartle and Steerforth in Chapter 29.
4. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
5. How does Steerforth spend his time in Yarmouth in Chapter 22?
6. What happens when David finally arrives at Miss Betsey's house?
7. How does Mr. Wickfield influence David's life in Chapter 15?
8. Describe the scene of David's birth.
9. What happens when David visits Dora's friend's house in London?
10. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Agnes and Dora. How are their relationships with David similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good or evil?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)