|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tommy Traddles plan to marry?
2. What does Miss Betsey tell Mr. Murdstone in a letter?
3. Who is going to become Agnes' father's business partner?
4. How does Mr. Creakle run the school?
5. What does David learn on his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before David leaves Canterbury, what does Agnes tell him?
2. What happens when David finally arrives at Miss Betsey's house?
3. Describe the scene of David's birth.
4. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
5. Why is David anxious about returning to school?
6. What happens during and after David's dinner party in Chapter 24?
7. Describe the two women that David tells Agnes about having crushes on in Chapter 18.
8. What happens immediately after David's mother's funeral?
9. What does Ham tell David about Emily in Chapter 31?
10. Describe David's job at Murdstones and Grindy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does social class play in "David Copperfield"? What different classes are represented, and by which characters?
Essay Topic 2
Is David Copperfield a self-portrait of Charles Dickens? Use textual evidence and biographical support to argue your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways can Miss Betsey be seen as a hero in the novel? Who does she save, and how?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)