|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do David and Steerforth help each other?
2. Whose birthday party is David invited to?
3. Who begins to court David's mother?
4. During David's tea outing, who passes the house so that David is forced to introduce him to his hosts?
5. Who visits David at his new lodgings after he obtains his apprenticeship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David hear about Agnes in Chapter 60?
2. What does Ham tell David about Emily in Chapter 31?
3. Why does David's mother die, and how/when does David find out?
4. How does David manage to meet with Dora in Chapter 41?
5. What does David realize in Chapter 58?
6. When David visits Agnes in Chapter 39, why does Mrs. Heep follow them around?
7. Recount Mr. Micawber's charges against Uriah Heep.
8. What methods do the Murdstones use to break the spirits of the other people in the house?
9. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
10. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty? How are characters viewed based on their pecuniary successes?
Essay Topic 2
What role does social class play in "David Copperfield"? What different classes are represented, and by which characters?
Essay Topic 3
Is David Copperfield a self-portrait of Charles Dickens? Use textual evidence and biographical support to argue your opinion.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)