|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tommy Traddles studying for a career in?
2. Who visits David at his new lodgings after he obtains his apprenticeship?
3. Who comes to stay with David's family?
4. Why does David sell most of his clothes on his journey?
5. Whose presence disturbs David while he stays at the Wickfields' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think about Miss Betsey's conversation with the Murdstones?
2. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
3. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
4. What happens when David visits Dora's friend's house in London?
5. Describe the two women that David tells Agnes about having crushes on in Chapter 18.
6. Before David leaves Canterbury, what does Agnes tell him?
7. How does Littimer make David feel?
8. While David visits Traddles, who arrives and what do they tell David?
9. What news does David learn when he visits Yarmouth in Chapter 30?
10. Why does David's mother die, and how/when does David find out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is physical beauty used to correspond to moral good in this novel? Which characters demonstrate the use of this motif?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good or evil?
Essay Topic 3
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)