|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David sell most of his clothes on his journey?
2. When Ham arrives at the Peggotty home without Emily, what does he secretly tell David?
3. During David's tea outing, who passes the house so that David is forced to introduce him to his hosts?
4. How does Agnes react to seeing David drunk?
5. Who does Ham see talking with Emily in town before she runs away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David's mother die, and how/when does David find out?
2. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
3. Describe the two women that David tells Agnes about having crushes on in Chapter 18.
4. What happens when David finally arrives at Miss Betsey's house?
5. Before David leaves Canterbury, what does Agnes tell him?
6. What methods do the Murdstones use to break the spirits of the other people in the house?
7. Describe David's dinner party in Chapter 28.
8. Describe the scene of David's birth.
9. How does Mrs. Steerforth react to learning her son has run away with Emily?
10. Describe the friendship between David and Steerforth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is physical beauty used to correspond to moral good in this novel? Which characters demonstrate the use of this motif?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good or evil?
Essay Topic 3
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)