|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Miss Betsey decide to send David to school?
2. What does David often do while staying in Yarmouth?
3. Where does Steerforth stay while in Yarmouth?
4. Who does David re-encounter when he arrives in London?
5. What announcement at Peggotty's home is interrupted by David and Steerforth's arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when David finally arrives at Miss Betsey's house?
2. How does Mr. Wickfield influence David's life in Chapter 15?
3. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
4. Before David leaves Canterbury, what does Agnes tell him?
5. What does Ham tell David about Emily in Chapter 31?
6. What news does David learn when he visits Yarmouth in Chapter 30?
7. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
8. Describe the interaction between Rosa Dartle and Steerforth in Chapter 29.
9. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
10. What happens during and after David's dinner party in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dickens published this novel in twenty installments. How does this structure affect the way in which the story is told?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in "David Copperfield"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 3
How is speech used to indicate social class in "David Copperfield"? Providing specific examples from the text, which characters are evidence of this motif? What social classes are represented by differences in speech?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)