|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David make legal rounds in Chapter 33?
2. What announcement at Peggotty's home is interrupted by David and Steerforth's arrival?
3. Who does David have tea with?
4. What does Dora's friend inform David of?
5. Why does David sell most of his clothes on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Rosa Dartle and Steerforth in Chapter 29.
2. Why does David's mother die, and how/when does David find out?
3. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
4. What news does David learn when he visits Yarmouth in Chapter 30?
5. Describe David's job at Murdstones and Grindy.
6. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
7. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
8. How does Mrs. Steerforth react to learning her son has run away with Emily?
9. Describe the friendship between David and Steerforth.
10. What happens during and after David's dinner party in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good or evil?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols(the sea, flowers, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)