|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does David express as he leaves Steerforth's house in Chapter 29?
2. How does Agnes react to seeing David drunk?
3. Who does David run into when he and Agnes attend a dinner party?
4. Whose birthday party is David invited to?
5. Why does Mrs. Micawber suggest her husband take out an advertisement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
2. How does Steerforth spend his time in Yarmouth in Chapter 22?
3. How does Mrs. Steerforth react to learning her son has run away with Emily?
4. Describe the interaction between Rosa Dartle and Steerforth in Chapter 29.
5. Describe the friendship between David and Steerforth.
6. What happens during and after David's dinner party in Chapter 24?
7. Before David leaves Canterbury, what does Agnes tell him?
8. What does Ham tell David about Emily in Chapter 31?
9. What methods do the Murdstones use to break the spirits of the other people in the house?
10. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 2
What role does social class play in "David Copperfield"? What different classes are represented, and by which characters?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "David Copperfield"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)