|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps execute Barkis' will?
2. When Mr. Dick visits David at school, what does he tell David has frightened Miss Betsey?
3. Why do the Micawbers have to leave Plymouth?
4. Why does David make legal rounds in Chapter 33?
5. Who is suspicious about Steerforth at Steerforth's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
2. How do the other characters feel about Mr. Murdstone?
3. How does Littimer make David feel?
4. What news does David learn when he visits Yarmouth in Chapter 30?
5. Describe the interaction between Rosa Dartle and Steerforth in Chapter 29.
6. Describe the two women that David tells Agnes about having crushes on in Chapter 18.
7. What happens when David visits Dora's friend's house in London?
8. Why is David anxious about returning to school?
9. What happens when David arrives at Salem House?
10. Describe the scene of David's birth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (abuse of the weak, marriage equality, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the different characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)