|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Steerforth insult so badly that this person resigns his post immediately?
2. How does David do in school?
3. What does David learn on his birthday?
4. What does Miss Betsey decide to do about David?
5. What is the name of the carriage driver who wants to marry Peggotty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Wickfield influence David's life in Chapter 15?
2. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
3. While David visits Traddles, who arrives and what do they tell David?
4. How does Mrs. Steerforth react to learning her son has run away with Emily?
5. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
6. What happens when David finally arrives at Miss Betsey's house?
7. What do you think about Miss Betsey's conversation with the Murdstones?
8. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
9. Why is David anxious about returning to school?
10. What happens when David is having tea with the Heeps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dickens published this novel in twenty installments. How does this structure affect the way in which the story is told?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (abuse of the weak, marriage equality, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the different characters?
Essay Topic 3
What role does social class play in "David Copperfield"? What different classes are represented, and by which characters?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)