|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David do in school?
2. Who does David have tea with?
3. What is Tommy Traddles studying for a career in?
4. What is the name of the carriage driver who wants to marry Peggotty?
5. During David's tea outing, who passes the house so that David is forced to introduce him to his hosts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major problem that David discovers about his marriage to Dora in Chapter 44?
2. How does Steerforth spend his time in Yarmouth in Chapter 22?
3. Describe the scene of David's birth.
4. How does Mr. Dick help Dr. and Mrs. Strong, and what is the result?
5. How does Dora react when David tells her of his poverty?
6. In Chapter 36, who finds work, and what work do they find?
7. What happens when David confronts Agnes in Chapter 62?
8. What does Mrs. Micawber tell David in Chapter 49?
9. Describe the interaction between Rosa Dartle and Steerforth in Chapter 29.
10. What does David hear about Agnes in Chapter 60?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is David Copperfield a self-portrait of Charles Dickens? Use textual evidence and biographical support to argue your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good or evil?
Essay Topic 3
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)