|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the suspicious person at Steerforth's house unable to obtain information from David?
2. What does Dora's friend inform David of?
3. When the doctor arrives, what does he bring news about?
4. What does Miss Betsey tell Mr. Murdstone in a letter?
5. When is Peggotty fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Steerforth spend his time in Yarmouth in Chapter 22?
2. Why is David anxious about returning to school?
3. What happens when David is having tea with the Heeps?
4. What methods do the Murdstones use to break the spirits of the other people in the house?
5. What do you think about Miss Betsey's conversation with the Murdstones?
6. Why does David's mother die, and how/when does David find out?
7. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
8. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
9. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
10. What happens when David arrives at Salem House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is speech used to indicate social class in "David Copperfield"? Providing specific examples from the text, which characters are evidence of this motif? What social classes are represented by differences in speech?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good or evil?
Essay Topic 3
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)