|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During David's tea outing, who passes the house so that David is forced to introduce him to his hosts?
2. What idea does David express as he leaves Steerforth's house in Chapter 29?
3. What happens between David and Dora in Chapter 32?
4. What about David's birth offends his great aunt, Miss Betsey Trotwood?
5. Why is Emily being let out of her apprenticeship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene of David's birth.
2. Why does David's mother die, and how/when does David find out?
3. What happens during and after David's dinner party in Chapter 24?
4. What happens immediately after David's mother's funeral?
5. How does David feel about Dora, and what does he worry about?
6. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
7. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
8. How does Littimer make David feel?
9. What happens when David is having tea with the Heeps?
10. Describe David's job at Murdstones and Grindy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty? How are characters viewed based on their pecuniary successes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (abuse of the weak, marriage equality, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the different characters?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)