|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two days later, how does David feel about his behavior to Agnes while he was drunk?
2. What does David find when he returns home for the holidays?
3. When Ham arrives at the Peggotty home without Emily, what does he secretly tell David?
4. Whose presence disturbs David while he stays at the Wickfields' house?
5. During David's tea outing, who passes the house so that David is forced to introduce him to his hosts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Steerforth react to learning her son has run away with Emily?
2. Describe David's dinner party in Chapter 28.
3. What happens when David is having tea with the Heeps?
4. Describe the interaction between Rosa Dartle and Steerforth in Chapter 29.
5. How does David feel about Dora, and what does he worry about?
6. What methods do the Murdstones use to break the spirits of the other people in the house?
7. How does Mr. Wickfield influence David's life in Chapter 15?
8. Describe the friendship between David and Steerforth.
9. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
10. What happens during and after David's dinner party in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is speech used to indicate social class in "David Copperfield"? Providing specific examples from the text, which characters are evidence of this motif? What social classes are represented by differences in speech?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 3
How does David change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)