|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between David and Dora in Chapter 32?
2. What kind of stepfather is Mr. Murdstone?
3. How does Mr. Creakle run the school?
4. What student is first to return when the London school reopens after the holiday?
5. What is Mr. Murdstone doing when David runs into him in the midst of making his legal rounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David feel about Dora, and what does he worry about?
2. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
3. Describe David's job at Murdstones and Grindy.
4. Describe the two women that David tells Agnes about having crushes on in Chapter 18.
5. Describe the scene of David's birth.
6. What methods do the Murdstones use to break the spirits of the other people in the house?
7. What news does David learn when he visits Yarmouth in Chapter 30?
8. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
9. What does Ham tell David about Emily in Chapter 31?
10. How does Steerforth spend his time in Yarmouth in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (abuse of the weak, marriage equality, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the different characters?
Essay Topic 2
How would the story be different if David's mother had lived?
Essay Topic 3
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)