|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Agnes react to seeing David drunk?
2. What does David resolve to do to escape his horrible life?
3. Who does Agnes say is a bad influence on David?
4. Where does Mr. Murdstone arrange for David to work?
5. Who does David discuss his romantic problems with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the friendship between David and Steerforth.
2. What happens when David visits Dora's friend's house in London?
3. Describe the scene of David's birth.
4. Describe the interaction between Rosa Dartle and Steerforth in Chapter 29.
5. Why is David anxious about returning to school?
6. What happens during and after David's dinner party in Chapter 24?
7. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
8. How does Mrs. Steerforth react to learning her son has run away with Emily?
9. How does Mr. Wickfield influence David's life in Chapter 15?
10. What do you think about Miss Betsey's conversation with the Murdstones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good or evil?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty? How are characters viewed based on their pecuniary successes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Agnes and Dora. How are their relationships with David similar and different?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)