|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Murdstone arrange for David to work?
2. Where does David live when he goes to London to work?
3. What does Miss Betsey decide to do about David?
4. What does David often do while staying in Yarmouth?
5. Why does David sell most of his clothes on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when David tries to improve Dora's thinking?
2. What does David learn about Traddles when he returns to London in Chapter 59?
3. While David visits Traddles, who arrives and what do they tell David?
4. What do you think about Miss Betsey's conversation with the Murdstones?
5. Why does David's mother die, and how/when does David find out?
6. What happens when David arrives at Salem House?
7. How do the other characters feel about Mr. Murdstone?
8. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
9. What happens during and after David's dinner party in Chapter 24?
10. What happens when David visits Dora's friend's house in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does social class play in "David Copperfield"? What different classes are represented, and by which characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does David change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 3
How is speech used to indicate social class in "David Copperfield"? Providing specific examples from the text, which characters are evidence of this motif? What social classes are represented by differences in speech?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)