|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does David serve as apprentice under by Miss Betsey's arrangement?
2. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son?
3. Why is Emily being let out of her apprenticeship?
4. When Mr. Dick visits David at school, what does he tell David has frightened Miss Betsey?
5. Whose presence disturbs David while he stays at the Wickfields' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David anxious about returning to school?
2. Before David leaves Canterbury, what does Agnes tell him?
3. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
4. How does Steerforth spend his time in Yarmouth in Chapter 22?
5. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
6. How do the other characters feel about Mr. Murdstone?
7. Describe David's job at Murdstones and Grindy.
8. Describe the two women that David tells Agnes about having crushes on in Chapter 18.
9. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
10. How does David feel about Dora, and what does he worry about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would the story be different if David's mother had lived?
Essay Topic 2
Dickens published this novel in twenty installments. How does this structure affect the way in which the story is told?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Agnes and Dora. How are their relationships with David similar and different?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)