|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does David serve as apprentice under by Miss Betsey's arrangement?
2. What does Peggotty object to?
3. What is Mr. Murdstone doing when David runs into him in the midst of making his legal rounds?
4. Who comes to stay with David's family?
5. When is Peggotty fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two women that David tells Agnes about having crushes on in Chapter 18.
2. What happens during and after David's dinner party in Chapter 24?
3. What happens when David visits Dora's friend's house in London?
4. How does Steerforth spend his time in Yarmouth in Chapter 22?
5. What news does David learn when he visits Yarmouth in Chapter 30?
6. What does Ham tell David about Emily in Chapter 31?
7. What happens immediately after David's mother's funeral?
8. How does David feel about Dora, and what does he worry about?
9. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
10. How does Mr. Wickfield influence David's life in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways can Miss Betsey be seen as a hero in the novel? Who does she save, and how?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (abuse of the weak, marriage equality, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the different characters?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is the motif of mothers and mother figures used in "David Copperfield"? Which characters act in this type of position, and how do they affect the novel and the other characters in the novel?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)