|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the simple act of placing the Strongs' hands together accomplish?
(a) Mrs. Strong faints.
(b) They decide to get a divorce.
(c) Sets off the emotional scene that has been building for many years.
(d) Dr. Strong realizes that he hates his wife.
2. What happens with Emily in Chapter 51?
(a) Emily reveals that she is pregnant.
(b) Emily runs away from Mr. Peggotty.
(c) Emily shares her story about what has happened since she ran away.
(d) Emily does not appear in Chapter 51.
3. After the paperwork is settled in Chapter 52, what does everyone decide to do?
(a) Sue Uriah Heep.
(b) Take a vacation.
(c) Move to Australia.
(d) Pay the passage for the Micawbers to move to Australia and start a new life.
4. What is the major problem in David and Dora's marriage?
(a) David loves Agnes.
(b) Dora's inability to do anything practical.
(c) Dora loves Steerforth.
(d) Dora is unable to get pregnant.
5. Who senses the unhappiness of Dr. and Mrs. Strong in Chapter 45 and wants to help?
(b) Mr. Dick.
(c) Jack Maldon.
(d) Mr. Micawber.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies while attempting to rescue another man during the storm in Chapter 55?
2. What does David hope will make Dora become more serious?
3. Why does Miss Betsey send David to Dover to attend to some business for her?
4. What is the status of Dora's illness in Chapter 53?
5. In Chapter 64, the narrator reveals that all of the characters are happy except which one?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosa Dartle react to Steerforth's death?
2. What happens when David tries to improve Dora's thinking?
3. What does Miss Betsey tell David about the strange man in Chapter 47?
4. In Chapter 42, what is revealed about Jack Maldon, and how does Dr. Strong react?
5. In Chapter 36, who finds work, and what work do they find?
6. How does David manage to meet with Dora in Chapter 41?
7. Who travels in Chapter 57, and where do they go?
8. What does David hear about Agnes in Chapter 60?
9. What does David learn about Traddles when he returns to London in Chapter 59?
10. How does Dora react when David tells her of his poverty?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)