|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes preparations to go to Australia in Chapter 55?
(a) The Micawbers.
(b) Mr. Peggotty and Emily.
(c) David and Agnes.
(d) Miss Betsey and Mr. Dick.
2. In Chapter 64, the narrator reveals that all of the characters are happy except which one?
(b) Mrs. Steerforth.
(d) Rosa Dartle.
3. What is the major problem in David and Dora's marriage?
(a) Dora loves Steerforth.
(b) Dora's inability to do anything practical.
(c) David loves Agnes.
(d) Dora is unable to get pregnant.
4. What does David refrain from telling the Micawbers, Mr. Peggotty, and Emily about in Chapter 57?
(a) That he wishes they would stay.
(b) How much he misses Dora.
(c) His love for Agnes.
(d) Ham and Steerforth's deaths.
5. Why does David refrain from telling Agnes that he loves her in Chapter 60?
(a) He does tell her that he loves her.
(b) He is scared that she will return his feelings.
(c) He decides that he does not love her.
(d) He feels he must sacrifice his love in order to preserve their friendship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Betsey tell David at the end of Chapter 54?
2. What happens with Emily in Chapter 51?
3. How does Emily learn of Ham's death?
4. Who senses the unhappiness of Dr. and Mrs. Strong in Chapter 45 and wants to help?
5. After the paperwork is settled in Chapter 52, what does everyone decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 42, what is revealed about Jack Maldon, and how does Dr. Strong react?
2. What happens when David sees Ham in Chapter 55?
3. How does Dora react when David tells her of his poverty?
4. How does Mr. Peggotty's visit in Chapter 63 tie up the loose ends of the novel?
5. In Chapter 36, who finds work, and what work do they find?
6. What does David realize in Chapter 58?
7. How does Rosa Dartle react to Steerforth's death?
8. After learning of his newly impoverished state, what does David decide to do, and what happens as a result?
9. Who travels in Chapter 57, and where do they go?
10. What does Littimer tell David in Chapter 46?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)