|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies while attempting to rescue another man during the storm in Chapter 55?
2. Who permits David to see Dora in Chapter 41?
(a) Dora's friend.
(b) Her aunts.
(d) Mr. Spenlow.
3. What career move does David make in Chapter 48?
(a) He takes orders and becomes a member of the clergy.
(b) He gives up on having a career.
(c) He returns to school to become a lawyer.
(d) He publishes his first novel, and it is very successful.
4. How does Dora's father react to the relationship between David and Dora?
(a) Congratulates them.
(b) Dies of shock.
(c) Announces his intentions to marry Miss Murdstone.
(d) Demands David break off the relationship immediately.
5. What does Miss Betsey hint to David in Chapter 60?
(a) That Agnes may have a suitor.
(b) That Miss Betsey is going to marry Mr. Dick.
(c) Miss Betsey does not appear in Chapter 60.
(d) That Agnes will marry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does David attribute all of his good fortune?
2. Who does Mr. Micawber blame for many of his troubles in Chapter 49?
3. Where does David first return after his travels abroad?
4. Who makes preparations to go to Australia in Chapter 55?
5. Where does Maldon invite Mrs. Strong in Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. After learning of his newly impoverished state, what does David decide to do, and what happens as a result?
2. How does Rosa Dartle react to Steerforth's death?
3. When David visits Agnes in Chapter 39, why does Mrs. Heep follow them around?
4. How does the action in Chapter 64 sum up the lives of all the characters in "David Copperfield"?
5. Describe Emily's adventures after leaving home.
6. How does Mr. Dick help Dr. and Mrs. Strong, and what is the result?
7. What does Mrs. Micawber tell David in Chapter 49?
8. What happens when David sees Ham in Chapter 55?
9. Who travels in Chapter 57, and where do they go?
10. What happens when David tries to improve Dora's thinking?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)