|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Murdstones arrive at Miss Betsey's house and express their intentions to treat David as they wish, what does Miss Betsey tell them?
(a) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones that they should beat David for running away.
(b) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones that she will kill them if they do not leave immediately.
(c) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones to take David away immediately.
(d) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones that they will not ruin David as they ruined his mother.
2. Who comes to stay with David's family?
(a) Miss Betsey, David's great aunt.
(b) Steerforth, David's friend.
(c) Miss Murdstone, Mr. Murdstone's sister.
(d) Mr. Creakle, the headmaster from Salem House.
3. Why does David make legal rounds in Chapter 33?
(a) To find an adoptive family for Emily's illegitimate baby.
(b) To execute Barkis' will and settle Peggotty's finances.
(c) To arrange his marriage to Dora.
(d) To sue Steerforth for running away with Emily.
4. Why is the suspicious person at Steerforth's house unable to obtain information from David?
(a) He does provide information.
(b) He is stubborn.
(c) He has none to offer.
(d) He does not want to tell her.
5. What kind of stepfather is Mr. Murdstone?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does David run into when he and Agnes attend a dinner party?
2. Where is Jack Maldon going away to work?
3. Why does David go to Yarmouth?
4. What student is first to return when the London school reopens after the holiday?
5. What does Miss Betsey suggest that David become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when David arrives at Salem House?
2. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
3. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
4. Describe David's dinner party in Chapter 28.
5. What methods do the Murdstones use to break the spirits of the other people in the house?
6. Describe David's job at Murdstones and Grindy.
7. How does Mrs. Steerforth react to learning her son has run away with Emily?
8. How does Steerforth spend his time in Yarmouth in Chapter 22?
9. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
10. What happens when David finally arrives at Miss Betsey's house?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)