|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Murdstone doing when David runs into him in the midst of making his legal rounds?
(a) Drinking heavily.
(b) Searching for his sister.
(c) Crying over the way he treated David's mother.
(d) Applying for a marriage license.
2. How does Agnes react to seeing David drunk?
(a) She tells him that she loves him.
(b) She is angry and convinces him to go home.
(c) She cries herself to sleep.
(d) She slaps him and refuses to speak to him.
3. What idea does David express as he leaves Steerforth's house in Chapter 29?
(a) That Mrs. Steerforth is a bad person.
(b) That he will never see Steerforth again.
(c) That Rosa Dartle loves Steerforth.
(d) That Littimer belongs in prison.
4. Why does David find the London school closed?
(a) It caught on fire.
(b) It has been condemned.
(c) It is summer.
(d) Holiday period.
5. What about David's birth offends his great aunt, Miss Betsey Trotwood?
(a) The fact that he is ugly.
(b) David cries when Miss Betsey holds him.
(c) His mother asks Miss Betsey to leave.
(d) The fact that he is not a girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David resolve to do to escape his horrible life?
2. Who helps execute Barkis' will?
3. Who does David have a crush on in Yarmouth?
4. During David's tea outing, who passes the house so that David is forced to introduce him to his hosts?
5. Who does Ham see talking with Emily in town before she runs away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ham tell David about Emily in Chapter 31?
2. How do the other characters feel about Mr. Murdstone?
3. What happens when David is having tea with the Heeps?
4. What happens immediately after David's mother's funeral?
5. Describe the interaction between Rosa Dartle and Steerforth in Chapter 29.
6. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
7. Describe the scene of David's birth.
8. What methods do the Murdstones use to break the spirits of the other people in the house?
9. Describe the friendship between David and Steerforth.
10. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)