|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do David and Steerforth help each other?
(a) David helps Steerforth in school, and Steerforth helps David find dates.
(b) They do not help each other.
(c) By sneaking out at night.
(d) David tells Steerforth stories nightly, and Steerforth helps David with difficult assignments.
2. Where does Miss Betsey decide to send David to school?
(c) Salem House.
3. Where does David live when he goes to London to work?
(a) In a spare room belonging to the Micawber family.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) With Steerforth.
(d) With the Wickfields.
4. What happens when Miss Betsey privately speaks with a man on the street who obviously disturbs her?
(a) She slaps the man.
(b) She does not talk to a man on the street who obviously disturbs her.
(c) She cries to David about it.
(d) She returns agitated, with most of the money in her purse gone.
5. Who does Steerforth insult so badly that this person resigns his post immediately?
(a) Mr. Creakle.
(d) Mr. Mell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Steerforth's butler?
2. When Miss Betsey visits David in Chapter 34, what does she tell him?
3. Why is Emily being let out of her apprenticeship?
4. How long after his father's death is David born?
5. What happens between David and Dora in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David's mother die, and how/when does David find out?
2. Describe the state of Tommy Traddles' affairs in Chapter 27.
3. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
4. How does Mrs. Steerforth feel about her son in Chapter 20?
5. Describe the scene of David's birth.
6. How does Mr. Wickfield influence David's life in Chapter 15?
7. What happens when David visits Dora's friend's house in London?
8. Describe David's dinner party in Chapter 28.
9. How do the other characters feel about Mr. Murdstone?
10. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)