|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Miss Betsey suggest that David visit after he finishes school?
(a) Mr. Murdstone.
2. What does David learn on his birthday?
(a) That his mother has died.
(b) That his baby brother has died.
(c) That he is being expelled from Salem House.
(d) That his father is still alive.
3. Where does David live when he goes to London to work?
(a) In a spare room belonging to the Micawber family.
(b) With Steerforth.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) With the Wickfields.
4. Who is the headmaster at David's new school while he stays with the Wickfields?
(a) Dr. Strong.
(b) Uriah Heep.
(c) Mr. Murdstone.
(d) Mr. Creakle.
5. Why does Littimer bring Miss Mowcher to Steerforth?
(a) To tell Steerforth gossip about David.
(b) To gossip with Steerforth.
(c) To be Steerforth's friend.
(d) To give Steerforth a hair treatment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David make legal rounds in Chapter 33?
2. When the Murdstones arrive at Miss Betsey's house and express their intentions to treat David as they wish, what does Miss Betsey tell them?
3. Where does Mr. Murdstone arrange for David to work?
4. What does Peggotty object to?
5. When Ham arrives at the Peggotty home without Emily, what does he secretly tell David?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens immediately after David's mother's funeral?
2. Why does David's mother die, and how/when does David find out?
3. What happens when David visits Dora's friend's house in London?
4. What happens when David arrives at Salem House?
5. How does Mrs. Steerforth react to learning her son has run away with Emily?
6. While David visits Traddles, who arrives and what do they tell David?
7. How does Steerforth spend his time in Yarmouth in Chapter 22?
8. What does Miss Betsey suggest David pursue as a career, and why?
9. What methods do the Murdstones use to break the spirits of the other people in the house?
10. How does Littimer make David feel?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)