|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emily being let out of her apprenticeship?
(a) Because she asks nicely.
(b) Because she is bad at dressmaking.
(c) Because she is getting married.
(d) Because she is pregnant.
2. What does Miss Betsey decide to do about David?
(a) Send him home with the Murdstones.
(b) Beat him.
(c) Accept him as her ward.
(d) Kick him out on the street.
3. What happens between David and Dora in Chapter 32?
(a) They establish a secret courtship, and he buys her an engagement ring.
(b) They decide to murder Mr. Spenlow.
(c) They elope.
(d) They get into an argument and decide never to speak to one another again.
4. Who meets David and Steerforth in London?
(d) Miss Betsey.
5. What does David resolve to do to escape his horrible life?
(a) Run away and find his aunt, Miss Betsey Trotwood.
(b) To commit suicide.
(c) To become very educated and find a better job.
(d) To flee to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps execute Barkis' will?
2. When the doctor arrives, what does he bring news about?
3. Who begins to court David's mother?
4. In Chapter 13, where does David head toward?
5. What happens when Miss Betsey privately speaks with a man on the street who obviously disturbs her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before David leaves Canterbury, what does Agnes tell him?
2. How does David feel about Dora, and what does he worry about?
3. What happens when David visits Dora's friend's house in London?
4. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
5. Describe David's dinner party in Chapter 28.
6. What does Ham tell David about Emily in Chapter 31?
7. What news does David learn when he visits Yarmouth in Chapter 30?
8. What happens when David finally arrives at Miss Betsey's house?
9. Describe the two women that David tells Agnes about having crushes on in Chapter 18.
10. Describe David's job at Murdstones and Grindy.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)