|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Spenlow celebrate David's official apprenticeship?
(a) By giving him money.
(b) By offering to let him marry Mr. Spenlow's daughter.
(c) By sending him to prison.
(d) By inviting him to spend the weekend at his house and introducing David to his daughter, Dora.
2. How is David's mother's health affected by her marriage?
(a) It is not.
(b) She gets diabetes.
(c) She falls into bad health and seems unlikely to recover.
(d) She has a heart attack.
3. What does Mrs. Steerforth state when David, Peggotty, and Mr. Peggotty visit her?
(a) She hopes they find Emily.
(b) She has no pity for Mr. Peggotty; her son will never marry Emily, and she will never speak to Steerforth again until he renounces Emily.
(c) She disowns her son for his licentious behavior.
(d) She blames David.
4. Where does Steerforth stay while in Yarmouth?
(a) An inn.
(b) On the street.
(c) The Rookery.
(d) With Peggotty's family.
5. What does Miss Betsey tell Mr. Murdstone in a letter?
(a) That she wants to marry him.
(b) That David is staying with her.
(c) That she hates him.
(d) That he needs to come get David.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David make legal rounds in Chapter 33?
2. Who helps execute Barkis' will?
3. Who does Agnes say is a bad influence on David?
4. Where does David live when he goes to London to work?
5. What boarding school does David attend in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ham tell David about Emily in Chapter 31?
2. What happens when David tries to improve Dora's thinking?
3. What is the major problem that David discovers about his marriage to Dora in Chapter 44?
4. What happens when David confronts Agnes in Chapter 62?
5. In Chapter 36, who finds work, and what work do they find?
6. Describe the scene of David's birth.
7. What happens when David sees Ham in Chapter 55?
8. Describe the conversation between David and Agnes in Chapter 25.
9. Describe the two women that David tells Agnes about having crushes on in Chapter 18.
10. Describe Emily's adventures after leaving home.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)