|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David realize in Chapter 58?
(a) That he wants to die.
(b) That he truly loves Agnes.
(c) That Mr. Murdstone was not a bad stepfather.
(d) That he hates his job.
2. Who dies while attempting to rescue another man during the storm in Chapter 55?
3. What does David learn when he visits Dr. Strong?
(a) That Dora has gotten married.
(b) That Jack Maldon has returned from India.
(c) That Dr. Strong is divorcing Mrs. Strong.
(d) That Dr. Strong does not like David.
4. Who travels with the Micawbers, Mr. Peggotty, and Emily in Chapter 57?
(b) Miss Betsey.
5. What is Mr. Micawber's position in Australia?
(a) He is a writer.
(b) He is in jail for debt again.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He has been elected to a local government office.
6. What does David work on in Chapter 61?
(a) Finishing a book.
(b) Saving for a house.
(c) Buying an engagement ring for Agnes.
(d) His will.
7. Who makes preparations to go to Australia in Chapter 55?
(a) The Micawbers.
(b) David and Agnes.
(c) Mr. Peggotty and Emily.
(d) Miss Betsey and Mr. Dick.
8. Who senses the unhappiness of Dr. and Mrs. Strong in Chapter 45 and wants to help?
(b) Jack Maldon.
(c) Mr. Micawber.
(d) Mr. Dick.
9. What does Miss Betsey tell David at the end of Chapter 54?
(a) Her husband has truly died.
(b) She is in love with Mr. Dick.
(c) She is going to marry Mr. Wickfield.
(d) She is proud of him.
10. What career move does David make in Chapter 48?
(a) He publishes his first novel, and it is very successful.
(b) He returns to school to become a lawyer.
(c) He takes orders and becomes a member of the clergy.
(d) He gives up on having a career.
11. What does Miss Betsey explain to David in Chapter 47?
(a) She explains that the man is her husband that everyone believes is dead who betrayed her and appears occasionally to demand money.
(b) She explains that the man is her son that she renounced for marrying an unworthy woman.
(c) She explains that the man knows a deep secret and is blackmailing her.
(d) She does not explain anything.
12. Where does Maldon invite Mrs. Strong in Chapter 36?
(b) The opera.
(d) The beach.
13. Who does David see when he returns late to his aunt's house in Chapter 47?
(b) Uriah Heep.
(c) Mr. Micawber.
(d) The same man that was bothering her in London.
14. What happens when Steerforth decides that he is done with Emily and suggests she marry Littimer?
(a) Littimer refuses and returns to Steerforth's house.
(b) She marries Littimer.
(c) Steerforth slaps her.
(d) She refuses and runs away.
15. Who finds work as Uriah Heep's clerk in Canterbury?
(b) Mr. Wickfield.
(c) Mr. Dick.
(d) Mr. Micawber.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dora stop communicating with David in Chapter 38?
2. What is taken to Mrs. Steerforth in Chapter 56?
3. Who does David first visit when he returns after his travels abroad?
4. What is the major problem in David and Dora's marriage?
5. How does Dora's father find out about the relationship between David and Dora?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)