|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does David live after he returns from his travel abroad?
(a) In a hotel in Canterbury.
(b) With Miss Betsey in Dover.
(c) In a rented room in London.
(d) In a cottage in Yarmouth.
2. How does Rosa Dartle react to Steerforth's death?
(a) She is glad he is dead.
(b) She declares her love for Steerforth and her anger at Mrs. Steerforth for making him what he was.
(c) She admits that she is pregnant with Steerforth's child.
(d) She commits suicide.
3. Who permits David to see Dora in Chapter 41?
(a) Dora's friend.
(b) Mr. Spenlow.
(d) Her aunts.
4. In Chapter 50, who summons David and takes him to a rooming house in London?
(c) Rosa Dartle.
5. Why does David refrain from telling Agnes that he loves her in Chapter 60?
(a) He decides that he does not love her.
(b) He feels he must sacrifice his love in order to preserve their friendship.
(c) He does tell her that he loves her.
(d) He is scared that she will return his feelings.
6. Where does Maldon invite Mrs. Strong in Chapter 36?
(a) The opera.
(b) The beach.
7. What does Mrs. Strong say that worries David in Chapter 45?
(a) Dora is cheating on David.
(b) Marrying for money is intelligent.
(c) Two people with different outlooks on life can never be happily married.
(d) Mrs. Strong is in love with David.
8. To what does David attribute all of his good fortune?
(b) Miss Betsey.
9. What does David learn when he visits Dr. Strong?
(a) That Dr. Strong is divorcing Mrs. Strong.
(b) That Dora has gotten married.
(c) That Jack Maldon has returned from India.
(d) That Dr. Strong does not like David.
10. How does Dora's father find out about the relationship between David and Dora?
(a) He intercepts a letter between David and Dora.
(b) David tells him.
(c) Through Miss Murdstone's snooping.
(d) Dora tells him.
11. How does Emily learn of Ham's death?
(a) Ham's mother writes her a letter.
(b) In a newspaper.
(c) David tells her.
(d) The captain of the ship on the way to Australia tells her.
12. When do the last two chapters of the novel take place in relation to the previous chapters?
(a) Two days.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Ten years later.
(d) Five months.
13. Who does Miss Dartle confront in Chapter 50?
(b) Mrs. Micawber.
(c) Dr. Strong.
14. Why does Dora state that it is better for her to die now?
(a) Because David still loves her, whereas in ten years he would grow bitter because she will never improve and become a better wife.
(b) Because she misses her father.
(c) Because she is tired of living.
(d) Because she hates her husband.
15. Where does David first return after his travels abroad?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does David first visit when he returns after his travels abroad?
2. Who are the most penitent prisoners at Mr. Creakle's experimental prison?
3. In Chapter 64, the narrator reveals that all of the characters are happy except which one?
4. Who finds work as Uriah Heep's clerk in Canterbury?
5. Who dies while attempting to rescue another man during the storm in Chapter 55?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)