|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major event occurs in Chapter 43?
(a) Steerforth reappears.
(b) Dora dies.
(c) Miss Betsey renounces David.
(d) David marries Dora.
2. What is David unable to share with Dora?
(a) His money.
(b) His family and friends.
(c) His thoughts and feelings.
(d) His love.
3. What does David hope will make Dora become more serious?
(a) Having a baby.
(b) Nothing, ever.
(c) Getting a job.
(d) Getting a divorce.
4. Who tells David about what is going on with Steerforth and Emily in Chapter 46?
(c) Rosa Dartle.
5. How does Rosa Dartle react to Steerforth's death?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She declares her love for Steerforth and her anger at Mrs. Steerforth for making him what he was.
(c) She admits that she is pregnant with Steerforth's child.
(d) She is glad he is dead.
6. When do the last two chapters of the novel take place in relation to the previous chapters?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Ten years later.
(c) Five months.
(d) Two days.
7. What does David ask Agnes to promise in Chapter 39?
(a) That she will not marry Uriah Heep out of duty to her father.
(b) To move to Australia to escape Uriah Heep.
(c) To marry Uriah Heep to help her father.
(d) To marry him if things do not work out with Dora.
8. What does Miss Betsey explain to David in Chapter 47?
(a) She does not explain anything.
(b) She explains that the man knows a deep secret and is blackmailing her.
(c) She explains that the man is her husband that everyone believes is dead who betrayed her and appears occasionally to demand money.
(d) She explains that the man is her son that she renounced for marrying an unworthy woman.
9. How does Agnes react when David confronts her about her possible suitor?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) She says that they are better off as friends.
(c) She tells him that she never wants to see him again.
(d) She confesses that she has always loved him.
10. What does Uriah Heep tell Mr. Wickfield in Chapter 39?
(a) His jealousy of David.
(b) He has eloped with Agnes.
(c) He is poor.
(d) His intentions to marry Agnes.
11. Who drops hints about a relationship between Mrs. Strong and Jack Maldon?
(a) Dr. Strong.
(c) Uriah Heep.
(d) Jack Maldon.
12. What revives David in Chapter 58?
(a) A letter from Agnes.
(b) Running into Traddles.
(c) A glass of cold water.
(d) Finding Dora's wedding ring.
13. What delays David from delivering a letter to Emily from Ham?
(a) A robbery.
(b) A terrible sea storm.
(c) An illness.
(d) A broken down horse.
14. Who seems to follow David and Agnes around when they try to talk about Dora?
(a) Mr. Wickfield.
(b) Mrs. Heep.
(d) Uriah Heep.
15. What worries Agnes in Chapter 35?
(a) Her pending wedding to Uriah Heep.
(b) Uriah Heep's influence over her father.
(c) David's drunken behavior.
(d) David's love for Dora.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David earn extra money in Chapter 43?
2. What does David work on in Chapter 61?
3. Who makes preparations to go to Australia in Chapter 55?
4. What does David realize in Chapter 44?
5. Why does Dora stop communicating with David in Chapter 38?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)