|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David learn when he visits Dr. Strong?
(a) That Jack Maldon has returned from India.
(b) That Dora has gotten married.
(c) That Dr. Strong is divorcing Mrs. Strong.
(d) That Dr. Strong does not like David.
2. Why does Miss Betsey send David to Dover to attend to some business for her?
(a) To see Dora.
(b) She does not want to be around him.
(c) To visit Agnes.
(d) In hopes of cheering David up.
3. What does David learn about Mr. Murdstone in Chapter 59?
(a) That he wants to apologize to David for his past cruelty.
(b) That he has died.
(c) That he has many children.
(d) That he has succeeded in crushing his second wife's spirit.
4. After the paperwork is settled in Chapter 52, what does everyone decide to do?
(a) Sue Uriah Heep.
(b) Take a vacation.
(c) Pay the passage for the Micawbers to move to Australia and start a new life.
(d) Move to Australia.
5. How does Rosa Dartle react to Steerforth's death?
(a) She declares her love for Steerforth and her anger at Mrs. Steerforth for making him what he was.
(b) She admits that she is pregnant with Steerforth's child.
(c) She is glad he is dead.
(d) She commits suicide.
6. Where does Maldon invite Mrs. Strong in Chapter 36?
(a) The opera.
(c) The beach.
7. How does Dora's father find out about the relationship between David and Dora?
(a) He intercepts a letter between David and Dora.
(b) Through Miss Murdstone's snooping.
(c) Dora tells him.
(d) David tells him.
8. What happens with Emily in Chapter 51?
(a) Emily runs away from Mr. Peggotty.
(b) Emily does not appear in Chapter 51.
(c) Emily shares her story about what has happened since she ran away.
(d) Emily reveals that she is pregnant.
9. When do the last two chapters of the novel take place in relation to the previous chapters?
(a) Five months.
(b) Ten years later.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Two days.
10. What happens when David takes Agnes to meet Dora?
(a) David decides that he cannot be friends with Agnes anymore.
(b) David realizes that he loves Agnes, not Dora.
(c) The two women hate each other.
(d) The two women strike up a strong friendship.
11. Where does everyone gather to hear Mr. Micawber's evidence in Chapter 52?
(a) David's house.
(b) Debtor's Prison.
(c) Miss Betsey's house.
(d) The Wickfield house.
12. What major event occurs in Chapter 43?
(a) Steerforth reappears.
(b) Miss Betsey renounces David.
(c) David marries Dora.
(d) Dora dies.
13. Why does Dora stop communicating with David in Chapter 38?
(a) She marries someone else.
(b) She does not stop communicating with David.
(c) She does not want to hurt her father.
(d) She is grief stricken over her father's death.
14. How does David feel about his relationship with Dora?
(b) He has no relationship with Dora.
15. How does David feel he must act due to his financial status in Chapter 35?
(a) Resign from his apprenticeship and tell Dora that he is poor.
(b) Stop associating with his aunt.
(c) Marry a rich woman for her money.
(d) Move to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David refrain from telling Agnes that he loves her in Chapter 60?
2. Who does Dr. Strong blame for his wife's affair?
3. What is taken to Mrs. Steerforth in Chapter 56?
4. What happens when David tries to improve Dora's thinking in Chapter 48?
5. What career move does David make in Chapter 48?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)