|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emily learn of Ham's death?
(a) David tells her.
(b) In a newspaper.
(c) Ham's mother writes her a letter.
(d) The captain of the ship on the way to Australia tells her.
2. What is the major problem in David and Dora's marriage?
(a) David loves Agnes.
(b) Dora's inability to do anything practical.
(c) Dora loves Steerforth.
(d) Dora is unable to get pregnant.
3. What does David hope will make Dora become more serious?
(a) Getting a divorce.
(b) Getting a job.
(c) Nothing, ever.
(d) Having a baby.
4. Who does Mr. Micawber present evidence against in Chapter 52?
(a) Mr. Wickfield.
(b) Mr. Dick.
(d) Uriah Heep.
5. How long does David wander aimlessly through Europe before returning home?
(a) Twenty-seven years.
(b) Several years.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five months.
6. What major event occurs in Chapter 43?
(a) Steerforth reappears.
(b) David marries Dora.
(c) Miss Betsey renounces David.
(d) Dora dies.
7. Who permits David to see Dora in Chapter 41?
(a) Mr. Spenlow.
(b) Dora's friend.
(d) Her aunts.
8. After Miss Betsey loses her fortune, what does Agnes suggest David do for work?
(a) Build houses.
(b) Write books.
(c) Accept being poor.
(d) Work as a private secretary for Dr. Strong.
9. Who makes preparations to go to Australia in Chapter 55?
(a) Miss Betsey and Mr. Dick.
(b) The Micawbers.
(c) David and Agnes.
(d) Mr. Peggotty and Emily.
10. How does David earn extra money in Chapter 43?
(a) By marrying Dora.
(b) By blackmailing Uriah Heep.
(c) By blackmailing Jack Maldon.
(d) By beginning a literary career.
11. Who senses the unhappiness of Dr. and Mrs. Strong in Chapter 45 and wants to help?
(a) Jack Maldon.
(b) Mr. Micawber.
(d) Mr. Dick.
12. What happens with Emily in Chapter 51?
(a) Emily reveals that she is pregnant.
(b) Emily shares her story about what has happened since she ran away.
(c) Emily runs away from Mr. Peggotty.
(d) Emily does not appear in Chapter 51.
13. Why does Miss Betsey send David to Dover to attend to some business for her?
(a) To see Dora.
(b) To visit Agnes.
(c) She does not want to be around him.
(d) In hopes of cheering David up.
14. Where does David first return after his travels abroad?
15. In Chapter 64, the narrator reveals that all of the characters are happy except which one?
(b) Mrs. Steerforth.
(d) Rosa Dartle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David refrain from telling the Micawbers, Mr. Peggotty, and Emily about in Chapter 57?
2. What is David unable to share with Dora?
3. What does David realize in Chapter 44?
4. What does David work on in Chapter 61?
5. Why does Dora stop communicating with David in Chapter 38?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)