|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David work on in Chapter 61?
(a) Saving for a house.
(b) Buying an engagement ring for Agnes.
(c) His will.
(d) Finishing a book.
2. Who is an attempt made to rescue in Chapter 55?
3. When do the last two chapters of the novel take place in relation to the previous chapters?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Ten years later.
(c) Five months.
(d) Two days.
4. Who seems to follow David and Agnes around when they try to talk about Dora?
(a) Uriah Heep.
(b) Mr. Wickfield.
(c) Mrs. Heep.
5. Why does Dora faint?
(a) David tells her that he is going to marry someone else.
(b) She is sick.
(c) David asks her about budgeting and cooking.
(d) Mr. Spenlow catches David and Dora together.
6. What does David learn about Mr. Murdstone in Chapter 59?
(a) That he wants to apologize to David for his past cruelty.
(b) That he has died.
(c) That he has succeeded in crushing his second wife's spirit.
(d) That he has many children.
7. What does Miss Betsey hint to David in Chapter 60?
(a) That Agnes may have a suitor.
(b) That Miss Betsey is going to marry Mr. Dick.
(c) Miss Betsey does not appear in Chapter 60.
(d) That Agnes will marry him.
8. How does David feel about his relationship with Dora?
(d) He has no relationship with Dora.
9. What is Mr. Micawber's position in Australia?
(a) He is a lawyer.
(b) He has been elected to a local government office.
(c) He is in jail for debt again.
(d) He is a writer.
10. What does David realize in Chapter 44?
(a) That he loves another woman.
(b) That Dora will never be a true partner for him.
(c) That Dora loves another man.
(d) That Dora is ugly.
11. How does Emily learn of Ham's death?
(a) In a newspaper.
(b) The captain of the ship on the way to Australia tells her.
(c) Ham's mother writes her a letter.
(d) David tells her.
12. Who travels with the Micawbers, Mr. Peggotty, and Emily in Chapter 57?
(b) Miss Betsey.
13. What does David buy with his extra income in Chapter 43?
(a) A small cottage.
(b) A new horse.
(c) An engagement ring.
(d) An apprenticeship.
14. Who do David, Miss Betsey, Mr. Dick, and Traddles meet in Chapter 52?
(b) Mr. Micawber.
(c) Uriah Heep.
(d) Mr. Wickfield.
15. Why does Dora state that it is better for her to die now?
(a) Because she hates her husband.
(b) Because she misses her father.
(c) Because David still loves her, whereas in ten years he would grow bitter because she will never improve and become a better wife.
(d) Because she is tired of living.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the status of Dora's illness in Chapter 53?
2. In Chapter 46, as David passes the Steerforth house, who asks to speak with him?
3. How does David feel he must act due to his financial status in Chapter 35?
4. After Miss Betsey loses her fortune, what does Agnes suggest David do for work?
5. What does Mrs. Strong say that worries David in Chapter 45?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)