|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does David first visit when he returns after his travels abroad?
(a) Miss Betsey.
(d) Mrs. Steerforth.
2. How does Dora react when she learns of the change in David's financial circumstances?
(a) She tells him that she loves him too much for financial matters to concern her.
(b) She tells him that she is marrying someone else.
(c) She breaks off their engagement.
(d) She begs David never to mention poverty or hard work to her again.
3. Who hits Uriah Heep?
(a) Jack Maldon.
(b) Dr. Strong.
(d) Mrs. Strong.
4. Who receives a letter from Mrs. Micawber detailing Mr. Micawber's violent and secretive behavior?
(a) Mr. Dick.
(b) Miss Betsey.
5. In Chapter 46, as David passes the Steerforth house, who asks to speak with him?
(b) Mrs. Steerforth.
(c) Miss Dartle.
6. How long does David wander aimlessly through Europe before returning home?
(a) Five months.
(b) Two days.
(c) Several years.
(d) Twenty-seven years.
7. Why does Miss Betsey send David to Dover to attend to some business for her?
(a) To see Dora.
(b) She does not want to be around him.
(c) To visit Agnes.
(d) In hopes of cheering David up.
8. What is David unable to share with Dora?
(a) His love.
(b) His thoughts and feelings.
(c) His family and friends.
(d) His money.
9. Where does Maldon invite Mrs. Strong in Chapter 36?
(c) The opera.
(d) The beach.
10. How does David feel he must act due to his financial status in Chapter 35?
(a) Move to America.
(b) Marry a rich woman for her money.
(c) Stop associating with his aunt.
(d) Resign from his apprenticeship and tell Dora that he is poor.
11. What is the major problem in David and Dora's marriage?
(a) David loves Agnes.
(b) Dora is unable to get pregnant.
(c) Dora's inability to do anything practical.
(d) Dora loves Steerforth.
12. Where do David, Miss Betsey, Mr. Dick, and Traddles go in Chapter 52?
13. Why does David refrain from telling Agnes that he loves her in Chapter 60?
(a) He is scared that she will return his feelings.
(b) He feels he must sacrifice his love in order to preserve their friendship.
(c) He decides that he does not love her.
(d) He does tell her that he loves her.
14. Who tells David about what is going on with Steerforth and Emily in Chapter 46?
(d) Rosa Dartle.
15. What happens when David tries to improve Dora's thinking in Chapter 48?
(a) Her thinking is improved.
(b) She divorces him.
(c) She gets mad at him.
(d) Her thinking is worsened.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does David see when he returns late to his aunt's house in Chapter 47?
2. Where does David first return after his travels abroad?
3. Who does Mr. Micawber blame for many of his troubles in Chapter 49?
4. Who permits David to see Dora in Chapter 41?
5. What does David hope will make Dora become more serious?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)