|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David ask Agnes to promise in Chapter 39?
(a) To move to Australia to escape Uriah Heep.
(b) To marry Uriah Heep to help her father.
(c) That she will not marry Uriah Heep out of duty to her father.
(d) To marry him if things do not work out with Dora.
2. Where does David go after tending to his aunt's business in Dover?
3. Who tells David about what is going on with Steerforth and Emily in Chapter 46?
(d) Rosa Dartle.
4. What does Mrs. Strong say that worries David in Chapter 45?
(a) Dora is cheating on David.
(b) Two people with different outlooks on life can never be happily married.
(c) Mrs. Strong is in love with David.
(d) Marrying for money is intelligent.
5. What does David assume about his relationship with Agnes?
(a) That they will live happily ever after.
(b) That they can only be friends.
(c) David does not have a relationship with Agnes at this point.
(d) That they will never speak again.
6. How does David earn extra money in Chapter 43?
(a) By blackmailing Jack Maldon.
(b) By marrying Dora.
(c) By beginning a literary career.
(d) By blackmailing Uriah Heep.
7. Who does David first visit when he returns after his travels abroad?
(b) Miss Betsey.
(d) Mrs. Steerforth.
8. What is the major problem in David and Dora's marriage?
(a) David loves Agnes.
(b) Dora loves Steerforth.
(c) Dora is unable to get pregnant.
(d) Dora's inability to do anything practical.
9. Why does David refrain from telling Agnes that he loves her in Chapter 60?
(a) He feels he must sacrifice his love in order to preserve their friendship.
(b) He is scared that she will return his feelings.
(c) He decides that he does not love her.
(d) He does tell her that he loves her.
10. Who drops hints about a relationship between Mrs. Strong and Jack Maldon?
(a) Jack Maldon.
(b) Dr. Strong.
(d) Uriah Heep.
11. Who do Mr. Peggotty and David search for in hopes of learning more information about Emily in Chapter 47?
(d) Rosa Dartle.
12. How does Dora react when she learns of the change in David's financial circumstances?
(a) She tells him that she loves him too much for financial matters to concern her.
(b) She breaks off their engagement.
(c) She begs David never to mention poverty or hard work to her again.
(d) She tells him that she is marrying someone else.
13. Who is an attempt made to rescue in Chapter 55?
14. What does David buy with his extra income in Chapter 43?
(a) An apprenticeship.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A small cottage.
(d) An engagement ring.
15. How does Agnes react when David confronts her about her possible suitor?
(a) She confesses that she has always loved him.
(b) She tells him that she never wants to see him again.
(c) She says that they are better off as friends.
(d) She slaps him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David hope will make Dora become more serious?
2. What career move does David make in Chapter 48?
3. What does David learn about Mr. Murdstone in Chapter 59?
4. What does David learn when he visits Dr. Strong?
5. What does David realize in Chapter 44?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)