|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Miss Betsey privately speaks with a man on the street who obviously disturbs her?
(a) She cries to David about it.
(b) She returns agitated, with most of the money in her purse gone.
(c) She slaps the man.
(d) She does not talk to a man on the street who obviously disturbs her.
2. Where has Steerforth come from when he arrives after David's dinner party with the Micawbers and Traddles?
3. Why is Emily being let out of her apprenticeship?
(a) Because she asks nicely.
(b) Because she is getting married.
(c) Because she is pregnant.
(d) Because she is bad at dressmaking.
4. What does Emily's uncle, Mr. Peggotty, decide to do when Emily runs away?
(a) Move to Australia.
(b) Go to London with David to try to find Emily.
(c) Get married.
(d) Forget about Emily.
5. How does Mr. Creakle run the school?
(a) Mr. Creakle does not run the school.
(b) With his wife's help.
(c) Kindly with all of his students loving him.
(d) By inspiring fear in his students.
6. Who does Agnes say is a bad influence on David?
(c) Mr. Murdstone.
(d) Mr. Wickfield.
7. What does David learn about Emily shortly after arriving in Yarmouth?
(a) She is engaged.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has been apprenticed to the tailor shop as a dressmaker.
(d) She has died.
8. What does David find when he returns home for the holidays?
(a) Miss Betsey will adopt him.
(b) Mr. Murdstone is gone.
(c) His mother has given birth to another son.
(d) His mother is dead.
9. What student is first to return when the London school reopens after the holiday?
(a) Tommy Traddles.
10. Whose presence disturbs David while he stays at the Wickfields' house?
(b) Mrs. Wickfield.
(c) Mr. Wickfield.
(d) Uriah Heep, the clerk.
11. How does Agnes react to seeing David drunk?
(a) She slaps him and refuses to speak to him.
(b) She is angry and convinces him to go home.
(c) She tells him that she loves him.
(d) She cries herself to sleep.
12. What happens between David and Dora in Chapter 32?
(a) They elope.
(b) They establish a secret courtship, and he buys her an engagement ring.
(c) They get into an argument and decide never to speak to one another again.
(d) They decide to murder Mr. Spenlow.
13. How does David do in school?
(a) David does poorly in school.
(b) David is expelled from school.
(c) David does well in school.
(d) David drops out of school.
14. What does David learn on his birthday?
(a) That his mother has died.
(b) That his baby brother has died.
(c) That he is being expelled from Salem House.
(d) That his father is still alive.
15. When Ham arrives at the Peggotty home without Emily, what does he secretly tell David?
(a) That he is interested in men.
(b) That he is not in love with Emily.
(c) That Emily has run away with another man.
(d) That Emily is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Littimer bring Miss Mowcher to Steerforth?
2. When Miss Mowcher arrives at the Peggotty house, what does she explain that she first suspected?
3. What is Mr. Murdstone doing when David runs into him in the midst of making his legal rounds?
4. Who meets David and Steerforth in London?
5. What does Miss Betsey tell Mr. Murdstone in a letter?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)