|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does David do in school?
(a) David drops out of school.
(b) David does poorly in school.
(c) David does well in school.
(d) David is expelled from school.
2. What does Emily's uncle, Mr. Peggotty, decide to do when Emily runs away?
(a) Get married.
(b) Go to London with David to try to find Emily.
(c) Forget about Emily.
(d) Move to Australia.
3. Why is the suspicious person at Steerforth's house unable to obtain information from David?
(a) He has none to offer.
(b) He does provide information.
(c) He does not want to tell her.
(d) He is stubborn.
4. What does Mrs. Steerforth state when David, Peggotty, and Mr. Peggotty visit her?
(a) She blames David.
(b) She has no pity for Mr. Peggotty; her son will never marry Emily, and she will never speak to Steerforth again until he renounces Emily.
(c) She hopes they find Emily.
(d) She disowns her son for his licentious behavior.
5. What student is first to return when the London school reopens after the holiday?
(a) Tommy Traddles.
6. What does David learn on his birthday?
(a) That his father is still alive.
(b) That his baby brother has died.
(c) That he is being expelled from Salem House.
(d) That his mother has died.
7. What is the name of the carriage driver who wants to marry Peggotty?
(a) Mr. Micawber.
(b) Mr. Barkis.
(c) Mr. Creakle.
(d) Mr. Murdstone.
8. Who does David re-encounter when he arrives in London?
9. How is David's mother's health affected by her marriage?
(a) It is not.
(b) She has a heart attack.
(c) She gets diabetes.
(d) She falls into bad health and seems unlikely to recover.
10. What kind of stepfather is Mr. Murdstone?
11. What does Miss Betsey decide to do about David?
(a) Accept him as her ward.
(b) Beat him.
(c) Send him home with the Murdstones.
(d) Kick him out on the street.
12. What does Mr. Creakle threaten his students with in order to retain order?
(a) Calling their parents.
(b) Not feeding them.
13. How long after his father's death is David born?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Four months.
(d) One day.
14. What does David learn about Emily shortly after arriving in Yarmouth?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She has been apprenticed to the tailor shop as a dressmaker.
(c) She has died.
(d) She is engaged.
15. Why does David go to Yarmouth?
(a) To find a wife.
(b) To visit his aunt.
(c) To go to school.
(d) To visit Peggotty's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peggotty object to?
2. Why does Mrs. Micawber suggest her husband take out an advertisement?
3. Who interrupts David's dinner party with the Micawbers and Traddles?
4. Who is Miss Betsey's lawyer?
5. Where does Mr. Murdstone arrange for David to work?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)