|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily's uncle, Mr. Peggotty, decide to do when Emily runs away?
(a) Forget about Emily.
(b) Get married.
(c) Go to London with David to try to find Emily.
(d) Move to Australia.
2. What announcement at Peggotty's home is interrupted by David and Steerforth's arrival?
(a) Emily is pregnant.
(b) Emily and Ham are engaged.
(c) Peggotty is getting married.
(d) Emily is moving to Australia.
3. How does David feel in his new lodgings with the Wickfields?
4. What does David resolve to do to escape his horrible life?
(a) To commit suicide.
(b) Run away and find his aunt, Miss Betsey Trotwood.
(c) To flee to America.
(d) To become very educated and find a better job.
5. Who does David have tea with?
(a) Uriah Heep and Heep's mother.
(b) Mr. Wickfield.
6. Who does David serve as apprentice under by Miss Betsey's arrangement?
(a) Mr. Wickfield.
(b) Mr. Spencer.
(c) Mr. Murdstone.
(d) Mr. Spenlow.
7. Where is Jack Maldon going away to work?
8. Why does Littimer bring Miss Mowcher to Steerforth?
(a) To give Steerforth a hair treatment.
(b) To be Steerforth's friend.
(c) To tell Steerforth gossip about David.
(d) To gossip with Steerforth.
9. Where does Miss Betsey decide to send David to school?
(a) Salem House.
10. What happens between David and Dora in Chapter 32?
(a) They elope.
(b) They decide to murder Mr. Spenlow.
(c) They establish a secret courtship, and he buys her an engagement ring.
(d) They get into an argument and decide never to speak to one another again.
11. How does Mr. Creakle run the school?
(a) Kindly with all of his students loving him.
(b) With his wife's help.
(c) By inspiring fear in his students.
(d) Mr. Creakle does not run the school.
12. Who comes to stay with David's family?
(a) Miss Betsey, David's great aunt.
(b) Miss Murdstone, Mr. Murdstone's sister.
(c) Steerforth, David's friend.
(d) Mr. Creakle, the headmaster from Salem House.
13. When Ham arrives at the Peggotty home without Emily, what does he secretly tell David?
(a) That he is interested in men.
(b) That Emily has run away with another man.
(c) That Emily is pregnant.
(d) That he is not in love with Emily.
14. What student is first to return when the London school reopens after the holiday?
(d) Tommy Traddles.
15. Who does David have a crush on in Yarmouth?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is suspicious about Steerforth at Steerforth's house?
2. How does Mr. Spenlow celebrate David's official apprenticeship?
3. Whose presence disturbs David while he stays at the Wickfields' house?
4. How does David feel about Dora?
5. Why does David sell most of his clothes on his journey?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)