|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is suspicious about Steerforth at Steerforth's house?
(a) Mrs. Steerforth.
(b) Rosa Dartle.
2. What happens between David and Dora in Chapter 32?
(a) They get into an argument and decide never to speak to one another again.
(b) They elope.
(c) They establish a secret courtship, and he buys her an engagement ring.
(d) They decide to murder Mr. Spenlow.
3. Where does Mr. Murdstone arrange for David to work?
(a) Debtor's Prison.
(b) A post office.
(c) A counting house in London.
(d) Mr. Wickfield's law office.
4. How do David and Steerforth help each other?
(a) David helps Steerforth in school, and Steerforth helps David find dates.
(b) David tells Steerforth stories nightly, and Steerforth helps David with difficult assignments.
(c) They do not help each other.
(d) By sneaking out at night.
5. What is the name of Steerforth's butler?
(d) Mr. Creakle.
6. Why does David sell most of his clothes on his journey?
(a) So no one will recognize him.
(b) To buy food.
(c) To buy a gift for his aunt.
(d) To buy new ones.
7. Why does Littimer bring Miss Mowcher to Steerforth?
(a) To tell Steerforth gossip about David.
(b) To gossip with Steerforth.
(c) To give Steerforth a hair treatment.
(d) To be Steerforth's friend.
8. What is Tommy Traddles studying for a career in?
9. Where is Jack Maldon going away to work?
10. Why do the Micawbers have to leave Plymouth?
(a) Because they cannot stop fighting with each other.
(b) They do not leave Plymouth.
(c) Because Mrs. Micawber's family is unable to provide financial assistance.
(d) Because they get kicked out of their house.
11. When Ham arrives at the Peggotty home without Emily, what does he secretly tell David?
(a) That Emily has run away with another man.
(b) That he is not in love with Emily.
(c) That he is interested in men.
(d) That Emily is pregnant.
12. Who is Tommy Traddles boarding with?
(b) The Peggotty family.
(d) The Micawber family.
13. Who meets David and Steerforth in London?
(d) Miss Betsey.
14. How does David do in school?
(a) David is expelled from school.
(b) David does well in school.
(c) David drops out of school.
(d) David does poorly in school.
15. Who does David discuss his romantic problems with?
(a) Mr. Dick.
(d) Miss Betsey.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the doctor arrives, what does he bring news about?
2. How does Mr. Spenlow celebrate David's official apprenticeship?
3. What does Emily's uncle, Mr. Peggotty, decide to do when Emily runs away?
4. Why does Steerforth want to accompany David to Yarmouth?
5. When the Murdstones arrive at Miss Betsey's house and express their intentions to treat David as they wish, what does Miss Betsey tell them?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)