|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Steerforth's butler?
(d) Mr. Creakle.
2. Who meets David and Steerforth in London?
(c) Miss Betsey.
3. Who does Miss Betsey suggest that David visit after he finishes school?
(d) Mr. Murdstone.
4. Where does Miss Betsey decide to send David to school?
(c) Salem House.
5. Two days later, how does David feel about his behavior to Agnes while he was drunk?
(a) He laughs about it.
(b) He does not care.
(c) He is embarrassed and seeks forgiveness.
(d) He never gets drunk.
6. Why is Emily being let out of her apprenticeship?
(a) Because she asks nicely.
(b) Because she is pregnant.
(c) Because she is getting married.
(d) Because she is bad at dressmaking.
7. Why does David go to Yarmouth?
(a) To visit his aunt.
(b) To visit Peggotty's family.
(c) To find a wife.
(d) To go to school.
8. Who visits David at his new lodgings after he obtains his apprenticeship?
9. What about David's birth offends his great aunt, Miss Betsey Trotwood?
(a) David cries when Miss Betsey holds him.
(b) His mother asks Miss Betsey to leave.
(c) The fact that he is not a girl.
(d) The fact that he is ugly.
10. How does Mr. Creakle run the school?
(a) Kindly with all of his students loving him.
(b) Mr. Creakle does not run the school.
(c) With his wife's help.
(d) By inspiring fear in his students.
11. Who comes to stay with David's family?
(a) Miss Murdstone, Mr. Murdstone's sister.
(b) Mr. Creakle, the headmaster from Salem House.
(c) Miss Betsey, David's great aunt.
(d) Steerforth, David's friend.
12. How is David's mother's health affected by her marriage?
(a) She gets diabetes.
(b) It is not.
(c) She has a heart attack.
(d) She falls into bad health and seems unlikely to recover.
13. How do David and Steerforth help each other?
(a) They do not help each other.
(b) David helps Steerforth in school, and Steerforth helps David find dates.
(c) By sneaking out at night.
(d) David tells Steerforth stories nightly, and Steerforth helps David with difficult assignments.
14. Why does Steerforth want to accompany David to Yarmouth?
(a) Because he needs to get away from his mother.
(b) Because it will be funny to see poor people in their natural environment.
(c) Because he wants to be with David as much as possible.
(d) Because he wants to marry Emily.
15. Who does David run into when he and Agnes attend a dinner party?
(b) Tommy Traddles.
(c) Uriah Heep.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miss Mowcher arrives at the Peggotty house, what does she explain that she first suspected?
2. Why does David find the London school closed?
3. Who does Miss Betsey allow to live with her to avoid being taken to a mental institution?
4. What student is first to return when the London school reopens after the holiday?
5. Who does David serve as apprentice under by Miss Betsey's arrangement?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)