|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peggotty object to?
(a) Working late.
(b) David going to school.
(c) Miss Betsey moving in.
(d) Mr. Murdstone courting David's mother.
2. How does David do in school?
(a) David does well in school.
(b) David is expelled from school.
(c) David does poorly in school.
(d) David drops out of school.
3. What does Dora's friend inform David of?
(a) That Dora is going to become a nun.
(b) That Dora is getting married to Steerforth.
(c) That Dora is going to visit her in London and he is welcome to visit as well.
(d) That David has no chance with Dora so he should just leave her alone.
4. What is Mr. Murdstone doing when David runs into him in the midst of making his legal rounds?
(a) Applying for a marriage license.
(b) Searching for his sister.
(c) Crying over the way he treated David's mother.
(d) Drinking heavily.
5. When the Murdstones arrive at Miss Betsey's house and express their intentions to treat David as they wish, what does Miss Betsey tell them?
(a) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones that they will not ruin David as they ruined his mother.
(b) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones to take David away immediately.
(c) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones that she will kill them if they do not leave immediately.
(d) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones that they should beat David for running away.
6. What does Miss Betsey decide to do about David?
(a) Kick him out on the street.
(b) Send him home with the Murdstones.
(c) Beat him.
(d) Accept him as her ward.
7. Who does Miss Betsey suggest that David visit after he finishes school?
(a) Mr. Murdstone.
8. Who does Miss Betsey allow to live with her to avoid being taken to a mental institution?
(b) Mr. Dick.
(c) Mr. Wickfield.
(d) Mr. Creakle.
9. Where does Steerforth stay while in Yarmouth?
(a) On the street.
(b) The Rookery.
(c) With Peggotty's family.
(d) An inn.
10. What does David resolve to do to escape his horrible life?
(a) To flee to America.
(b) Run away and find his aunt, Miss Betsey Trotwood.
(c) To become very educated and find a better job.
(d) To commit suicide.
11. Who comes to stay with David's family?
(a) Steerforth, David's friend.
(b) Miss Murdstone, Mr. Murdstone's sister.
(c) Miss Betsey, David's great aunt.
(d) Mr. Creakle, the headmaster from Salem House.
12. Who meets David and Steerforth in London?
(c) Miss Betsey.
13. Who interrupts David's dinner party with the Micawbers and Traddles?
(a) Miss Betsey.
(c) Mr. Dick.
14. Who is suspicious about Steerforth at Steerforth's house?
(b) Rosa Dartle.
(d) Mrs. Steerforth.
15. What does David learn about Emily shortly after arriving in Yarmouth?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She has died.
(c) She is engaged.
(d) She has been apprenticed to the tailor shop as a dressmaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Littimer bring Miss Mowcher to Steerforth?
2. In Chapter 13, where does David head toward?
3. Why does David sell most of his clothes on his journey?
4. Who does Steerforth insult so badly that this person resigns his post immediately?
5. Who does David discuss his romantic problems with?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)