|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets David and Steerforth in London?
(d) Miss Betsey.
2. What does David learn about Emily shortly after arriving in Yarmouth?
(a) She has died.
(b) She has been apprenticed to the tailor shop as a dressmaker.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is engaged.
3. Why does David find the London school closed?
(a) It has been condemned.
(b) It caught on fire.
(c) It is summer.
(d) Holiday period.
4. Who visits David at his new lodgings after he obtains his apprenticeship?
5. Where does Mr. Murdstone arrange for David to work?
(a) A post office.
(b) Mr. Wickfield's law office.
(c) A counting house in London.
(d) Debtor's Prison.
6. What does Agnes confess to being worried about before David leaves Canterbury?
(a) Her father's drinking problem and Uriah Heep's influence.
(b) Her dog and her cat.
(c) Her hair is falling out.
(d) Her job and her boyfriend.
7. What announcement at Peggotty's home is interrupted by David and Steerforth's arrival?
(a) Emily is moving to Australia.
(b) Peggotty is getting married.
(c) Emily is pregnant.
(d) Emily and Ham are engaged.
8. What happens when Miss Betsey privately speaks with a man on the street who obviously disturbs her?
(a) She cries to David about it.
(b) She returns agitated, with most of the money in her purse gone.
(c) She does not talk to a man on the street who obviously disturbs her.
(d) She slaps the man.
9. Who is Miss Betsey's lawyer?
(a) Mr. Wickfield.
(b) Mr. Creakle.
(c) Mr. Murdstone.
(d) Mr. Heep.
10. How does Mr. Creakle run the school?
(a) With his wife's help.
(b) Kindly with all of his students loving him.
(c) Mr. Creakle does not run the school.
(d) By inspiring fear in his students.
11. What does David try to do after finishing school?
(a) Buy a house.
(b) Have a child.
(c) Find a wife.
(d) Find a suitable career.
12. When the Murdstones arrive at Miss Betsey's house and express their intentions to treat David as they wish, what does Miss Betsey tell them?
(a) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones that they will not ruin David as they ruined his mother.
(b) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones to take David away immediately.
(c) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones that she will kill them if they do not leave immediately.
(d) Miss Betsey tells the Murdstones that they should beat David for running away.
13. When Mr. Dick visits David at school, what does he tell David has frightened Miss Betsey?
(a) A glass broke.
(b) A ghost.
(c) She thinks she is pregnant.
(d) The appearance of a strange man.
14. During David's tea outing, who passes the house so that David is forced to introduce him to his hosts?
(a) Mr. Creakle.
(b) Miss Betsey.
(c) Mr. Murdstone.
(d) Mr. Micawber.
15. Who does Tommy Traddles plan to marry?
(a) Dora, Mr. Spenlow's daughter.
(c) Sophie, the daughter of a country minister.
(d) Agnes, Mr. Wickfield's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does David live when he goes to London to work?
2. Who does Steerforth insult so badly that this person resigns his post immediately?
3. Who does Agnes say is a bad influence on David?
4. Where does David go in Chapter 30?
5. Why does Mrs. Micawber suggest her husband take out an advertisement?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)