|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emily being let out of her apprenticeship?
(a) Because she is getting married.
(b) Because she is pregnant.
(c) Because she is bad at dressmaking.
(d) Because she asks nicely.
2. What does Miss Betsey decide to do about David?
(a) Send him home with the Murdstones.
(b) Kick him out on the street.
(c) Accept him as her ward.
(d) Beat him.
3. Who does David run into when he and Agnes attend a dinner party?
(b) Tommy Traddles.
(d) Uriah Heep.
4. What student is first to return when the London school reopens after the holiday?
(d) Tommy Traddles.
5. What is the name of the carriage driver who wants to marry Peggotty?
(a) Mr. Creakle.
(b) Mr. Murdstone.
(c) Mr. Micawber.
(d) Mr. Barkis.
6. Why is the suspicious person at Steerforth's house unable to obtain information from David?
(a) He is stubborn.
(b) He does provide information.
(c) He has none to offer.
(d) He does not want to tell her.
7. What about David's birth offends his great aunt, Miss Betsey Trotwood?
(a) The fact that he is not a girl.
(b) David cries when Miss Betsey holds him.
(c) The fact that he is ugly.
(d) His mother asks Miss Betsey to leave.
8. Why does Littimer bring Miss Mowcher to Steerforth?
(a) To tell Steerforth gossip about David.
(b) To give Steerforth a hair treatment.
(c) To be Steerforth's friend.
(d) To gossip with Steerforth.
9. Why does Mrs. Micawber suggest her husband take out an advertisement?
(a) To find their missing daughter.
(b) To complain about Uriah Heep.
(c) To advertise his skill and ask for employment.
(d) To find a house.
10. How does Mr. Spenlow celebrate David's official apprenticeship?
(a) By offering to let him marry Mr. Spenlow's daughter.
(b) By sending him to prison.
(c) By giving him money.
(d) By inviting him to spend the weekend at his house and introducing David to his daughter, Dora.
11. How does David feel about Dora?
(a) He falls in love with her at first sight.
(b) He thinks she is beautiful but stupid.
(c) He is scared of her.
(d) He thinks she is ugly.
12. What kind of stepfather is Mr. Murdstone?
13. Who visits David at his new lodgings after he obtains his apprenticeship?
14. Why do the Micawbers have to leave Plymouth?
(a) Because Mrs. Micawber's family is unable to provide financial assistance.
(b) Because they cannot stop fighting with each other.
(c) Because they get kicked out of their house.
(d) They do not leave Plymouth.
15. What happens while David is in Yarmouth with Peggotty?
(a) His mother marries Mr. Murdstone.
(b) His mother has a baby.
(c) His aunt dies.
(d) He gets sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to become Agnes' father's business partner?
2. What idea does David express as he leaves Steerforth's house in Chapter 29?
3. Where is Jack Maldon going away to work?
4. When Ham arrives at the Peggotty home without Emily, what does he secretly tell David?
5. What does David often do while staying in Yarmouth?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)