|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Peggotty fired?
(a) After David's mother has another son.
(c) After Mr. Murdstone marries David's mother.
(d) After David's mother's funeral.
2. Where does David live when he goes to London to work?
(a) With Steerforth.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In a spare room belonging to the Micawber family.
(d) With the Wickfields.
3. Why does David go to Yarmouth?
(a) To visit his aunt.
(b) To find a wife.
(c) To go to school.
(d) To visit Peggotty's family.
4. What kind of stepfather is Mr. Murdstone?
5. Where does Steerforth stay while in Yarmouth?
(a) With Peggotty's family.
(b) The Rookery.
(c) On the street.
(d) An inn.
6. What does Agnes confess to being worried about before David leaves Canterbury?
(a) Her job and her boyfriend.
(b) Her father's drinking problem and Uriah Heep's influence.
(c) Her hair is falling out.
(d) Her dog and her cat.
7. What does David resolve to do to escape his horrible life?
(a) Run away and find his aunt, Miss Betsey Trotwood.
(b) To commit suicide.
(c) To flee to America.
(d) To become very educated and find a better job.
8. What happens while David is in Yarmouth with Peggotty?
(a) His mother marries Mr. Murdstone.
(b) He gets sick.
(c) His aunt dies.
(d) His mother has a baby.
9. When Ham arrives at the Peggotty home without Emily, what does he secretly tell David?
(a) That Emily has run away with another man.
(b) That he is interested in men.
(c) That Emily is pregnant.
(d) That he is not in love with Emily.
10. Who does David serve as apprentice under by Miss Betsey's arrangement?
(a) Mr. Spenlow.
(b) Mr. Murdstone.
(c) Mr. Wickfield.
(d) Mr. Spencer.
11. Who begins to court David's mother?
(a) Mr. Murdstone.
(b) Mr. Micawber.
(c) Mr. Creakle.
(d) Mr. Copperfield.
12. What is Mr. Murdstone doing when David runs into him in the midst of making his legal rounds?
(a) Searching for his sister.
(b) Crying over the way he treated David's mother.
(c) Drinking heavily.
(d) Applying for a marriage license.
13. What does David learn on his birthday?
(a) That he is being expelled from Salem House.
(b) That his father is still alive.
(c) That his baby brother has died.
(d) That his mother has died.
14. Why is Emily being let out of her apprenticeship?
(a) Because she is bad at dressmaking.
(b) Because she asks nicely.
(c) Because she is pregnant.
(d) Because she is getting married.
15. Who is the headmaster at David's new school while he stays with the Wickfields?
(a) Mr. Creakle.
(b) Uriah Heep.
(c) Dr. Strong.
(d) Mr. Murdstone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Steerforth's butler?
2. What announcement at Peggotty's home is interrupted by David and Steerforth's arrival?
3. Who does Agnes say is a bad influence on David?
4. What does Miss Betsey tell Mr. Murdstone in a letter?
5. Why is the suspicious person at Steerforth's house unable to obtain information from David?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)