Short Essay Questions Key
1. Describe the scene of David's birth.
2. How do the other characters feel about Mr. Murdstone?
3. What methods do the Murdstones use to break the spirits of the other people in the house?
4. What happens when David arrives at Salem House?
5. Describe the friendship between David and Steerforth.
6. Why does David's mother die, and how/when does David find out?
7. What happens immediately after David's mother's funeral?
8. Describe David's job at Murdstones and Grindy.
9. What happens when David finally arrives at Miss Betsey's house?
10. What do you think about Miss Betsey's conversation with the Murdstones?
11. How does Mr. Wickfield influence David's life in Chapter 15?
12. Why is David anxious about returning to school?
13. What happens when David is having tea with the Heeps?
14. Describe the two women that David tells Agnes about having crushes on in Chapter 18.
15. Before David leaves Canterbury, what does Agnes tell him?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)