|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who continues to visit Jacob after his public shame?
(a) His former landlord.
2. What illness is going around Chile when Rose and Jeremy arrive there?
3. Who says, "You have the eyes of a bitch in heat"?
(a) Tao Chi'en.
(b) Mama Fresia.
4. Where is Rose immediately sent when she and Karl are separated?
(a) To a convent.
(b) To her grandmother in London.
(c) To Chile to do missionary work.
(d) To her aunt in Scotland.
5. In which Chilean city do Jeremy and Rose live?
(a) Vina del Mar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when the news about gold reaches Chile?
2. How does Tao Chi'en get separated from his family?
3. Why does Jacob come to Chile?
4. What does Tao Chi'en give to Eliza to help her hide her identity?
5. Tao Chi'en comes from a family of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Jeremy does the right thing in interfering with Rose's love life?
2. Why does Tao Chi'en decide to help Eliza get on the boat to California?
3. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
4. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
5. Describe the roles of Tao Chi'en and each of his siblings in the family.
6. Why do Rose and John keep Eliza's parentage a secret from Jeremy?
7. Do Eliza and Joaquin logically make a good pair?
8. Why does Eliza feel comfortable in California?
9. Describe the kind of wife Tao Chi'en is looking for.
10. Does Tao Chi'en enjoy his work on the boat? Why or why not?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)