|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Tao Chi'en's sister when she dies?
(a) One year old.
(b) Eight years old.
(c) Two years old.
(d) One month old.
2. What is Joaquin's job?
(a) He is a reporter.
(b) He is a cook.
(c) He is a sea captain.
(d) He works at the import company.
3. Where does Eliza follow someone to when she is looking for a way onto the boat?
(a) Into a roadside shrine.
(b) Into a bar.
(c) Into a stranger's home.
(d) Into the ship's kitchen.
4. Where does Jacob get money while in Chile?
(a) He becomes romantically involved with a wealthy woman.
(b) He picks pockets.
(c) Acquaintances have set up bank accounts for him.
(d) He takes a job with Jeremy.
5. Where is Rose immediately sent when she and Karl are separated?
(a) To a convent.
(b) To her grandmother in London.
(c) To Chile to do missionary work.
(d) To her aunt in Scotland.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eliza board the ship?
2. What is Jeremy's brother's job?
3. What long lost city might have been found?
4. What is the name of the ship that Eliza boards?
5. When do Eliza and Joaquin kiss for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en when she visits him in "Joaquin"?
2. Describe Eliza's appearance as a baby and when she gets older.
3. What methods does Mama Fresia use to try to cure Eliza of being lovesick?
4. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
5. How does Rose begin to behave after she realizes her daughter has run away?
6. Describe Joaquin's childhood.
7. Do Eliza and Joaquin logically make a good pair?
8. Why don't Rose Sommers and Mama Fresia try to stop Eliza from delivering her letter to Joaquin?
9. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
10. When the zhong yi dies, why does Tao Chi'en want to get away from China?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)