|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Rose immediately sent when she and Karl are separated?
(a) To a convent.
(b) To her aunt in Scotland.
(c) To Chile to do missionary work.
(d) To her grandmother in London.
2. In which Chilean city do Jeremy and Rose live?
(a) Vina del Mar.
3. Who assigns the chaplain to go to Chile?
(a) The Chilean government.
(b) The Bank of London.
(c) The Catholic Church.
(d) The British Navy.
4. How does Tao Chi'en's master kill himself?
(a) He hangs himself.
(b) He stabs himself.
(c) By accident, after drinking too much alcohol.
(d) He swallows gold.
5. What is Joaquin's job?
(a) He works at the import company.
(b) He is a sea captain.
(c) He is a reporter.
(d) He is a cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Tao Chi'en when he gets separated from his family?
2. What does Rose ask two maids to do for Eliza?
3. What is the name of the man Paulina loves?
4. What is the name of the place where Jacob goes to have a drink?
5. Why does Eliza choose Wednesday to meet Joaquin?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the zhong yi dies, why does Tao Chi'en want to get away from China?
2. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en when she visits him in "Joaquin"?
3. Why does Rose's anger about Eliza's disappearance subside when she goes to talk with Joaquin's mother?
4. How does Jacob react when John tells him that Eliza has run off in search of her lover?
5. What does Jacob Todd think of Rose when he first meets her?
6. What character traits are listed that England and Chile share?
7. Why does Eliza begin to doubt that Joaquin Murieta was her lover, Joaquin?
8. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
9. Why does Eliza go by the name Elias Andieta?
10. Describe the roles of Tao Chi'en and each of his siblings in the family.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)