Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jeremy's brother's job?
(b) Sea captain.
2. Why does Paulina's father disapprove of her lover?
(a) His religious background is uncertain.
(b) He is a known criminal.
(c) He has no money.
(d) He is much older than her.
3. How old is the man that Rose introduces to Eliza?
4. What does Eliza think Joaquin's name is?
5. How does Tao Chi'en's sister die?
(a) She is murdered by debt collectors.
(b) She drowns in the bath.
(c) She cuts herself badly with a knife.
(d) She pulls a pot of boiling water on herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Joaquin in "Love"?
2. What month is it when Eliza first sees Joaquin?
3. Why does Jacob come to Chile?
4. Where does Eliza leave a letter for Rose?
5. On what night must Mama Fresia terminate Eliza's pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
2. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
3. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
4. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
5. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
6. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
7. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
8. Why don't Rose Sommers and Mama Fresia try to stop Eliza from delivering her letter to Joaquin?
9. Why has Rose never been married?
10. Why do the townspeople come to Joe's aid when her barn burns down?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)