|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession does Joaquin pursue at the age of fourteen?
(c) Law enforcement.
2. Why does Jacob decide to help Paulina?
(a) He is in love with her.
(b) She pays him.
(c) Her happy nature reminds him of Rose.
(d) She threatens to tell his secret.
3. Why does Eliza choose Wednesday to meet Joaquin?
(a) Rose will be at a friend's house.
(b) Rose is hosting a dance.
(c) Eliza is supposed to be at a friend's house that night.
(d) Everyone is at church.
4. Where does Eliza first see Joaquin?
(a) She sees him stealing cargo from John's ship.
(b) He comes to a party at the Sommers' house.
(c) When she sneaks out of the house and goes to a bar.
(d) When he makes a cargo delivery to the Sommers' house.
5. Tao Chi'en comes from a family of what?
(b) Land owners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hires John as the captain of a steamship?
2. What is the name of the place where Jacob goes to have a drink?
3. What is the profession of Jacob's new landlord?
4. What is the relationship of Jeremy and Rose?
5. What is Jeremy's brother named?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the ghost of Lin tell Tao Chi'en that he has to help Eliza when she becomes ill on the boat?
2. How does Joaquin respond when he is offered gifts or payments?
3. What does Jacob Todd think of Rose when he first meets her?
4. Why does Eliza feel comfortable in California?
5. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
6. Why do Rose and John keep Eliza's parentage a secret from Jeremy?
7. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en when she visits him in "Joaquin"?
8. Do you think Eliza truly feels like she is part of the Sommers family?
9. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
10. Describe Eliza's appearance as a baby and when she gets older.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)