|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a chaplain arrive in Valparaiso?
(a) To ask a favor of Jeremy.
(b) To woo Rose Sommers.
(c) To investigate Jacob's missionary work.
(d) To open a new Catholic Church.
2. When do Eliza and Joaquin kiss for the first time?
(a) On their fourth meeting.
(b) On their fifth meeting.
(c) On their second meeting.
(d) On their first meeting.
3. What does Joaquin want to change?
(a) The way women are treated in society.
(b) He wants all the English people to leave Chile.
(c) The conditions of working men.
(d) He wants Chile to gain independence.
4. What is Jeremy's job?
(a) He owns a restaurant.
(b) An importer.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A locksmith.
5. Who says: "You owe me satisfaction"?
(a) Rose's aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jeremy's brother's job?
2. Where has gold been discovered?
3. Who says: "The wise man is always joyful"?
4. Who says: "Eliza is not exactly a beauty"?
5. What is the relationship of Jeremy and Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tao Chi'en particularly interested in helping young sex slaves?
2. Which female character do you think most defies the typical role of women in society?
3. Does Tao Chi'en enjoy his work on the boat? Why or why not?
4. How does Rose's view for Eliza differ from Jeremy's?
5. How does Jacob react when John tells him that Eliza has run off in search of her lover?
6. Why does Eliza feel comfortable in California?
7. How does James feel about falling in love with a loose woman like Esther?
8. Why does Feliciano think it is pointless for Paulina to have a bank account in her name?
9. What does Jacob Todd think of Rose when he first meets her?
10. What is Eliza's reputation like at the brothel?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)