|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eliza learn from the woman who works for Jeremy and Rose?
(a) Farming skills.
(b) Sewing skills.
(c) Culinary skills.
(d) Cleaning skills.
2. Who is determined that Eliza will enroll in Madame Colbert's school?
3. How often do Eliza and Joaquin meet?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Every evening.
(d) Every morning.
4. When Rose is younger, what occupation does she want to have?
(d) Opera diva.
5. When Joaquin's mother asks him where he's been, how does he respond?
(a) He says he had to work late.
(b) He says he was protesting a factory.
(c) He says he was discovering love.
(d) He says he was out drinking with a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Joaquin supposed to meet Eliza in secret for the first time?
2. What is the name of the place where Jacob goes to have a drink?
3. What is Paulina's last name before she gets married?
4. What is the name of the ship that Eliza boards?
5. On what night must Mama Fresia terminate Eliza's pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rose's view for Eliza differ from Jeremy's?
2. Describe the roles of Tao Chi'en and each of his siblings in the family.
3. Why does the ghost of Lin tell Tao Chi'en that he has to help Eliza when she becomes ill on the boat?
4. How does John convince Jacob to go back to England with him?
5. How does Joaquin respond when he is offered gifts or payments?
6. Why does Tao Chi'en decide to help Eliza get on the boat to California?
7. How does Jacob react when John tells him that Eliza has run off in search of her lover?
8. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
9. Explain the roles of John, Jeremy, and Rose within the household.
10. Does Tao Chi'en enjoy his work on the boat? Why or why not?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)