|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who hires John as the captain of a steamship?
2. Who is determined that Eliza will enroll in Madame Colbert's school?
3. Why does Jacob decide to help Paulina?
(a) She threatens to tell his secret.
(b) She pays him.
(c) Her happy nature reminds him of Rose.
(d) He is in love with her.
4. Where does Eliza first see Joaquin?
(a) She sees him stealing cargo from John's ship.
(b) He comes to a party at the Sommers' house.
(c) When she sneaks out of the house and goes to a bar.
(d) When he makes a cargo delivery to the Sommers' house.
5. Who sends Eliza and Mama Fresia to administer healing methods?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeremy find in his bottle of brandy?
2. Where does Jacob live before coming to Chile?
3. How does Eliza board the ship?
4. Tao Chi'en goes to work for whom?
5. What long lost city might have been found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tao Chi'en particularly interested in helping young sex slaves?
2. Why does Agustin eventually allow Paulina to have a public wedding?
3. What does Jacob Todd think of Rose when he first meets her?
4. When the zhong yi dies, why does Tao Chi'en want to get away from China?
5. Why does Eliza begin to doubt that Joaquin Murieta was her lover, Joaquin?
6. What items does Eliza take with her to California?
7. Describe Joaquin's childhood.
8. How does John convince Jacob to go back to England with him?
9. Why does Paulina want John to be the captain of her steamship?
10. How does Rose begin to behave after she realizes her daughter has run away?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)