|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the name Tao mean?
2. Who says: "You must allow the man to feel superior"?
(d) Mama Fresia.
3. What does the bishop request when asking Paulina's father to work out an agreement for his daughter's wedding?
(c) A cigar.
(d) Hot chocolate.
4. How does Tao Chi'en's sister die?
(a) She cuts herself badly with a knife.
(b) She drowns in the bath.
(c) She pulls a pot of boiling water on herself.
(d) She is murdered by debt collectors.
5. Where is Rose when she is unexpectedly kissed?
(a) Sewing room.
(b) Her bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jacob decide to help Paulina?
2. Why does a chaplain arrive in Valparaiso?
3. Who says: "I am deranged. I do not know what is happening to me, never have I, never shall I, love anyone as I do you"?
4. What year is it when Jacob comes to Chile?
5. Tao Chi'en goes to work for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Jeremy does the right thing in interfering with Rose's love life?
2. Why does Agustin eventually allow Paulina to have a public wedding?
3. In what manner does Rose raise Eliza?
4. Why is Tao Chi'en treated decently by his first owner?
5. How does John convince Jacob to go back to England with him?
6. How does James feel about falling in love with a loose woman like Esther?
7. Why has Rose never been married?
8. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
9. How does Joaquin respond when he is offered gifts or payments?
10. Why does Tao Chi'en decide to help Eliza get on the boat to California?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)