|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jacob decide to help Paulina?
(a) She pays him.
(b) Her happy nature reminds him of Rose.
(c) He is in love with her.
(d) She threatens to tell his secret.
2. Who says: "The wise man is always joyful"?
(a) Tao Chi'en's mother.
(b) The sage.
(c) Tao Chi'en's father.
(d) Tao Chi'en.
3. How many siblings does Tao Chi'en have?
4. What is the profession of Jacob's new landlord?
5. What business venture does Paulina want to make?
(a) She wants to sell supplies to goldminers.
(b) She wants to open a hotel near the goldmines.
(c) She wants to buy and sell houses.
(d) She wants to buy a goldmine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughters does Agustin have?
2. How old is the man that Rose introduces to Eliza?
3. How long does Jacob have to complete his task in Chile?
4. How does Eliza let Joaquin know where and when to meet her?
5. Where is Joaquin supposed to meet Eliza in secret for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the roles of Tao Chi'en and each of his siblings in the family.
2. Describe Jacob Todd's living situation as he settles into Chile.
3. When the zhong yi dies, why does Tao Chi'en want to get away from China?
4. Does Tao Chi'en enjoy his work on the boat? Why or why not?
5. How does Eliza come to understand what Joaquin meant when he talked about freedom?
6. Why has Rose never been married?
7. Do Eliza and Joaquin logically make a good pair?
8. Why does Agustin eventually allow Paulina to have a public wedding?
9. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
10. What methods does Mama Fresia use to try to cure Eliza of being lovesick?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)