|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eliza let Joaquin know where and when to meet her?
(a) She tells him in person.
(b) She gives him a letter.
(c) She has a maid relay the message.
(d) She asks his coworker to tell him.
2. What does Rose ask two maids to do for Eliza?
(a) Make biscuits for her to give to suitors.
(b) Write love letters on her behalf.
(c) Prepare bouquets of flowers every day.
(d) Make her many dresses.
3. Where is Rose immediately sent when she and Karl are separated?
(a) To her aunt in Scotland.
(b) To her grandmother in London.
(c) To a convent.
(d) To Chile to do missionary work.
4. Who says: "You must allow the man to feel superior"?
(d) Mama Fresia.
5. Where does John's ship sail before going to England?
(a) Hong Kong.
(b) The United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jacob's last name?
2. Who is determined that Eliza will enroll in Madame Colbert's school?
3. How many daughters does Agustin have?
4. What task must Jacob complete in Chile?
5. When Joaquin's mother asks him where he's been, how does he respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the roles of Tao Chi'en and each of his siblings in the family.
2. Why does Rose's anger about Eliza's disappearance subside when she goes to talk with Joaquin's mother?
3. Why does Agustin eventually allow Paulina to have a public wedding?
4. Describe Jacob Todd's living situation as he settles into Chile.
5. What is Eliza's reputation like at the brothel?
6. Describe Eliza's appearance as a baby and when she gets older.
7. How does James feel about falling in love with a loose woman like Esther?
8. Why do you think Rose is set on Eliza finding a husband even though she has never wanted that life for herself?
9. What items does Eliza take with her to California?
10. In what manner does Rose raise Eliza?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)