|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in California does Eliza's boat dock?
(a) Santa Maria.
(b) Santa Cruz.
(c) San Diego.
(d) San Francisco.
2. After hearing about the success of Paulina's shipping line, other people, mentioned specifically in the novel, have tried to duplicate it by shipping what?
(a) Potatoes from Ireland.
(b) Coconuts from Hawaii.
(c) Pottery from China.
(d) Ice from Alaska.
3. What is the last name of the Joaquin that Eliza hears about?
4. How does Tao Chi'en make money?
(a) Working as a miner.
(b) Removing bullets and stitching knife wounds.
(c) Offering Eliza as a prostitute.
(d) Preparing and selling medicines.
5. Why must Eliza admit to Tao Chi'en that she is pregnant?
(a) She feels bad for lying.
(b) He notices how much bigger she looks.
(c) She is bleeding.
(d) She goes into labor.
6. What illness is sweeping the town where the brothel resides for the winter?
(a) Typhoid fever.
(b) Yellow fever.
7. Who says: "People come out west to escape the past and begin anew, but our obsessions pursue us, like the wind"?
(b) Tao Chi'en.
8. Why is no effort made to revive Tao Chi'en's dead baby?
(a) The baby is a girl.
(b) Tao Chi'en doesn't want the baby.
(c) The baby is deformed.
(d) The baby is a boy.
9. What is Eliza's role when she joins the traveling brothel?
(c) Piano player.
10. On what day does Rose always become ill?
(a) On the first day of spring.
(b) On the anniversary of the day Eliza left.
(c) On Christmas Day.
(d) On Eliza's birthday.
11. What must Eliza amputate from a man with gangrene?
12. What is the name of the ship Paulina owns?
13. How much time goes by before Rose realizes Eliza is missing?
(a) A week.
(b) A month.
(c) An hour.
(d) A day.
14. What does Eliza sell to make money when she arrives in California?
(b) Her jewelry.
15. Where is Babalu from?
(a) New York.
(d) St. Louis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says: "The woman very cleverly pawned her daughter off on us"?
2. What does Eliza bring for James and Esther at the end of "Singsong Girls"?
3. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en?
4. How does Eliza make money now that she's on her own?
5. Why is it impossible that Eliza left with Joaquin?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)