|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion does James follow?
2. How does Tao find out that Joaquin has been killed?
(a) He overhears a crowd talking about it.
(b) He receives a letter from Jacob.
(c) He reads it in the newspaper.
(d) Eliza tells him.
3. What color is the scarf Tao Chi'en's wife is wearing when she meets him?
4. Where does Tao Chi'en go to start a new life?
(b) Hong Kong.
5. When Tao Chi'en and Eliza arrive in California, what does he suggest she look for?
(a) Her Uncle John.
(b) A goldmine.
(c) The Chilean barrio.
(d) The Chinese barrio.
6. What is the name of Joaquin's gang member?
(a) Four-toe Mark.
(b) Balding Bart.
(c) One-armed Frank.
(d) Three-finger Jack.
7. What must Eliza amputate from a man with gangrene?
8. What name does Eliza go by as a boy?
9. Who does Eliza send letters to regularly?
(b) Mama Fresia.
(c) Tao Chi'en.
10. What does Eliza send to Rose from California when she realizes how much she misses her?
(a) Gold dust.
(b) A telegraph.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A scrapbook of her adventures.
11. Where is Babalu from?
(a) New York.
(b) St. Louis.
12. What does Tao Chi'en give to the person who helps Eliza?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A brooch.
(d) Ancient herbs.
13. How much time goes by before Rose realizes Eliza is missing?
(a) A month.
(b) A day.
(c) A week.
(d) An hour.
14. How much is Tao Chi'en paid after diagnosing the dead girl?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Tweny dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
15. What is the name of the traveling brothel's madam?
(b) Joe Bonecrusher.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a two year period working with Tao Chi'en, how many times does Eliza leave to look for Joaquin?
2. What does Tao Chi'en determine that a young prostitute died of?
3. Who says: "People come out west to escape the past and begin anew, but our obsessions pursue us, like the wind"?
4. What illness is sweeping the town where the brothel resides for the winter?
5. Why must Eliza admit to Tao Chi'en that she is pregnant?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)