|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tao Chi'en hope to do in California?
(a) Work at a restaurant.
(b) Get a permit to practice medicine.
(c) Find gold.
(d) Find a new Chinese wife.
2. What is Jacob's profession?
3. On what day does Rose always become ill?
(a) On Christmas Day.
(b) On the first day of spring.
(c) On Eliza's birthday.
(d) On the anniversary of the day Eliza left.
4. When Eliza is asking about Joaquin, she tells people he is her what?
5. How long does Jacob look for Joaquin?
(a) Six months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Two months.
6. What year is it when "Joaquin" begins?
7. Who says: "I thought there weren't any slaves in California"?
(a) A Chilean vendor.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) Tao Chi'en.
8. What is the last name of the Joaquin that Eliza hears about?
9. What is the name of the area where young girls are taken to be prepared to be sold?
(a) The Princess' Room.
(b) The Slave's Room.
(c) The Golden Room.
(d) The Queen's Room.
10. Who does Tao Chi'en get to help Eliza?
(a) Another stow away.
(b) A physician.
(c) Another cook.
(d) A prostitute.
11. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en?
(a) To make sure Eliza's baby is healthy.
(b) To forget Eliza and worry about himself.
(c) To keep Eliza healthy.
(d) To kill Eliza.
12. How does Eliza respond when Tao Chi'en asks her if the dead Joaquin is her Joaquin?
(a) She says she is not sure.
(b) She says she is angry.
(c) She says it is.
(d) She says she is free.
13. When Tao Chi'en and Eliza arrive in California, what does he suggest she look for?
(a) Her Uncle John.
(b) The Chinese barrio.
(c) The Chilean barrio.
(d) A goldmine.
14. What name does Eliza go by as a boy?
15. What does Tao Chi'en give to the person who helps Eliza?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) Ancient herbs.
(d) A brooch.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a two year period working with Tao Chi'en, how many times does Eliza leave to look for Joaquin?
2. What must Eliza amputate from a man with gangrene?
3. How do the people in the brothel survive the winter?
4. Why is it impossible that Eliza left with Joaquin?
5. Who bumps into Jacob during dinner?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)