|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tao Chi'en give to the person who helps Eliza?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A brooch.
(c) Ancient herbs.
2. What does Eliza sell to make money when she arrives in California?
(b) Her jewelry.
3. What name does Eliza go by as a boy?
4. When Tao Chi'en and Eliza arrive in California, what does he suggest she look for?
(a) The Chinese barrio.
(b) A goldmine.
(c) The Chilean barrio.
(d) Her Uncle John.
5. How does Tao find out that Joaquin has been killed?
(a) He reads it in the newspaper.
(b) Eliza tells him.
(c) He overhears a crowd talking about it.
(d) He receives a letter from Jacob.
6. Who is revealed to be Eliza's biological parent?
(b) Mama Fresia.
7. On what day does Rose always become ill?
(a) On the anniversary of the day Eliza left.
(b) On the first day of spring.
(c) On Christmas Day.
(d) On Eliza's birthday.
8. What is the first thing Tao Chi'en needs to do to establish himself?
(a) Find his parents.
(c) Set up a shop.
(d) Have a son.
9. What does Jacob change his last name to?
10. What does James do for a living?
11. What year is it when "Joaquin" begins?
12. Who does Eliza send letters to regularly?
(b) Mama Fresia.
(d) Tao Chi'en.
13. How much time goes by before Rose realizes Eliza is missing?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(c) An hour.
(d) A day.
14. Who says: "People come out west to escape the past and begin anew, but our obsessions pursue us, like the wind"?
(b) Tao Chi'en.
15. Who does Tao Chi'en say Eliza is?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His sister.
(c) His assistant.
(d) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in California does Eliza's boat dock?
2. How much is Tao Chi'en paid after diagnosing the dead girl?
3. Who says: "The woman very cleverly pawned her daughter off on us"?
4. What illness is sweeping the town where the brothel resides for the winter?
5. What is the name of the area where young girls are taken to be prepared to be sold?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)