|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must Eliza admit to Tao Chi'en that she is pregnant?
(a) He notices how much bigger she looks.
(b) She is bleeding.
(c) She goes into labor.
(d) She feels bad for lying.
2. What is Jacob's profession?
3. Where does Tao Chi'en go to start a new life?
(b) Hong Kong.
4. What does Tao Chi'en hope to do in California?
(a) Get a permit to practice medicine.
(b) Work at a restaurant.
(c) Find gold.
(d) Find a new Chinese wife.
5. How does Eliza make money now that she's on her own?
(a) She writes letters for illiterate miners.
(b) She mends clothing for the miners.
(c) She mines gold.
(d) She is still selling food.
6. Who does Tao Chi'en say Eliza is?
(a) His sister.
(b) His assistant.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His brother.
7. Who does Tao Chi'en get to help Eliza?
(a) A physician.
(b) Another stow away.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) Another cook.
8. What year is it when "Joaquin" begins?
9. What color is the scarf Tao Chi'en's wife is wearing when she meets him?
10. Why are Rose and John unable to track Mama Fresia?
(a) They don't know her last name.
(b) They think she is dead.
(c) She leaves them a fake note.
(d) She changes her name.
11. How much is Tao Chi'en paid after diagnosing the dead girl?
(a) Tweny dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
12. What does Eliza sell to make money when she arrives in California?
(c) Her jewelry.
13. How much time goes by before Rose realizes Eliza is missing?
(a) A month.
(b) An hour.
(c) A week.
(d) A day.
14. What is the name of the prostitute that finds love with James?
15. Who says: "The woman very cleverly pawned her daughter off on us"?
(b) Tao Chi'en.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Eliza amputate from a man with gangrene?
2. Who does Eliza send letters to regularly?
3. When Eliza is asking about Joaquin, she tells people he is her what?
4. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en?
5. What does Tao Chi'en determine that a young prostitute died of?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)