|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tao Chi'en say Eliza is?
(a) His brother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His assistant.
2. What is the last name of the Joaquin that Eliza hears about?
3. What illness is sweeping the town where the brothel resides for the winter?
(c) Yellow fever.
(d) Typhoid fever.
4. Where does Tao Chi'en go to start a new life?
(b) Hong Kong.
5. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en?
(a) To kill Eliza.
(b) To forget Eliza and worry about himself.
(c) To keep Eliza healthy.
(d) To make sure Eliza's baby is healthy.
6. What does Eliza sell to make money when she arrives in California?
(b) Her jewelry.
7. What item reveals Eliza's parentage?
(a) A ring.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A letter.
8. What does Eliza send to Rose from California when she realizes how much she misses her?
(a) Gold dust.
(b) A telegraph.
(c) A scrapbook of her adventures.
(d) A photograph.
9. Who does Tao Chi'en get to help Eliza?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) Another stow away.
(c) Another cook.
(d) A physician.
10. What does Tao Chi'en determine that a young prostitute died of?
(c) Knife wound.
11. What is the first thing Tao Chi'en needs to do to establish himself?
(a) Set up a shop.
(b) Find his parents.
(c) Have a son.
12. After hearing about the success of Paulina's shipping line, other people, mentioned specifically in the novel, have tried to duplicate it by shipping what?
(a) Pottery from China.
(b) Ice from Alaska.
(c) Coconuts from Hawaii.
(d) Potatoes from Ireland.
13. What religion does James follow?
14. What does Eliza bring for James and Esther at the end of "Singsong Girls"?
(a) A slice of pie.
(b) A few eggs.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A jar of jam.
15. How does Eliza respond when Tao Chi'en asks her if the dead Joaquin is her Joaquin?
(a) She says she is free.
(b) She says she is not sure.
(c) She says it is.
(d) She says she is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is no effort made to revive Tao Chi'en's dead baby?
2. When Eliza is asking about Joaquin, she tells people he is her what?
3. Why must Eliza admit to Tao Chi'en that she is pregnant?
4. What is Eliza's role when she joins the traveling brothel?
5. Who says: "I thought there weren't any slaves in California"?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)