|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day does Rose always become ill?
(a) On the first day of spring.
(b) On the anniversary of the day Eliza left.
(c) On Eliza's birthday.
(d) On Christmas Day.
2. What name does Eliza go by as a boy?
3. What does Tao Chi'en determine that a young prostitute died of?
(b) Knife wound.
4. How much is the reward for the head of Joaquin?
(a) Ten thousand dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
5. How much is Tao Chi'en paid after diagnosing the dead girl?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) Tweny dollars.
6. Who does Tao Chi'en say Eliza is?
(a) His sister.
(b) His assistant.
(c) His brother.
(d) His cousin.
7. How does Tao Chi'en make money?
(a) Preparing and selling medicines.
(b) Working as a miner.
(c) Offering Eliza as a prostitute.
(d) Removing bullets and stitching knife wounds.
8. Where does Tao Chi'en go to start a new life?
(d) Hong Kong.
9. Who does Tao Chi'en get to help Eliza?
(a) Another cook.
(b) Another stow away.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A physician.
10. When Tao Chi'en and Eliza arrive in California, what does he suggest she look for?
(a) The Chilean barrio.
(b) Her Uncle John.
(c) The Chinese barrio.
(d) A goldmine.
11. Where in California does Eliza's boat dock?
(a) San Diego.
(b) Santa Cruz.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Santa Maria.
12. Who sends word back to Rose that Eliza may still be alive?
(c) Tao Chi'en.
13. What is the name of the area where young girls are taken to be prepared to be sold?
(a) The Queen's Room.
(b) The Slave's Room.
(c) The Golden Room.
(d) The Princess' Room.
14. During a two year period working with Tao Chi'en, how many times does Eliza leave to look for Joaquin?
15. Why must Eliza admit to Tao Chi'en that she is pregnant?
(a) He notices how much bigger she looks.
(b) She goes into labor.
(c) She is bleeding.
(d) She feels bad for lying.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Eliza on the boat?
2. What is Jacob's profession?
3. What does Eliza send to Rose from California when she realizes how much she misses her?
4. What is the name of the women Tao Chi'en falls in love with?
5. After hearing about the success of Paulina's shipping line, other people, mentioned specifically in the novel, have tried to duplicate it by shipping what?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)