|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eliza respond when Tao Chi'en asks her if the dead Joaquin is her Joaquin?
(a) She says she is angry.
(b) She says it is.
(c) She says she is free.
(d) She says she is not sure.
2. How does Tao find out that Joaquin has been killed?
(a) Eliza tells him.
(b) He overhears a crowd talking about it.
(c) He reads it in the newspaper.
(d) He receives a letter from Jacob.
3. Who does Tao Chi'en get to help Eliza?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A physician.
(c) Another cook.
(d) Another stow away.
4. Why is it impossible that Eliza left with Joaquin?
(a) John would have noticed Eliza on the ship with Joaquin.
(b) He left for California long before she did.
(c) He has not left for California yet.
(d) He sent letters home for Eliza.
5. What does Tao Chi'en determine that a young prostitute died of?
(c) Knife wound.
6. How much is Tao Chi'en paid after diagnosing the dead girl?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Tweny dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Fifty dollars.
7. Who is revealed to be Eliza's biological parent?
(c) Mama Fresia.
8. How does Eliza make money now that she's on her own?
(a) She writes letters for illiterate miners.
(b) She mines gold.
(c) She mends clothing for the miners.
(d) She is still selling food.
9. What is the first thing Tao Chi'en needs to do to establish himself?
(a) Set up a shop.
(b) Have a son.
(c) Find his parents.
10. Why is no effort made to revive Tao Chi'en's dead baby?
(a) The baby is deformed.
(b) The baby is a girl.
(c) The baby is a boy.
(d) Tao Chi'en doesn't want the baby.
11. What illness is sweeping the town where the brothel resides for the winter?
(a) Yellow fever.
(d) Typhoid fever.
12. What year is it when "Joaquin" begins?
13. Where does Tao Chi'en go to start a new life?
(c) Hong Kong.
14. What is the name of the prostitute that finds love with James?
15. Who sends word back to Rose that Eliza may still be alive?
(a) Tao Chi'en.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship Paulina owns?
2. Why are Rose and John unable to track Mama Fresia?
3. What name does Eliza go by as a boy?
4. Who does Eliza send letters to regularly?
5. How long does Jacob look for Joaquin?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)