|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Eliza is asking about Joaquin, she tells people he is her what?
2. How long is Eliza on the boat?
(a) One month.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Four months.
3. When Lin's ghost appears to Tao Chi'en, what is she wearing?
(a) Turquoise ring.
(b) Ruby earrings.
(c) Green dress.
(d) White veil.
4. On what day does Rose always become ill?
(a) On the anniversary of the day Eliza left.
(b) On Eliza's birthday.
(c) On the first day of spring.
(d) On Christmas Day.
5. Who does Tao Chi'en say Eliza is?
(a) His sister.
(b) His brother.
(c) His assistant.
(d) His cousin.
6. What is the name of the women Tao Chi'en falls in love with?
7. What is Jacob's profession?
8. What is Eliza's plan if she doesn't find Joaquin?
(a) To continue traveling with the brothel.
(b) To move back to Chile.
(c) To go to China with Tao Chi'en.
(d) To open a restaurant in California.
9. Who does Tao Chi'en get to help Eliza?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) Another cook.
(c) Another stow away.
(d) A physician.
10. What is the name of the doctor that Tao Chi'en befriends?
11. What does Jacob change his last name to?
12. What is the name of Joaquin's gang member?
(a) Balding Bart.
(b) Three-finger Jack.
(c) Four-toe Mark.
(d) One-armed Frank.
13. What is the last name of the Joaquin that Eliza hears about?
14. How does Eliza make money now that she's on her own?
(a) She writes letters for illiterate miners.
(b) She mends clothing for the miners.
(c) She mines gold.
(d) She is still selling food.
15. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en?
(a) To forget Eliza and worry about himself.
(b) To kill Eliza.
(c) To make sure Eliza's baby is healthy.
(d) To keep Eliza healthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Tao Chi'en needs to do to establish himself?
2. Who sends word back to Rose that Eliza may still be alive?
3. What religion does James follow?
4. What does Eliza bring for James and Esther at the end of "Singsong Girls"?
5. What is the name of the traveling brothel's madam?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)