|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the traveling brothel's madam?
(c) Joe Bonecrusher.
2. How long does Jacob look for Joaquin?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Four months.
3. Who does Tao Chi'en say Eliza is?
(a) His brother.
(b) His assistant.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His sister.
4. When Tao Chi'en and Eliza arrive in California, what does he suggest she look for?
(a) The Chilean barrio.
(b) The Chinese barrio.
(c) Her Uncle John.
(d) A goldmine.
5. What does Tao Chi'en hope to do in California?
(a) Get a permit to practice medicine.
(b) Find a new Chinese wife.
(c) Find gold.
(d) Work at a restaurant.
6. What does James do for a living?
7. What is the last name of the Joaquin that Eliza hears about?
8. What is the name of Joaquin's gang member?
(a) Balding Bart.
(b) One-armed Frank.
(c) Three-finger Jack.
(d) Four-toe Mark.
9. Who does Eliza send letters to regularly?
(a) Mama Fresia.
(c) Tao Chi'en.
10. After hearing about the success of Paulina's shipping line, other people, mentioned specifically in the novel, have tried to duplicate it by shipping what?
(a) Potatoes from Ireland.
(b) Pottery from China.
(c) Coconuts from Hawaii.
(d) Ice from Alaska.
11. What is Eliza's plan if she doesn't find Joaquin?
(a) To open a restaurant in California.
(b) To continue traveling with the brothel.
(c) To move back to Chile.
(d) To go to China with Tao Chi'en.
12. What is the name of the area where young girls are taken to be prepared to be sold?
(a) The Golden Room.
(b) The Princess' Room.
(c) The Queen's Room.
(d) The Slave's Room.
13. Why is no effort made to revive Tao Chi'en's dead baby?
(a) The baby is deformed.
(b) Tao Chi'en doesn't want the baby.
(c) The baby is a girl.
(d) The baby is a boy.
14. How does Tao find out that Joaquin has been killed?
(a) He receives a letter from Jacob.
(b) Eliza tells him.
(c) He reads it in the newspaper.
(d) He overhears a crowd talking about it.
15. What does Tao Chi'en determine that a young prostitute died of?
(a) Knife wound.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the scarf Tao Chi'en's wife is wearing when she meets him?
2. What is the name of the women Tao Chi'en falls in love with?
3. On what day does Rose always become ill?
4. What does Eliza send to Rose from California when she realizes how much she misses her?
5. What illness is sweeping the town where the brothel resides for the winter?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)