|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says: "I thought there weren't any slaves in California"?
(a) Tao Chi'en.
(b) A Chilean vendor.
(d) A prostitute.
2. What is Jacob's profession?
3. How long does Jacob look for Joaquin?
(a) Four months.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Six months.
4. Who does Tao Chi'en get to help Eliza?
(a) Another cook.
(b) Another stow away.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A physician.
5. How much is Tao Chi'en paid after diagnosing the dead girl?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) Tweny dollars.
6. What is the name of Joaquin's gang member?
(a) Four-toe Mark.
(b) Three-finger Jack.
(c) One-armed Frank.
(d) Balding Bart.
7. Why is it impossible that Eliza left with Joaquin?
(a) He has not left for California yet.
(b) He left for California long before she did.
(c) John would have noticed Eliza on the ship with Joaquin.
(d) He sent letters home for Eliza.
8. What is the name of the ship Paulina owns?
9. How long is Eliza on the boat?
(a) Six months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Two months.
(d) One month.
10. How does Tao Chi'en make money?
(a) Offering Eliza as a prostitute.
(b) Preparing and selling medicines.
(c) Removing bullets and stitching knife wounds.
(d) Working as a miner.
11. What is the name of the prostitute that finds love with James?
12. What is Eliza's plan if she doesn't find Joaquin?
(a) To move back to Chile.
(b) To open a restaurant in California.
(c) To go to China with Tao Chi'en.
(d) To continue traveling with the brothel.
13. How does Tao find out that Joaquin has been killed?
(a) He receives a letter from Jacob.
(b) Eliza tells him.
(c) He overhears a crowd talking about it.
(d) He reads it in the newspaper.
14. When Lin's ghost appears to Tao Chi'en, what is she wearing?
(a) Ruby earrings.
(b) White veil.
(c) Green dress.
(d) Turquoise ring.
15. What color is the scarf Tao Chi'en's wife is wearing when she meets him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tao Chi'en say Eliza is?
2. Where in California does Eliza's boat dock?
3. When Tao Chi'en and Eliza arrive in California, what does he suggest she look for?
4. On what day does Rose always become ill?
5. How much time goes by before Rose realizes Eliza is missing?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)