|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says: "The woman very cleverly pawned her daughter off on us"?
(a) Tao Chi'en.
2. What religion does James follow?
3. What item reveals Eliza's parentage?
(a) A letter.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A ring.
4. Why must Eliza admit to Tao Chi'en that she is pregnant?
(a) He notices how much bigger she looks.
(b) She feels bad for lying.
(c) She goes into labor.
(d) She is bleeding.
5. What is Eliza's plan if she doesn't find Joaquin?
(a) To go to China with Tao Chi'en.
(b) To move back to Chile.
(c) To continue traveling with the brothel.
(d) To open a restaurant in California.
6. How do the people in the brothel survive the winter?
(a) They rent a barn to live in.
(b) They get another wagon.
(c) They merge with another brothel.
(d) Eliza heals their illnesses.
7. What does Tao Chi'en give to the person who helps Eliza?
(b) Ancient herbs.
(c) A brooch.
(d) A pearl necklace.
8. How does Eliza respond when Tao Chi'en asks her if the dead Joaquin is her Joaquin?
(a) She says she is free.
(b) She says it is.
(c) She says she is angry.
(d) She says she is not sure.
9. What name does Eliza go by as a boy?
10. After hearing about the success of Paulina's shipping line, other people, mentioned specifically in the novel, have tried to duplicate it by shipping what?
(a) Potatoes from Ireland.
(b) Pottery from China.
(c) Ice from Alaska.
(d) Coconuts from Hawaii.
11. During a two year period working with Tao Chi'en, how many times does Eliza leave to look for Joaquin?
12. How much is Tao Chi'en paid after diagnosing the dead girl?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Tweny dollars.
13. What is the name of the area where young girls are taken to be prepared to be sold?
(a) The Princess' Room.
(b) The Slave's Room.
(c) The Golden Room.
(d) The Queen's Room.
14. What is the name of the prostitute that finds love with James?
15. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en?
(a) To make sure Eliza's baby is healthy.
(b) To keep Eliza healthy.
(c) To kill Eliza.
(d) To forget Eliza and worry about himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Rose and John unable to track Mama Fresia?
2. How much is the reward for the head of Joaquin?
3. What is the name of Joaquin's gang member?
4. When Eliza is asking about Joaquin, she tells people he is her what?
5. What does Eliza bring for James and Esther at the end of "Singsong Girls"?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)