|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the failure of medicines to act quickly have on the depressed person?
2. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
3. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
4. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
5. Which writer does Styron quote as saying he had "lost the right path"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail how Styron's illness affected him while he was in Paris to accept his award. Follow him through the course of that day and explain how changes in his mood affected him at various points during his activities that day. Explain his mood shifts by following the narrative as Styron reveals his moods to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
One of the characteristics of a good memoir is for the author to take one position in relevance to the topic. Does Styron effectively take one position in relation to depression? Give proof of your position from the book. What references from the book support his taking a certain stance, or did he fail to do that? What is his position (s) in reference to depression?
Essay Topic 3
A memoir is somewhat like a figurative photograph of the writer. It may be like an individual photograph or a group photograph. It offers sensory and symbolic details that paint a picture of the writer at that point in time. Discuss how Styron uses sensory detail and symbolic writing to paint his picture. Give examples from the book of how he does this, including language he may have used.
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)