|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though depression tends to recur, what advantage do sufferers of recurrence have?
2. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
3. What is the second stage of psychological development in depression?
4. According to Styron, what is the greatest fallacy about suicide?
5. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Styron suggests that brainstorm would be a better name for the physical ramifications of depression, but brainstorm means the opposite of what he meant it to be. What does brainstorm mean, as used normally, and what is it as Styron meant it? Compare and contrast the two meanings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the possible meaning Camus had when he talked about man's alienation for other men. What does this perspective mean, given his diagnosis of depression? Would he have seen the world the same way if he had not suffered depression? Do you think Styron agreed with him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Styron's purpose is for writing "Darkness Visible." What might he want us to know and understand about his subject? Include what he states openly as well as what you understand him to want to say. Why does he think it is important to make us understand this?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)