|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
2. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
3. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
4. How does his diary represent his mental state?
5. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Styron's opinions about the roles biology (genetics, brain chemicals, and influence of meds and alcohol) and environmental factors have in the development of depression. Use passages from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail how Styron's illness affected him while he was in Paris to accept his award. Follow him through the course of that day and explain how changes in his mood affected him at various points during his activities that day. Explain his mood shifts by following the narrative as Styron reveals his moods to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Styron's account of his treatment, including his treatment during hospitalization, and its impact on his recovery. Use examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)