|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say would prevent many suicides?
2. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
3. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
4. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
5. What events led to Abraham Lincoln suffering depression and even attempting suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Styron repeatedly mentions about how much a strong social support of family and friends is important to a person's recovery. He makes a slight mention of his wife as support, and a couple of friends, yet he leaves out but little of the discussion of family support. Was he trying to protect his family? What is the relationship between private and public lives? What kind of support system do you feel he had?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Styron' s quote from his book, "A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted. You should live several lives while reading it." If this statement is indeed true, did Styron fulfill that quote? Explain why or why not. Do you agree with this quote? Give examples pinpointing the point from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Styron's account of his treatment, including his treatment during hospitalization, and its impact on his recovery. Use examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)