|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
2. What famous poet does Styron name as an example of excellent works by a depressed person?
3. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
4. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
5. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
Essay Topic 1
The title of Styron's book, "Darkness Visible," comes from a quote from Milton's "Paradise Lost," describing Hell. Discuss why Styron might have chosen such a work to quote from. What about his condition might have led him to be attracted to such a work? What is the significance of choosing a quote describing hell to open his memoir on depression?
Essay Topic 2
One of the characteristics of a good memoir is for the author to take one position in relevance to the topic. Does Styron effectively take one position in relation to depression? Give proof of your position from the book. What references from the book support his taking a certain stance, or did he fail to do that? What is his position (s) in reference to depression?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Styron's opinions about the roles biology (genetics, brain chemicals, and influence of meds and alcohol) and environmental factors have in the development of depression. Use passages from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)