|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Styron say depression was no stranger when it came to him?
2. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
3. How does his diary represent his mental state?
4. What is the second stage of psychological development in depression?
5. How did Lincoln attempt to vanquish death due to his own hand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Styron's depression and the influence of the writings of his friends impacted his writing. Discuss the influences can we see of not only his own depression, but the writings of Camus on Styron's work.
Essay Topic 2
Critics have indicated that Styron left much of his personal journey out of the book. As a memoir of madness, we might expect, and deserve, to read more of Styron's journey through madness. Yet, he didn't include it. Why might this be? Would the book have been better or worse if more detail of the struggle had been included? Do you think leaving out the information was by plan or by accident? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Styron' s quote from his book, "A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted. You should live several lives while reading it." If this statement is indeed true, did Styron fulfill that quote? Explain why or why not. Do you agree with this quote? Give examples pinpointing the point from the book.
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)