Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
2. What famous poet does Styron name as an example of excellent works by a depressed person?
3. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
4. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
5. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
Essay Topic 1
One of the characteristics of a good memoir is for the author to take one position in relevance to the topic. Does Styron effectively take one position in relation to depression? Give proof of your position from the book. What references from the book support his taking a certain stance, or did he fail to do that? What is his position (s) in reference to depression?
Essay Topic 2
Styron's book and its subject becomes quite dark and depressing at times. Also, it is difficult because of the symbolism and the difficult language used. Yet it is considered a classic, worthy of being taught in a high school class. Why is this? What about this subject makes it relative to people today? What about the book makes it an excellent memoir? What comprises the beauty in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Styron suggests that brainstorm would be a better name for the physical ramifications of depression, but brainstorm means the opposite of what he meant it to be. What does brainstorm mean, as used normally, and what is it as Styron meant it? Compare and contrast the two meanings.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)