|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Styron give to the loss of a parent or something early in life?
2. For Styron, what is the most devastating loss of physical functions?
3. What does Styron say about people who survive a depressive episode?
4. What is so frustrating about depression for artists, musicians, and scientists?
5. What new approach does Styron's psychiatrist use?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Styron's account of his treatment, including his treatment during hospitalization, and its impact on his recovery. Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Styron's thoughts about human resiliency and social report and provide examples from the book. How important are each of these to an individual's recovery and survival?
Essay Topic 3
A memoir is somewhat like a figurative photograph of the writer. It may be like an individual photograph or a group photograph. It offers sensory and symbolic details that paint a picture of the writer at that point in time. Discuss how Styron uses sensory detail and symbolic writing to paint his picture. Give examples from the book of how he does this, including language he may have used.
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)