|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous poet does Styron name as an example of excellent works by a depressed person?
2. Styron compares the theories about depression to the theories about what?
3. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
4. For Styron, what do the black whirling stars of Van Gogh represent?
5. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Styron's thoughts about human resiliency and social report and provide examples from the book. How important are each of these to an individual's recovery and survival?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Styron's account of his treatment, including his treatment during hospitalization, and its impact on his recovery. Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
A memoir is somewhat like a figurative photograph of the writer. It may be like an individual photograph or a group photograph. It offers sensory and symbolic details that paint a picture of the writer at that point in time. Discuss how Styron uses sensory detail and symbolic writing to paint his picture. Give examples from the book of how he does this, including language he may have used.
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)