|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
2. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
3. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
4. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
5. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Styron's thoughts about human resiliency and social report and provide examples from the book. How important are each of these to an individual's recovery and survival?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Styron's depression and the influence of the writings of his friends impacted his writing. Discuss the influences can we see of not only his own depression, but the writings of Camus on Styron's work.
Essay Topic 3
Styron's book and its subject becomes quite dark and depressing at times. Also, it is difficult because of the symbolism and the difficult language used. Yet it is considered a classic, worthy of being taught in a high school class. Why is this? What about this subject makes it relative to people today? What about the book makes it an excellent memoir? What comprises the beauty in the book?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)