Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
2. What famous poet does Styron name as an example of excellent works by a depressed person?
3. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
4. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
5. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
Discuss the possible meaning Camus had when he talked about man's alienation for other men. What does this perspective mean, given his diagnosis of depression? Would he have seen the world the same way if he had not suffered depression? Do you think Styron agreed with him? Why or why not?
Styron's book and its subject becomes quite dark and depressing at times. Also, it is difficult because of the symbolism and the difficult language used. Yet it is considered a classic, worthy of being taught in a high school class. Why is this? What about this subject makes it relative to people today? What about the book makes it an excellent memoir? What comprises the beauty in the book?
Discuss Styron's account of his treatment, including his treatment during hospitalization, and its impact on his recovery. Use examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)