Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
2. What famous poet does Styron name as an example of excellent works by a depressed person?
3. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
4. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
5. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
Essay Topic 1
The title of Styron's book, "Darkness Visible," comes from a quote from Milton's "Paradise Lost," describing Hell. Discuss why Styron might have chosen such a work to quote from. What about his condition might have led him to be attracted to such a work? What is the significance of choosing a quote describing hell to open his memoir on depression?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Styron's comments and thoughts about the stigma associated with mental illness. Include his recommendations for how to overcome that stigma. Give examples from the book showing both his thoughts and his recommendations.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Styron' s quote from his book, "A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted. You should live several lives while reading it." If this statement is indeed true, did Styron fulfill that quote? Explain why or why not. Do you agree with this quote? Give examples pinpointing the point from the book.
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)