|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Styron believe led to his depression?
2. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
3. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
4. What famous poet does Styron name as an example of excellent works by a depressed person?
5. What is the phenomenon in which young victims of loss harbor guilt and rage for their entire lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Styron's book and its subject becomes quite dark and depressing at times. Also, it is difficult because of the symbolism and the difficult language used. Yet it is considered a classic, worthy of being taught in a high school class. Why is this? What about this subject makes it relative to people today? What about the book makes it an excellent memoir? What comprises the beauty in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Styron's depression and the influence of the writings of his friends impacted his writing. Discuss the influences can we see of not only his own depression, but the writings of Camus on Styron's work.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Styron' s quote from his book, "A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted. You should live several lives while reading it." If this statement is indeed true, did Styron fulfill that quote? Explain why or why not. Do you agree with this quote? Give examples pinpointing the point from the book.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)