|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
2. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
3. What famous poet does Styron name as an example of excellent works by a depressed person?
4. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
5. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Styron suggests that brainstorm would be a better name for the physical ramifications of depression, but brainstorm means the opposite of what he meant it to be. What does brainstorm mean, as used normally, and what is it as Styron meant it? Compare and contrast the two meanings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Styron's account of his treatment, including his treatment during hospitalization, and its impact on his recovery. Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
A memoir is somewhat like a figurative photograph of the writer. It may be like an individual photograph or a group photograph. It offers sensory and symbolic details that paint a picture of the writer at that point in time. Discuss how Styron uses sensory detail and symbolic writing to paint his picture. Give examples from the book of how he does this, including language he may have used.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)