|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
2. What famous poet does Styron name as an example of excellent works by a depressed person?
3. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
4. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
5. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
Essay Topic 1
Styron suggests that brainstorm would be a better name for the physical ramifications of depression, but brainstorm means the opposite of what he meant it to be. What does brainstorm mean, as used normally, and what is it as Styron meant it? Compare and contrast the two meanings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Styron's opinions about the roles biology (genetics, brain chemicals, and influence of meds and alcohol) and environmental factors have in the development of depression. Use passages from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Styron' s quote from his book, "A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted. You should live several lives while reading it." If this statement is indeed true, did Styron fulfill that quote? Explain why or why not. Do you agree with this quote? Give examples pinpointing the point from the book.
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)