|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
2. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
3. What therapies are used in the hospital?
4. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
5. How does his diary represent his mental state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Styron's depression and the influence of the writings of his friends impacted his writing. Discuss the influences can we see of not only his own depression, but the writings of Camus on Styron's work.
Essay Topic 2
The title of Styron's book, "Darkness Visible," comes from a quote from Milton's "Paradise Lost," describing Hell. Discuss why Styron might have chosen such a work to quote from. What about his condition might have led him to be attracted to such a work? What is the significance of choosing a quote describing hell to open his memoir on depression?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Styron' s quote from his book, "A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted. You should live several lives while reading it." If this statement is indeed true, did Styron fulfill that quote? Explain why or why not. Do you agree with this quote? Give examples pinpointing the point from the book.
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)