|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
2. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
3. For Styron, what do the black whirling stars of Van Gogh represent?
4. What reaction does Styron have to group therapy?
5. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Styron's purpose is for writing "Darkness Visible." What might he want us to know and understand about his subject? Include what he states openly as well as what you understand him to want to say. Why does he think it is important to make us understand this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Styron's depression and the influence of the writings of his friends impacted his writing. Discuss the influences can we see of not only his own depression, but the writings of Camus on Styron's work.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail how Styron's illness affected him while he was in Paris to accept his award. Follow him through the course of that day and explain how changes in his mood affected him at various points during his activities that day. Explain his mood shifts by following the narrative as Styron reveals his moods to the reader.
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)