|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
2. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
3. What does Styron say about people who survive a depressive episode?
4. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
5. What events led to Abraham Lincoln suffering depression and even attempting suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Styron' s quote from his book, "A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted. You should live several lives while reading it." If this statement is indeed true, did Styron fulfill that quote? Explain why or why not. Do you agree with this quote? Give examples pinpointing the point from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the possible meaning Camus had when he talked about man's alienation for other men. What does this perspective mean, given his diagnosis of depression? Would he have seen the world the same way if he had not suffered depression? Do you think Styron agreed with him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Even though it is nonfiction, a good memoir develops the characters through description, dialogue, and characterization, much as is done in fiction. Describe and give examples of how Styron develops his characters to make them interesting and insure the audience is sympathetic to them. Did he effectively develop his characters? Why or why not?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)