Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
2. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
3. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
4. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
5. How did Levi commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Styron and his drinking habits and how did that affect him?
2. What did Styron say was so harmful that doctors were prone to do for depressed people and why?
3. Why was the suicide of Albert Camus and Romain Gary so devastating to Styron?
4. How did Styron begin preparing for his death?
5. What did the suicides of several of his friends, who had distinguished careers and were obviously intelligent and known for their strong character, cause Styron to do? How was his beliefs opposed to the general public view?
6. What did Styron say caused the incipient insomnia that depressed people often experienced?
7. Who did Styron say the depressed person was dangerous to, and why?
8. As Styron contemplated and planned for his suicide, what two feelings did he describe?
9. What reasons might be given for Styron not having been hospitalized earlier?
10. What did the diary represent to Styron? What did he do with it?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the possible meaning Camus had when he talked about man's alienation for other men. What does this perspective mean, given his diagnosis of depression? Would he have seen the world the same way if he had not suffered depression? Do you think Styron agreed with him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Styron's purpose is for writing "Darkness Visible." What might he want us to know and understand about his subject? Include what he states openly as well as what you understand him to want to say. Why does he think it is important to make us understand this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Styron's opinions about the roles biology (genetics, brain chemicals, and influence of meds and alcohol) and environmental factors have in the development of depression. Use passages from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)