|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
2. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
3. Though the death of the poet, Randall Jarrell, was ruled accidental, why does Styron say it was probably suicide?
4. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
5. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Styron gave little credence to his outpatient therapy, but said what about the 50 minutes involved?
2. What sort of therapy was used to help Styron overcome his depression?
3. What did Styron say about someone being able to describe depression?
4. What happened to Styron's first work and what was its title?
5. What did the suicide of several of Styron's friends lead him to do, and what was the result of this action?
6. What advice did Styron give for the person suffering from depression?
7. What does Styron say about the causes of depression?
8. What happened to Romain Gary, Styron's friend, as a result of his depression?
9. What is the relationship between artistic temperaments and suicide and what was Styron's appeal in relationship to it?
10. Discuss why Styron was so appreciative of receiving the del Duca award?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail how Styron's illness affected him while he was in Paris to accept his award. Follow him through the course of that day and explain how changes in his mood affected him at various points during his activities that day. Explain his mood shifts by following the narrative as Styron reveals his moods to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Styron's opinions about the roles biology (genetics, brain chemicals, and influence of meds and alcohol) and environmental factors have in the development of depression. Use passages from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Styron's account of his treatment, including his treatment during hospitalization, and its impact on his recovery. Use examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)