|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
(b) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
(c) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
(d) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
2. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
(a) It was played at her funeral.
(b) She played it on the piano.
(c) It spoke of a lady like her.
(d) He had heard her sing it.
3. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
(a) His children.
(b) His wife.
4. To what does Styron compare medical treatment for depression?
(a) To the early evolution of dinosaurs.
(b) To fighting infection before the discovery of penicillin.
(c) To cancer treatment.
(d) To a child's early life.
5. How did Lincoln attempt to vanquish death due to his own hand?
(a) Through his work that was valued by posterity.
(b) By being the best family man he could.
(c) By declaring war.
(d) By taking medicines prescribed to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
2. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
3. Which writer does Styron quote as saying he had "lost the right path"?
4. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
5. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)