|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
(a) He gives it to a friend to publish.
(b) He reads portions of it to his friends.
(c) He hides it from his friends and wife.
(d) He wraps it and throws it in the garbage.
2. What is the phenomenon in which young victims of loss harbor guilt and rage for their entire lives?
(a) Lack of bonding.
(b) Fear and anxiety.
(d) Incomplete mourning.
3. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
(a) A black tempest.
(b) A hole in his heart.
(c) A deep hole.
(d) An excruciating pain.
4. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
(a) Extreme fear of abandonment.
5. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
(b) More medicine.
(c) A controlled environment and more time.
(d) Freedom from other people and their advise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
2. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
3. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
4. What is Styron's diary a symbol of?
5. What two things does Styron believe led to his depression?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)