|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To go to the hospital for treatment.
(b) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(c) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
(d) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
2. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
(a) They don't think it would help him.
(b) The social stigma and the fact that mental illness is not tangible or visible.
(c) They don't know he was that bad.
(d) He gets angry whenever they approach the subject.
3. How did Lincoln attempt to vanquish death due to his own hand?
(a) Through his work that was valued by posterity.
(b) By declaring war.
(c) By being the best family man he could.
(d) By taking medicines prescribed to him.
4. From Job to Styron's day, he says artists and writers have been trying to do what?
(a) Cheer up people who suffer from depression with their works.
(b) Explain the blackness of the fantasia of depression.
(c) Build better relationships to overcome depression.
(d) Overcome the effects of depression that overcome artists.
5. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
(a) Love for his wife and hopelessness for himself.
(b) Terror and fascination.
(c) Despondency and fear.
(d) Hopelessness and despair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
2. What reaction does Styron have to group therapy?
3. What therapies are used in the hospital?
4. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
5. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)