|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of people does Styron say is more prone to depression?
(a) People with above average intelligence.
(b) Poor people.
(c) Artistic people.
(d) People who have lost loved ones.
2. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
(a) Go to bed for hours every day.
(b) Write even more in an attempt to understand it.
(c) Run away from his wife and home.
(d) Try to kill himself.
3. According to Styron, what is a frequent theme in his novels?
(d) Family support.
4. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
(a) Terror and fascination.
(b) Despondency and fear.
(c) Hopelessness and despair.
(d) Love for his wife and hopelessness for himself.
5. What new approach does Styron's psychiatrist use?
(b) Disattachment therapy.
(c) Pharmacological, without physical and mental support.
(d) DSM recommendations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Styron say depression was no stranger when it came to him?
2. Styron compares the theories about depression to the theories about what?
3. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
4. For Styron, what is the most devastating loss of physical functions?
5. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)