|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
(a) Poetry, due to its emotional nature.
(b) Any upbeat writing.
(c) He stopped writing altogether.
(d) His goodbye letter.
2. Why does Styron say depression was no stranger when it came to him?
(a) He was friends with a psychiatrist who knew all about it.
(b) His wife had suffered from it for years.
(c) He had studied it in depth.
(d) It was in many of his writings and also his father had suffered from it.
3. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It helped him relax with his friends.
(b) It kept him from catching illnesses.
(c) It made him feel high.
(d) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
4. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(b) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
(c) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
(d) To go to the hospital for treatment.
5. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
(a) Diamond matches, Kingsford Charcoal lighter, and Viva towels.
(b) Cheez-its box, 3M tape, and Brawny towels.
(c) None, just throws it away in the garbage.
(d) Viva towels, Scotch tape, and Post Raisin Bran cereal box.
Short Answer Questions
1. What therapies are used in the hospital?
2. What two things does Styron believe led to his depression?
3. What is Styron's diary a symbol of?
4. What does Styron do about his physical disabilities?
5. What sort of people does Styron say is more prone to depression?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)