|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
(a) Poetry, due to its emotional nature.
(b) His goodbye letter.
(c) He stopped writing altogether.
(d) Any upbeat writing.
2. What does he think about art therapy?
(a) Too difficult hard.
(b) A waste of time.
(c) He would rather write than paint or draw.
(d) Skeptical because of the teacher's overly effusive praise, but eventually likes it.
3. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Almost a year.
(c) A month.
(d) Seven weeks.
4. What does the doctor tell Styron about his medicine, Halcion, and its dosage?
(a) He needs a much larger dose.
(b) It is three times the normal dose and not recommended for men his age.
(c) It is the best medicine.
(d) It is not effective for depression.
5. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
(a) Good hospitals.
(b) Medicine to treat it.
(c) The hope of deliverance is absent and makes it almost impossible to endure.
(d) Doctors who know what to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
2. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
3. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
4. What happens when Styron's medicine is changed?
5. What sort of people does Styron say is more prone to depression?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)