|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
(a) His goodbye letter.
(b) He stopped writing altogether.
(c) Poetry, due to its emotional nature.
(d) Any upbeat writing.
2. According to Styron, what is a frequent theme in his novels?
(c) Family support.
3. What therapies are used in the hospital?
(a) Medicines and psychotherapy.
(b) No therapies; Styron just rested.
(c) Group therapy, art therapy, and watching TV shows.
(d) Shock treatment and medicines.
4. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
(a) He begins to get better immediately.
(b) His doctor doesn't believe in it.
(c) He refuses to let them do it.
(d) He pretends that he had already had it.
5. What happens when Styron's medicine is changed?
(a) His depression deepens.
(b) He becomes violent and has to be restrained.
(c) He can't sleep at night.
(d) His suicidal thoughts cease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
2. What does Styron say about people who survive a depressive episode?
3. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
4. What reaction does Styron have to group therapy?
5. What does Styron say is the most important consideration in depression?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)