Final Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
(b) Extreme fear of abandonment.
2. What famous poet does Styron name as an example of excellent works by a depressed person?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Robert Frost.
(d) Emily Bronte.
3. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
(a) A quack.
(b) The parish priest in "Madame Bovary."
(c) His wife.
(d) His friend, Gary.
4. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
(a) Potentially criminal people.
(b) The situation of the walking wounded.
(c) A sure suicide.
(d) The position of being in a black fog.
5. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
(a) That he just needed some more rest.
(b) Medicines need to be adjusted correctly.
(c) That is was difficult and required a lot of strength.
(d) Writing in his diary helped him recover.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
2. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
3. What therapies are used in the hospital?
4. From Job to Styron's day, he says artists and writers have been trying to do what?
5. What does Styron do about his physical disabilities?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)