|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Styron names a number of writers, poets, and sculptors who have what common underlying theme in their work?
2. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
(a) Its pervasiveness.
(b) Its unrelenting nature.
(c) The inability of the depressed person to absorb pain beyond predictable periods of time.
(d) Its deep intensity.
3. What is the second stage of psychological development in depression?
(c) Physical pain.
4. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
(a) "Life is no longer worth it."
(b) "No more words; an act. I'll never write again."
(c) "This is the end. Don't mourn."
(d) "I am sorry for any pain I cause. My pain is greater."
5. What term does Styron give to the loss of a parent or something early in life?
(a) Incomplete mourning.
(b) Lifelong loss.
(c) Dark depression.
(d) Insurmountable loss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does Styron have to group therapy?
2. According to Styron, what is a frequent theme in his novels?
3. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
4. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
5. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)