|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Styron, what would be the only answer if depression was incurable?
(a) A life of horror.
(b) Total care by a loved one.
(d) Long term hospitalization.
2. Why does Styron say depression was no stranger when it came to him?
(a) It was in many of his writings and also his father had suffered from it.
(b) His wife had suffered from it for years.
(c) He had studied it in depth.
(d) He was friends with a psychiatrist who knew all about it.
3. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
(a) Writing in his diary helped him recover.
(b) That he just needed some more rest.
(c) That is was difficult and required a lot of strength.
(d) Medicines need to be adjusted correctly.
4. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
(a) Styron refused to come out of his room.
(b) Styron had only smiled in a few pictures but still looked as if in despair.
(c) Styron was in the hospital.
(d) Styron had left to go to Paris.
5. What hope does Styron say a depressed person can have?
(a) That it will eventually subside and healing will occur.
(b) That family and friends will be supportive.
(c) That suicide will relieve their distress.
(d) That medicines can cure depression and it will never recur.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does this music make him realize?
2. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
3. How does his diary represent his mental state?
4. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
5. Styron names a number of writers, poets, and sculptors who have what common underlying theme in their work?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)