|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From Job to Styron's day, he says artists and writers have been trying to do what?
(a) Cheer up people who suffer from depression with their works.
(b) Overcome the effects of depression that overcome artists.
(c) Build better relationships to overcome depression.
(d) Explain the blackness of the fantasia of depression.
2. According to Styron, what would be the only answer if depression was incurable?
(a) A life of horror.
(b) Total care by a loved one.
(c) Long term hospitalization.
3. According to Styron, what is a frequent theme in his novels?
(a) Family support.
4. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
(a) The hope of deliverance is absent and makes it almost impossible to endure.
(b) Good hospitals.
(c) Doctors who know what to do.
(d) Medicine to treat it.
5. What does Styron say is the most important consideration in depression?
(a) Discovering which medicines are most effective.
(b) Discovering a cure.
(c) Discovering how early diagnoses can be made or predicted.
(d) Discovering what causes depressed people to commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
2. How does Styron describe his recovery from depression?
3. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
4. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
5. For Styron, what do the black whirling stars of Van Gogh represent?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)