|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron's first dream in many months?
(a) A demon, a fire, and his own death.
(b) His wife leaving him.
(c) A flute, a wild goose, and a dancing girl.
(d) A flock of Canadian geese.
2. What effect does the failure of medicines to act quickly have on the depressed person?
(a) Many of them commit suicide.
(b) They get better even though the medicines don't work.
(c) It keeps them in a state of anxiety and hopelessness.
(d) They give up and do something different.
3. What is so frustrating about depression for artists, musicians, and scientists?
(a) It affects many of their families.
(b) It interferes with their work.
(c) Frequent hospitalizations with their depresion interrupts their lives.
(d) The inability to explain and convey it to others who haven't had it.
4. What hope does Styron say a depressed person can have?
(a) That family and friends will be supportive.
(b) That suicide will relieve their distress.
(c) That it will eventually subside and healing will occur.
(d) That medicines can cure depression and it will never recur.
5. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It made him feel high.
(b) It kept him from catching illnesses.
(c) It helped him relax with his friends.
(d) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
2. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
3. What is the second stage of psychological development in depression?
4. What term does Styron give to the loss of a parent or something early in life?
5. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)