|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron's diary a symbol of?
(a) His hopelessness in the face of depression.
(b) His path through depression.
(c) His self-esteem and self-worth.
(d) His writing goals.
2. In the movie, "Through a Glass Darkly," the hallucination that the actress has is about what?
(a) Getting lost in the woods
(b) Snakes crawling on the ceiling.
(c) Monsters in her closet.
(d) A spider trying to sexually attack her.
3. As horrible as this hallucination is, what does Styron say about Bergman, who wrote the script?
(a) That he had barely touched on the true horror of a depressed person.
(b) He was trying to scare depressed people.
(c) He wanted to show what depression looks like.
(d) He was a depressed person himself.
4. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
(a) Try to kill himself.
(b) Run away from his wife and home.
(c) Write even more in an attempt to understand it.
(d) Go to bed for hours every day.
5. What hope does Styron say a depressed person can have?
(a) That suicide will relieve their distress.
(b) That family and friends will be supportive.
(c) That it will eventually subside and healing will occur.
(d) That medicines can cure depression and it will never recur.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
2. How does Styron describe his recovery from depression?
3. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
4. According to Styron, what would be the only answer if depression was incurable?
5. What sort of people does Styron say is more prone to depression?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)