|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reaction does Styron have to group therapy?
(a) It makes him seeth but gives him a way to pass the time.
(b) He doesn't participate.
(c) It is the major source of his healing.
(d) He has no reaction to it, and just endures it.
2. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
(a) He refuses to let them do it.
(b) His doctor doesn't believe in it.
(c) He begins to get better immediately.
(d) He pretends that he had already had it.
3. What hope does Styron say a depressed person can have?
(a) That family and friends will be supportive.
(b) That medicines can cure depression and it will never recur.
(c) That suicide will relieve their distress.
(d) That it will eventually subside and healing will occur.
4. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
(a) His friend, Gary.
(b) The parish priest in "Madame Bovary."
(c) His wife.
(d) A quack.
5. What therapies are used in the hospital?
(a) Shock treatment and medicines.
(b) Group therapy, art therapy, and watching TV shows.
(c) No therapies; Styron just rested.
(d) Medicines and psychotherapy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new approach does Styron's psychiatrist use?
2. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
3. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
4. What does Styron say would prevent many suicides?
5. According to Styron, what is the greatest fallacy about suicide?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)