|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say family and friends should continue to do for the depressed person?
(a) Validate their worth and sense of self.
(b) Tell them to cheer up and get over it.
(c) Make them talk about their problems.
(d) Watch them constantly to prevent suicide.
2. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
(a) He gets angry and speaks hatefully to them.
(b) He is catatonic and does not speak.
(c) He cries throughout the dinner because of his depression.
(d) He brags through the whole dinner party about his accomplishments.
3. Why does Styron say depression was no stranger when it came to him?
(a) He was friends with a psychiatrist who knew all about it.
(b) He had studied it in depth.
(c) It was in many of his writings and also his father had suffered from it.
(d) His wife had suffered from it for years.
4. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
(a) A deep hole.
(b) An excruciating pain.
(c) A black tempest.
(d) A hole in his heart.
5. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
(c) His children.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of people does Styron say is more prone to depression?
2. What events led to Abraham Lincoln suffering depression and even attempting suicide?
3. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
4. In the movie, "Through a Glass Darkly," the hallucination that the actress has is about what?
5. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)