|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
(a) An excruciating pain.
(b) A deep hole.
(c) A hole in his heart.
(d) A black tempest.
2. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
(a) Styron was in the hospital.
(b) Styron refused to come out of his room.
(c) Styron had only smiled in a few pictures but still looked as if in despair.
(d) Styron had left to go to Paris.
3. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
(a) Potentially criminal people.
(b) The position of being in a black fog.
(c) A sure suicide.
(d) The situation of the walking wounded.
4. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
(a) A superhuman ability to endure physical pain for a time.
(b) Ones in physical pain receive medicine but don't get better.
(c) Depression hurts worse.
(d) Mental pain doesn't disable one as much as physical pain.
5. What does the doctor tell Styron about his medicine, Halcion, and its dosage?
(a) It is the best medicine.
(b) It is three times the normal dose and not recommended for men his age.
(c) It is not effective for depression.
(d) He needs a much larger dose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
2. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
3. What is the phenomenon in which young victims of loss harbor guilt and rage for their entire lives?
4. What is Styron's first dream in many months?
5. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)