|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It made him feel high.
(b) It helped him relax with his friends.
(c) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
(d) It kept him from catching illnesses.
2. What reason does Styron give for taking the prescribed medicines without question?
(a) He was told the medicine was harmless.
(b) He was too depressed to notice.
(c) His doctor threathened the hospital if he didn't take it.
(d) He didn't know anything about the medicine.
3. What does this music make him realize?
(a) That music could restore his soul.
(b) That he didn't want to life any more.
(c) That he couldn't leave all the pleasant memories that the house around him held.
(d) That his suicide would hurt his wife too much.
4. What happens when Styron's medicine is changed?
(a) His suicidal thoughts cease.
(b) He becomes violent and has to be restrained.
(c) He can't sleep at night.
(d) His depression deepens.
5. Styron names a number of writers, poets, and sculptors who have what common underlying theme in their work?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the movie, "Through a Glass Darkly," the hallucination that the actress has is about what?
2. For Styron, what is the most devastating loss of physical functions?
3. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
4. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
5. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)