|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
(a) He dresses nicely for the person who will find him.
(b) He gathers a knife and some towels.
(c) He sends his wife away for a time so he would be alone.
(d) He revises his will and tries to write a goodbye letter.
2. How does Styron describe his recovery from depression?
(a) He says he wasn't sure he was cured.
(b) He says he suddenly felt like a body with sweet bodily juices flowing through him.
(c) He says he was suddenly ecstatic.
(d) He says it was a slow, painful process.
3. What is Styron's first dream in many months?
(a) His wife leaving him.
(b) A demon, a fire, and his own death.
(c) A flock of Canadian geese.
(d) A flute, a wild goose, and a dancing girl.
4. What does Styron say about people who survive a depressive episode?
(a) They are weak people who just happened to endure an episode.
(b) They are very strong people but succumb to a weakness.
(c) They are permanently damaged mentally.
(d) They come out with few permanent wounds.
5. According to Styron, what is the touchstone of depression?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lincoln attempt to vanquish death due to his own hand?
2. What does this music make him realize?
3. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
4. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
5. What reason does Styron give for taking the prescribed medicines without question?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)