|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
(a) It becomes very rapid.
(b) It slows to a halting rate.
(c) Nothing happens to his speech.
(d) He is unable to make certain sounds.
2. What is the second stage of psychological development in depression?
(a) Physical pain.
3. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
(a) It was played at her funeral.
(b) She played it on the piano.
(c) He had heard her sing it.
(d) It spoke of a lady like her.
4. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
(a) He cries throughout the dinner because of his depression.
(b) He brags through the whole dinner party about his accomplishments.
(c) He is catatonic and does not speak.
(d) He gets angry and speaks hatefully to them.
5. What does Styron say is the most important consideration in depression?
(a) Discovering which medicines are most effective.
(b) Discovering a cure.
(c) Discovering what causes depressed people to commit suicide.
(d) Discovering how early diagnoses can be made or predicted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
2. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
3. What two things does Styron believe led to his depression?
4. Why does Styron say depression was no stranger when it came to him?
5. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)