|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron's first dream in many months?
(a) His wife leaving him.
(b) A flute, a wild goose, and a dancing girl.
(c) A demon, a fire, and his own death.
(d) A flock of Canadian geese.
2. How does Styron describe his recovery from depression?
(a) He says he suddenly felt like a body with sweet bodily juices flowing through him.
(b) He says it was a slow, painful process.
(c) He says he wasn't sure he was cured.
(d) He says he was suddenly ecstatic.
3. What does Styron say about people who survive a depressive episode?
(a) They are permanently damaged mentally.
(b) They come out with few permanent wounds.
(c) They are weak people who just happened to endure an episode.
(d) They are very strong people but succumb to a weakness.
4. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To go to the hospital for treatment.
(b) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
(c) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(d) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
5. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
(a) The parish priest in "Madame Bovary."
(b) A quack.
(c) His wife.
(d) His friend, Gary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron do about his physical disabilities?
2. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
3. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
4. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
5. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)