|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
(a) "No more words; an act. I'll never write again."
(b) "I am sorry for any pain I cause. My pain is greater."
(c) "This is the end. Don't mourn."
(d) "Life is no longer worth it."
2. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
(a) Mental pain doesn't disable one as much as physical pain.
(b) Depression hurts worse.
(c) A superhuman ability to endure physical pain for a time.
(d) Ones in physical pain receive medicine but don't get better.
3. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
(a) His doctor doesn't believe in it.
(b) He refuses to let them do it.
(c) He pretends that he had already had it.
(d) He begins to get better immediately.
4. What does Styron say would prevent many suicides?
(a) Someone to watch the depressed person at all times.
(b) Stronger medicines.
(c) Strong support from family, friends, and professionsals.
(d) Immediate hospitalization.
5. What does Styron say family and friends should continue to do for the depressed person?
(a) Tell them to cheer up and get over it.
(b) Watch them constantly to prevent suicide.
(c) Make them talk about their problems.
(d) Validate their worth and sense of self.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though depression tends to recur, what advantage do sufferers of recurrence have?
2. What is so frustrating about depression for artists, musicians, and scientists?
3. For Styron, what do the black whirling stars of Van Gogh represent?
4. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
5. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)