|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
(a) Styron had only smiled in a few pictures but still looked as if in despair.
(b) Styron had left to go to Paris.
(c) Styron was in the hospital.
(d) Styron refused to come out of his room.
2. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
(a) Potentially criminal people.
(b) The situation of the walking wounded.
(c) A sure suicide.
(d) The position of being in a black fog.
3. Which writer does Styron quote as saying he had "lost the right path"?
4. What does Styron say would prevent many suicides?
(a) Someone to watch the depressed person at all times.
(b) Stronger medicines.
(c) Strong support from family, friends, and professionsals.
(d) Immediate hospitalization.
5. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
(a) He revises his will and tries to write a goodbye letter.
(b) He sends his wife away for a time so he would be alone.
(c) He gathers a knife and some towels.
(d) He dresses nicely for the person who will find him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What events led to Abraham Lincoln suffering depression and even attempting suicide?
2. How does Styron describe his recovery from depression?
3. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
4. What does he think about art therapy?
5. What happens when Styron's medicine is changed?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)