|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron's avoidance of death due to?
(a) His writings and intellectual endeavors.
(b) The recognition he got from others.
(c) His homage to his mother.
(d) His love for his wife.
2. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
(a) Tells him to leave his wife if he wanted to get better.
(b) Puts him in the hospital.
(c) Tells him he was never going to recover.
(d) Tells him he would have to wait ten days before starting his new medicine, and then it would take 6-8 weeks to work.
3. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
(a) A controlled environment and more time.
(b) More medicine.
(c) Freedom from other people and their advise.
4. What effect does the failure of medicines to act quickly have on the depressed person?
(a) They give up and do something different.
(b) They get better even though the medicines don't work.
(c) Many of them commit suicide.
(d) It keeps them in a state of anxiety and hopelessness.
5. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
(a) Doctors who know what to do.
(b) Good hospitals.
(c) The hope of deliverance is absent and makes it almost impossible to endure.
(d) Medicine to treat it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
2. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
3. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
4. What does Styron say would prevent many suicides?
5. What is the second stage of psychological development in depression?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)