|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Styron's medicine is changed?
(a) He can't sleep at night.
(b) His suicidal thoughts cease.
(c) He becomes violent and has to be restrained.
(d) His depression deepens.
2. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
(b) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
(c) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
(d) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
3. How does Styron describe his recovery from depression?
(a) He says it was a slow, painful process.
(b) He says he suddenly felt like a body with sweet bodily juices flowing through him.
(c) He says he was suddenly ecstatic.
(d) He says he wasn't sure he was cured.
4. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
(a) A quack.
(b) His wife.
(c) His friend, Gary.
(d) The parish priest in "Madame Bovary."
5. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
(a) He revises his will and tries to write a goodbye letter.
(b) He sends his wife away for a time so he would be alone.
(c) He gathers a knife and some towels.
(d) He dresses nicely for the person who will find him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second stage of psychological development in depression?
2. According to Styron, what is a frequent theme in his novels?
3. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
4. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
5. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)