|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
(a) He feels safe for the first time since he became depressed.
(b) He is afraid his friends will desert him.
(c) He is afraid his wife will leave him.
(d) He is depressed about it.
2. What sort of people does Styron say is more prone to depression?
(a) People who have lost loved ones.
(b) People with above average intelligence.
(c) Artistic people.
(d) Poor people.
3. What reaction does Styron have to group therapy?
(a) He has no reaction to it, and just endures it.
(b) It is the major source of his healing.
(c) It makes him seeth but gives him a way to pass the time.
(d) He doesn't participate.
4. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
(a) Cheez-its box, 3M tape, and Brawny towels.
(b) Viva towels, Scotch tape, and Post Raisin Bran cereal box.
(c) None, just throws it away in the garbage.
(d) Diamond matches, Kingsford Charcoal lighter, and Viva towels.
5. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
(a) A month.
(b) Seven weeks.
(c) Almost a year.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Styron's medicine is changed?
2. According to Styron, what is a frequent theme in his novels?
3. Why does Styron say depression was no stranger when it came to him?
4. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
5. What is the phenomenon in which young victims of loss harbor guilt and rage for their entire lives?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)