|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
(a) A blue funk.
(b) A brain storm.
(c) Mourning for loss.
(d) A weak psyche.
2. What is the old term for depression?
(a) Manic depressive.
(d) Mental deficit.
3. At what point in one's life does Styron say the seeds of depression are planted?
(a) In middle age.
(b) In early adulthood.
(c) In childhood.
(d) There is not one particular time, it varies.
4. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) Mothers who enjoy their role.
(b) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
(c) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
(d) People younger than their teens.
5. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
2. How does Styron feel about his Connecticut farmhouse?
3. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
4. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
5. What is Styron not able to recover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was special about Styron's situation with depression?
2. What did Styron tell the reader about the incidence of depression and artistic types? Who are some artistic types who suffered from depression?
3. As Styron contemplated and planned for his suicide, what two feelings did he describe?
4. What did Styron say about his physical condition after he got released from the hospital?
5. What role does Styron say friends and family play for the person with depression?
6. What did Styron say about the impression his intense thoughts of suicide would have on others?
7. Discuss why Styron was so appreciative of receiving the del Duca award?
8. What was Styron doing that was harming him, making his depression worse, though he thought it was helping?
9. What sort of therapy was used to help Styron overcome his depression?
10. What did Styron say about someone being able to describe depression?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)