|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
2. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(a) Rich people.
(c) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
(d) Poor people.
3. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
(b) He finds inspiration for another book.
(c) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
(d) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
4. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
(a) Being isolated in Connecticut in the winter.
(b) He begins to suffer nausea when drinking alcohol, which he had depended upon.
(c) Trouble with his wife.
(d) The loss of several friends to suicide.
5. According to Styron, what often leads depressed people to commit suicide?
(a) Because they don't love their families like other people do.
(b) Because of moral weakness and lack of character.
(c) Because they don't have a very strong will to live.
(d) Because depression is so deep they can't see any other way out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
2. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
3. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
4. In what way does Styron's depression come upon him?
5. What does Styron say depression is like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Styron as his depression progressed?
2. What did Styron tell the reader about the incidence of depression and artistic types? Who are some artistic types who suffered from depression?
3. Who did Styron say the depressed person was dangerous to, and why?
4. How did Styron describe the internal struggle with depression? What was causing this internal struggle, beside just the depression?
5. For the most part, the people Styron list as suffering from depression are artistic types or philosophers. Discuss why this may be so?
6. What reasons might be given for Styron not having been hospitalized earlier?
7. What happened to Romain Gary, Styron's friend, as a result of his depression?
8. Styron gave little credence to his outpatient therapy, but said what about the 50 minutes involved?
9. What did Camus speak of that so strongly affected Styron? What relationship did Styron have with Camus?
10. What term did Stryon say was a more apt description of depression than that word itself?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)