|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
(a) She was cheating on him.
(b) Because she couldn't collect his life insurance.
(c) She didn't believe he committed suicide.
(d) Because of the stigma of suicide.
2. What is Styron not able to recover?
(a) His family.
(b) His fame.
(c) His lucidity.
(d) His friendships.
3. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
4. What does Styron say the award he received should have done for him?
(a) Make him famous.
(b) Restore his ego.
(c) Pay all his bills.
(d) Make him new friends.
5. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
2. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
3. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
4. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
5. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. For the most part, the people Styron list as suffering from depression are artistic types or philosophers. Discuss why this may be so?
2. What term did Stryon say was a more apt description of depression than that word itself?
3. What role does Styron say friends and family play for the person with depression?
4. What sort of therapy was used to help Styron overcome his depression?
5. What was special about Styron's situation with depression?
6. What did the suicides of several of his friends, who had distinguished careers and were obviously intelligent and known for their strong character, cause Styron to do? How was his beliefs opposed to the general public view?
7. What reasons might be given for Styron not having been hospitalized earlier?
8. What was Styron doing that was harming him, making his depression worse, though he thought it was helping?
9. How did Styron begin preparing for his death?
10. What did Styron say is true of those who suffer from severe depression and recover?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)