|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
(a) He doesn't like to travel.
(b) He believes one day in the near future he will take his own life.
(c) He had such a miserable time in Paris.
(d) It cost so much to go and he was nearly broke.
2. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
(a) They temporarily restore his good feelings.
(b) He thinks they are graceful.
(c) He is frozen in anxiety at the sight of them.
(d) He tries to shoot them.
3. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(b) He finally felt free again.
(c) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(d) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
4. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
(a) Penicillin and Halcion.
(b) Halcion and Ativan.
(c) Prozac and Ativan.
(d) Halcion and Ibuprofen.
5. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
2. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
3. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
4. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
5. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Styron say about the impression his intense thoughts of suicide would have on others?
2. What term did Stryon say was a more apt description of depression than that word itself?
3. What is the relationship between artistic temperaments and suicide and what was Styron's appeal in relationship to it?
4. As Styron contemplated and planned for his suicide, what two feelings did he describe?
5. What did Camus speak of that so strongly affected Styron? What relationship did Styron have with Camus?
6. What did Styron tell the reader about the incidence of depression and artistic types? Who are some artistic types who suffered from depression?
7. What role does Styron say friends and family play for the person with depression?
8. What happened to Styron as his depression progressed?
9. What did Styron say about someone being able to describe depression?
10. What did Styron say was so harmful that doctors were prone to do for depressed people and why?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)