|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
(a) He had heard her sing it.
(b) It was played at her funeral.
(c) It spoke of a lady like her.
(d) She played it on the piano.
2. What does Styron say family and friends should continue to do for the depressed person?
(a) Watch them constantly to prevent suicide.
(b) Validate their worth and sense of self.
(c) Tell them to cheer up and get over it.
(d) Make them talk about their problems.
3. What does the doctor tell Styron about his medicine, Halcion, and its dosage?
(a) It is not effective for depression.
(b) It is the best medicine.
(c) He needs a much larger dose.
(d) It is three times the normal dose and not recommended for men his age.
4. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
(a) He is afraid of fire, so couldn't bring himself to burn the diary.
(b) He doesn't want to start a fire and let his friends know what he was doing.
(c) It better represents the annihilation of a loathful self, and deserves to be thrown in the garbage as well.
(d) He doesn't want to see any trace, such as ashes.
5. What is so frustrating about depression for artists, musicians, and scientists?
(a) It interferes with their work.
(b) The inability to explain and convey it to others who haven't had it.
(c) It affects many of their families.
(d) Frequent hospitalizations with their depresion interrupts their lives.
6. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
(a) Write even more in an attempt to understand it.
(b) Go to bed for hours every day.
(c) Run away from his wife and home.
(d) Try to kill himself.
7. In the movie, "Through a Glass Darkly," the hallucination that the actress has is about what?
(a) Snakes crawling on the ceiling.
(b) Getting lost in the woods
(c) A spider trying to sexually attack her.
(d) Monsters in her closet.
8. According to Styron, what is a frequent theme in his novels?
(b) Family support.
9. What sort of people does Styron say is more prone to depression?
(a) Poor people.
(b) Artistic people.
(c) People with above average intelligence.
(d) People who have lost loved ones.
10. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
(a) Viva towels, Scotch tape, and Post Raisin Bran cereal box.
(b) None, just throws it away in the garbage.
(c) Diamond matches, Kingsford Charcoal lighter, and Viva towels.
(d) Cheez-its box, 3M tape, and Brawny towels.
11. Styron compares the theories about depression to the theories about what?
(a) The world is square/round debate.
(b) Dinosaurs and Black Holes.
12. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
(a) Freedom from other people and their advise.
(c) More medicine.
(d) A controlled environment and more time.
13. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
(a) They don't know he was that bad.
(b) He gets angry whenever they approach the subject.
(c) They don't think it would help him.
(d) The social stigma and the fact that mental illness is not tangible or visible.
14. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To go to the hospital for treatment.
(b) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(c) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
(d) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
15. What does Styron say is the most important consideration in depression?
(a) Discovering how early diagnoses can be made or predicted.
(b) Discovering which medicines are most effective.
(c) Discovering a cure.
(d) Discovering what causes depressed people to commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
2. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
3. Which writer does Styron quote as saying he had "lost the right path"?
4. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
5. What does Styron say about people who survive a depressive episode?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)