|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
(a) Seven weeks.
(b) Almost a year.
(c) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
2. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
(a) Despondency and fear.
(b) Hopelessness and despair.
(c) Terror and fascination.
(d) Love for his wife and hopelessness for himself.
3. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
(a) He is afraid of fire, so couldn't bring himself to burn the diary.
(b) He doesn't want to start a fire and let his friends know what he was doing.
(c) He doesn't want to see any trace, such as ashes.
(d) It better represents the annihilation of a loathful self, and deserves to be thrown in the garbage as well.
4. From Job to Styron's day, he says artists and writers have been trying to do what?
(a) Explain the blackness of the fantasia of depression.
(b) Build better relationships to overcome depression.
(c) Cheer up people who suffer from depression with their works.
(d) Overcome the effects of depression that overcome artists.
5. What is so frustrating about depression for artists, musicians, and scientists?
(a) It interferes with their work.
(b) It affects many of their families.
(c) Frequent hospitalizations with their depresion interrupts their lives.
(d) The inability to explain and convey it to others who haven't had it.
6. How did Lincoln attempt to vanquish death due to his own hand?
(a) By declaring war.
(b) By taking medicines prescribed to him.
(c) By being the best family man he could.
(d) Through his work that was valued by posterity.
7. What new approach does Styron's psychiatrist use?
(b) DSM recommendations.
(c) Disattachment therapy.
(d) Pharmacological, without physical and mental support.
8. To what does Styron compare medical treatment for depression?
(a) To fighting infection before the discovery of penicillin.
(b) To cancer treatment.
(c) To a child's early life.
(d) To the early evolution of dinosaurs.
9. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
(b) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(c) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
(d) To go to the hospital for treatment.
10. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
(a) Styron refused to come out of his room.
(b) Styron had left to go to Paris.
(c) Styron had only smiled in a few pictures but still looked as if in despair.
(d) Styron was in the hospital.
11. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
(a) He is catatonic and does not speak.
(b) He brags through the whole dinner party about his accomplishments.
(c) He gets angry and speaks hatefully to them.
(d) He cries throughout the dinner because of his depression.
12. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
(a) His wife cheated on him.
(b) His doctor treated him with the wrong drug.
(c) He could not longer drink any alcohol at all.
(d) His friends deserted him.
13. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
(a) A superhuman ability to endure physical pain for a time.
(b) Mental pain doesn't disable one as much as physical pain.
(c) Ones in physical pain receive medicine but don't get better.
(d) Depression hurts worse.
14. Why does Styron say depression was no stranger when it came to him?
(a) His wife had suffered from it for years.
(b) It was in many of his writings and also his father had suffered from it.
(c) He had studied it in depth.
(d) He was friends with a psychiatrist who knew all about it.
15. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
(a) It slows to a halting rate.
(b) He is unable to make certain sounds.
(c) Nothing happens to his speech.
(d) It becomes very rapid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he think about art therapy?
2. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
3. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
4. Which writer does Styron quote as saying he had "lost the right path"?
5. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)