|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say would prevent many suicides?
(a) Immediate hospitalization.
(b) Someone to watch the depressed person at all times.
(c) Stronger medicines.
(d) Strong support from family, friends, and professionsals.
2. What is Styron's avoidance of death due to?
(a) The recognition he got from others.
(b) His love for his wife.
(c) His homage to his mother.
(d) His writings and intellectual endeavors.
3. What is so frustrating about depression for artists, musicians, and scientists?
(a) The inability to explain and convey it to others who haven't had it.
(b) It interferes with their work.
(c) It affects many of their families.
(d) Frequent hospitalizations with their depresion interrupts their lives.
4. What is Styron's diary a symbol of?
(a) His path through depression.
(b) His hopelessness in the face of depression.
(c) His writing goals.
(d) His self-esteem and self-worth.
5. Though depression tends to recur, what advantage do sufferers of recurrence have?
(a) They know the best doctors and hospitals to use.
(b) They know it is curable and know how to work through it.
(c) They are already on medicines.
(d) Their family knows what to do for them.
6. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
(a) Mental pain doesn't disable one as much as physical pain.
(b) Ones in physical pain receive medicine but don't get better.
(c) Depression hurts worse.
(d) A superhuman ability to endure physical pain for a time.
7. What does he think about art therapy?
(a) He would rather write than paint or draw.
(b) Too difficult hard.
(c) A waste of time.
(d) Skeptical because of the teacher's overly effusive praise, but eventually likes it.
8. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
(a) Diamond matches, Kingsford Charcoal lighter, and Viva towels.
(b) Viva towels, Scotch tape, and Post Raisin Bran cereal box.
(c) Cheez-its box, 3M tape, and Brawny towels.
(d) None, just throws it away in the garbage.
9. According to Styron, what is a frequent theme in his novels?
(d) Family support.
10. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
(a) He knew he would hurt his wife, but had to do it.
(b) He was going to choose a painless method.
(c) It was fully deserved.
(d) Melodramatic, one part of him the actor, and one part of him the audience.
11. What does Styron say family and friends should continue to do for the depressed person?
(a) Tell them to cheer up and get over it.
(b) Watch them constantly to prevent suicide.
(c) Make them talk about their problems.
(d) Validate their worth and sense of self.
12. How did Lincoln attempt to vanquish death due to his own hand?
(a) By declaring war.
(b) By taking medicines prescribed to him.
(c) Through his work that was valued by posterity.
(d) By being the best family man he could.
13. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
(a) Sending all family away for a time.
(b) A revision of their will.
(c) Detailed plans for their death.
(d) A second self who observes the self planning its destruction.
14. What does the doctor tell Styron about his medicine, Halcion, and its dosage?
(a) He needs a much larger dose.
(b) It is the best medicine.
(c) It is three times the normal dose and not recommended for men his age.
(d) It is not effective for depression.
15. What is the second stage of psychological development in depression?
(b) Physical pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
2. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
3. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
4. What reason does Styron give for taking the prescribed medicines without question?
5. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)