|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
(a) Viva towels, Scotch tape, and Post Raisin Bran cereal box.
(b) None, just throws it away in the garbage.
(c) Cheez-its box, 3M tape, and Brawny towels.
(d) Diamond matches, Kingsford Charcoal lighter, and Viva towels.
2. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
(a) He is afraid his friends will desert him.
(b) He is depressed about it.
(c) He feels safe for the first time since he became depressed.
(d) He is afraid his wife will leave him.
3. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
(a) The social stigma and the fact that mental illness is not tangible or visible.
(b) He gets angry whenever they approach the subject.
(c) They don't know he was that bad.
(d) They don't think it would help him.
4. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
(a) A controlled environment and more time.
(c) More medicine.
(d) Freedom from other people and their advise.
5. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
(a) An excruciating pain.
(b) A hole in his heart.
(c) A black tempest.
(d) A deep hole.
6. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
(d) Extreme fear of abandonment.
7. What happens when Styron's medicine is changed?
(a) His depression deepens.
(b) His suicidal thoughts cease.
(c) He can't sleep at night.
(d) He becomes violent and has to be restrained.
8. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
(a) That he just needed some more rest.
(b) That is was difficult and required a lot of strength.
(c) Medicines need to be adjusted correctly.
(d) Writing in his diary helped him recover.
9. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
(a) Sending all family away for a time.
(b) A second self who observes the self planning its destruction.
(c) A revision of their will.
(d) Detailed plans for their death.
10. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
(a) His friend, Gary.
(b) His wife.
(c) The parish priest in "Madame Bovary."
(d) A quack.
11. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
(a) Depression hurts worse.
(b) A superhuman ability to endure physical pain for a time.
(c) Ones in physical pain receive medicine but don't get better.
(d) Mental pain doesn't disable one as much as physical pain.
12. What term does Styron give to the loss of a parent or something early in life?
(a) Incomplete mourning.
(b) Lifelong loss.
(c) Insurmountable loss.
(d) Dark depression.
13. Which writer does Styron quote as saying he had "lost the right path"?
14. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
(a) He immediately got better.
(b) He was in mental anguish, wanting immediate relief.
(c) He demanded another drug.
(d) He didn't notice anything, but was hopeful so did better.
15. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
(a) He could not longer drink any alcohol at all.
(b) His friends deserted him.
(c) His doctor treated him with the wrong drug.
(d) His wife cheated on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
2. What does he think about art therapy?
3. Styron names a number of writers, poets, and sculptors who have what common underlying theme in their work?
4. What does the doctor tell Styron about his medicine, Halcion, and its dosage?
5. What is the phenomenon in which young victims of loss harbor guilt and rage for their entire lives?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)