|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) Man's alienation from other men.
(b) Depression never causes suicide.
(c) Depression always leads to suicide.
(d) All men suffer from deep depression.
2. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(a) Damp weather.
(b) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
(d) Screaming until he was hoarse.
3. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
(a) Heavy, lethargic, awkward, and bloated.
(b) Manic, hyper, shaky, and strange.
(c) Numb, frail, disjointed, and clumsy.
(d) Energetic, strong, capable, and lively.
4. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
(a) Introduced him to Lady del Duco in hopes of winning the award in the future.
(b) Testified for him at a trial in Chicago.
(c) He never really met Hoffman, so didn't do anything for him.
(d) Referred him to a psychiatrist in New York.
5. Though Styron feels alone, who is always with him?
(a) His wife, Rose.
(b) His friend, Gary.
(c) His children.
(d) His psychiatrist.
6. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
(a) New York.
7. In what way does Styron's depression come upon him?
(a) He really didn't know how it happened.
(b) A slight sadness intensified rapidly over time.
(c) It hit him suddenly one night.
(d) Slowly in increments.
8. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
(a) He begins to write much faster and more productively.
(b) It eventually becomes non-existent.
(c) His writing doesn't make sense.
(d) He gets published much easier.
9. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
(a) William Styron.
(b) Cino del Duco
(c) Romain Gary.
(d) Rose Styron.
10. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) A guide to treatment.
(b) Very inaccurate guide.
(c) A good manual.
(d) The psychiatrist's bible.
11. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
12. According to Styron, what do people closest to those who commit suicide often do?
(a) Grieve longer than for death from other reasons.
(b) Deny that the death was suicide.
(c) Begin suffering from depression and are in danger of suicide also.
(d) Denounce their loved one.
13. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
(a) Heroin and tobacco.
(b) Alcohol and Halcion.
(c) Cocaine and alcohol.
(d) Tobacco and alcohol.
14. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
(a) A couple of years.
(b) A month.
(d) A year.
15. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
(a) Mourning for loss.
(b) A blue funk.
(c) A weak psyche.
(d) A brain storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
2. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
3. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
4. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
5. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)