|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
2. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
(a) He thinks they are graceful.
(b) He is frozen in anxiety at the sight of them.
(c) They temporarily restore his good feelings.
(d) He tries to shoot them.
3. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
(b) Retire early and write.
(c) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
(d) Give it all to charity.
4. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) Whether to tell his wife or not.
(b) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
(c) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
(d) What doctor to see about it.
5. How did Levi commit suicide?
(a) Hurled himself down a flight of stairs.
(b) Hung himself.
(c) Stepped in front of a moving car.
(d) Took an overdose of pills.
6. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Romain Gary.
(b) Cino del Duca.
(c) Albert Camus.
(d) Abbie Hoffman.
7. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(b) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
(c) Rich people.
(d) Poor people.
8. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
(a) He begins to write much faster and more productively.
(b) It eventually becomes non-existent.
(c) His writing doesn't make sense.
(d) He gets published much easier.
9. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
10. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
(a) Cino del Duco
(b) Rose Styron.
(c) William Styron.
(d) Romain Gary.
11. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
12. In what way does Styron's depression come upon him?
(a) Slowly in increments.
(b) He really didn't know how it happened.
(c) It hit him suddenly one night.
(d) A slight sadness intensified rapidly over time.
13. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
(b) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
(c) He didn't know Camus very well.
(d) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
14. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
(a) He couldn't give good advice because the depression made him suicidal.
(b) He had to be hospitalized so couldn't finish the memoir in the manner he wanted.
(c) He couldn't write so well because of the immobility of depression.
(d) Its complexity made the memoir about only one person limited.
15. What is the old term for depression?
(b) Mental deficit.
(d) Manic depressive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Styron spend his summers?
2. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
3. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
4. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
5. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)