|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
(a) He couldn't give good advice because the depression made him suicidal.
(b) He had to be hospitalized so couldn't finish the memoir in the manner he wanted.
(c) He couldn't write so well because of the immobility of depression.
(d) Its complexity made the memoir about only one person limited.
2. According to Styron, what often leads depressed people to commit suicide?
(a) Because of moral weakness and lack of character.
(b) Because they don't have a very strong will to live.
(c) Because they don't love their families like other people do.
(d) Because depression is so deep they can't see any other way out.
3. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) Dr. Adkins.
(b) Dr. Adolf Meier.
(c) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(d) Dr. Gold.
4. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
(b) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
(c) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
(d) The title didn't fit the story.
5. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
(a) People can't understand what it means.
(b) It has not been heard of before.
(c) It is the word for a hole in the ground, which is very demeaning for a name of a major illness.
(d) It indicates a weak person.
6. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
(a) That they had no other way to escape.
(b) That secrecy and shame are not the right reaction.
(c) That they were always good writers.
(d) That they were weak and couldn't handle pain.
7. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
(a) His check for $25,000.
(b) Control of his anger.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His mind.
8. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "The Stranger."
(b) "The Long Day."
(c) "Paradise Lost."
(d) "Reflections of Life."
9. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) His father and brother.
(b) Job and Milton.
(c) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
(d) His son and brother.
10. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
(a) They were devastated and grieved over it.
(b) They didn't believe it.
(c) They tried to ignore him and his work after that.
(d) They were mystified and believed him to be weak.
11. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
(a) The French bidet.
(b) His memoir.
(c) Paris museums.
(d) The restaurant he went to after getting his award.
12. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) He didn't know Camus very well.
(b) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
(c) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
(d) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
13. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
(b) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
(c) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
(d) That it was a form of suicide.
14. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That he did have some good times in the past.
(b) That his life has been great.
(c) That he has come full circle.
(d) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
15. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
(a) William Styron.
(b) Rose Styron.
(c) Cino del Duco
(d) Romain Gary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
2. Styron calls depression:
3. What is the award Styron receives?
4. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
5. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)