|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
(a) He tries to shoot them.
(b) They temporarily restore his good feelings.
(c) He thinks they are graceful.
(d) He is frozen in anxiety at the sight of them.
2. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
(a) It had no effect on his mood.
(b) It lightened his mood for a good amount of time.
(c) It is an upper, but depressed him.
(d) It is a depressant, but didn't depress him.
3. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
(a) What medicines are effective?
(b) Why doesn't the person just cheer up and get over it?
(c) Why do some who suffered commit suicide while others don't?
(d) Why would a person who has everything still be depressed?
4. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
(c) His wife.
(d) His children.
5. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
(a) His best friend.
(b) Control of his anger.
(c) His mind.
(d) His check for $25,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
2. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
3. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
4. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
5. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)