|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
2. What is the old term for depression?
(a) Mental deficit.
(b) Manic depressive.
3. To what does Styron compare medical treatment for depression?
(a) To cancer treatment.
(b) To a child's early life.
(c) To fighting infection before the discovery of penicillin.
(d) To the early evolution of dinosaurs.
4. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
(a) His wife.
(b) His children.
5. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
(a) He knew Camus was going to commit suicide and did nothing about it.
(b) He didn't believe Camus really suffered from depression.
(c) He had tried to convince Camus to get help.
(d) That Gary saw the same depression in himself, though it was controlled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
2. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
3. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
4. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
5. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)