|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
(a) He had a terminal illness and was in pain.
(b) He often mentioned life wasn't worth living.
(c) He wanted his wife to have money and his insurance would give it to her.
(d) Black despondency, violent fluctuation of mood, and his deep depression.
2. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That his life has been great.
(b) That he has come full circle.
(c) That he did have some good times in the past.
(d) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
3. What does the doctor tell Styron about his medicine, Halcion, and its dosage?
(a) It is three times the normal dose and not recommended for men his age.
(b) It is the best medicine.
(c) It is not effective for depression.
(d) He needs a much larger dose.
4. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(a) Only five.
(c) More women than men.
5. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
(b) His father and brother.
(c) His son and brother.
(d) Job and Milton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
2. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
3. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
4. How did Levi commit suicide?
5. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)