|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
(a) Take long walks in the woods.
(b) Get his doctor to give him more medicine.
(c) Clung to familiar items like glasses and pens.
(d) Drink huge amounts of alcohol.
2. What does Styron say about assigning reasons for suicide to those who take that route?
(a) That people who commit suicide are justified in doing it.
(b) Most of the time the cause is not one incident, but overwhelming depression.
(c) That people who commit suicide don't love their families.
(d) That only weak people commit suicide.
3. What effect does the failure of medicines to act quickly have on the depressed person?
(a) It keeps them in a state of anxiety and hopelessness.
(b) They give up and do something different.
(c) Many of them commit suicide.
(d) They get better even though the medicines don't work.
4. What does he think about art therapy?
(a) He would rather write than paint or draw.
(b) A waste of time.
(c) Too difficult hard.
(d) Skeptical because of the teacher's overly effusive praise, but eventually likes it.
5. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To go to the hospital for treatment.
(b) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(c) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
(d) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
2. Though Styron feels alone, who is always with him?
3. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
4. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
5. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)