|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
(a) Levi worked out all the time and was very strong.
(b) Levi had survived the Auschwitz and cared for his paralyzed mother.
(c) Levi was involved in so many good causes.
(d) Levi was such a good writer.
2. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
(c) Intense anxiety.
(d) Loss of friendships.
3. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
(a) Depressed people are clumsy and suffer several injuries.
(b) The mind can better accept that there is a physical cause than a mental one.
(c) Depressed persons have more illnesses.
(d) Illness leads to depression.
4. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
(a) Camus gets upset at Styron for his moods.
(b) Camus dies in a car accident.
(c) Camus leaves on his honeymoon.
(d) Camus leaves Paris.
5. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
(a) A weak psyche.
(b) Mourning for loss.
(c) A blue funk.
(d) A brain storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Styron not able to recover?
2. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
3. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
4. Why does Styron say depression was no stranger when it came to him?
5. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)