|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron do about his physical disabilities?
(a) Stops work and stays at home.
(b) Welcomes the possibility that he might die from one of them.
(c) Gets scared he was going to die.
(d) He undergoes several thousands of dollars of testing to find out he was physically fine.
2. What sort of people does Styron say is more prone to depression?
(a) Poor people.
(b) People who have lost loved ones.
(c) Artistic people.
(d) People with above average intelligence.
3. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) All men suffer from deep depression.
(b) Depression never causes suicide.
(c) Depression always leads to suicide.
(d) Man's alienation from other men.
4. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
(a) Referred him to a psychiatrist in New York.
(b) He never really met Hoffman, so didn't do anything for him.
(c) Testified for him at a trial in Chicago.
(d) Introduced him to Lady del Duco in hopes of winning the award in the future.
5. Though depression tends to recur, what advantage do sufferers of recurrence have?
(a) They know it is curable and know how to work through it.
(b) They know the best doctors and hospitals to use.
(c) Their family knows what to do for them.
(d) They are already on medicines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
2. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
3. What is the phenomenon in which young victims of loss harbor guilt and rage for their entire lives?
4. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
5. What famous poet does Styron name as an example of excellent works by a depressed person?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)