|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
(a) She was cheating on him.
(b) She didn't believe he committed suicide.
(c) Because of the stigma of suicide.
(d) Because she couldn't collect his life insurance.
2. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
(a) His friend, Gary.
(b) His wife.
(c) The parish priest in "Madame Bovary."
(d) A quack.
3. According to Styron, what is the greatest fallacy about suicide?
(a) That people only have to "buck up."
(b) The idea that there is one particular cause.
(c) That suicide is a painless way to go.
(d) That all depressed people commit suicide.
4. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
(a) He reads portions of it to his friends.
(b) He wraps it and throws it in the garbage.
(c) He gives it to a friend to publish.
(d) He hides it from his friends and wife.
5. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
(a) Energetic, strong, capable, and lively.
(b) Manic, hyper, shaky, and strange.
(c) Heavy, lethargic, awkward, and bloated.
(d) Numb, frail, disjointed, and clumsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
2. What piece of music moves Styron to his breakthrough and hospitalization?
3. What does he think about art therapy?
4. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
5. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)