|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Levi commit suicide?
(a) Took an overdose of pills.
(b) Stepped in front of a moving car.
(c) Hurled himself down a flight of stairs.
(d) Hung himself.
2. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Is life worth living?
(b) Are all suicides due to weak character?
(c) Why does life have hardships?
(d) Does man depend on other men?
3. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
4. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
(a) He knew he would hurt his wife, but had to do it.
(b) It was fully deserved.
(c) Melodramatic, one part of him the actor, and one part of him the audience.
(d) He was going to choose a painless method.
5. What does the doctor tell Styron about his medicine, Halcion, and its dosage?
(a) It is three times the normal dose and not recommended for men his age.
(b) He needs a much larger dose.
(c) It is the best medicine.
(d) It is not effective for depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Styron give to the loss of a parent or something early in life?
2. According to Styron, what is the touchstone of depression?
3. What does Styron say is the most important consideration in depression?
4. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
5. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)