|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
(a) He couldn't write so well because of the immobility of depression.
(b) Its complexity made the memoir about only one person limited.
(c) He couldn't give good advice because the depression made him suicidal.
(d) He had to be hospitalized so couldn't finish the memoir in the manner he wanted.
2. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
(b) His wife.
(c) His children.
3. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
(a) Depressed people are clumsy and suffer several injuries.
(b) Illness leads to depression.
(c) Depressed persons have more illnesses.
(d) The mind can better accept that there is a physical cause than a mental one.
4. Styron dates the onset of his deep depression to what event?
(a) His wife's leaving him.
(b) His inability to drink alcohol.
(c) The death of several of his friends.
(d) His chilren all leaving home.
5. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
(a) Take long walks in the woods.
(b) Get his doctor to give him more medicine.
(c) Drink huge amounts of alcohol.
(d) Clung to familiar items like glasses and pens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
2. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
3. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
4. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
5. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)