|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
(a) He thinks they both had depression.
(b) He doesn't think their writing was very good.
(c) He thinks they should move to America where they would be more recognized.
(d) He thinks they should have won the award.
2. How did Lincoln attempt to vanquish death due to his own hand?
(a) By being the best family man he could.
(b) By declaring war.
(c) Through his work that was valued by posterity.
(d) By taking medicines prescribed to him.
3. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
(a) He had tried to convince Camus to get help.
(b) He knew Camus was going to commit suicide and did nothing about it.
(c) He didn't believe Camus really suffered from depression.
(d) That Gary saw the same depression in himself, though it was controlled.
4. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
(a) The situation of the walking wounded.
(b) Potentially criminal people.
(c) A sure suicide.
(d) The position of being in a black fog.
5. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(b) Dr. Adkins.
(c) Dr. Adolf Meier.
(d) Dr. Gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
2. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
3. What is so frustrating about depression for artists, musicians, and scientists?
4. What effect does the failure of medicines to act quickly have on the depressed person?
5. Styron dates the onset of his deep depression to what event?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)