|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
(b) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
(c) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
(d) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
2. To what does Styron compare medical treatment for depression?
(a) To the early evolution of dinosaurs.
(b) To cancer treatment.
(c) To a child's early life.
(d) To fighting infection before the discovery of penicillin.
3. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(b) That life isn't worth living.
(c) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(d) That his friends must be weak.
4. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
(a) It is an upper, but depressed him.
(b) It is a depressant, but didn't depress him.
(c) It lightened his mood for a good amount of time.
(d) It had no effect on his mood.
5. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Give it all to charity.
(b) Retire early and write.
(c) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
(d) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
2. For Styron, what is the most devastating loss of physical functions?
3. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
4. According to Styron, what would be the only answer if depression was incurable?
5. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)