|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
(a) Take long walks in the woods.
(b) Drink huge amounts of alcohol.
(c) Get his doctor to give him more medicine.
(d) Clung to familiar items like glasses and pens.
2. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "Reflections of Life."
(b) "The Long Day."
(c) "Paradise Lost."
(d) "The Stranger."
3. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
(a) Doctors who know what to do.
(b) The hope of deliverance is absent and makes it almost impossible to endure.
(c) Good hospitals.
(d) Medicine to treat it.
4. What does this music make him realize?
(a) That he didn't want to life any more.
(b) That music could restore his soul.
(c) That his suicide would hurt his wife too much.
(d) That he couldn't leave all the pleasant memories that the house around him held.
5. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
(a) They tried to ignore him and his work after that.
(b) They were devastated and grieved over it.
(c) They were mystified and believed him to be weak.
(d) They didn't believe it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
2. What reason does Styron give for taking the prescribed medicines without question?
3. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
4. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
5. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)