|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Styron say depression was no stranger when it came to him?
(a) He was friends with a psychiatrist who knew all about it.
(b) It was in many of his writings and also his father had suffered from it.
(c) His wife had suffered from it for years.
(d) He had studied it in depth.
2. What reason does Styron give for taking the prescribed medicines without question?
(a) He didn't know anything about the medicine.
(b) His doctor threathened the hospital if he didn't take it.
(c) He was too depressed to notice.
(d) He was told the medicine was harmless.
3. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
4. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
(a) He was a family member so depressed that he had no profession.
(b) He was a fellow writer and philosopher.
(c) He was a political activist.
(d) He was Styron's psychiatrist.
5. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
(a) Styron had left to go to Paris.
(b) Styron refused to come out of his room.
(c) Styron was in the hospital.
(d) Styron had only smiled in a few pictures but still looked as if in despair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
2. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
3. What two things does Styron believe led to his depression?
4. What effect does the failure of medicines to act quickly have on the depressed person?
5. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)