|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He can't talk to his wife any more.
(b) He can't think clearly anymore.
(c) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(d) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
2. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) Mothers who enjoy their role.
(b) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
(c) People younger than their teens.
(d) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
3. What is Styron not able to recover?
(a) His family.
(b) His lucidity.
(c) His friendships.
(d) His fame.
4. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Give it all to charity.
(b) Retire early and write.
(c) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
(d) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
5. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
(a) His wife.
(c) His children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
2. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
3. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
4. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
5. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)