|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
(a) A superhuman ability to endure physical pain for a time.
(b) Ones in physical pain receive medicine but don't get better.
(c) Mental pain doesn't disable one as much as physical pain.
(d) Depression hurts worse.
2. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
(a) He cries throughout the dinner because of his depression.
(b) He brags through the whole dinner party about his accomplishments.
(c) He is catatonic and does not speak.
(d) He gets angry and speaks hatefully to them.
3. How did Levi commit suicide?
(a) Hung himself.
(b) Stepped in front of a moving car.
(c) Hurled himself down a flight of stairs.
(d) Took an overdose of pills.
4. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
(a) Diamond matches, Kingsford Charcoal lighter, and Viva towels.
(b) None, just throws it away in the garbage.
(c) Cheez-its box, 3M tape, and Brawny towels.
(d) Viva towels, Scotch tape, and Post Raisin Bran cereal box.
5. Styron calls depression:
(a) Very common.
(b) Terrible sadness.
(c) Very rare.
(d) Disorder of mood.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, what is the greatest fallacy about suicide?
2. Styron names a number of writers, poets, and sculptors who have what common underlying theme in their work?
3. How does his diary represent his mental state?
4. In the movie, "Through a Glass Darkly," the hallucination that the actress has is about what?
5. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)