|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
(a) Seeing his two friends.
(b) Seeing the Hotel.
(c) Winning the award.
(d) Visiting the museum.
2. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
(a) He was going to choose a painless method.
(b) Melodramatic, one part of him the actor, and one part of him the audience.
(c) It was fully deserved.
(d) He knew he would hurt his wife, but had to do it.
3. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) His father and brother.
(b) Job and Milton.
(c) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
(d) His son and brother.
4. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "The Stranger."
(b) "The Long Day."
(c) "Reflections of Life."
(d) "Paradise Lost."
5. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
(a) She shot herself.
(b) She disappeared and was never found again.
(c) She was killed by someone, probably Gary himself.
(d) She took an overdose of pills and her body was found in a car after several days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Styron's avoidance of death due to?
2. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
3. What is Styron's first dream in many months?
4. What does Styron do about his physical disabilities?
5. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)