|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Withdrawal from friendships.
(b) Constant weepiness.
(c) Lack of cohesive thought.
(d) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
2. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(b) Only five.
(c) More women than men.
3. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
(a) She played it on the piano.
(b) He had heard her sing it.
(c) It was played at her funeral.
(d) It spoke of a lady like her.
4. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
(a) A controlled environment and more time.
(b) More medicine.
(d) Freedom from other people and their advise.
5. For Styron, what do the black whirling stars of Van Gogh represent?
(a) The everlasting nature of man's soul.
(b) Precursors of his plunge into dementia and self-annihilation.
(c) The darkness of depression.
(d) The beauty of the night sky.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say would cause many depression-related suicides?
2. What term does Styron give to the loss of a parent or something early in life?
3. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
4. What is Styron not able to recover?
5. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)