|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
(a) Incessant talking.
(b) An inability to be still, constantly moving.
(c) Deep, dark imaginings.
(d) Argumentative with family and friends.
2. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
(a) It will take his life if allowed to continue.
(b) That he is a very weak person to let it rule his life.
(c) That he needs to get a handle on it.
(d) That he is recovering.
3. What does he think about art therapy?
(a) He would rather write than paint or draw.
(b) A waste of time.
(c) Skeptical because of the teacher's overly effusive praise, but eventually likes it.
(d) Too difficult hard.
4. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
(a) A hole in his heart.
(b) An excruciating pain.
(c) A black tempest.
(d) A deep hole.
5. What hope does Styron say a depressed person can have?
(a) That it will eventually subside and healing will occur.
(b) That medicines can cure depression and it will never recur.
(c) That family and friends will be supportive.
(d) That suicide will relieve their distress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Styron believe led to his depression?
2. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
3. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
4. What does Styron say would prevent many suicides?
5. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)