|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Styron calls depression:
(a) Very common.
(b) Very rare.
(c) Terrible sadness.
(d) Disorder of mood.
2. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
(c) School teacherrs.
(d) Artistic types.
3. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(b) Poor people.
(c) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
(d) Rich people.
4. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
(a) He doesn't want to see any trace, such as ashes.
(b) He doesn't want to start a fire and let his friends know what he was doing.
(c) It better represents the annihilation of a loathful self, and deserves to be thrown in the garbage as well.
(d) He is afraid of fire, so couldn't bring himself to burn the diary.
5. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
(b) Freedom from other people and their advise.
(c) More medicine.
(d) A controlled environment and more time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
2. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
3. What is Styron not able to recover?
4. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
5. Styron names a number of writers, poets, and sculptors who have what common underlying theme in their work?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)