|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(b) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
(c) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
(d) Plan his own suicide.
2. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He finally felt free again.
(b) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(c) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
(d) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
3. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
(c) School teacherrs.
(d) Artistic types.
4. What sort of people does Styron say is more prone to depression?
(a) Artistic people.
(b) Poor people.
(c) People with above average intelligence.
(d) People who have lost loved ones.
5. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(b) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
(c) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
(d) To go to the hospital for treatment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
2. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
3. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
4. According to Styron, what often leads depressed people to commit suicide?
5. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)