|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
(a) Seeing his two friends.
(b) Visiting the museum.
(c) Seeing the Hotel.
(d) Winning the award.
2. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "The Stranger."
(b) "The Long Day."
(c) "Reflections of Life."
(d) "Paradise Lost."
3. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
(a) Halcion and Ativan.
(b) Halcion and Ibuprofen.
(c) Prozac and Ativan.
(d) Penicillin and Halcion.
4. How does his diary represent his mental state?
(a) It was a treatise on mental illness.
(b) It corresponded to his moods as he wrote about them.
(c) That when he wanted to destroy it, he was close to his own death.
(d) It contained all his thoughts and feelings.
5. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
(a) The hope of deliverance is absent and makes it almost impossible to endure.
(b) Doctors who know what to do.
(c) Medicine to treat it.
(d) Good hospitals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron do about his physical disabilities?
2. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
3. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
4. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
5. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)