|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
2. What is the award Styron receives?
(a) He didn't receive one, he was giving one.
(b) Newberry Award.
(c) Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award.
(d) Nobel Peace Prize.
3. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
(a) Levi was involved in so many good causes.
(b) Levi worked out all the time and was very strong.
(c) Levi was such a good writer.
(d) Levi had survived the Auschwitz and cared for his paralyzed mother.
4. What term does Styron give to the loss of a parent or something early in life?
(a) Incomplete mourning.
(b) Insurmountable loss.
(c) Lifelong loss.
(d) Dark depression.
5. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(b) He finally felt free again.
(c) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(d) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
2. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
3. What is Styron not able to recover?
4. What does Styron say the award he received should have done for him?
5. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)