|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
(a) He gets sleepy and couldn't work.
(b) He suffers from panic and anxiety.
(c) He takes naps and had nightmares during the nap.
(d) He has to go to his doctor every afternoon.
2. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
(a) A revision of their will.
(b) A second self who observes the self planning its destruction.
(c) Detailed plans for their death.
(d) Sending all family away for a time.
3. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
(a) He doesn't eat anything while he was there.
(b) He refuses to go to a luncheon in his honor.
(c) He doesn't visit anything but the museum.
(d) The bathrooms have bidets in them.
4. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
(a) He is unable to make certain sounds.
(b) It slows to a halting rate.
(c) It becomes very rapid.
(d) Nothing happens to his speech.
5. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
(a) He didn't believe Camus really suffered from depression.
(b) That Gary saw the same depression in himself, though it was controlled.
(c) He had tried to convince Camus to get help.
(d) He knew Camus was going to commit suicide and did nothing about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What therapies are used in the hospital?
2. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
3. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
4. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
5. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)