|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say would cause many depression-related suicides?
(a) Lack of moral strength by the depressed person.
(b) Lack of awareness by others about the intensity of the pain.
(c) Lack of psychiatric treatment protocols.
(d) Lack of medicines to treat depression.
2. From Job to Styron's day, he says artists and writers have been trying to do what?
(a) Build better relationships to overcome depression.
(b) Overcome the effects of depression that overcome artists.
(c) Explain the blackness of the fantasia of depression.
(d) Cheer up people who suffer from depression with their works.
3. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(a) Poor people.
(b) Rich people.
(d) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
4. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
(a) Seven weeks.
(b) Almost a year.
(c) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
5. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
(a) That he needs to get a handle on it.
(b) That he is a very weak person to let it rule his life.
(c) That he is recovering.
(d) It will take his life if allowed to continue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Styron dates the onset of his deep depression to what event?
2. According to Styron, what is the greatest fallacy about suicide?
3. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
4. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
5. How does Styron describe his recovery from depression?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)