|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
(a) Its unrelenting nature.
(b) The inability of the depressed person to absorb pain beyond predictable periods of time.
(c) Its deep intensity.
(d) Its pervasiveness.
2. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(b) Their son was caught between their differences.
(c) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
(d) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
3. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(a) Only five.
(b) More women than men.
4. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Albert Camus.
(b) Romain Gary.
(c) Abbie Hoffman.
(d) Cino del Duca.
5. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
(a) She shot herself.
(b) She was killed by someone, probably Gary himself.
(c) She took an overdose of pills and her body was found in a car after several days.
(d) She disappeared and was never found again.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
2. What does Styron do about his physical disabilities?
3. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
4. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
5. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)