|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) Job and Milton.
(b) His son and brother.
(c) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
(d) His father and brother.
2. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
(a) He thinks they should have won the award.
(b) He doesn't think their writing was very good.
(c) He thinks they both had depression.
(d) He thinks they should move to America where they would be more recognized.
3. What does this music make him realize?
(a) That his suicide would hurt his wife too much.
(b) That he couldn't leave all the pleasant memories that the house around him held.
(c) That he didn't want to life any more.
(d) That music could restore his soul.
4. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
(a) He begins to suffer nausea when drinking alcohol, which he had depended upon.
(b) Trouble with his wife.
(c) The loss of several friends to suicide.
(d) Being isolated in Connecticut in the winter.
5. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(b) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
(c) Plan his own suicide.
(d) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
2. Where does Styron spend his summers?
3. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
4. For Styron, what is the most devastating loss of physical functions?
5. According to Styron, what do people closest to those who commit suicide often do?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)