|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
(a) A revision of their will.
(b) Detailed plans for their death.
(c) A second self who observes the self planning its destruction.
(d) Sending all family away for a time.
2. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
(b) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
(c) "Madness breeds madness."
(d) "Man's madness is his downfall."
3. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
(b) That his life has been great.
(c) That he did have some good times in the past.
(d) That he has come full circle.
4. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
(a) Levi was such a good writer.
(b) Levi had survived the Auschwitz and cared for his paralyzed mother.
(c) Levi worked out all the time and was very strong.
(d) Levi was involved in so many good causes.
5. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(b) Only five.
(c) More women than men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
2. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
3. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
4. What does Styron say about assigning reasons for suicide to those who take that route?
5. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)