|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
(b) That it was a form of suicide.
(c) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
(d) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
2. Styron calls depression:
(a) Very rare.
(b) Terrible sadness.
(c) Very common.
(d) Disorder of mood.
3. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
(a) It was played at her funeral.
(b) He had heard her sing it.
(c) It spoke of a lady like her.
(d) She played it on the piano.
4. What is Styron's diary a symbol of?
(a) His path through depression.
(b) His self-esteem and self-worth.
(c) His writing goals.
(d) His hopelessness in the face of depression.
5. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
(a) Tells him he would have to wait ten days before starting his new medicine, and then it would take 6-8 weeks to work.
(b) Puts him in the hospital.
(c) Tells him he was never going to recover.
(d) Tells him to leave his wife if he wanted to get better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
2. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
3. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
4. What does Styron think after his flashback?
5. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)