|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
(a) His doctor treated him with the wrong drug.
(b) His friends deserted him.
(c) His wife cheated on him.
(d) He could not longer drink any alcohol at all.
2. In the movie, "Through a Glass Darkly," the hallucination that the actress has is about what?
(a) Snakes crawling on the ceiling.
(b) Getting lost in the woods
(c) Monsters in her closet.
(d) A spider trying to sexually attack her.
3. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
4. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
(a) He thinks they both had depression.
(b) He thinks they should move to America where they would be more recognized.
(c) He thinks they should have won the award.
(d) He doesn't think their writing was very good.
5. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
(a) Extreme joy.
(c) Excessive sleepiness.
(d) Lack of sexual interest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
2. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
3. Styron dates the onset of his deep depression to what event?
4. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
5. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)