|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
(a) He hides it from his friends and wife.
(b) He gives it to a friend to publish.
(c) He wraps it and throws it in the garbage.
(d) He reads portions of it to his friends.
2. What new approach does Styron's psychiatrist use?
(a) DSM recommendations.
(c) Disattachment therapy.
(d) Pharmacological, without physical and mental support.
3. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
(a) Levi worked out all the time and was very strong.
(b) Levi had survived the Auschwitz and cared for his paralyzed mother.
(c) Levi was such a good writer.
(d) Levi was involved in so many good causes.
4. From Job to Styron's day, he says artists and writers have been trying to do what?
(a) Overcome the effects of depression that overcome artists.
(b) Explain the blackness of the fantasia of depression.
(c) Cheer up people who suffer from depression with their works.
(d) Build better relationships to overcome depression.
5. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
(b) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(c) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(d) He finally felt free again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
2. What does he think about art therapy?
3. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
4. Who is Styron's literary guide?
5. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)