|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
(a) People indicated they just didn't understand depression.
(b) He learned his piece had saved someone's life, so wanted to reach out with more information.
(c) The number of people reacting positively causes him to think sharing his experiences would be beneficial.
(d) His editor asked him to write the memoir.
2. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) All men suffer from deep depression.
(b) Man's alienation from other men.
(c) Depression always leads to suicide.
(d) Depression never causes suicide.
3. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
(a) Artistic types.
(b) School teacherrs.
4. In what way does Styron's depression come upon him?
(a) A slight sadness intensified rapidly over time.
(b) He really didn't know how it happened.
(c) Slowly in increments.
(d) It hit him suddenly one night.
5. What does this music make him realize?
(a) That music could restore his soul.
(b) That he couldn't leave all the pleasant memories that the house around him held.
(c) That his suicide would hurt his wife too much.
(d) That he didn't want to life any more.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though the death of the poet, Randall Jarrell, was ruled accidental, why does Styron say it was probably suicide?
2. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
3. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
4. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
5. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)