|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
(a) He doesn't want to start a fire and let his friends know what he was doing.
(b) He is afraid of fire, so couldn't bring himself to burn the diary.
(c) It better represents the annihilation of a loathful self, and deserves to be thrown in the garbage as well.
(d) He doesn't want to see any trace, such as ashes.
2. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
(a) It is the word for a hole in the ground, which is very demeaning for a name of a major illness.
(b) It indicates a weak person.
(c) People can't understand what it means.
(d) It has not been heard of before.
3. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
(a) The position of being in a black fog.
(b) A sure suicide.
(c) The situation of the walking wounded.
(d) Potentially criminal people.
4. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
(a) He couldn't write so well because of the immobility of depression.
(b) Its complexity made the memoir about only one person limited.
(c) He couldn't give good advice because the depression made him suicidal.
(d) He had to be hospitalized so couldn't finish the memoir in the manner he wanted.
5. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
(a) The number of people reacting positively causes him to think sharing his experiences would be beneficial.
(b) People indicated they just didn't understand depression.
(c) His editor asked him to write the memoir.
(d) He learned his piece had saved someone's life, so wanted to reach out with more information.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
2. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
3. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
4. What does he think about art therapy?
5. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)