|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From Job to Styron's day, he says artists and writers have been trying to do what?
(a) Cheer up people who suffer from depression with their works.
(b) Build better relationships to overcome depression.
(c) Explain the blackness of the fantasia of depression.
(d) Overcome the effects of depression that overcome artists.
2. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
(a) Detailed plans for their death.
(b) A second self who observes the self planning its destruction.
(c) A revision of their will.
(d) Sending all family away for a time.
3. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
(b) His father and brother.
(c) Job and Milton.
(d) His son and brother.
4. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
(b) Many people thought Styron was weak.
(c) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
(d) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
5. At what point in one's life does Styron say the seeds of depression are planted?
(a) In middle age.
(b) In childhood.
(c) There is not one particular time, it varies.
(d) In early adulthood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Styron's first dream in many months?
2. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
3. Where does Styron spend his summers?
4. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
5. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)