|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say depression is like?
(a) A sadness.
(b) Drowning or suffocation.
(c) Makes him angry at everyone.
(d) An extra sleepy mood.
2. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
(b) The title didn't fit the story.
(c) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
(d) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
3. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(b) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
(c) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(d) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
4. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
(b) Retire early and write.
(c) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
(d) Give it all to charity.
5. What therapies are used in the hospital?
(a) Medicines and psychotherapy.
(b) Shock treatment and medicines.
(c) No therapies; Styron just rested.
(d) Group therapy, art therapy, and watching TV shows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
2. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
3. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
4. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
5. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)