|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
(a) Black despondency, violent fluctuation of mood, and his deep depression.
(b) He wanted his wife to have money and his insurance would give it to her.
(c) He often mentioned life wasn't worth living.
(d) He had a terminal illness and was in pain.
2. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Albert Camus.
(b) Abbie Hoffman.
(c) Cino del Duca.
(d) Romain Gary.
3. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
(a) A superhuman ability to endure physical pain for a time.
(b) Mental pain doesn't disable one as much as physical pain.
(c) Ones in physical pain receive medicine but don't get better.
(d) Depression hurts worse.
4. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
(a) They don't think it would help him.
(b) They don't know he was that bad.
(c) He gets angry whenever they approach the subject.
(d) The social stigma and the fact that mental illness is not tangible or visible.
5. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
(a) He refuses to go to a luncheon in his honor.
(b) The bathrooms have bidets in them.
(c) He doesn't eat anything while he was there.
(d) He doesn't visit anything but the museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Styron give to the loss of a parent or something early in life?
2. What does he think about art therapy?
3. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
4. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
5. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)