|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For Styron, what is the most devastating loss of physical functions?
(a) His sexual drive.
(b) His ability to sleep and lack of dreaming.
(c) His ability to stay awake during the day.
(d) His agility and interest in sports.
2. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
(a) More medicine.
(b) Freedom from other people and their advise.
(c) A controlled environment and more time.
3. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
(a) He gets sleepy and couldn't work.
(b) He takes naps and had nightmares during the nap.
(c) He has to go to his doctor every afternoon.
(d) He suffers from panic and anxiety.
4. Though the death of the poet, Randall Jarrell, was ruled accidental, why does Styron say it was probably suicide?
(a) Because of Jarrell's depression and the fact there was no reason for him to be on the road on which he was struck by a car.
(b) He wanted to gain support for his theory that depression led to suicide.
(c) He wanted to discredit Jarrell because of a disagreement they had.
(d) He didn't want Jarrell's widow to receive the large insurance settlement.
5. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
(a) Run away from his wife and home.
(b) Try to kill himself.
(c) Write even more in an attempt to understand it.
(d) Go to bed for hours every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
2. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
3. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
4. What reaction does Styron have to group therapy?
5. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)