|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
(a) Tells him he was never going to recover.
(b) Puts him in the hospital.
(c) Tells him he would have to wait ten days before starting his new medicine, and then it would take 6-8 weeks to work.
(d) Tells him to leave his wife if he wanted to get better.
2. According to Styron, what do people closest to those who commit suicide often do?
(a) Grieve longer than for death from other reasons.
(b) Begin suffering from depression and are in danger of suicide also.
(c) Denounce their loved one.
(d) Deny that the death was suicide.
3. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "Man's madness is his downfall."
(b) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
(c) "Madness breeds madness."
(d) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
4. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
(a) It causes him to stop writing for a while.
(b) It causes him to want to write much better than he felt Camus did.
(c) It gives him some ideas about stories he wants to write.
(d) It leads to his using a narrator on death row to tell the story in "Confessions of Nat Turner."
5. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It made him feel high.
(b) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
(c) It helped him relax with his friends.
(d) It kept him from catching illnesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
2. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
3. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
4. Though Styron feels alone, who is always with him?
5. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)