|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
(a) It makes him realize depression could be overcome if the person just cheered himself up.
(b) It makes him realize life is too short.
(c) It makes him realize mankind's responsibility for the larger world.
(d) It makes him realize depression was a personal thing.
2. What is the old term for depression?
(b) Manic depressive.
(d) Mental deficit.
3. Styron calls depression:
(a) Very common.
(b) Disorder of mood.
(c) Very rare.
(d) Terrible sadness.
4. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
(a) He never really met Hoffman, so didn't do anything for him.
(b) Introduced him to Lady del Duco in hopes of winning the award in the future.
(c) Referred him to a psychiatrist in New York.
(d) Testified for him at a trial in Chicago.
5. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
(a) Depression hurts worse.
(b) Mental pain doesn't disable one as much as physical pain.
(c) A superhuman ability to endure physical pain for a time.
(d) Ones in physical pain receive medicine but don't get better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
2. What events led to Abraham Lincoln suffering depression and even attempting suicide?
3. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
4. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
5. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)