|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
(a) It had no effect on his mood.
(b) It is a depressant, but didn't depress him.
(c) It is an upper, but depressed him.
(d) It lightened his mood for a good amount of time.
2. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(b) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
(c) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(d) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
3. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
(a) Tells him to leave his wife if he wanted to get better.
(b) Tells him he was never going to recover.
(c) Tells him he would have to wait ten days before starting his new medicine, and then it would take 6-8 weeks to work.
(d) Puts him in the hospital.
4. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
(a) He doesn't visit anything but the museum.
(b) He refuses to go to a luncheon in his honor.
(c) The bathrooms have bidets in them.
(d) He doesn't eat anything while he was there.
5. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Is life worth living?
(b) Does man depend on other men?
(c) Are all suicides due to weak character?
(d) Why does life have hardships?
Short Answer Questions
1. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
2. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
3. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
4. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
5. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)