|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
(b) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(c) Plan his own suicide.
(d) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
2. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
(a) Camus leaves Paris.
(b) Camus leaves on his honeymoon.
(c) Camus dies in a car accident.
(d) Camus gets upset at Styron for his moods.
3. From Job to Styron's day, he says artists and writers have been trying to do what?
(a) Cheer up people who suffer from depression with their works.
(b) Build better relationships to overcome depression.
(c) Overcome the effects of depression that overcome artists.
(d) Explain the blackness of the fantasia of depression.
4. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
(b) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
(c) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
(d) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
5. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
(a) His doctor doesn't believe in it.
(b) He pretends that he had already had it.
(c) He refuses to let them do it.
(d) He begins to get better immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
2. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
3. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
4. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
5. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)