|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Styron calls depression:
(a) Disorder of mood.
(b) Very rare.
(c) Terrible sadness.
(d) Very common.
2. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
(a) Influenza and depression.
(b) Cancer and depression.
(c) Lukemia and depression.
(d) Melancholia and hypochondria.
3. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(b) Dr. Adkins.
(c) Dr. Gold.
(d) Dr. Adolf Meier.
4. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
(b) Retire early and write.
(c) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
(d) Give it all to charity.
5. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
(a) He was not really depressed, so why did he commit suicide?
(b) He was so young and vital.
(c) He was so valuable to mankind.
(d) He was such a good writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
2. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
3. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
4. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
5. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)