|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say would cause many depression-related suicides?
(a) Lack of psychiatric treatment protocols.
(b) Lack of moral strength by the depressed person.
(c) Lack of medicines to treat depression.
(d) Lack of awareness by others about the intensity of the pain.
2. Styron dates the onset of his deep depression to what event?
(a) His inability to drink alcohol.
(b) His wife's leaving him.
(c) The death of several of his friends.
(d) His chilren all leaving home.
3. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
(a) He was not really depressed, so why did he commit suicide?
(b) He was so valuable to mankind.
(c) He was such a good writer.
(d) He was so young and vital.
4. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Abbie Hoffman.
(b) Cino del Duca.
(c) Albert Camus.
(d) Romain Gary.
5. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
(a) Control of his anger.
(b) His mind.
(c) His check for $25,000.
(d) His best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
2. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
3. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
4. How does his diary represent his mental state?
5. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)