|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
(a) The restaurant he went to after getting his award.
(b) The French bidet.
(c) Paris museums.
(d) His memoir.
2. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
(b) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
(c) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
(d) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
3. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
(a) His editor asked him to write the memoir.
(b) He learned his piece had saved someone's life, so wanted to reach out with more information.
(c) People indicated they just didn't understand depression.
(d) The number of people reacting positively causes him to think sharing his experiences would be beneficial.
4. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
(b) He finds inspiration for another book.
(c) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
(d) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
5. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
(a) Hopelessness and despair.
(b) Despondency and fear.
(c) Terror and fascination.
(d) Love for his wife and hopelessness for himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Styron, what is the most devastating loss of physical functions?
2. Who is Styron's literary guide?
3. What hope does Styron say a depressed person can have?
4. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
5. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)