|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
(a) To satisfy his wife, who demanded he get treatment.
(b) To receive the medicines he thought would help him.
(c) To look good to the press.
(d) To get help for his friend, Camus.
2. According to Styron, what is the touchstone of depression?
3. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(b) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
(c) Plan his own suicide.
(d) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
4. How does Styron feel about his Connecticut farmhouse?
(a) He loves spending time there.
(b) He hates the house, preferring Martha's Vineyard.
(c) He thinks it needed lots of work.
(d) It feels ominous to him.
5. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
(a) Influenza and depression.
(b) Melancholia and hypochondria.
(c) Cancer and depression.
(d) Lukemia and depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, what is the greatest fallacy about suicide?
2. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
3. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
4. What reaction does Styron have to group therapy?
5. What reason does Styron give for taking the prescribed medicines without question?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)