|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "The Long Day."
(b) "Paradise Lost."
(c) "The Stranger."
(d) "Reflections of Life."
2. How does Styron describe his recovery from depression?
(a) He says he was suddenly ecstatic.
(b) He says he wasn't sure he was cured.
(c) He says it was a slow, painful process.
(d) He says he suddenly felt like a body with sweet bodily juices flowing through him.
3. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
(a) He dresses nicely for the person who will find him.
(b) He gathers a knife and some towels.
(c) He revises his will and tries to write a goodbye letter.
(d) He sends his wife away for a time so he would be alone.
4. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
(a) Almost a year.
(b) A month.
(c) Seven weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
5. What happens when Styron's medicine is changed?
(a) His depression deepens.
(b) He can't sleep at night.
(c) His suicidal thoughts cease.
(d) He becomes violent and has to be restrained.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
2. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
3. What conclusion can we make for what Styron says about his recovery?
4. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
5. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)