|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He can't think clearly anymore.
(b) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(c) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(d) He can't talk to his wife any more.
2. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
(a) Chemicals in the brain, behavior, and genetics.
(b) Anger, fear, and desolation.
(c) Early loss, weak character, and no support.
(d) Family trouble, job loss, and financial worries.
3. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
(a) He stopped writing altogether.
(b) Poetry, due to its emotional nature.
(c) Any upbeat writing.
(d) His goodbye letter.
4. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
(a) Numb, frail, disjointed, and clumsy.
(b) Energetic, strong, capable, and lively.
(c) Heavy, lethargic, awkward, and bloated.
(d) Manic, hyper, shaky, and strange.
5. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
(a) Camus gets upset at Styron for his moods.
(b) Camus leaves on his honeymoon.
(c) Camus leaves Paris.
(d) Camus dies in a car accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Styron compare medical treatment for depression?
2. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
3. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
4. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
5. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)