|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
(a) Tells him he was never going to recover.
(b) Tells him to leave his wife if he wanted to get better.
(c) Tells him he would have to wait ten days before starting his new medicine, and then it would take 6-8 weeks to work.
(d) Puts him in the hospital.
2. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
(a) Why doesn't the person just cheer up and get over it?
(b) Why would a person who has everything still be depressed?
(c) What medicines are effective?
(d) Why do some who suffered commit suicide while others don't?
3. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
(a) Black despondency, violent fluctuation of mood, and his deep depression.
(b) He had a terminal illness and was in pain.
(c) He wanted his wife to have money and his insurance would give it to her.
(d) He often mentioned life wasn't worth living.
4. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
(a) He was a political activist.
(b) He was a fellow writer and philosopher.
(c) He was a family member so depressed that he had no profession.
(d) He was Styron's psychiatrist.
5. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
(a) He takes naps and had nightmares during the nap.
(b) He gets sleepy and couldn't work.
(c) He suffers from panic and anxiety.
(d) He has to go to his doctor every afternoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
2. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
3. What new approach does Styron's psychiatrist use?
4. For Styron, what is the most devastating loss of physical functions?
5. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)