|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
(a) His friend, Gary.
(b) The parish priest in "Madame Bovary."
(c) His wife.
(d) A quack.
2. What is the old term for depression?
(a) Mental deficit.
(c) Manic depressive.
3. What does Styron say would cause many depression-related suicides?
(a) Lack of psychiatric treatment protocols.
(b) Lack of awareness by others about the intensity of the pain.
(c) Lack of moral strength by the depressed person.
(d) Lack of medicines to treat depression.
4. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
(a) He learned his piece had saved someone's life, so wanted to reach out with more information.
(b) People indicated they just didn't understand depression.
(c) The number of people reacting positively causes him to think sharing his experiences would be beneficial.
(d) His editor asked him to write the memoir.
5. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) All men suffer from deep depression.
(b) Depression never causes suicide.
(c) Depression always leads to suicide.
(d) Man's alienation from other men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
2. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
3. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
4. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
5. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)