|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
(b) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(c) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(d) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
2. What does Styron say about assigning reasons for suicide to those who take that route?
(a) That people who commit suicide are justified in doing it.
(b) That only weak people commit suicide.
(c) That people who commit suicide don't love their families.
(d) Most of the time the cause is not one incident, but overwhelming depression.
3. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
(a) Illness leads to depression.
(b) The mind can better accept that there is a physical cause than a mental one.
(c) Depressed persons have more illnesses.
(d) Depressed people are clumsy and suffer several injuries.
4. What is the old term for depression?
(b) Mental deficit.
(d) Manic depressive.
5. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
(a) Tells him he was never going to recover.
(b) Puts him in the hospital.
(c) Tells him he would have to wait ten days before starting his new medicine, and then it would take 6-8 weeks to work.
(d) Tells him to leave his wife if he wanted to get better.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
2. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
3. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
4. According to Styron, what is the touchstone of depression?
5. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)