|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece of music moves Styron to his breakthrough and hospitalization?
(a) Brahms's Alto Rhapsody.
(b) Chopin's Funeral March.
(c) Beethoven's Fifth.
(d) Halleluah Chorus.
2. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
(a) Visiting the museum.
(b) Seeing the Hotel.
(c) Seeing his two friends.
(d) Winning the award.
3. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
(a) Why do some who suffered commit suicide while others don't?
(b) Why doesn't the person just cheer up and get over it?
(c) Why would a person who has everything still be depressed?
(d) What medicines are effective?
4. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(b) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
(c) Their son was caught between their differences.
(d) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
5. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
(a) Potentially criminal people.
(b) The position of being in a black fog.
(c) The situation of the walking wounded.
(d) A sure suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though Styron feels alone, who is always with him?
2. According to Styron, what do people closest to those who commit suicide often do?
3. What does Styron do about his physical disabilities?
4. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
5. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)