|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
(a) He was a family member so depressed that he had no profession.
(b) He was a political activist.
(c) He was a fellow writer and philosopher.
(d) He was Styron's psychiatrist.
2. Styron calls depression:
(a) Terrible sadness.
(b) Very rare.
(c) Disorder of mood.
(d) Very common.
3. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
(b) Give it all to charity.
(c) Retire early and write.
(d) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
4. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(b) That his friends must be weak.
(c) That life isn't worth living.
(d) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
5. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
(a) It makes him realize mankind's responsibility for the larger world.
(b) It makes him realize depression could be overcome if the person just cheered himself up.
(c) It makes him realize depression was a personal thing.
(d) It makes him realize life is too short.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
2. Styron dates the onset of his deep depression to what event?
3. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
4. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
5. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)