|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the old term for depression?
(a) Mental deficit.
(d) Manic depressive.
2. What does Styron do about his physical disabilities?
(a) Stops work and stays at home.
(b) He undergoes several thousands of dollars of testing to find out he was physically fine.
(c) Gets scared he was going to die.
(d) Welcomes the possibility that he might die from one of them.
3. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
(a) He had heard her sing it.
(b) She played it on the piano.
(c) It spoke of a lady like her.
(d) It was played at her funeral.
4. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(b) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(c) He finally felt free again.
(d) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
5. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
(a) Lack of sexual interest.
(c) Extreme joy.
(d) Excessive sleepiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
2. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
3. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
4. What is a daily presence during the depth of Styron's depression?
5. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)