|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
(a) He doesn't like to travel.
(b) He believes one day in the near future he will take his own life.
(c) He had such a miserable time in Paris.
(d) It cost so much to go and he was nearly broke.
2. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
3. Though the death of the poet, Randall Jarrell, was ruled accidental, why does Styron say it was probably suicide?
(a) He wanted to discredit Jarrell because of a disagreement they had.
(b) Because of Jarrell's depression and the fact there was no reason for him to be on the road on which he was struck by a car.
(c) He didn't want Jarrell's widow to receive the large insurance settlement.
(d) He wanted to gain support for his theory that depression led to suicide.
4. How does Styron feel about his Connecticut farmhouse?
(a) He hates the house, preferring Martha's Vineyard.
(b) He loves spending time there.
(c) He thinks it needed lots of work.
(d) It feels ominous to him.
5. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
(a) The bathrooms have bidets in them.
(b) He doesn't eat anything while he was there.
(c) He refuses to go to a luncheon in his honor.
(d) He doesn't visit anything but the museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
2. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
3. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
4. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
5. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)