|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
(a) His doctor treated him with the wrong drug.
(b) His friends deserted him.
(c) He could not longer drink any alcohol at all.
(d) His wife cheated on him.
2. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(b) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
(c) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
(d) Plan his own suicide.
3. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To go to the hospital for treatment.
(b) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
(c) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(d) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
4. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
(a) Melancholia and hypochondria.
(b) Cancer and depression.
(c) Lukemia and depression.
(d) Influenza and depression.
5. Though the death of the poet, Randall Jarrell, was ruled accidental, why does Styron say it was probably suicide?
(a) He didn't want Jarrell's widow to receive the large insurance settlement.
(b) He wanted to gain support for his theory that depression led to suicide.
(c) Because of Jarrell's depression and the fact there was no reason for him to be on the road on which he was struck by a car.
(d) He wanted to discredit Jarrell because of a disagreement they had.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
2. Who is Styron's literary guide?
3. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
4. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
5. What is the award Styron receives?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)