|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
(b) That it was a form of suicide.
(c) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
(d) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
2. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
(a) Hopelessness and despair.
(b) Terror and fascination.
(c) Despondency and fear.
(d) Love for his wife and hopelessness for himself.
3. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Constant weepiness.
(b) Lack of cohesive thought.
(c) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(d) Withdrawal from friendships.
4. What does Styron say about assigning reasons for suicide to those who take that route?
(a) That people who commit suicide don't love their families.
(b) Most of the time the cause is not one incident, but overwhelming depression.
(c) That only weak people commit suicide.
(d) That people who commit suicide are justified in doing it.
5. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(a) Damp weather.
(b) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
(d) Screaming until he was hoarse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
2. What is Styron not able to recover?
3. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
4. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
5. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)