|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
(a) Medicine to treat it.
(b) Doctors who know what to do.
(c) Good hospitals.
(d) The hope of deliverance is absent and makes it almost impossible to endure.
2. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Loss of friendships.
(b) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
(d) Intense anxiety.
3. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
(a) His wife left him.
(b) Styron sunk deeper into a depressive state.
(c) The suicide of Abbie Hoffman.
(d) His whole family rejected him.
4. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It made him feel high.
(b) It kept him from catching illnesses.
(c) It helped him relax with his friends.
(d) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
5. What is the second stage of psychological development in depression?
(b) Physical pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
2. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
3. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
4. According to Styron, what is the touchstone of depression?
5. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)