|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
(b) School teacherrs.
(d) Artistic types.
2. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
(a) Styron was in the hospital.
(b) Styron refused to come out of his room.
(c) Styron had left to go to Paris.
(d) Styron had only smiled in a few pictures but still looked as if in despair.
3. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
4. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
(a) It gives him some ideas about stories he wants to write.
(b) It causes him to stop writing for a while.
(c) It causes him to want to write much better than he felt Camus did.
(d) It leads to his using a narrator on death row to tell the story in "Confessions of Nat Turner."
5. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
(a) His friends deserted him.
(b) He could not longer drink any alcohol at all.
(c) His doctor treated him with the wrong drug.
(d) His wife cheated on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say depression is like?
2. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
3. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
4. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
5. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)