|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the old term for depression?
(a) Manic depressive.
(b) Mental deficit.
2. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That he has come full circle.
(b) That his life has been great.
(c) That he did have some good times in the past.
(d) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
3. At what point in one's life does Styron say the seeds of depression are planted?
(a) In childhood.
(b) There is not one particular time, it varies.
(c) In early adulthood.
(d) In middle age.
4. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
(a) He gets angry and speaks hatefully to them.
(b) He brags through the whole dinner party about his accomplishments.
(c) He cries throughout the dinner because of his depression.
(d) He is catatonic and does not speak.
5. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(a) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
(b) Rich people.
(d) Poor people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the failure of medicines to act quickly have on the depressed person?
2. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
3. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
4. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
5. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)