|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point in one's life does Styron say the seeds of depression are planted?
(a) There is not one particular time, it varies.
(b) In childhood.
(c) In early adulthood.
(d) In middle age.
2. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
(a) He feels safe for the first time since he became depressed.
(b) He is afraid his friends will desert him.
(c) He is afraid his wife will leave him.
(d) He is depressed about it.
3. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
(b) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
(c) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
(d) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
4. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
(b) Retire early and write.
(c) Give it all to charity.
(d) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
5. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
2. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
3. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
4. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
5. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)