|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(b) To go to the hospital for treatment.
(c) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
(d) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
2. How does his diary represent his mental state?
(a) It was a treatise on mental illness.
(b) It corresponded to his moods as he wrote about them.
(c) That when he wanted to destroy it, he was close to his own death.
(d) It contained all his thoughts and feelings.
3. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
(b) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
(c) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
(d) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
4. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
(a) The position of being in a black fog.
(b) A sure suicide.
(c) Potentially criminal people.
(d) The situation of the walking wounded.
5. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
(a) That he is recovering.
(b) That he needs to get a handle on it.
(c) That he is a very weak person to let it rule his life.
(d) It will take his life if allowed to continue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
2. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
3. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
4. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
5. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)