|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(b) That his friends must be weak.
(c) That life isn't worth living.
(d) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
2. What is the award Styron receives?
(a) Newberry Award.
(b) Nobel Peace Prize.
(c) He didn't receive one, he was giving one.
(d) Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award.
3. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many people thought Styron was weak.
(b) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
(c) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
(d) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
4. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(b) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
(c) Rich people.
(d) Poor people.
5. According to Styron, what is the touchstone of depression?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
2. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
3. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
4. What is Styron not able to recover?
5. How does his diary represent his mental state?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)