|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
2. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
(a) Terror and fascination.
(b) Love for his wife and hopelessness for himself.
(c) Hopelessness and despair.
(d) Despondency and fear.
3. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Romain Gary.
(b) Cino del Duca.
(c) Abbie Hoffman.
(d) Albert Camus.
4. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
(b) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
(c) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
(d) Many people thought Styron was weak.
5. What is the old term for depression?
(a) Manic depressive.
(d) Mental deficit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
2. What does Styron say depression is like?
3. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
4. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
5. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)