|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Withdrawal from friendships.
(b) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(c) Constant weepiness.
(d) Lack of cohesive thought.
2. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
(a) Styron had only smiled in a few pictures but still looked as if in despair.
(b) Styron refused to come out of his room.
(c) Styron was in the hospital.
(d) Styron had left to go to Paris.
3. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
(a) Drink huge amounts of alcohol.
(b) Clung to familiar items like glasses and pens.
(c) Take long walks in the woods.
(d) Get his doctor to give him more medicine.
4. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
(a) He gets angry and speaks hatefully to them.
(b) He cries throughout the dinner because of his depression.
(c) He brags through the whole dinner party about his accomplishments.
(d) He is catatonic and does not speak.
5. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
(a) "Life is no longer worth it."
(b) "No more words; an act. I'll never write again."
(c) "I am sorry for any pain I cause. My pain is greater."
(d) "This is the end. Don't mourn."
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
2. What new approach does Styron's psychiatrist use?
3. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
4. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
5. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)