|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Styron spend his summers?
(a) In Florida.
(b) At Martha's Vineyard.
(c) On his farm in Connecticut.
(d) In Paris.
2. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
3. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
(a) Write even more in an attempt to understand it.
(b) Go to bed for hours every day.
(c) Try to kill himself.
(d) Run away from his wife and home.
4. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That he did have some good times in the past.
(b) That his life has been great.
(c) That he has come full circle.
(d) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
5. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
(a) At a writer's conference.
(b) At the del Duco award dinner.
(c) He had never really met him, only talked to him.
(d) At a democratic convention.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
2. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
3. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
4. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
5. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)