|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Cino del Duca.
(b) Albert Camus.
(c) Abbie Hoffman.
(d) Romain Gary.
2. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He finally felt free again.
(b) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(c) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
(d) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
3. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That his life has been great.
(b) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
(c) That he did have some good times in the past.
(d) That he has come full circle.
4. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
(a) He is angry at his friends.
(b) He is very sleepy.
(c) He is disoriented.
(d) That he appears not to feel well.
5. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
(a) His whole family rejected him.
(b) His wife left him.
(c) The suicide of Abbie Hoffman.
(d) Styron sunk deeper into a depressive state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
2. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
3. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
4. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
5. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)