|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
(a) Cino del Duco
(b) Romain Gary.
(c) William Styron.
(d) Rose Styron.
2. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "Man's madness is his downfall."
(b) "Madness breeds madness."
(c) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
(d) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
3. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) All men suffer from deep depression.
(b) Depression never causes suicide.
(c) Man's alienation from other men.
(d) Depression always leads to suicide.
4. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
(a) He couldn't write so well because of the immobility of depression.
(b) Its complexity made the memoir about only one person limited.
(c) He couldn't give good advice because the depression made him suicidal.
(d) He had to be hospitalized so couldn't finish the memoir in the manner he wanted.
5. Though the death of the poet, Randall Jarrell, was ruled accidental, why does Styron say it was probably suicide?
(a) Because of Jarrell's depression and the fact there was no reason for him to be on the road on which he was struck by a car.
(b) He didn't want Jarrell's widow to receive the large insurance settlement.
(c) He wanted to gain support for his theory that depression led to suicide.
(d) He wanted to discredit Jarrell because of a disagreement they had.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
2. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
3. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
4. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
5. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)