|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
(a) Levi was involved in so many good causes.
(b) Levi had survived the Auschwitz and cared for his paralyzed mother.
(c) Levi worked out all the time and was very strong.
(d) Levi was such a good writer.
2. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) The psychiatrist's bible.
(b) Very inaccurate guide.
(c) A good manual.
(d) A guide to treatment.
3. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
(a) What medicines are effective?
(b) Why would a person who has everything still be depressed?
(c) Why doesn't the person just cheer up and get over it?
(d) Why do some who suffered commit suicide while others don't?
4. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
(a) That he is recovering.
(b) That he needs to get a handle on it.
(c) It will take his life if allowed to continue.
(d) That he is a very weak person to let it rule his life.
5. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
(b) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
(c) The title didn't fit the story.
(d) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
2. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
3. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
4. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
5. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)