|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is depression at its worst?
(a) A blue state.
(b) Painful sorrow.
(c) Fake feelings of sadness.
2. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
(a) It causes him to stop writing for a while.
(b) It causes him to want to write much better than he felt Camus did.
(c) It gives him some ideas about stories he wants to write.
(d) It leads to his using a narrator on death row to tell the story in "Confessions of Nat Turner."
3. What is the old term for depression?
(c) Mental deficit.
(d) Manic depressive.
4. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "Paradise Lost."
(b) "The Long Day."
(c) "The Stranger."
(d) "Reflections of Life."
5. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(b) More women than men.
(c) Only five.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
2. Who is Styron's literary guide?
3. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
4. What is Styron not able to recover?
5. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)