|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That his friends must be weak.
(b) That life isn't worth living.
(c) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(d) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
2. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
(a) Trouble with his wife.
(b) He begins to suffer nausea when drinking alcohol, which he had depended upon.
(c) The loss of several friends to suicide.
(d) Being isolated in Connecticut in the winter.
3. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Does man depend on other men?
(b) Are all suicides due to weak character?
(c) Is life worth living?
(d) Why does life have hardships?
4. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
(b) Excessive sleepiness.
(c) Extreme joy.
(d) Lack of sexual interest.
5. How did Levi commit suicide?
(a) Hurled himself down a flight of stairs.
(b) Stepped in front of a moving car.
(c) Hung himself.
(d) Took an overdose of pills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
2. What is the old term for depression?
3. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
4. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
5. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)