|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
(b) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
(c) Whether to tell his wife or not.
(d) What doctor to see about it.
2. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
(a) Anger, fear, and desolation.
(b) Chemicals in the brain, behavior, and genetics.
(c) Family trouble, job loss, and financial worries.
(d) Early loss, weak character, and no support.
3. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
(a) He had never really met him, only talked to him.
(b) At a writer's conference.
(c) At a democratic convention.
(d) At the del Duco award dinner.
4. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
(a) It is a depressant, but didn't depress him.
(b) It lightened his mood for a good amount of time.
(c) It is an upper, but depressed him.
(d) It had no effect on his mood.
5. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
(a) Visiting the museum.
(b) Seeing the Hotel.
(c) Seeing his two friends.
(d) Winning the award.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
2. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
3. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
4. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
5. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)