|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
(a) Early loss, weak character, and no support.
(b) Chemicals in the brain, behavior, and genetics.
(c) Anger, fear, and desolation.
(d) Family trouble, job loss, and financial worries.
2. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
3. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
(a) Cocaine and alcohol.
(b) Alcohol and Halcion.
(c) Tobacco and alcohol.
(d) Heroin and tobacco.
4. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) Their son was caught between their differences.
(b) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
(c) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(d) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
5. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
(a) It is an upper, but depressed him.
(b) It had no effect on his mood.
(c) It lightened his mood for a good amount of time.
(d) It is a depressant, but didn't depress him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say depression is like?
2. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
3. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
4. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
5. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)