|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
(a) Anger, fear, and desolation.
(b) Family trouble, job loss, and financial worries.
(c) Chemicals in the brain, behavior, and genetics.
(d) Early loss, weak character, and no support.
2. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He can't talk to his wife any more.
(b) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(c) He can't think clearly anymore.
(d) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
3. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(b) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(c) He finally felt free again.
(d) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
4. What is Styron not able to recover?
(a) His friendships.
(b) His fame.
(c) His family.
(d) His lucidity.
5. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
(b) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
(c) "Man's madness is his downfall."
(d) "Madness breeds madness."
Short Answer Questions
1. Styron calls depression:
2. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
3. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
4. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
5. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)