|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
(a) He wanted his wife to have money and his insurance would give it to her.
(b) Black despondency, violent fluctuation of mood, and his deep depression.
(c) He often mentioned life wasn't worth living.
(d) He had a terminal illness and was in pain.
2. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
(a) He learned his piece had saved someone's life, so wanted to reach out with more information.
(b) People indicated they just didn't understand depression.
(c) The number of people reacting positively causes him to think sharing his experiences would be beneficial.
(d) His editor asked him to write the memoir.
3. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
(b) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(c) Plan his own suicide.
(d) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
4. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
(b) A year.
(c) A couple of years.
(d) A month.
5. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
(a) That Gary saw the same depression in himself, though it was controlled.
(b) He didn't believe Camus really suffered from depression.
(c) He knew Camus was going to commit suicide and did nothing about it.
(d) He had tried to convince Camus to get help.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
2. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
3. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
4. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
5. Who is Styron's literary guide?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)