|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron not able to recover?
(a) His family.
(b) His friendships.
(c) His fame.
(d) His lucidity.
2. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
(b) School teacherrs.
(d) Artistic types.
3. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
(a) People can't understand what it means.
(b) It indicates a weak person.
(c) It is the word for a hole in the ground, which is very demeaning for a name of a major illness.
(d) It has not been heard of before.
4. Where does Styron spend his summers?
(a) At Martha's Vineyard.
(b) In Florida.
(c) In Paris.
(d) On his farm in Connecticut.
5. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
(a) It gives him some ideas about stories he wants to write.
(b) It causes him to want to write much better than he felt Camus did.
(c) It leads to his using a narrator on death row to tell the story in "Confessions of Nat Turner."
(d) It causes him to stop writing for a while.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
2. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
3. At what point in one's life does Styron say the seeds of depression are planted?
4. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
5. When is depression at its worst?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)