|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
(b) New York.
2. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
(a) A month.
(b) A year.
(d) A couple of years.
3. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
(b) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
(c) He didn't know Camus very well.
(d) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
4. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
(b) That his life has been great.
(c) That he did have some good times in the past.
(d) That he has come full circle.
5. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
(b) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
(c) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(d) Their son was caught between their differences.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
2. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
3. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
4. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
5. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)