|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
2. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) The psychiatrist's bible.
(b) Very inaccurate guide.
(c) A guide to treatment.
(d) A good manual.
3. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
(a) Being isolated in Connecticut in the winter.
(b) The loss of several friends to suicide.
(c) He begins to suffer nausea when drinking alcohol, which he had depended upon.
(d) Trouble with his wife.
4. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
(a) Introduced him to Lady del Duco in hopes of winning the award in the future.
(b) Testified for him at a trial in Chicago.
(c) Referred him to a psychiatrist in New York.
(d) He never really met Hoffman, so didn't do anything for him.
5. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(b) That his friends must be weak.
(c) That life isn't worth living.
(d) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
2. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
3. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
4. How did Levi commit suicide?
5. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)