|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(b) Withdrawal from friendships.
(c) Lack of cohesive thought.
(d) Constant weepiness.
2. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
(a) Penicillin and Halcion.
(b) Halcion and Ibuprofen.
(c) Halcion and Ativan.
(d) Prozac and Ativan.
3. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
(a) Because he didn't know what depression looked like.
(b) Because Gary was so good at hiding his feelings.
(c) Because Gary always had a melancholy typical of Europeans.
(d) Because he rarely talked to Gary.
4. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
(a) Camus dies in a car accident.
(b) Camus gets upset at Styron for his moods.
(c) Camus leaves on his honeymoon.
(d) Camus leaves Paris.
5. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
(a) They didn't believe it.
(b) They were devastated and grieved over it.
(c) They were mystified and believed him to be weak.
(d) They tried to ignore him and his work after that.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
2. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
3. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
4. What does Styron think after his flashback?
5. Though the death of the poet, Randall Jarrell, was ruled accidental, why does Styron say it was probably suicide?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)