|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Retire early and write.
(b) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
(c) Give it all to charity.
(d) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
2. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
(a) It is an upper, but depressed him.
(b) It had no effect on his mood.
(c) It lightened his mood for a good amount of time.
(d) It is a depressant, but didn't depress him.
3. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) Job and Milton.
(b) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
(c) His son and brother.
(d) His father and brother.
4. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
(b) "Man's madness is his downfall."
(c) "Madness breeds madness."
(d) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
5. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
(a) He knows his friend will be his friend again.
(b) He feels he is justified in getting angry.
(c) He knows he will be okay later.
(d) He is so depressed and lethargic that nothing matters to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
2. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
3. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
4. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
5. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)