|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
(a) That he needs to get a handle on it.
(b) It will take his life if allowed to continue.
(c) That he is a very weak person to let it rule his life.
(d) That he is recovering.
2. Styron calls depression:
(a) Terrible sadness.
(b) Very common.
(c) Very rare.
(d) Disorder of mood.
3. What is the award Styron receives?
(a) Nobel Peace Prize.
(b) He didn't receive one, he was giving one.
(c) Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award.
(d) Newberry Award.
4. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
(a) Camus leaves Paris.
(b) Camus gets upset at Styron for his moods.
(c) Camus leaves on his honeymoon.
(d) Camus dies in a car accident.
5. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
(b) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
(c) Many people thought Styron was weak.
(d) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
2. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
3. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
4. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
5. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)